Author Topic: NEGG  (Read 1758 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
NEGG
« on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 16:01:57 »
So, Newegg is launching an assembly service.  which they already had. but it's (supposedly) more better now..

The reasons they give for why this is special is unclear, how is it that they can do it better and faster than all the other boutiques ? They give reasons like they have more variety of parts, but that makes things slower as your assembly has to deal with the variety, it's can not be faster.

They've got a recent history of being a poorly managed company.

Components availability hit/miss at the moment.

Prices are high.

The service itself is , idk, do kids not want to snap it together themselves anymore ? It's pretty damn easy. what with youtube and all.

Not sure I see how their stonk is suddenly worth the bump.

If you go to their newegg.com/pcbuilder    it doesn't really work yet, and it doesn't seem very streamline.

Seems like a news cycle pump/dump,   or maybe to Lure n00b-Apes away from GME. HAHAHAHahahha.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: NEGG
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 22:25:30 »
Have you seen the garbage being pumped out by boutiques? Low end cards, cut rate cards, refurbished cards (yep, in a new system), insanely poor service, one company only tests parts they don't even test the system as a whole (WTF), there's an MSI system that is shipping with a bad install of Windows causing constant bluescreens (a reinstall fixes it), another reseller (possibly illegally) decided to take all their already sold GPUS and repurpose them for complete systems sales because they can make more on them, refunding or shipping cards to customers at a later date. The parts shortage has really made OEMs and boutiques do some shady stuff.

I highly recommend watching the Gamers Nexus recent tear down of a Dell they got (they have a few videos on it), or Linus tech Tips Secret Shopper series then it will start to make a ton of sense.

As for building it yourself, a lot of people are scared to and for many it comes with a piece of mind to have someone else do it and deal with replacement parts and such, for others they'd just rather pay someone and have it delivered and not have to lift a finger or stress over any of it. Some also just have no interest in it, they see it as a tool or an appliance, you plug it in it does said job.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 23:22:39 »
I'm not against a better builder existing,  But at the moment I highly doubt that'll be newegg.

Especially when they're talking about building from all of the components in a non-streamlined fashion.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:55:47 »
Small shops, Microcenter, even Best Buy does it, not a big deal.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 08:39:14 »
I think that building is fun, and also I am cheap so I have done it for decades so that I could upgrade components incrementally.

Mildly amusing story: I had a wife and 2 kids, and components flowed downstream as hand-me-downs when I bought something new. My son was getting to be an avid gamer by the time he was about 10-11 so we decided to build a mostly-new system into a new enclosure (because his gaming needs outstripped mine). First step was to completely dismantle the old system and spread it out on the table. I had to go out for a couple of hours for work, so I said "we will finish when I get back."

While I was gone, he realized that he had left a CD in the drive, but was apparently unclear on the concept "we will use this drive in the new build" so he rebuilt the entire thing, turned it on, removed the disc, and took it all apart again.

I complimented him profusely and told him how proud I was of his skill and ingenuity. Then I showed him how to straighten out a paper clip and find the small hole on the front of the drive ....

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 20:52:53 »
Then I showed him how to straighten out a paper clip and find the small hole on the front of the drive ....

That's hilarious!

I agree though, I enjoy it, almost a zen thing for me, though it's almost boring with how easy it's become. Except for the USB sticks, that's probably the most difficult part these days. Some systems are suuuuper fickle about how it needs to be setup.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 02:01:19 »
Then I showed him how to straighten out a paper clip and find the small hole on the front of the drive ....
Show Image

That's hilarious!

I agree though, I enjoy it, almost a zen thing for me, though it's almost boring with how easy it's become. Except for the USB sticks, that's probably the most difficult part these days. Some systems are suuuuper fickle about how it needs to be setup.
if it is too easy, build a dual socket, gaming HTPC and try to keep the temps and noise in checks and have decent performance, i tried and it is not meant to be (dual AMD opteron 6cores 2.6GHz, 64GB DDR3 ECC, AMD Nano, in a Lian-LI PC-C33, had to watercool and the Asus motherboard died on me... was fun to play with while it lasted, slow but fun :))
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)