Author Topic: Aluminum Cases: What Do They Do For YOU?  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Corsa1r

Aluminum Cases: What Do They Do For YOU?
« on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 22:03:32 »
I have never had the chance to try out a keyboard with an aluminum case, and for some reason, it wasn't anything I'd considered until today when looking at Massdrop's latest offering for a VA68M, which comes stock with an aluminum case.  I was lining up to put down some money on an FC660M with some light switches (Mx reds, likely), but the VA68M seems like a slightly better layout, with all the keys being standardized, and adding page up/down in the top-right corner.  The one thing that weirds me out is the aluminum case. 

I realize aluminum is obviously durable and weighs a bit more but, aside from that, how does it change the feel and sound of typing on a keyboard?
That's my first question.

And secondly,  for those that appreciate aluminum cases, what are your reasons for enjoying them?
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Aluminum Cases: What Do They Do For YOU?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 22:17:51 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:53:25 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 22:19:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:53:23 by alienman82 »

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 22:27:52 »
I have an aluminum case on my poker2 with clears. The added weight is definitely a plus in my book, especially for smaller keyboards which weigh less already. The added weight, imo, gives the board a higher quality overall look and feel. As for key sounds, the aluminum case on the poker creates an echo of sorts; I think some call it pinging. Honestly its not that big of a deal to me as the echo is quite low in volume, much lower than the sound created by the keycaps. However, if you do decide to get an aluminum case and the echo/ping bothers you, you can always put some sound dampening material beneath the pcb, laying directly on top of the bottom of the case. Many have done this and say it gives their keyboards a much better sound. To be honest, it's something I've thought about doing for some time now, just haven't gotten around to it.

Bottom line, you will just have to try one out to see what you prefer. There are some that will never use a board with an aluminum case (too heavy for travel, sound change, expense, etc.). I would say go with your gut. If you prefer the layout of the VA68M then go with it. However, if you are going with the VA68M just for the aluminum case, it might make more sense to get the fc660m and look for an aluminum case later on. In fact it looks like Massdrop did offer a case for the fc660m in the past, it could happen again or there may be someone trying to sell theirs.

Hope this helped!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 05:01:32 »
thatsmrdoctor pretty much answered the post very well.
I also enjoy the added weight especially on smaller boards. Makes them feel solid and it doesn't hurt the eyes either ;)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 06:21:33 »
Cases made of plastic make the keyboard quieter.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 06:43:20 »
An aluminium keyboard may still flex during typing, as long as the top-plate where the switches are mounted is not sturdy enough or not well supported.
AFAIK.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 07:56:35 »
Aluminium is a metal employed for lightness, not toughness. It's a very weak metal actually, and not great for structural purposes. I much prefer good old steel.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Irving

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 09:44:39 »
You'd be amazed how it improves switch feel.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:08:26 »
Aluminium is a metal employed for lightness, not toughness. It's a very weak metal actually, and not great for structural purposes. I much prefer good old steel.

As an engineer, I can tell you, most modern automotive and aerospace structural alloys are aluminium. You garden variety Pok3r aluminium case is just about the same alloy as the skin and frames/stringers on a modern civil airframe. For more demanding structural applications, 7000 series alloy has comparable tensile properties to many steel alloys. You don't use steel unless you really have to (unless you're a civil engineer, those jackasses just like to stick more steel and concrete on everything)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:53:36 »

As an engineer, I can tell you, most modern automotive and aerospace structural alloys are aluminium.
Yeah, I know that, but let's face it, lightness is of paramount importance in those applications. For keyboards, that's much less the case. Second, keyboard chassis aren't made out of NASA-grade aluminium alloys  :)) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 14:57:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:53:12 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 15:23:03 »
In a word? Heft. That's really all it is. I have just as much fun typing on my plastic cased boards as I do typing on my heavy Orion v2 with a copper weight insert. The solid weight is sick,but I also enjoy super light weight boards and anything in between really. I'm not very picky. I say this as someone who enjoys vintage boards and whose only modern OEM board is a Realforce, so that might be a little selective.

