Author Topic: Does anyone know the quality of these keycaps?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Encabulator

relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Does anyone know the quality of these keycaps?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 23:05:27 »
looks like lasered legends

stay away
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 23:20:35 »

stay away

Product description says PBT double-shot, and I'd guess that's accurate.  Did you check the key size chart for alignment with your Poker? 

My experience is that the Chinese PBT keycaps are pretty good for the price.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 23:27:30 »

stay away

Product description says PBT double-shot, and I'd guess that's accurate.  Did you check the key size chart for alignment with your Poker? 

No way those are double shot, those legends are 100% lasered.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 23:32:43 »

stay away

No way those are double shot, those legends are 100% lasered.

I have to agree. It's way too fuzzy and grey to be doubleshot. Also why would you ever make doubleshots for side-printed keycaps?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 00:03:51 »

stay away

i see that it says doubleshot

but look at the picture and tell me those are doubleshot

and you can't doubleshot side print anyway
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 00:31:29 »

I have to agree. It's way too fuzzy and grey to be doubleshot. Also why would you ever make doubleshots for side-printed keycaps?

The caps give you a choice of side or top-printed, and  colors are different on the black, red and light gray keys.  I can't really judge from the photos online, but it's possible the printing process isn't the same on the different color keys.  The light gray keys with gray legends look to me like the best candidates for laser printing.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 00:59:45 »
it's possible the printing process isn't the same on the different color keys.

Nah, they're all lasered, zoom in on the pictures.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 04:09:22 »
If you follow the link to the ISO set it looks exactly the same from the pictures, and the ISO set has a very big closeup on a couple of keys so you can get a better look.

BTW you could always ask for a picture of upside down caps. Since this is a three-color set ask for a sample of every color and make sure to specify the model (CJ-010 mentions double shot and CJ-016 doesn't).

If they don't reply within tot working days you have your answer.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Buyeisking

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 04:26:08 »
This 's not doubt shot ,definitely it's lasered legends.. i know this keycap 's Manufacturer in China

i don't recommend this OEM profile ,because Touch feeling is tough. i don't like it ..

You can try Cherry profile keycap set

Although it's lasered legends too.it's side print ,your typying finger don't  touch the legends .no worry about the legend 's wear out in a long period of time.

This keycaps is PBT ,but this PBT is different with other tough PBT,touch like ABS.but it's turely PBT keycaps.

i am using this keycap now write this  post .. :D

Mod edit: we have a proper Auctions section for eBay links.  Please don't advertise your own auctions elsewhere on this site.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 12:36:24 by Moderation Team »

Offline Soo8

• Mice enthusiast.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 09:10:40 »
I have a set of these in a different colour. The pbt plastic itself is quite good. They are fairly thin though, backlight easily shines through. My set's spacebar is a bit warped, I had trouble with binding on plate mount cherry stabilizers. The surface finish is quite rough and grainy even by pbt standards. The fit of most caps is pretty loose on Gaterons and unbearable on my Novatouch, I had a few cases where a cap came off in use. Legends are defo lasered. Overall my opinion is not great, it's better to get an enjoyPBT set. Those are thicker, lower cherry profile, the fitment is correct and they overall feel nicer.
All PBT, all the time.
KC60\\Kailh Silver\\npkc classic pbt
Novatouch\\homemade silencing rings\\enjoypbt blank

Offline dantan

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 11:21:07 »
Hello, you are talking on geekhack where very few people buy $22 keycap sets.

To 90% of the people here, the quality will be described as poor.

If you talk to normal people outside, the kind who buy Razer and Corsair and praise the build, I'm sure they will say these keycaps are excellent.

Offline rasmusx

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 13:42:36 »
I ordered similar ones, but dark grey version. Can review how they are when I get them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cool-Jazz-Black-Gray-mixed-Dolch-Thick-PBT-ANSI-ISO-layout-104-87-61-Keycaps-OEM/32796875505.html

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 19:08:40 »
Not everyone here is rich.  I sure am not.  And I buy $18 keycaps...
Don't assume this is an elitist exclusive forum club for rich privileged people.

Offline dantan

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 20:06:02 »
Not everyone here is rich.  I sure am not.  And I buy $18 keycaps...
Don't assume this is an elitist exclusive forum club for rich privileged people.

He's asking questions and that deserves good answers.

You may buy $18 keycap sets, but most people here talk ranges like $120 and up, or spend $200 for just one keycap.

Anybody would be confused and start thinking that his $22 keycaps aren't good enough for 'the experts'.

If all he's looking for are keycaps that will more or less look the same in 5 years, without shining and without breakage at the stem and with the legends not wearing off, $22 keycaps will be ok.

Just don't expect favorable views from the folks who spend $800 and up on a custom board and $250+ on a keycap set.

Offline atarione

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 20:56:23 »
giving the seller the benefit of the doubt.. and all..

they seem to sell a lot of different key cap sets.. probably have templates for the sales info.. I bet they made a mistake and listed these as double shots..   I'm guessing English is quite probably a 2nd or 3rd language for the seller also??

I'd probably ask the seller if the double shot information is correct or not?? or for clarification / pictures of the back side of the caps... I wish they'd include these for any key caps for sale?.. basically everyone is going to want a shot of the back side of the caps right??

if the OP wants the side prints I don't see a problem w/ these.. quite inexpensive..  probably not the last word in quality but they look pretty good.

I'm rocking massdrop $22 Vortex double shots on my Filco.

Offline Encabulator

Does anyone know the quality of these keycaps?
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 08:43:46 »
Woops
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 08:45:36 by Encabulator »
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 12:37:06 »
they seem to sell a lot of different key cap sets.. probably have templates for the sales info.. I bet they made a mistake and listed these as double shots..   I'm guessing English is quite probably a 2nd or 3rd language for the seller also??
They do have written templates for the descriptions and stock images for the shipping process and refund explanations.

I'd probably ask the seller if the double shot information is correct or not?? or for clarification / pictures of the back side of the caps... I wish they'd include these for any key caps for sale?.. basically everyone is going to want a shot of the back side of the caps right??

I also wondered about that but I guess that if you don't really care about your board's aesthetics, or about a certain shade or texture, or about the types of legends, then you wouldn't know/care about what kind of information would an upside down cap show either, so you wouldn't ask for a picture.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 April 2017, 16:34:43 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]