Author Topic: GTX 1080 specs. :O  (Read 27087 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: GTX 1080 specs. :O
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:45:19 »
I'm probably going to pick one up in October, maybe EVGA's step up program will get me a GTX 1080 TI  :)

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:56:37 »
Suggested MSRP for Founders edition:
Serbian Dinar RSD 96,900
Czech Koruna CZK 21,400
Danish Krone DKK 6,150
Germany EUR 789
France EUR 789
British Pound GBP 619
Hungarian Forint HUF 259,850
Norwegian Krone NOK 7,599
Polish Zloty PLN 3,599
Romanian New Lei RON 3,499
Russian Rouble RUB 54,990
Indian Rupee INR 63,250
Swedish Krona SEK 7,699
Turkish Lira TRY 2,850
South African Rand ZAR 13,599
Switzerland CHF 790
UAE AED 2,850
USA USD 699

Fuuuu, anyone outside the US is getting shafted with those prices... Even the regular version is going to be insanely priced..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:51:12 »
Ok so some numbers I'm seeing..

Stock 1080 is 34.5% faster than Stock 980 Ti

Vanilla 1080 can overclock 11.4%

Overclocked 1080 is 52% faster than the Stock 980 Ti

Current Rumors say that the 1080 chip is capable of ~2400mhz w/ adequate power delivery, which means another 13.5% ontop of the Vanilla-1080..

My guess is they're saving this (locked potential 13.5%) for the Ti-Edition with boosted power delivery..  To milk more money out of the n00bers..

TOTAL,  overclocked on the 1080 Ti w/hybrid cooler,  should be around 70% faster than the (STOCK) 980 Ti

Final,  Overclocked 1080 Ti should be  43% faster than Overclocked 980 Ti

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:13:45 »
I can't wait for the aftermarket coolers to come out and then we can see how far this card can go on air and on water.

I'm curious how far you can push it with an open loop.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 00:15:48 »
I can't wait for the aftermarket coolers to come out and then we can see how far this card can go on air and on water.

I'm curious how far you can push it with an open loop.

I'm pretty sure 2400 is gonna be-it

Cuz..  I don't really see why they'd hide away more performance than that..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 00:52:38 »
Suggested MSRP for Founders edition:
Serbian Dinar RSD 96,900
Czech Koruna CZK 21,400
Danish Krone DKK 6,150
Germany EUR 789
France EUR 789
British Pound GBP 619
Hungarian Forint HUF 259,850
Norwegian Krone NOK 7,599
Polish Zloty PLN 3,599
Romanian New Lei RON 3,499
Russian Rouble RUB 54,990
Indian Rupee INR 63,250
Swedish Krona SEK 7,699
Turkish Lira TRY 2,850
South African Rand ZAR 13,599
Switzerland CHF 790
UAE AED 2,850
USA USD 699

Fuuuu, anyone outside the US is getting shafted with those prices... Even the regular version is going to be insanely priced..
Yeah screw that, that's what I paid for my Ti back in the day.
I'll wait for ASUS or MSI's custom coolers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:34:55 »
Ok so some numbers I'm seeing..

Stock 1080 is 34.5% faster than Stock 980 Ti

Vanilla 1080 can overclock 11.4%

Overclocked 1080 is 52% faster than the Stock 980 Ti

Current Rumors say that the 1080 chip is capable of ~2400mhz w/ adequate power delivery, which means another 13.5% ontop of the Vanilla-1080..

My guess is they're saving this (locked potential 13.5%) for the Ti-Edition with boosted power delivery..  To milk more money out of the n00bers..

TOTAL,  overclocked on the 1080 Ti w/hybrid cooler,  should be around 70% faster than the (STOCK) 980 Ti

Final,  Overclocked 1080 Ti should be  43% faster than Overclocked 980 Ti

Look at all the possibilities WITHOUT SLI. I'm curious if it'll run GTA V 2560x1440 around 60 fps.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:40:17 »
**** OFF

£619 is ****ING NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. They have got to be ****ing high I'm not paying that much.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:45:30 »
Look at all the possibilities WITHOUT SLI. I'm curious if it'll run GTA V 2560x1440 around 60 fps.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/17.html

Looks to be 91.6 FPS at that res.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:54:13 »
Where did you get those MSRPs from anyway?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 17:22:04 »
Where did you get those MSRPs from anyway?
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,30.html

Note those are the prices for the Founders edition. It'll be a bit less expensive for the regular version, but I'm not sure by how much on the international market, it'll be $100 cheaper in the US.

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 17:24:12 by Air tree »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 17:56:03 »

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/17.html

Looks to be 91.6 FPS at that res.

That's averageeee fps.. which is meaningless..

Minimum FPS probably still dips below 60,   So we still need SLI..

Offline chefmz23

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 03:28:43 »
Either way I am excited, skipped the 980 and have been waiting for these to upgrade from my 970 :cool:
filco MJ2 Blues|Leopold 660c

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:40:46 »
So I could buy a 1080 in America, get it shipped to me, pay HMRC 20% VAT on $699, and it would still be cheaper than the UK RRP.

