Author Topic: Do you boil water ?  (Read 15334 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you boil water ?
« on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 18:29:51 »
Tp4 boils the water because he no trust the county's water report.  They always pass with flying colors.  Which means it's likely they're fudging the numbers.

Tp4 also knows a guy who used to work at one of the water treatment centers, he told Tp4 that they routinely get pressured by their bosses to fudge numbers, nothing huge.deadly, but equivalent to swinging a 7 to a 10.

With 'murica's crumbling infrastructure.what.not..   THoughts ??

291004-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Do you boil water ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 19:04:01 »
I use a water filter for drinking and otherwise use it as-is.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 20:53:12 »
I use a filtered pitcher, but those filter replacements sure add up annually.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 04:32:34 »
Nope, drinking water here is about six times cleaner than bottled mineral water. Measured it myself in the lab xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 08:25:23 »
Nope, drinking water here is about six times cleaner than bottled mineral water. Measured it myself in the lab xD .

damn you and your non_crumbling infrastructure.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 09:18:56 »
I use a filter-pitcher for drinking water. I boil the water I use for rinsing my nose.

Offline udller

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 09:50:35 »
i boil water when i need to cook pasta or noodles.

i only drink tap water if its been cooled in the fridge. mostly drink boxed water.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 10:50:01 »
I drink straight from the toilet

Offline butre

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 11:10:00 »
I only drink ditch water.  I've named all my prions.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 07:32:57 »
I drink it straight out of the hose connected to lead piping, lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 07:43:32 »
Well tbf boiling it wouldn't make it less toxic in that case, in fact it would make it MORE toxic xD .

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 01:47:16 »
no i have a filter  :D
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 02:24:48 »
does boiling urine make it safe to drink?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 06:36:20 »
It's not the bacteria in (a healthy person's) urine that makes it bad to drink, it's organic compounds and salts. So boiling would, just like with the lead thing, make it worse.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 08:54:33 »

Fresh urine is generally almost sterile - it has just been filtered internally and not exposed to the outside world.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326830
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2022, 08:56:23 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 14:05:36 »
It's not the bacteria in (a healthy person's) urine that makes it bad to drink, it's organic compounds and salts. So boiling would, just like with the lead thing, make it worse.

So a strain through the coffee filter then?  Got it.  :thumb:

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 16:06:10 »
When I worked as a cashier I had some ****stick come through my line with a cart full of nothing but cases of water ( I was in the 12 items or less aisle and he had like 30 cases) Dude had that threatening ****ing jojo's aura. He was one of those people that you fear getting stabbed for crack money just being in their presence. When I commented about all the water (Which is the most you can do to shame a customer as a cashier :( ) he ranted about how the town's water was full of lead and he's never used the water as long as he's lived here. I just kinda nodded along and rang up the ****ing heavy cases of water. If not getting lead poisoning turns you into that guy then I'm good drinking tap water thanks.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 16:51:53 »
well, clearly the water was tainted,  that lead made him all wonky. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 18:42:33 »
When I worked as a cashier I had some ****stick come through my line with a cart full of nothing but cases of water ( I was in the 12 items or less aisle and he had like 30 cases) Dude had that threatening ****ing jojo's aura. He was one of those people that you fear getting stabbed for crack money just being in their presence. When I commented about all the water (Which is the most you can do to shame a customer as a cashier :( ) he ranted about how the town's water was full of lead and he's never used the water as long as he's lived here. I just kinda nodded along and rang up the ****ing heavy cases of water. If not getting lead poisoning turns you into that guy then I'm good drinking tap water thanks.
Why would you shame a customer for buying water? Oo

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 19:31:59 »

I was in the 12 items or less aisle and he had like 30 cases

Why would you shame a customer for buying water?

In the US many stores have "express" cashier lines for people who just want to dash in and out for a few items.
There is usually an understanding that heavy and bulky items create additional delays, so they should go through the regular lines for that reason alone.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 08:30:14 »
We usually buy bottles water but the last 6 months we have just been drinking out of tap... RIP

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 09:55:49 »
Normally in each home my family has lived in, we filter our tap water through a filtration system.   Most of the time we also have had a watercooler for the homes as well - my mom now buys cases of bottled water (I tend to just use a reusable jug/container).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 October 2022, 18:39:37 »

On a serious note, this isn't necessarily dangerous. Risk is in the eye of the beholder, but the rule of thumb is to let the tap run for at least a minute and never drink hot water out of the tap.  Also know your water source.

Calcification tends to build up inside lead pipes, keeping them from direct contact with the water. Running the tap for a minute will get rid of water that was standing in the pipes potentially leeching lead, and keeping the water cold will significantly lower the risk of eroding the calcification layer.

In my own testing when I lived in a house with lead piping, these practices lead to no detectable lead in the water. You should test your own setup as results may vary. Our city water was good so we didn't have to worry about things like a high Ph level potentially removing the calcium layer.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 04:04:15 »
Haha nice. :D
I drink straight from the tap as well, never had any sorta problems.

