Author Topic: USB Hub != Eye Candy ?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline el_murdoque

USB Hub != Eye Candy ?
« on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:35:28 »

My home system is slowly coming together. I have a Preonic from the latest Drop order with vintage Cherry keycaps, a coiled cable with aviation connector is in the mail as I type this and I also enjoy my desk mat. The only thing that bothers me is the USB Lines I run from my desktop to my computer. I have the keyboard, mouse, (a soon to arrive keypad) and a PS3 controller wired to the ports on the back of my PC. Since none of these require a lot of bandwidth, I thought about running a single USB cable to the computer under the desk and use a nice USB Hub to connect it all.
So I asked Google and found out that a necessary condition USB Hubs seems to be that they must be ugly.

Is there a possibility to shop for a nice looking USB hub? Where?

Offline yui

Re: USB Hub != Eye Candy ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:16:11 »
either you can get a cheap one and integrate it into something else, or in the more expensive ranges i remember seeing some rather nice brushed alu and black a while back, when i was in the market for a hub, although i am not sure if it would look better.
nowadays with laptops having less and less ports we may see more hub option resurface, it was a bit of a lost art with pc having 6+ ports minimum.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:29:11 »
you mean you don't toss a USB PCB into every available slot so you can have about 30 cables running out the back of your rig like a squid eating an octopus?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 13:38:37 »
you mean you don't toss a USB PCB into every available slot so you can have about 30 cables running out the back of your rig like a squid eating an octopus?
I thought you were supposed to do that to appease Cthulhu

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 17:25:09 »
I thought you were supposed to do that to appease Cthulhu

2020 has sated his annual sacrifice quota months ago so this is just for bonus Eldritch karma

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 21:06:53 »
My home system is slowly coming together. I have a Preonic from the latest Drop order with vintage Cherry keycaps, a coiled cable with aviation connector is in the mail as I type this and I also enjoy my desk mat. The only thing that bothers me is the USB Lines I run from my desktop to my computer. I have the keyboard, mouse, (a soon to arrive keypad) and a PS3 controller wired to the ports on the back of my PC. Since none of these require a lot of bandwidth, I thought about running a single USB cable to the computer under the desk and use a nice USB Hub to connect it all.
So I asked Google and found out that a necessary condition USB Hubs seems to be that they must be ugly.

Is there a possibility to shop for a nice looking USB hub? Where?

So you put a big-$$ bulky cable and connector only to then complain you want to hide the cables?
Make up your mind, either you want to see the cables or you don't.

My advice, bolt an ugly hub to the underside at the rear of your desk, or to the back of your monitor (your monitor may even have a hub in it). Plug everything to that, then run the cords over.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 10:22:29 »

So you put a big-$$ bulky cable and connector only to then complain you want to hide the cables?
Make up your mind, either you want to see the cables or you don't.

My advice, bolt an ugly hub to the underside at the rear of your desk, or to the back of your monitor (your monitor may even have a hub in it). Plug everything to that, then run the cords over.

Seems like that is the way to go. I found a brushed metal one that is meant to be screwed to the edge of the desk. I can hide that one pretty well and have the cables that are meant to be exposed exposed.

My squid eating octopus is doing fine with all of the other cables coming out of it, don't worry.