Author Topic: Do you lift your wrists when typing?  (Read 11629 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
Do you lift your wrists when typing?
« on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:43:11 »
Question. Do you(and I mean you specifically) lift your wrists when typing(I mean are your hands floating on the air or are your wrists resting on the table or a wrist rest). I have heard that you are supposed to, but when I do it feels like I have less leverage to type on the keys and I make a lot more errors.
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline Indigu

• Yea sure
Re: Do you lift your wrists when typing?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:49:03 »
I personally like to keep my wrists rested on the desk.

Offline Jsza99

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 11:02:09 »
It really depends, sometimes i do, sometimes I feel lazy and do not.

Offline Herman

• college student
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 12:50:08 »
Completely depends how much I want to tryhard that specific round of https://monkeytype.com/  :thumb:

Offline chiefmatex

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 20:00:37 »
when i'm typing, my hand automatically hover over the keyboard. when not typing, they rest on the side or bezel of the keyboard. i guess i got used to it after decades of working in IT

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 21:14:48 »
My question is, does it increase your speed and accuracy(I NEED EFFICIENCY), or is it really just a preference like so many things regarding keyboards
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline Indigu

• Yea sure
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 22:13:30 »
Preference.

Offline Me

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 22:47:30 »
Ok, thanks!

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 18:03:25 »
I do whatever keeps my wrists as straight and relaxed as possible, which means hovering most of the time. The bend that results from pressing your wrists to the desk/rest is just uncomfortable and strange, personally.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:08:49 »
I tend to use my hardwood wrist rest as it works best at keeping my wrists relaxed and straight. At work I have a memory foam rest and I hate it - other than it is too large for the board I have at work (could almost work as a board and mouse rest all in one).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:31:31 »
Yes.

Perhaps that comes from writing on typewriters.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:36:57 »
Having used IBM selectric TW's when I was a kid, it was definitely more beneficial to having your wrists due to the  manner in which you had to strike the keys (even though the Selectrics were easier compared to other models I played with).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:58:24 »
For games no, for typing yes, but my whole arm / elbow is above the ergodox @ my standing desk.

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 22:58:15 »
On a standalone keyboard, yes.

On a low profile board built into a laptop, no.

Offline Me

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:36:26 »
So do most of you put your arms on the table/wrist rest and lift your hands&wrists into the air or am I just misunderstanding.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 21:44:28 »
Yes, and i prob have rsi because of it

Offline Me

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 22:01:49 »
Ok, so basically it depends on the situation, so like if the desk is high and your elbows are not at a right angle(which I already know is bad) then you are first of all, supposed to get a new desk but if not then you don't lift your hands. If your desk is the right height and you can lift your hands while still keeping your elbows at right angles and your wrists straight then you do so.

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 10:21:37 »
Yes. Probably because I have big(long?) hands

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 10:50:03 »
Yes — because resting palms on the desk, wrists bent up can cause serious health issues for anyone who spends any significant amount of time using a keyboard.

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 02:35:15 »
Feels very unnatural not to do it, so yes, I lift.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 12:35:15 »
i always have kept my wrists rested on the desk although when playing osu! i find myself to tap lighter when my wrist is lifted so i occasionally do that when i'm out of stamina or in a really boring part of a song