What a load of bollocks. I'm just going to have to wait for the 1070 third party cards.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 19:34:14 »
I'm holding out for the $599 version, or the aftermarket coolers...

Offline pwade3

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 10:32:10 »
Didn't realize the EVGA step-up stuff was only for 90 days.

So if it were a month wait to get my hands on a non-founders 1080 (worst case) and then 90 days, that's ~4 months to hope the 1080Ti would release in time to be eligible.

Not sure whether I like those odds or not.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 10:38:04 »
I'm not anticipating that any of the manufacturers are going to stick to that $599 price point.

There's no reason for them to charge less for cards with better out-of-the-box clock speeds and/or coolers.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline nugglets

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:41:09 »

There isn't a separate "$599" version coming from nvidia, that's just their suggested retail price for the aftermarket coolers from the AIB partners.

As Computer-Lab in Basement said, I'm not convinced the partners will stick to nvidia's suggestion. Possibly for the base cards with their standard coolers, at the most, but the OC versions with the upgraded coolers like ACX and TwinFrozr will almost certainly not be $599. And then you'll have the Kingpins and other, higher-OC versions retailing above the the Founders Edition most likely.

Still, I think it's best to wait and see at this point. Maybe we will all be surprised and the cards will come in cheaper than expected.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:01:48 »
I'm not anticipating that any of the manufacturers are going to stick to that $599 price point.

There's no reason for them to charge less for cards with better out-of-the-box clock speeds and/or coolers.

I saw a screenshot of EVGA's website that had their non-reference cards starting at $609 and going up to like $659 with a few levels in between of varying clock speeds and coolers.

I'm really curious to see what the water cooled options are going to look like.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:29:11 »

There isn't a separate "$599" version coming from nvidia, that's just their suggested retail price for the aftermarket coolers from the AIB partners.

As Computer-Lab in Basement said, I'm not convinced the partners will stick to nvidia's suggestion. Possibly for the base cards with their standard coolers, at the most, but the OC versions with the upgraded coolers like ACX and TwinFrozr will almost certainly not be $599. And then you'll have the Kingpins and other, higher-OC versions retailing well above the the Founders Edition most likely.

Still, I think it's best to wait and see at this point. Maybe we will all be surprised and the cards will come in cheaper than expected.

I'm actually surprised, EVGA is sticking close to that price point for their stock card with HFS at $609, I placed a preorder for the SC ACX 3.0 at $650, and the FTW is at $680. If you can get through to EVGA's site, that is, it's been ****ed all day since this morning.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline nugglets

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 14:32:27 »

As Computer-Lab in Basement said, I'm not convinced the partners will stick to nvidia's suggestion. Possibly for the base cards with their standard coolers, at the most, but the OC versions with the upgraded coolers like ACX and TwinFrozr will almost certainly not be $599. And then you'll have the Kingpins and other, higher-OC versions retailing well above the the Founders Edition most likely.

I'm actually surprised, EVGA is sticking close to that price point for their stock card with HFS at $609, I placed a preorder for the SC ACX 3.0 at $650, and the FTW is at $680. If you can get through to EVGA's site, that is, it's been ****ed all day since this morning.

Oh wow, nice. I hadn't checked the prices on pre-orders today, since I really can't afford to upgrade right now.

That's pretty awesome, though.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 00:18:19 »
I was looking at buying a new build, but will probably wait until after Computex next weekend to see if anything cool is announced there (and that will be released within two months). Not waiting any longer than that...
pls gief bbv2

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:37:18 »

I saw a screenshot of EVGA's website that had their non-reference cards starting at $609 and going up to like $659 with a few levels in between of varying clock speeds and coolers.

I'm really curious to see what the water cooled options are going to look like.

I'm willing to pay more if the better cools manage to keep the card near-silent in idle / easy processing.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:41:26 »
I was looking at buying a new build, but will probably wait until after Computex next weekend to see if anything cool is announced there (and that will be released within two months). Not waiting any longer than that...

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I'm willing to pay more if the better cools manage to keep the card near-silent in idle / easy processing.

Don't forget that sweet OC potential.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 13:44:43 »

Good point. But I'm a coward and I am always afraid I will brick my GPU when overclocking. Had it twice already with motherboards and memory.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 22:41:38 »

Good point. But I'm a coward and I am always afraid I will brick my GPU when overclocking. Had it twice already with motherboards and memory.

Bricking by GPU overclocking is pretty rare nowadays, because you're not voltage modding, everything is actually predetermined

People expect overclocking, so they built that entire process into the design specification..

Which is stupid, because that only means it's not operating at maximum clock to begin with.

With ram and motherboard,  this situation is different, because they usually allow massive over-volting..  which can kill cpu and ram,   rarely the motherboard itself..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 14:27:45 »

Bricking by GPU overclocking is pretty rare nowadays, because you're not voltage modding, everything is actually predetermined

People expect overclocking, so they built that entire process into the design specification..

