Author Topic: switches "ringing"  (Read 23741 times)

Offline Asureas

switches "ringing"
« on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:18:37 »
Recently bought a Corsair V95 keyboard with cherry MX brown switches for a new build computer that I was had built - (saved up everyone seemed happy with it), not used a mechanical keyboard for a long time (last one was probably BBC B!)

Compared with the membrane laptop switches that I have the keys feel alot lighter to press, I can just about feel the click when pressing them - I'm guessing that the membrane laptop keyboard I've been used to has blunted me to most of them.

One thing nobody seemed to have mentioned but is very noticible to me is a mechanical spring/bell like ringing when releasing the keys - I thought it was due to me bottoming out the keys and tapping the keyboard itself (aluminium - also something new). I can probably learn to use the keyboard but the ringing sound after every key-press is quite annoying for me - is this common, is it a fault, am I doing something wrong?

Would appreciate any advice - this seems to be the place to come to ask keyboard related questions!

Offline zslane

Re: switches "ringing"
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:21:00 »
I'd have to hear an audio sample of what you're referring to, but it sounds like it could just be stabilizer rattle.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:21:16 »
the word you are looking for is ping

Offline hapakey

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:02:59 »
Ping!

Offline Asureas

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:17:36 »
Ah - so my question is is pinging an intrinsic feature of mechanical keyboards (like I said so long since I've used one!) or is it something I can get rid of.

Thanks!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:21:17 »
What you describe sounds like "ping". I think it is inherent in most mechanical keyboards to some extent, but it seems to be worse in some particular specimens.

In my experience, things that make it worse/more apparent are 1. typing very hard (bottoming out with a lot of force) 2. typing on a hard surface like a metal or thin wooden desk (try putting your keyboard on a large desk size mouse pad to fix that). 3. Type of switch (clicky switches seem to be a little more prone to it imo, but linears aren't immune. Buckling spring has the most noticeable ping).

I've not used switch lube before, but it might help. I'm not sure though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:22:50 »
Ping!

Wow!
Ah - so my question is is pinging an intrinsic feature of mechanical keyboards (like I said so long since I've used one!) or is it something I can get rid of.

Thanks!

There are ways to get rid of it yes, dampening on the inside of the case and setting it on a soft surface like a mousemat can help with this. Also, no it isn't an intrinsic feature lol.

I dont want to speak to the quality of corsair, because this can happen on most modern keyboards. Also it depends how sensitive you are to the pinging, some people cant hear it while others can't not hear it.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 13:05:49 »
Ping!

Wow!

Thanks!

There are ways to get rid of it yes, dampening on the inside of the case and setting it on a soft surface like a mousemat can help with this. Also, no it isn't an intrinsic feature lol.

I dont want to speak to the quality of corsair, because this can happen on most modern keyboards. Also it depends how sensitive you are to the pinging, some people cant hear it while others can't not hear it.

I would like to point out that most of the ping I've heard is on the upstroke of the switch and is most prevalent on heavy spring switches.  I most often experience it with MX Clears, but I have a vintage MX Black plate-mounted switch that will ping from time to time.

Housing also matters, too.  I seem to get way less of it on sturdy, aluminum housing.

Offline Aelon

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:05:39 »
I know that annoying pinging noise. Unfortunately it also exists in Logitech's new Romer-G switches or more specifically G810 keyboard.

I am using a Logitech G810 keyboard since december and sometimes that pinging noise becomes unbearable. My computer's case is at next room (Keyboard, mouse, monitor, peripherals are connected by extra long 5 meter cables through a hole in the wall) so my room is very silent and unfortunately this makes me hear that annoying ping sounds even more. Sometimes my computer's case is also in my room and those times I am less annoyed or even don't notice the ping sound because of the noise coming from the fans of computer's case.

But that pinging sound may be result of perhaps bad PCB or Keyboard case design because I also have a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and that keyboard doesn't have that ping problem.

I've tried many things including using the keyboard on a towel but none worked to stop that ping sound :(

Offline disposalist

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:09:02 »
I recently did tests on 7 or 8 gaming keyboards and, yes, a couple of them reverberated.  You can even just tap the case, not even hit a key and you can hear it.

It's like there's a big metal spring inside that vibrates when you tap the board.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:38:42 »
I recently did tests on 7 or 8 gaming keyboards and, yes, a couple of them reverberated.  You can even just tap the case, not even hit a key and you can hear it.

It's like there's a big metal spring inside that vibrates when you tap the board.

