Author Topic: Faster Than Light strategy discussion.  (Read 8672 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Faster Than Light strategy discussion.
« on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 22:13:53 »
Alright, so using the start up vessel, I was able to beat the boss with 40 missiles, which cost me a fortune, and my **** was nearly dead, because I got my ass boarded and I had to swap my guys in and out of the medical bay to continue battling the boarder bots.

Make sure you have something to disable their drone controller for the second half of the boss battle.

Using the Engineering Ship, I can't seem to get very far with it, because I get so owned by boarders because my engineering guys suck at fighting. Even that stupid nano medic thing doesn't help jack ****.

And one final thing I've come across is, TAKE every opportunity to hire guys or get guys onboard your ship. The more guys the better, it's not like you have to feed them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Faster Than Light strategy discussion.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 22:56:59 »
You haven't played it? It's only the most addicting thing since evercrack. it's not mmo, completely single player, and yet super addicting.

You command a space ship, exploring the "game" galaxy, fending off pirates, and space forces.

It's like Micro-manage, outlaw star, the anime.

And it's kinda like turn play, because you can pause the game at any time and still issue commands, like dragon age.

And you get to upgrade your ship with useful tools and buffs'  :eek:

different aliens you can pick up do different things, like some of them give you +1 power to any station.

The in game warp engine is called FTL engine, faster than light, LOL  :))

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 23:00:04 »
This would be the first time I ever heard of it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 23:08:16 »
I loved TW2002.... now not so much.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 23:11:51 »
Well, I just want everyone to know that this is the first game I bought in 2 years.

At least you guys should give the "arrrrg" version a try. And if you like it, hit it up on steam...

Oh, it only supports widescreen resolution higher than 1280x720.

Also, if you have trouble stretching the 16x9 to 16x10 aspect ratio to fit the screen on ATI graphics, PM me. there's a trick to it.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 23:44:20 »
FTL is worse the crack. I started after I finished nightshift 6am Sunday morning and I played it for 14hrs straight lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 00:57:52 »
I thought this was going to be a thread on physics - what did I walk into?!

Same here :(
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 01:45:33 »
just noticed FTL on the steam deals pop up today. Was curious, at least the name is somewhat intriguing.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 03:00:26 »
just noticed FTL on the steam deals pop up today. Was curious, at least the name is somewhat intriguing.

if you value your time/life STAY AWAY

time evaporates when you play this :(

Offline nullstring

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 08:40:10 »
... damn it this game is addicting. (started last night)
Although, I am terrible at it. Highest score around 800.

I think I need to start using the pause option more.
I always seem to run into situations where my ship gets boarded, weapons destroyed, and by the time I kill the guys my ship is half dead and my crew half gone.

EDIT: like a true addict, I just called in sick cause of this game >_>
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 09:18:00 by nullstring »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 10:25:09 »
alright, so I haven't slept since I was posted LAST night.   

Hey, nullstring, basically you need to make sure to use all the ABILITIES at your disposal.

For example, missile penetrates shield, so always use missiles to destroy the shield system so that your laser can do their job.

I usually use missile vs shield generator, and laser to either make sure the shield is disabled, OR, using laser to disable the weapon if the shield is disabled correctly on the first missile.

ALWAYS find some sort of electron weapon which is basically EMP, to disable shields in late game, because you can't afford to missile everything. LOL

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 11:25:34 »
According to their homepage it is DRM free, and just happens to also be available via Steam.  It is however only available as a download.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 14:28:06 »
I don't know, they don't specify what sort of installer they use, I just mean you can't get it on retail physical media.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 15:08:30 »
once you have any game on your steam account it's for the life of steam, which means always just download from steam (they have fast servers too) (i say for the life of steam cuz you just never know, steam could go in any direction)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 16:07:13 »
Been playing with the engi ship... So if you manage to get a large crew very fast, the ship is nearly unstoppable. But the trade off is, you won't be as highly upgraded by end game for the boss.

But the crew is the only way I can stay alive.