So what would it do for someone who's never used them? You'd first notice the finish and color, which is usually a bit different from typical plastic boards, then the weight, then the cold feel of the metal. It'd almost certainly strike you as premium.

Tray-mounted cases are pretty much guaranteed not to allow much flex at all in the plate, but that's not always a desirable thing. Sometimes flex is good to take some impact off your fingers. You're way more at risk for RSI and other hand strain issues if your plate doesn't have at least a little give. 

So then you'd probably notice how the case resonates with every key press and bottom out. Some aluminum cases have a very nice sound, other times they sound metallic and hollow. You'd probably consider dampening of some kind at that point.

Regardless of case material, if the case is dampened well, it should cut a lot of the loudness out, that and a soft mat beneath your board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2016, 15:33:41 by E3E »

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 15:47:56 »
premium feel and aesthetic
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline graefeln

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:04:42 »
Matches my key caps better.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:14:39 »
Yeah, see, having a heftier board sounds intriguing for feel of typing and quality, but I worry about the effect on sound.  I do NOT want it to echo or produce any 'ping'-type noises, they are the devil incarnate to my delicate ears.

This is very pertinent to me right now because I was considering picking up a Leopold FC660M with some light switches (probably mx reds) for general use (gaming, some typing) when I'm not writing up papers for grad school on my Type-S.

I saw some videos and the red switches sound really smooth and organic on Leopold boards (probably due to the plastic case/components and dampening material inside), just as the HHKB's case-mounted switches sound more 'warm' or 'organic' than an FC660C's plate-mounted ones.

So, I'm on the fence about purchasing the very nice-sounding (to me) and cheaper (by 100 bucks!) blank-navy pbt keycap, black case, FC660M from mechanicalkeyboards.com OR going for Massdrop's VA68M, which features the aluminum case, some leds, (both of which I don't care much about, in fact the aluminum case for typing 'sound' almost puts me off based on videos), but which is unarguably extremely high-quality, entirely standardized (The FC660M still has the odd right-shift and left-alt I believe?) with some really pretty and quality pbt keycap color choices.

The other downside of the VA68M is that it won't be shipping until at least X-mas-ish...  Regardless, I want a slightly-bigger-than 60% (68%-ish) and these are what I am down to.  And that damn aluminum case is probably what will put me off of the VA68M, despite loving every other aspect of 'quality' that may come from having an alum case.  :confused:

I realize I could put in sound-dampening material myself, but I could have a brand-new Leopold in front of me in the next couple weeks if I chose that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:22:30 by Corsa1r »
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:20:53 »
I have just about every combination of plastic and metal you can get and I can safely say that the only simple, obvious things about metal cases are that they flex less and cost more, everything else about them has a trade off.

Don't get me wrong, I like aluminum cases, I just think they are a bit overrated.

Here are some of the things that many either don't know or consider before getting an aluminum case.
Durability - While stronger, if you do scratch the anodizing or paint (quite a few have had flawed finish from the factory) it will be very obvious and not easy/cheap to fix properly, anodizing can cost as much as the case. Whereas plastic can take a scratch or impact and often not show it as it's solid colored throughout. Plastic can also absorb impacts saving your pcb and switches and it doesn't transfer impacts to your desk (more on this in a second). Paint and anodizing can wear off over time as well.

Weight  - We equate weight with quality FAR, FAR too much. While it does make the keyboard sit more stable, if you drop it it can damage what it falls on, a Vortex Filco case has enough weight (about 5 pounds!) to easily break a toe or foot, also that increased mass means it may hurt itself (switches, caps) in the fall. If you have a glass desk or small kids be extra vigilant, I've come come close to breaking my glass desk and toes a few times, it's easier than you think. It's also much easier to carry a 2 pound keyboard than a 5 pound behemoth if you plan on taking it anywhere.

More luxurious feel - Highly over-rated. It can feel warmer or cooler than room temp (good and bad) and machined cases can have sharper edges or slivers that were not properly cleaned during manufacturing. Injection molding rarely suffers this problem, and unlike plastic you can't simply shave that sharp edge off without damaging the finish.

