Author Topic: Which keyboard (K-Switch) for "Fighting Games" ?  (Read 9121 times)

Offline sami77

Which keyboard (K-Switch) for "Fighting Games" ?
« on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 23:00:42 »
hello geekhack... i don't know if thats the right place for this thread
this is going to be  for Gamers that Play (Fighting games) on Keyboard  !

SF, MK , Tekken .. Extra

for years and years i spend my whole life play Fighting games on PC (Keyboard) from Yie Ar Kung Fu (MSX) to Mortal Kombat X  (Steam)

tried punch of switches , Membrane, Cherry Red , Blue , Brown , Black , and Green

by the time i got experience to all these i found  CHERRY MX  GREEN ( Not that Razer's Green Switch)  works Great for me  !

also Black MX is Decent but  Red MX and Hybrid Capacitive Switches are great for (FPS  Primarily / Hardcore )

i really want to dig up some Membranes but most of them 104 Size if not all  i wish to find TKL  with NKRO over USB or at least 6KRO 

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 01:12:16 by sami77 »

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
Re: Which keyboard (K-Switch) for "Fighting Games" ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 02:11:48 »
A custom built/modded fighting stick with HBFS buttons is what I recommend, that's what I use.
HBFS buttons have MX red switches and are easy to replace with other types of MX switches. So you can buy some loose MX green switches and easily replace the red ones that come with the buttons.

I recently did a purchase from their page and got it shipped to my place (so it's legit) but it seems to be down for the moment.
http://www.gamerfinger.com/hbfs30.html
Alternative link/vendor.
http://www.focusattack.com/hbfs-g2-30mm-mechanical-switch-pushbutton-crystal/

Here's a nice showcase video.

If you wanna avoid the stick then any keyboard will do as long as it has your type of switch. Most 'gamers', no matter what games they are playing tend to use TKL keyboards (no numpad) or even smaller sizes like the 60% Poker (no arrows and function keys, f1, f2 etc). If you still want some direction when it comes to brands then Ducky is what I recommend, they have some boards with MX greens.
| ISO |

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 08:12:04 »
Fighting games are often about timing. You can use any switch as long as you're used to the actuation point. I would have thought the long throw of MX switches would be a negative for these type of games, so I'm surprised they put them in the Gamerfinger switches. I'd have thought a more traditional arcade switch would be better, as they have internal microswitches: http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/push_buttons.html

A shorter throw switch can be actuated fractionally more quickly in response, but it doesn't make much difference.

You may find this thread interesting: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74092.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:22:04 »
You can prolly overcome the timing difference with "super skill"

but... overall.. I feel like if you had a choice.. why make it "harder" by using 2mm over 1mm.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 10:02:46 »
What?! I had no idea people made arcade sticks with Cherry switches. I've always used Sanwa buttons. Can anyone attest as to which they'd prefer?

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 10:20:48 »
What?! I had no idea people made arcade sticks with Cherry switches. I've always used Sanwa buttons. Can anyone attest as to which they'd prefer?

I think Sanwa buttons feels 'cheaper'. The housing/stem of the switch is more loose and gives it a bit of plastic feel to it.
Sanwa sit around 30g force, mx red sits at 45g.
Biggest difference was that mx red feels like they pop up faster then Sanwa, allowing you to 'spam' a little bit better.
| ISO |

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 10:41:31 »
obligatory "EVO was won with a PS1 controller"  :p

Personally, I prefer the hitbox-style arcade sticks, with mostly 24mm buttons aside from the thumb.  I've used mostly sanwa buttons, but I have tried the HBFS mechanical buttons as well, and they're not bad either, just take a bit of getting used to. 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 10:59:22 »

I think Sanwa buttons feels 'cheaper'. The housing/stem of the switch is more loose and gives it a bit of plastic feel to it.
Biggest difference was that mx red feels like they pop up faster then Sanwa, allowing you to 'spam' a little bit better.

Huh. Interesting. I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not a fan of Reds on a board, but maybe they'd be perfect in an arcade stick for me.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 11:02:51 »
obligatory "EVO was won with a PS1 controller"  :p

I love that controller. I have both the DualShock and regular PS1 controller before the DualShock, and the buttons on the regular one feel much better than the DualShock's.

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 11:04:43 »

Huh. Interesting. I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not a fan of Reds on a board, but maybe they'd be perfect in an arcade stick for me.

I thought the same! I rock browns and buckling springs but red does make sense for a stick., gonna try with blue one day. Its nice that its so easy to swap the switches on HBFS buttons!
| ISO |

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 11:09:19 »
Its nice that its so easy to swap the switches on HBFS buttons!

So if I wanted to try Blue later on I can just open up the buttons and swap the switches?

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 11:32:53 »
Its nice that its so easy to swap the switches on HBFS buttons!

So if I wanted to try Blue later on I can just open up the buttons and swap the switches?

Yeah, check the video I linked, around 2:10. ;D
| ISO |

Offline sami77

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:28:22 »
i do have Custom arcade sticks that made special for me  which has right stick (mirror) and w/ zippy microswitches
i also go Seimitsu LS-32 , 33 and LS 40.. However  i don't like it

i may try the O'Rings ...

Recently i got Noppoo EC104 Pro (capacitive) there is feature 2mm, 3mm trigger switch but i can't tell whether if i'm on 2mm or 3mm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 05:59:26 »
Pretty much any switch is suitable for any purpose, with exceptions based on your preferences and capabilities.

Many people don't like gaming on stiffer switches - the effort to repeatedly press MX blacks or greens causes hand and finger pain for some.

Other people don't like really light switches, like MX reds, as it is too easy to press a key when you are just resting your hand slightly.

Others prefer tactile switches, like MX browns or clears, and with practice can hover just above the actuation point for quicker actuation.

The only way you'll know for sure is to try a few different keyboards and see how you go.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