ALSO, if anyone is wondering, ALWAYS take the stasis chamber, and when you get to a zoltan world, they fix it, and you get a new alien dude for your crew. It's awesome,

He's got special ability, has a cool down of course. I don't wanna ruin the surprise, so I won't say anymore, but yea, the stasis chamber is worth hanging onto.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 16:07:52 »
once you have any game on your steam account it's for the life of steam, which means always just download from steam (they have fast servers too) (i say for the life of steam cuz you just never know, steam could go in any direction)

yup, just buy the steam version. can't go wrong with steam.

do realize that steam is worth 2 billion dollars, it's VERY hard for something like that to die. at worst, they get split up and sold.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 23:33:04 »
well steam could also be "outmuscled" in terms of digital distribution, i can't think of anything that is good except for the itunes/app store, droid marketplace, and xbox live, anyone of those could turn into a better steam (i think the closest pc is stardock?)

oh and this game looks EVIL, i have a wedding/honeymoon and tons of work to do this and next month, all my game systems are purposely gathering dust and i uninstalled steam from my pc!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 01:00:11 »
well steam could also be "outmuscled" in terms of digital distribution, i can't think of anything that is good except for the itunes/app store, droid marketplace, and xbox live, anyone of those could turn into a better steam (i think the closest pc is stardock?)

oh and this game looks EVIL, i have a wedding/honeymoon and tons of work to do this and next month, all my game systems are purposely gathering dust and i uninstalled steam from my pc!

Well, this is a pretty challenging game.  but it's not actually that long... currently trying to unlock that stupid "secret" ship... ugh....

Offline godly_music

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 06:50:15 »
Strategy, hmm..

Contrary to what some people suggest, I like to spend my Scrap early on upgrades and only collect larger amounts if a store is nearby. That way, you get better defenses earlier and conserve more Scrap, and this strategy is self-reinforcing, leading to an all-around better ship later on.

Time your weapon systems well. If your lasers can barely cut it, take shields down with missiles first thing, or the engagement will take 3 times as long (this can be a good or a bad thing, see next paragraph). Make shield-hitters fire simultaneously if the enemy has shields up, make hull hitters fire right afterwards.

The instinct is to take out the shield generator first, but if you can damage their systems and they pose a threat, then you're actually better off taking out the weapons first. Longer engagements, when they're safe, also give your crew more XP.

Juggling energy gives you a combat advantage. Power down the medbay when not needed, pull energy from shields into the engines when a missile hit is imminent. This will allow you to prioritize combat upgrades and invest less in the reactor.

Grab every jump node that you can. Nebulas are actually good because they make the Rebel fleet advance more slowly, allowing you to collect more goodies.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 07:11:39 »
Strategy, hmm..

Contrary to what some people suggest, I like to spend my Scrap early on upgrades and only collect larger amounts if a store is nearby. That way, you get better defenses earlier and conserve more Scrap, and this strategy is self-reinforcing, leading to an all-around better ship later on.

Time your weapon systems well. If your lasers can barely cut it, take shields down with missiles first thing, or the engagement will take 3 times as long (this can be a good or a bad thing, see next paragraph). Make shield-hitters fire simultaneously if the enemy has shields up, make hull hitters fire right afterwards.

The instinct is to take out the shield generator first, but if you can damage their systems and they pose a threat, then you're actually better off taking out the weapons first. Longer engagements, when they're safe, also give your crew more XP.

Juggling energy gives you a combat advantage. Power down the medbay when not needed, pull energy from shields into the engines when a missile hit is imminent. This will allow you to prioritize combat upgrades and invest less in the reactor.

Grab every jump node that you can. Nebulas are actually good because they make the Rebel fleet advance more slowly, allowing you to collect more goodies.

Depending on how powerful the ship is, You may choose between taking out the weapons first or the shields.

With the engineering ship, you don't have a choice. The shield will deflect the electron beam and be disabled first no matter what. And you can alternate between temporarily disabling weapon and shield, while your main cannon charges for the damage shots.

Leveling up the shields beyond level two early game is a huge waste.

After level 2 it is better to upgrade the Engine.. Because you can train your ship against a drone early in the game and quickly achieve 35 to 40% dodge chance, which makes mid-game very easy.