Noise - Yes, aluminum keeps lower/lighter sounds/impacts from reverberating through the frame however, it can also reflect key activation sounds back at you, as well as transfer heavier impacts right into your desk. My Filco is quiet at high frequencies like key activation (after adding foam to stop reflection) and at small to minor impacts like bottoming out, but harder key impacts transfer through the case and feet and right into my desk, the KBT Race on the other hand (not even a metal plate), you could practically punch it and it would hardly send a shockwave into the desk.

Remember,
Weight and sound dampening is easy to add, frame stiffness is not and that is what you actually will notice more than anything while typing, typing on a wet noodle sucks (KBT Race). Were I to do another full custom keyboard (and I may very soon), it would be be a carbon fiber or (molded) polycarbonate case (painted internally) with a carbon fiber, aluminum or titanium plate, this way I get all the stiffness and durability without all of the weight, then add foam inside and if necessary, some brass or lead to adjust the weight if I feel it needs some.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:43:06 »
They mostly just drain your wallet.

I put my KBP V60MTS-C into a TEK CNS aluminum case, whose price was about the same as the keyboard. However, it made the Matias switches sound like Cherry mx blues, so I put it back into the cheap plastic case, which looks almost as good and sounds much better.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 17:45:44 »
I like plastic cases more.
The lightness gives good portability and I just like the dampened sound better.
Aluminium cases give the keybpard a high pitched sound. I don't like that.
I  rather have a soft plastic case which dampens the sound of my keyboard.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 17:50:03 »
I'm a bit confused by this post as I'm thinking about getting a higher-end 75% as an upgrade from my Choc mini.
I've been considering (including hopeful future offers): B.mini, Duck Octagon, Red Scarf 84. Their capabilities very similar and what is left is their keyboard housing construction and mounting methods.

B.mini (the most available) has an all-plastic case, with plastic plate-mounting for the switches.
Duck Octagon has an aluminium housing, with metal plate-mounting.
Red Scarf 84 is a mixture of both, it has a top-metal bottom plastic housing construction, with metal plate-mounting.

I've been thinking about waiting for the next offer of Red Scarf 84, which, if it happens, will be some time next year. However, B.mini has always been something good - although I don't need the backlighting and the disco case-lighting that much.

I second that plastic products may easily last longer (as long as they are not made from color-changing plastic such as ABS). Just look at some designer products from the EAMS era.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 19:44:40 »
I'm a bit confused by this post as I'm thinking about getting a higher-end 75% as an upgrade from my Choc mini.
I've been considering (including hopeful future offers): B.mini, Duck Octagon, Red Scarf 84. Their capabilities very similar and what is left is their keyboard housing construction and mounting methods.

B.mini (the most available) has an all-plastic case, with plastic plate-mounting for the switches.
Duck Octagon has an aluminium housing, with metal plate-mounting.
Red Scarf 84 is a mixture of both, it has a top-metal bottom plastic housing construction, with metal plate-mounting.

I've been thinking about waiting for the next offer of Red Scarf 84, which, if it happens, will be some time next year. However, B.mini has always been something good - although I don't need the backlighting and the disco case-lighting that much.

I second that plastic products may easily last longer (as long as they are not made from color-changing plastic such as ABS). Just look at some designer products from the EAMS era.

What about the 75% groupbuy right now?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85021.0;topicseen

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 21:23:11 »
they make everything more expensive  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 21:59:30 »
Since everyone here's just making stuff up..

Here's the real reason..

It makes the owner feel like he's better than everyone else using a plastic keyboard.

That is the bottom line..

There is Zero FUNCTIONAL improvement..

But, hey, if a computer geek needs m0ar confidence to crank out the next line of code..  Well, that's that.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:03:35 »

Here's the real reason..

It makes the owner feel like he's better than everyone else using a plastic keyboard.

But, hey, if a computer geek needs m0ar confidence to crank out the next line of code..  Well, that's that.