Which is stupid, because that only means it's not operating at maximum clock to begin with.

With ram and motherboard,  this situation is different, because they usually allow massive over-volting..  which can kill cpu and ram,   rarely the motherboard itself..

Cool, didn't knew that. I already found overclocking memory hardcore. But basically because I NEVER got XMP profiles to work with DD3 and Asus motherboards. Dunno why... it should've worked but never did so eventually I gave up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 11:43:07 »

Cool, didn't knew that. I already found overclocking memory hardcore. But basically because I NEVER got XMP profiles to work with DD3 and Asus motherboards. Dunno why... it should've worked but never did so eventually I gave up.

typically, xmp requires more voltage.. for example if it says 1.65v on the memory label,  you want to use something like 1.665 or 1.675

You'd also want to set the main timings manually..

If you're on sandybridge or later,  you need to increase the memory controller voltage..

If you're pre-sandybridge, you need to increase northbridge voltage.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:30:47 »

After re-evaluating, I realised I really don't need the premium of a Broadwell-E CPU and the X99 chipset. I built a rig with a 6700K, 32GB RAM and an Intel 950 Pro. I ordered an Asus Strix 1080, hopefully I get it soon (currently using my old 980).
pls gief bbv2

Offline Wazazaby

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:48:11 »
This graphic card is a beast :O I need to update my 770 for sure

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 00:34:18 »
Waiting for the 1080 ti whenever that comes out.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 09:30:22 »
The GTX 1080 Gaming X from MSI looks really damn good.
I am in a dilemma though, I don't know whether to get another 980Ti instead, because I'm staying on 1080p for the forseeable future.
And wait for the 2nd generation of the new chip instead.

Anybody wanna weigh in on this?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:50:51 »
If you are staying on 1080p just stick with the 980ti you already have.. why get a 2nd one even? :o

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:58:20 »
Anyone want to get rid of their crappy 980 or 980 ti? I'll even pay shipping.

That said, I would love to go to a 1070 and rebuild my desktop.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 21:19:34 »
If you are staying on 1080p just stick with the 980ti you already have.. why get a 2nd one even? :o
Partly for the SLI performance. Partly because 2 cards look cool. lol. I don't have a good reason for a 2nd Ti.

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 02:02:36 »
This card looks fantastic... can't wait for the 980's to drop in price since that's all I'll be able to afford D;

Offline smokemm

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 20:05:57 »
Hopefully the 1080s drop in price towards the end of the year - October or November. Maybe by then video card scalpers will move on and stores will actually have them in stock.... :(

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:29:08 »
Just got my Gigabyte gtx 1080 g1. Need to put it through it's paces, but so far it's performing pretty awesome. gta 5 looks amazing with all the bells and whistles on.
pls gief bbv2

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 14:33:34 »
This card looks fantastic... can't wait for the 980's to drop in price since that's all I'll be able to afford D;

That's what I did. When the 980 came out, I bought a second-hand 780 for $180 shipped to me.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 15:04:27 »
First mITX - sized Pascal card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 08:53:10 »
Not paying VAT here so, woot, 21% to remove from the Germany/France MSRP price!

I don't plan on buying one (not into gaming at all) but a friend asked me: would this work on an "old" (2013) ASUStek mobo P8Z77Z mobo? The card has the following slots :

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

The CPU is a 3rd gen Ivy Bridge i7 3770K.

Can he just buy a GTX 1080 and plug it in his four-years old PC?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 10:50:06 »
Why wouldn't it work? That is a PCIe 3.0 ×16 slot.
You would need to run Windows 10 to get DirectX 12 though.

Each new generation of Intel's CPUs have had a smaller and smaller improvement over the next. From what I have heard, an Ivy Bridge i7 is still considered a fast CPU.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 19:28:12 »
Each new generation of Intel's CPUs have had a smaller and smaller improvement over the next. From what I have heard, an Ivy Bridge i7 is still considered a fast CPU.

He's still running Windows 7, thanks a lot for the tip about Windows 10 / DirectX 12.

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 11:53:04 »
So the new Zotac 1080 Extreme editions are at a pre order price of only $1044.

And the Gigabyte extreme 1080s are only $1100.

****ing hate NVidia and their market dominance. Places can charge whatever the **** they want for cards now and they know people will pay for it because AMD can't do ****.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 21:32:22 »
Too bad the pound went down so hard ;(

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 09:07:09 »
It's not even because of that. It's because people are ****ing *******s. Even in the week between the pound recovering and falling again, the price of the inno3d version of the 1080 went up 50GBP.

Yeah it doesn't help now, but I've never seen anything like this before.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:34:11 »
Everyone needs AMD to get their **** together :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:55:14 »
RX480 seems to be all good so far..

Even unlockable from 4gb version to 8gb..

That's pretty beast...

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 15:31:32 »
Yeah but it isn't in the same leagues as the 1070 let alone the 1080.. AMD needs to come out with their high end stuff ;)