And the engine upgrade is usable instantaneously while, a shield upgrade is significantly more expensive because it forces you to buy 2 power bar and 2 shields, otherwise it doesn't engage.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 10:41:47 »
best tactic for engi ship

>>See mantis with teleporter

>>OPEN ALL THE DOORS, AIRLOCKS, EVERYBODY TO MED BAY,COCKPIT (Obv also airlocked)

The level 2/3 doors REALLY help for boarders. They'll often suffocate or be at half health by the time they get where they're going through the doors if you can try to open the doors connecting to the open airlocks in a way that they're taking damage as they try to pry the doors open.

Basically with the engi ship, I'll just set my anti-ship bot free, and do a 1-2 combo on the sheilds/weapons, and hope the bot doesn't shoot at retarded stuff, as they are oft to do.

my big gripe is with missiles. Assuming you have a drone system (80s if you don't) the defense drones are still not only hugely expensive, but still rather ineffective (I had a time where a level 1 defense drone shot down fewer than 25% of incoming missiles, and the level 2 is pretty much outdated against any enemy that matters because they already throw so much at you.)

Best upgrade hands down is the weapon pre-igniter. I was rolling the weapon pre-igniter on the zoltan ship with the halberd beam and 2 missile based weapons. Eventually died because I got trapped in an asteroid field and got pelted by enemy fire and asteroids while out of missiles, sitting there waiting for my engines to charge and meanwhile, the enemy has level 3 sheilds in sector 4.

It's kind of a pain how the enemies are dynamically difficult if you're strong, but if you're weak they're strong anyways :/
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nullstring

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 11:23:18 »
alright, so I haven't slept since I was posted LAST night.   

Hey, nullstring, basically you need to make sure to use all the ABILITIES at your disposal.

For example, missile penetrates shield, so always use missiles to destroy the shield system so that your laser can do their job.

I usually use missile vs shield generator, and laser to either make sure the shield is disabled, OR, using laser to disable the weapon if the shield is disabled correctly on the first missile.

ALWAYS find some sort of electron weapon which is basically EMP, to disable shields in late game, because you can't afford to missile everything. LOL

I figured out my problem.
I thought I was suppose to try to get to the exit ASAP, but thats wrong. (And leads to you getting smoked at the end)
You should try to visit and gain as much as you can before you run out of time in a specific sector.

Now I can get to the end sector easily. My biggest issue now is the inability to find proper weapons.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 11:38:52 »
my favorite tactic is the zoltan ship because it's heavy shields absorb 5 damage just right off the bat, which can help save up to 10-20 credits per battle assuming all that damage was from missiles, which would just blow right through normal sheilds. get the zoltan ship with a weapons pre-enabler and you can often end battles quickly on any ship with 2 or less shield (hit the sheilds with a missile to open it up to halberd fire)

Also a tip if you're using a beam weapon, unless the sheild room is fully destroyed or the sheild is already completely depleted when you fire, attack the sheild room first, this will most likely take the sheilds offline and double the damage for all concurrent hits. (up to 4 more if you position it juuuuust right on the mantis fighter ship.)

Offline nullstring

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 11:41:19 »

>>OPEN ALL THE DOORS, AIRLOCKS, EVERYBODY TO MED BAY,COCKPIT (Obv also airlocked)

The level 2/3 doors REALLY help for boarders. They'll often suffocate or be at half health by the time they get where they're going through the doors if you can try to open the doors connecting to the open airlocks in a way that they're taking damage as they try to pry the doors open.

The level 3/3 doors are REALLY nice. They take much longer to break through, and you can often suffocate them right to death by the time they get through the first door if they are close enough to an air lock.
Well worth the price.

my big gripe is with missiles. Assuming you have a drone system (80s if you don't) the defense drones are still not only hugely expensive, but still rather ineffective (I had a time where a level 1 defense drone shot down fewer than 25% of incoming missiles, and the level 2 is pretty much outdated against any enemy that matters because they already throw so much at you.)
I haven't been able to try it yet, but it seems like a defense droid or two + 50% evade would work pretty well, no?
I think I'll try my luck trying to pull that off with the Engi ship tonight.