You can hit someone harder, maybe even kill them. If you use keyboards that way.  :thumb:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:06:01 »

Here's the real reason..

You can hit someone harder, maybe even kill them. If you use keyboards that way.  :thumb:
or just buy a f122 if you want a lethal weapon

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:16:51 »

Here's the real reason..

How many of you have killed or plan to kill someone..

/lol

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:18:08 »

Here's the real reason..

/lol
Hopefully none of us, but your ergodox is worthless against such a weapon as the f122

Offline E3E

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:34:16 »
The bottom metal pan from my NTC 6151N keyboard could probably decapitate someone if you wanted to play frisbee with it.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:37:32 »
Could a full aluminum keyboard take a gunshot?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 00:02:04 »

Here's the real reason..

/lol
Hopefully none of us, but your ergodox is worthless against such a weapon as the f122

Let's test that hypothesis..

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 00:48:56 »
Weight = feeling
Coolness = less sweating

I grip my keyboards, lean my hands on them, aluminium stays clean, it's also soothing to touch
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 02:32:28 »
Sorry to piggyback on this thread. But I'm also thinking of getting an aluminium case for my KC60 since it sounds somewhat hollow in it's plastic case.
Specifically this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GH60-compact-mechanical-keyboard-anodized-alluminum-case-poker2-golden-case-gaming-keyboard-FACEU-keyboard-metal-case/32573909218.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10065_10068_10069_10084_10083_10017_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10073_10070_421_420_10052_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=0658c0f3-5f17-490b-b376-b9f6527d22cf. Apologies if we're not supposed to link product stuff.

I like the weight of the plastic case since the board will be lugged around quite often. Would lining the bottom of the case with drawer liner or some sound dampening material be a good alternative to an aluminium case? If so that would be a better alternative then spending quite a bit on an aluminium case.
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 21:13:29 »
To be honest, I bought my aluminum case entirely because it looked so cool.

BUT then after acquiring it, I realize it does change the typing sound and feel.

For starters, aluminum almost entirely eliminates echo, but it also is a bit unforgiving when bottoming out.  It's almost too rigid.

To me the plastic case feels a bit more relaxed and sounds nicer.  The aluminum case kind of killed the "clack" for lack of better words.

But some people might not like the echo from plastic case, so what do you do?  Line the inside with drawer liner (it seems like felt cloth also works but I haven't tried).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47224.msg1006790#msg1006790

That I find maintain the best balance in both worlds.  So save yourself $100 and spend $5 on drawer liner.

:thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 00:41:11 »

BUT then after acquiring it, I realize it does change the typing sound and feel.

For starters, aluminum almost entirely eliminates echo, but it also is a bit unforgiving when bottoming out.  It's almost too rigid.

To me the plastic case feels a bit more relaxed and sounds nicer.  The aluminum case kind of killed the "clack" for lack of better words.

But some people might not like the echo from plastic case, so what do you do?  Line the inside with drawer liner (it seems like felt cloth also works but I haven't tried).

That I find maintain the best balance in both worlds.  So save yourself $100 and spend $5 on drawer liner.

Good post there..

We have to be very careful when we recommend stuff..  for example, when the Topre kids come in here, and say Topre=god-tier and how it's NOT- Rubber Dome,  when very obviously it IS rubber-dome..   You're really setting up some buyers for Disappointment,  because you're not being realistic about the comparison.

Is a heavier keyboard more rigid, yes

But, we also must ask,  Well, what does the rigidity DO...

We can bolt bricks to make anything heavier,  but WHY...

So, unless you guys ask the PURPOSEFUL question, you'll always be in the clouds, NOT getting your money's worth, because what you bought is more Vanity than function..

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 02:40:50 »

Good post there..

We have to be very careful when we recommend stuff..  for example, when the Topre kids come in here, and say Topre=god-tier and how it's NOT- Rubber Dome,  when very obviously it IS rubber-dome..   You're really setting up some buyers for Disappointment,  because you're not being realistic about the comparison.

Is a heavier keyboard more rigid, yes

But, we also must ask,  Well, what does the rigidity DO...