Apart from the "big metal spring"lol, the keyboards that reverberate are in need of some dampening modding. If your boards want to behave they will quieten down.
Welcome to the land of ping!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 May 2017, 03:28:32 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:57:11 »
Reverberation travels from one switch to others through the plate - or even through the PCB. I have a vintage MX Black keyboard with PCB-mounted switches that pings.

How to design a keyboard to ping less does not seem to be much understood by keyboard manufacturers.

BTW. The metal plate that is the top on Corsair keyboards is also present in other keyboards that have plastic borders between the keys - it is just that the plate is inside the plastic case in those.
I think that the key to minimizing ping is to suspend that plate inside the case in the right way - but I am don't yet know how.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 03:52:54 »
Reverberation travels from one switch to others through the plate - or even through the PCB. I have a vintage MX Black keyboard with PCB-mounted switches that pings.

Reading this days before my g80-3000 arrives... Thank goodness I'm not superstitious or I would be hugging metal stuff now  :-X

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 18:55:05 »
Recently bought a Corsair V95 keyboard with cherry MX brown switches for a new build computer that I was had built... Compared with the membrane laptop switches that I have the keys feel alot lighter to press, I can just about feel the click when pressing them... One thing nobody seemed to have mentioned but is very noticible to me is a mechanical spring/bell like ringing when releasing the keys - I thought it was due to me bottoming out the keys and tapping the keyboard itself (aluminium - also something new). I can probably learn to use the keyboard but the ringing sound after every key-press is quite annoying for me - is this common, is it a fault, am I doing something wrong?

Dude, I don't know what to tell you... When you buy a board with mechanical switches and a metal case, you're no longer using one with rubber switches and a plastic case. You've gone, er, mechanical—which is great, but naturally you're going to get a different sound now. Or rather, I should say, any sound.

It's like trading your VW in for a sports car. Suddenly you have this well-tooled speed machine. Are you going to complain because the engine's louder?

Most MK maniacs like the sounds their boards make. Have you ever used an IBM Model M, or a clicky Alps board? Believe me, your Corsair isn't nearly as loud. The clickety-clack is part of the fun. It means you're typing—yeah!

If you can see it that way, maybe it won't annoy you as much. Like so many things in life, your attitude is probably what's most important.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 01:59:13 »
I use PCB mounted keyboard like g80-3000 and g80-1800, plus some pok3r. No ping at all.

Offline killyou

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 06:43:40 »
It will not go away, you can only slightly reduce it. I used to have a cheap chinese board with Kailh Blue, all plastic and it had a terrible ping. So bad that I let go immediately. Later I acquired Magicforce 68 and it was pinging a little that I could reduce it to non-annoying level with shelf liner inside the case and on the desk to reduce vibrations. My newly gotten Vortex Pok3r doesn't ping at all and oddly enough that's the quietest mechanical keyboard I typed on. I'm extremely pleased with it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 May 2017, 06:58:19 by killyou »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 07:30:26 »
It will not go away, you can only slightly reduce it. I used to have a cheap chinese board with Kailh Blue, all plastic and it had a terrible ping. So bad that I let go immediately. Later I acquired Magicforce 68 and it was pinging a little that I could reduce it to non-annoying level with shelf liner inside the case and on the desk to reduce vibrations. My newly gotten Vortex Pok3r doesn't ping at all and oddly enough that's the quietest mechanical keyboard I typed on. I'm extremely pleased with it.

If a keyboard pings, it means that it has been engineered very poorly. Eliminating the resonance by adding supports is the simplest thing ever.

Offline hapakey

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 16:52:09 »
Ping?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 18:22:04 »
Ping?

Ping is keyboard language for ring

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 22:35:47 »
Lubing the switches might help.  Or putting a sheet of drawer liner inside the keyboard case.

Also resting the keyboard on a rubber mat (or more drawer liner).

If all else fails and you are unable to embrace the pinging, a good pair of headphones and some music of your choice should help.

I have a CODE with MX clears, and many people have experienced a lot pf ping from those.  Mine pings a little bit, but I only really notice it if I'm concentrating, and even then it just sounds like wind chimes.

If I run a finger across the keyboard and let the switches snap back up, as opposed to just typing normally, then the ping is much more noticeable.  But then I don't tend to run my fingers across the keyboard like that much anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 15:30:49 »
Lubing the switches might help.  Or putting a sheet of drawer liner inside the keyboard case.

Also resting the keyboard on a rubber mat (or more drawer liner).

If all else fails and you are unable to embrace the pinging, a good pair of headphones and some music of your choice should help.
^ Which is exactly why I bring my Filco out for a spin ONLY when I have listen to podcasts while trying to rewrite my brain for Dvorak.