Best upgrade hands down is the weapon pre-igniter. I was rolling the weapon pre-igniter on the zoltan ship with the halberd beam and 2 missile based weapons.

Weapon pre-igniter + Zoltan sheild sounds pretty nice..

Offline nullstring

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 12:22:50 »
Does anyone have any strategy for how one should choose which sectors to go onto?

It sounds like maybe you should try to go to the hostile areas to try to get more experience / scrap, and then go to civillian areas when you wish to find stores and crew and such.
Nebulas sectors only slow them down a bit compared to other nebula sub-sections. I wonder how many extra steps you really get.

A few things I've noticed:
  • Autofire is a bad idea usually. You need to make sure that you time your lasers to fire at the same time. If you shoot a missile at their shields, make sure it goes before the lasers do.
  • Shooting down shields is important, but other systems matter too. If you can keep their weapons at bay, you can take your time getting through their shields. I try (hope) to find two sets of burst laser II's, and then you can shoot at weapons and shields at the same time and this does a pretty good job keeping them at bay.
  • The pilot seat [what's the right word?] is important with higher level ships. Destroying this will stop the ship from evading you, which is often causing more problems than the shields
  • Shields seem to be overrated. Getting evade up and beyond 50% by way of engine upgrades and dedicated crew to both hull and engines seems quite important. A level 3 shield + dedicated controller seems like it's underused, and by you're mostly dealing with high damage (3 or 4) missles. [Ouch].
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2012, 12:44:01 by nullstring »

Offline godly_music

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 12:29:13 »
Shields and engines/cockpit complement each other. Engine is generally the more forgiving upgrade since it's good against anything incoming. Shield is the insurance. It's good to level this up equally fast though, simply because upgrade costs increase as the level goes up.

I've only seldom gotten O2 and medbay above level 1, even though those upgrades make the systems more sturdy when they get hit. Autopilot I usually leave at 1, too.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 10:57:42 »
Another tip I have is that if you're ever having trouble hitting an enemy ship, put a shot on the cockpit. More often than not, a single missile will disable it (It can have up to 3 power bars max, engines can have up to 8.) and leave them wide open with no evasion.

Another thing, I see a lot of people that go with a hard and fast rule of "Take down the shields first"

Not always the case. I've found several alternatives. IE if you are sending in a raiding party via teleport, I would suggest taking out the doors so they can retreat/advance at will. If the enemy has balls-to-the-walls weapons,  put a couple of missiles/shots there to minimize incoming damage. The fight will take longer overall but you will take less damage, minimizing repair costs and saving cash.

The engines are rarely a good idea. Disabling the cockpit has the same advantages but oftentimes the engines will soak up double or more damage.

Has anyone ever upgraded sensors to level 3? I've never cared to because of the cost but, being able to see the power levels of subsystems is sounding pretty damn useful right about now. Sheilds are easy enough to predict but being able to see that 1 leto missile will disable an enemy cockpit and leave them floating free and clear is pretty interesting info.

I like to upgrade autopilot to level 2 just to give insurance that my ship won't be floating free and clear if i take a shot to the cockpit, upgraded doors help vs raiding parties, I sometimes am forced to upgrade my med bay to 2 if my 02 is burnt out, my crew are suffocating in the med bay in limbo at half hp between the heals and the damage taken from suffocation and need to heal to fix the 02. Save a life for about 50 scrap? worth it either way.

Upgrading the 02 is decent too if you use the airlock tactic. ESP useful for engi/zoltan because they're very difficult to fight with. See a mantis ship? Open all the airlocks and retreat to the med bay, then trap the intruders behind level 2 doors until they suffocate or teleport out. They rarely do damage with this tactic. Having level 2 O2 substantially reduces the time it takes to get a suitable enviroment back up in your ship and get everybody back to work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 September 2012, 11:21:15 by Internetlad »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:31:14 »

The level 3/3 doors are REALLY nice. They take much longer to break through, and you can often suffocate them right to death by the time they get through the first door if they are close enough to an air lock.
Well worth the price.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but it seems like a defense droid or two + 50% evade would work pretty well, no?
I think I'll try my luck trying to pull that off with the Engi ship tonight.

