Author Topic: Help Ergodox EZ Issue (Switch has to be replaced)  (Read 2736 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Help Ergodox EZ Issue (Switch has to be replaced)
« on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 11:18:30 »
Hello,

A friend has an issue with his new Ergodox EZ keyboard. 2 switches (Gateron Brows) are don't have the bump when pressed down(whatever the term is) at all like the rest. He wants to replace those/fix them. Would he have to desolder and solder again? Has anyone tried this before? Any help or suggestions?

Regards
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:26:31 by DuckNorris »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Help Ergodox EZ Issue (Switch has to be replaced)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:28:04 »
Browns shouldn't click at all.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:25:53 »
Browns shouldn't click at all.

*Bump I guess would be the better term. The bump is gone :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:13:23 »
I'm not sure if the ergodoxez easy has the switch top removing slots..

tell him to take a picture of the switch straight down from the top with a block of 9 key caps off.

if the ergodoxez has the slots like the regular ergodox,  thennnn you don't have to desolder, you just replace the stem donated from a new switch.

Offline phoible

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:11:56 »
If it's an Ergodox EZ, doesn't he have a warranty? It seems like the point of getting the EZ in the first place is so that you don't have to DIY.

Offline buzzking00

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 00:43:28 »
They come with warranty.

"What is your warranty policy?
The ErgoDox EZ is covered by an extensive 2-year warranty. As long as you don't take it apart or physically break it, you should be covered. If you feel that something isn't working right, or have any questions regarding our warranty, please contact us."

E-mail them at contact@ergodox-ez.com

https://ergodox-ez.com/pages/faq

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 02:23:24 »
They come with warranty.

"What is your warranty policy?
The ErgoDox EZ is covered by an extensive 2-year warranty. As long as you don't take it apart or physically break it, you should be covered. If you feel that something isn't working right, or have any questions regarding our warranty, please contact us."

E-mail them at contact@ergodox-ez.com

https://ergodox-ez.com/pages/faq

yea but it's a pain in the ass to ship it back and forth, and it would cost more to ship it than to buy the switch and perhaps fix it yourself.

I suppose that's the decision here.

also, it takes forever for warranty replacement 2 weeks to get there,  some lazy guy mulls it over , a week of angry emails back and forth,  you get a replacement a month out..

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:51:29 »

tell him to take a picture of the switch straight down from the top with a block of 9 key caps off.

if the ergodoxez has the slots like the regular ergodox,  thennnn you don't have to desolder, you just replace the stem donated from a new switch.

Found took off the switch , the little cross inside the switch (stem?) and the spring. However, the issue seems to be with the little copper part in the back of the switch. It is way too sensitive so either does not click or repeats the same keypress forever until I separate the little copper parts apart inside the switch. It is weird as they both seem to be like that. There is no way to replace that little copper parts in the back right that trigger the signal in the switch?

It is platemounted but regardless this switch is soldered on to the pcb correct?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:24:55 »

Found took off the switch , the little cross inside the switch (stem?) and the spring. However, the issue seems to be with the little copper part in the back of the switch. It is way too sensitive so either does not click or repeats the same keypress forever until I separate the little copper parts apart inside the switch. It is weird as they both seem to be like that. There is no way to replace that little copper parts in the back right that trigger the signal in the switch?

It is platemounted but regardless this switch is soldered on to the pcb correct?

@tp4 yeah i emailed them a while ago when i was in the market for a dox and they said it was

the little copper conductors are connected to the base of the switch, which are soldered to the pcb

if you open an adjacent switch that is in working condition, you might notice that the faulty ones are bent, or something

alternatively, you could post a pic here

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 13:54:30 »
Thank you all very much for your help. I wrote an email to the company on his behalf and explained what happened and they will ship one to him for replacement.  He was just freaking out a lot and keep in mind this was his first every mechanical keyboard so I did not want him to have a terrible experience. Although we got J key working , F was an issue and it was such a headache messing with those copper thingies at the back of a switch.

Btw AMAZING customer service from Ergodox EZ , AMAZING. They were very helpful every step of the way and will replace it right away. Honest, the issue was more on the Gateron switches , when you remove a keycap why the eff did the switch come apart? This never happened to me in Cherry switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 14:43:15 by DuckNorris »