We can bolt bricks to make anything heavier,  but WHY...

So, unless you guys ask the PURPOSEFUL question, you'll always be in the clouds, NOT getting your money's worth, because what you bought is more Vanity than function..

Very insightful posts guys. I think I'll try with the drawer liner first. Even if I don't like it, at least I wouldn't have spent quite a sum of money to test it out. As always, I'm tempted to purchase every board I come across and GH isn't making the situation any easier but alas, these days I have to be more careful with how I spend my cash.

Edit: Just did the silencing mod on my KC60 and I have to say for spending $4, the result is great! The KC60 now has less of a hollow sound, more akin to my Filco TKL of which I am happy with. Couldn't fully eliminate the pinging on the backspace key though but it's subdued to the point of being barely audible in a normal environment.

Again, thanks fellas! Really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 October 2016, 08:51:23 by cephelix »
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline E3E

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:34:30 »
I should point out that aluminum cases do not eliminate ping nor do they eliminate case resonance. Some can actually have a very metallic, hollow sound without any dampening material beneath the PCB. Buying an aluminum case for these reasons would be a little misguided.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:36:09 »
I should point out that aluminum cases do not eliminate ping nor do they eliminate case resonance. Some can actually have a very metallic, hollow sound without any dampening material beneath the PCB. Buying an aluminum case for these reasons would be a little misguided.

++

Best material that was suggested to me by a fellow member: http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/fbs-extra-smooth-uncut/

Albeit costly, but I love it
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:56:14 »
Swag factor, also silence. My LZ is by FAR the quietest keyboard I own.

It's also heavy as ****, which is cool. I really like it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 20:13:37 »

++

Best material that was suggested to me by a fellow member: http://www.flatfacefingerboards.com/fbs-extra-smooth-uncut/

Albeit costly, but I love it

Do you just tape 1 layer at the bottom of the case?  I guess it's more costy than drawer liner but nowhere near costy as anything else on keyboards LOL.

I might try it next time.

Swag factor, also silence. My LZ is by FAR the quietest keyboard I own.

It's also heavy as ****, which is cool. I really like it.

lol yeah I think definitely mileage vary, but it's good to let people know it's not a guaranteed upgrade.

It's a love and hate relationship lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 21:44:10 »
Most LZ keyboards ship with 4 little plastic feet you can stick onto the bottom that mitigate most of the sliding issues. Solid stuff, really.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 03:24:19 »
Yes

Pros:
1) Quality material
2) Good scent
3) Very thin
4) Nice to the touch (why it matters? who knows)
5) Also useful for case/pcb touch points, if one wants to prevent direct touch between the case and pcb, one can place tiny amounts of tape at 6-7 stress points

Con:
1) Cost / Availability

I just lay one material, for Sprit PCB's which don't need a bottom-case-gap, I also put some tape upside down there, from inside, so when you look to the case from the bottom, you see the black fabric

One packet does cover one case, but barely

Offline Data

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:16:48 »
Aluminum helps remind me of the small fortune I've spent on this hobby.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:19:13 »
Time to get an aluminum case in case and conceal carry my 60% poker
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline E3E

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:39:24 »

I keep my Orion v2 in an aluminum case when I'm not using it. :P

Offline menuhin

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 07:19:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

Seriously..! :eek:
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 08:37:17 »
Kasuals, the lot of you!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:38:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

It looks like the briefcase in deal or no deal.

And I would definitely want to choose that briefcase. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:07:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

It looks like the briefcase in deal or no deal.

And I would definitely want to choose that briefcase.
`

I'm probably gonna buy a briefcase for my LZ here pretty soon. I have to move it around a lot.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 13:45:12 »
I've used aluminum cases for my custom keyboards mainly because it is a fairly easy material to work with. I do like the resonance I get from using it though.

There is also the aesthetic appeal as well as the "I've got something you don't have" appeal; two things forum members here wouldn't know anything about. :))

Offline Pennyz

• Vegeta
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 07:03:35 »
Your picture is handsome.
I ♥ Night Caps.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps