Author Topic: Keyboard with thumb keys on the underside  (Read 2595 times)

Offline cheater

Keyboard with thumb keys on the underside
« on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 05:36:47 »
Hi guys,
I've been using a very flat keyboard for some time now, the Cherry KW 6000, and it's pretty fun to use. The tiny size allows me to hook my keyboards under it while my hands are idling.

Our thumbs are opposing, so I have been thinking: the way keyboards are made can't possibly be using them the right way. As I understand some types of carpal tunnel happen because we don't perform the grabbing motion often enough.

Has anyone experimented with a keyboard where the space bar and modifier keys are on the underside?

Myself, I use modifier keys a lot. If every time I used them I were performing a grabbing motion, this could possibly help reduce RSI and risk of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. A good 5 years ago I've been on the verge of getting that, I've had the first symptoms. Luckily enough, that's gone.

The idea occurred to me to take another KW 6000 and just glue it underneath the first one, at a slight offset. I could take off the key caps from the other keys and cover the switches with something, like a plane of plastic.

Has anyone considered such a design? Does such a keyboard exist? Have you ever used such a keyboard?

Thanks!

Offline hoggy

Re: Keyboard with thumb keys on the underside
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:36:31 »
I don't think it would be nice on a flat horizontal keyboard, but you could be onto something on a tented or even vertical device, with the fingers pointing towards each other slightly (think steeple, but pointing away from you rather than up) - almost like a game controller.

An easy way to build one would be to get hold of a makey makey...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline cheater

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 02:58:09 »
I see what you mean there. Yeah, a non-flat keyboard is on my to-do list. Luckily enough... it can be made by just getting two of the keyboard I already have :)

I do want to try this first, though: keys on the underside. I'll have to figure out how to make it use a layout separate to the one the "top side" uses. I heard there was a way in Linux but I'm not sure how to activate it. It was somehow related to multiseat configurations I believe..

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 07:09:25 »
Interestingggg

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:02:00 »
this could work.. it would only be useful for the "resting technique" typers where they rest their wrists on something..

For speed typers, that use the Hover method to make quick row transitions.. the buttons being on the side would require them to dip their hands below the keyboard horizon..  that's unnecessarily time consuming.