Best upgrade hands down is the weapon pre-igniter. I was rolling the weapon pre-igniter on the zoltan ship with the halberd beam and 2 missile based weapons.

Weapon pre-igniter + Zoltan sheild sounds pretty nice..

NO, defense droid is a complete waste of power and money... you don't have time for that ****.  :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:32:11 »
Does anyone have any strategy for how one should choose which sectors to go onto?

It sounds like maybe you should try to go to the hostile areas to try to get more experience / scrap, and then go to civillian areas when you wish to find stores and crew and such.
Nebulas sectors only slow them down a bit compared to other nebula sub-sections. I wonder how many extra steps you really get.

A few things I've noticed:
  • Autofire is a bad idea usually. You need to make sure that you time your lasers to fire at the same time. If you shoot a missile at their shields, make sure it goes before the lasers do.
  • Shooting down shields is important, but other systems matter too. If you can keep their weapons at bay, you can take your time getting through their shields. I try (hope) to find two sets of burst laser II's, and then you can shoot at weapons and shields at the same time and this does a pretty good job keeping them at bay.
  • The pilot seat [what's the right word?] is important with higher level ships. Destroying this will stop the ship from evading you, which is often causing more problems than the shields
  • Shields seem to be overrated. Getting evade up and beyond 50% by way of engine upgrades and dedicated crew to both hull and engines seems quite important. A level 3 shield + dedicated controller seems like it's underused, and by you're mostly dealing with high damage (3 or 4) missles. [Ouch].

Final boss, if you don't have shields you're screwed....  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:33:55 »
Another tip I have is that if you're ever having trouble hitting an enemy ship, put a shot on the cockpit. More often than not, a single missile will disable it (It can have up to 3 power bars max, engines can have up to 8.) and leave them wide open with no evasion.

Another thing, I see a lot of people that go with a hard and fast rule of "Take down the shields first"

Not always the case. I've found several alternatives. IE if you are sending in a raiding party via teleport, I would suggest taking out the doors so they can retreat/advance at will. If the enemy has balls-to-the-walls weapons,  put a couple of missiles/shots there to minimize incoming damage. The fight will take longer overall but you will take less damage, minimizing repair costs and saving cash.

The engines are rarely a good idea. Disabling the cockpit has the same advantages but oftentimes the engines will soak up double or more damage.

Has anyone ever upgraded sensors to level 3? I've never cared to because of the cost but, being able to see the power levels of subsystems is sounding pretty damn useful right about now. Sheilds are easy enough to predict but being able to see that 1 leto missile will disable an enemy cockpit and leave them floating free and clear is pretty interesting info.

I like to upgrade autopilot to level 2 just to give insurance that my ship won't be floating free and clear if i take a shot to the cockpit, upgraded doors help vs raiding parties, I sometimes am forced to upgrade my med bay to 2 if my 02 is burnt out, my crew are suffocating in the med bay in limbo at half hp between the heals and the damage taken from suffocation and need to heal to fix the 02. Save a life for about 50 scrap? worth it either way.

Upgrading the 02 is decent too if you use the airlock tactic. ESP useful for engi/zoltan because they're very difficult to fight with. See a mantis ship? Open all the airlocks and retreat to the med bay, then trap the intruders behind level 2 doors until they suffocate or teleport out. They rarely do damage with this tactic. Having level 2 O2 substantially reduces the time it takes to get a suitable enviroment back up in your ship and get everybody back to work.

sensor level 3 can get you some quest items, but seeing the enemy power use is useless. Because they always have more than enough power.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 14:57:00 »
The issue I have with droids is that, although being moderately powerful, you have to pay 80s just for the system, then however much for the droid (s) and power, and then on top of that, 1 droid part for every damn droid you impliment, and if you don't have the recovery arm, forget about it, you're spending 8s on every single droid, and if you run out, tough nuts.

That's how my engi sector 8 run ended. Ran out of droid parts and couldn't peirce the sheilds of an enemy, not even the big bad, because i only had the little tiny EMP gun and a the crap laser with no droids. Got spanked.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 14:50:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:52:05 by alienman82 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:41:05 »
necro the first tp4 off topic thread!

Mother of god