Offline Red Moon

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 14:11:26 »
Now I drink clean water from a filter, but in the past we boiled water and poured it into a jug as there was no filter.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 01:37:07 »
I imagine the water in all of Scandinavia is very clean as well?

Offline Jacob221

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 09:39:41 »
I boil the water to kill all the bacteria.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2022, 09:42:02 by Jacob221 »

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 12:57:29 »
Filter and boil for black tea

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 December 2022, 13:11:30 »
Honestly, I drink straight from my tap. We talked about getting a filter for the faucet but have not done it yet.

Offline RitzyKraken

• Ritzy Kraken
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 11:01:52 »
I have a cistern and a well for backup. I filter it through a DE filter and drink it as is. I have some test strips that I use regularly to test and it’s always fine.
Artisan wrist rest maker in the USA
https://www.instagram.com/ritzykraken/

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 18 January 2023, 11:23:11 »
Double filtering (only one filtration still tastes weird) and boil for tea and  Rea !!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 January 2023, 20:16:02 »
RODI, then re-introduce minerals precisely and individually to impart appropriate flavor.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 04:26:55 »
We drink bottled water, only boil for for tea and coffee.
Besides as far as I heard tap water in Scotland is clean enough to drink from tap. I had it few times, no diarrhea :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 09:04:47 »
We drink bottled water, only boil for for tea and coffee.
Besides as far as I heard tap water in Scotland is clean enough to drink from tap. I had it few times, no diarrhea :)

Yes I had it there too when I went. Great ! The best tap water I had is from hills near Lausanne in Switzerland and from some place in Scotland : )
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 09:16:13 »
don't think you'll get diarrhea from the tap in 'murica (in most places).  but the boiling is a just in case issue.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 17:10:54 »
Went to ireland for a week and the water tasted noticeably worse than US. Maybe I've just gotten used to the delicious lead and fluoride but sometimes it felt like I was on the verge of a stomach ache while drinking it (Not actually getting one but like you could feel one developing)
Going to Germany in August so we'll have to see how the mainland's water fares.
Also fun story. One nutjob came through my line while I was working as a grocery store cashier right? Dude had like 16 cases of water. Told me he didn't trust the water, that it was filled with lead, and that he never drank the water around here, and while I'd believe him he also came off as someone who bottles his own piss to preserve the purity of his body fluids.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 January 2023, 17:12:57 by CaesarAZealad »
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 18:10:38 »
Oh hey apparently I already talked about that lmao

Offline NumPadEnjoyer

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 19:12:23 »
I have a filter but I boil water only when I'm making tea

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 02:49:26 »
Is American drinking water really that bad to the point where you have to filter it/buy bottled water. Drinking tap water here is just fine, at least where I live, though I sometimes get bottled water if I'm out or I don't trust the water which is rarely and probably is safe, probably placebo effect for me.

semi related can there be an obvious indicator on the bottle whether it is sparkling water or not (Like a red sticker or something) I accidentally bought some sparkling water before watching a movie and split some of it on me. Also it probably happens in america but can we put non sparkling water bottles in those freezers outside the checkout, that's the only reason why I bought the sparkling water, because it was cold.

Offline Felerter

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 15:33:25 »
i boil water when i need to cook pasta or noodles.

i only drink tap water if its been cooled in the fridge. mostly drink boxed water.

The same here  :thumb:

Offline Strazor

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 23:59:29 »
Boiling water will kill any harmful living organisms present in the water.

It will not remove sediment, plastics, fibers, chemical contaminants, heavy metals, or poisons.

Boiling may render inert any harmful chemicals that are destroyed by heat, but it is not guaranteed to do so.

Anything present in the water before boiling will still be present after boiling, but, it will have been boiled.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 01:42:36 »
Tp4 boils the water because he no trust the county's water report.  They always pass with flying colors.  Which means it's likely they're fudging the numbers.

Tp4 also knows a guy who used to work at one of the water treatment centers, he told Tp4 that they routinely get pressured by their bosses to fudge numbers, nothing huge.deadly, but equivalent to swinging a 7 to a 10.

With 'murica's crumbling infrastructure.what.not..   THoughts ??

(Attachment Link)

Getting back to GH and reading tp4 threads makes me happy. Thats my thoughts :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 06:37:39 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 09:01:12 »

Is American drinking water really that bad

It varies wildly, even within a city. For example I used to live in a large metropolitan area where the north half had good water from a clean source, but the southern half had water from a different source.

As a general rule, with many exceptions of course, cleaner water coming more directly from natural sources will be much better tasting, and healthier, than water from "downstream" sources. And dissolved minerals are very hard to get out of it once they are in there.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 11:29:43 »

Welcome back :), Tp4 threads also make me happy as well, just the most random topics sometimes, some interesting stuff...

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 07:57:13 »
I imagine the water in all of Scandinavia is very clean as well?

that ancient viking glacier water fr
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D