Author Topic: What do you eat? The thread about things you eat.  (Read 530308 times)

Offline Kavik

Re: What do you eat? The thread about things you eat.
« Reply #2000 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 20:10:24 »
Raspberries! Garden is going crazy, so it's raspberry, raspberries, raspberries... Strawberries. Blueberries. Berry party!

My cucumber plants is producing like crazy. I have 5 or 6 cucumbers in my crisper but no idea what I'm going to eat them on.

I almost have some cantaloupes ready to pick also.

My tomato plants are 0 for 3 so far.

Hmmm. I don't have any advice for cucumbers as I'm not a huge fan, I'm sorry! Have you tried to make pickles? :D Find some new salad recipes? I've been really wanting to try this recipe for cucumbers but haven't had a chance to yet: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/easiest-fridge-dill-pickles/

Poor tomato plants. :( I wish them luck and health! Hope they grow for you soon.

I love pickles, so I may try that with a few. These things are the size of my forearm, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit them in a jar (I didn't realize it's ok to cut them *before* pickling). Thanks!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2001 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 20:18:51 »
Raspberries! Garden is going crazy, so it's raspberry, raspberries, raspberries... Strawberries. Blueberries. Berry party!

My cucumber plants is producing like crazy. I have 5 or 6 cucumbers in my crisper but no idea what I'm going to eat them on.

Hmmm. I don't have any advice for cucumbers as I'm not a huge fan, I'm sorry! Have you tried to make pickles? :D Find some new salad recipes? I've been really wanting to try this recipe for cucumbers but haven't had a chance to yet: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/easiest-fridge-dill-pickles/

Poor tomato plants. :( I wish them luck and health! Hope they grow for you soon.

I love pickles, so I may try that with a few. These things are the size of my forearm, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit them in a jar (I didn't realize it's ok to cut them *before* pickling). Thanks!
If they're that big you could slice them in half take the seeds out and fill them with yummy things to make cucumber boats.

You can even do a 'sandwich' with them, stuff with your preferred meat and cheese.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*
« Reply #2002 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 20:57:26 »

Wow, those sound huge! Awesome job. :D If you do try the pickles, let me know! I've been curious about them for a while.

Or, like Spamray said, cucumber boats is a good idea, too! That's initially what I thought of, but I've only seen it with zucchini, so I didn't suggest it. But I'm sure you could do lots of yummy things in them.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2003 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 22:46:01 »
best store pickles there are:

Offline adoringbunny

« Reply #2004 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 23:42:43 »
best store pickles there are:
Show Image

It even says on the label, best pickle in America :eek:

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2005 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 13:58:07 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I have enough of them that I can probably try all of those.

I plan on getting the pickling stuff today, so I will tell you how they turn out.

I will keep an eye out for the Bubbies pickles if they're around here. I usually get Claussen since they're so crispy.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2006 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:44:22 »
adoringbunny,

I have executed the recipe you posted. The results are fairly decent. I'd say the taste is maybe a little heavy on the vinegar. The recipe also states that the jar will fill up with juice sapped from the cucumbers; this does not appear to be the case. The liquid level is maybe only half a centimeter higher now, which could also be explained by more volume of cucumbers sinking into the liquid. It may be advisable to add some water to increase the liquid volume a bit and dilute the vinegar. Or maybe I should have added more salt to sap the cucumber juice. I only added dill (I couldn't find dill seed though), salt, and white vinegar. All in all, it beats eating raw cucumbers. Worth a try if you have some vinegar.

I made a second batch with some coins and some spears. In this batch, I used 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water. I poured this over the cucumbers boiling instead of room temperature. In this batch, I added dill, bay leaf, salt, and two (?) cloves of garlic. I filled the jar within about a centimeter of the top. I haven't opened this one yet; I'm going to let it sit another day before trying it.

Another use I've found for the left over scraps is to throw them into a pitcher of ice water. It gives the water a nice refreshing, but unobtrusive, flavor. I'd seen this at a few spas and coffee shops before.

Posted recipe (Left) and alternate recipe (Right)
199646-0

After sitting for several hours (and being munched on a few times)
199644-1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2007 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 23:04:50 »
As a kid I used to like Pringles, but as I grew older my taste developed and I recognized Pringles to be an inferior chip. Around high school I made the switch over to kettle cooked, eschewing the standard chip due to their menial crunch factor. Salt and vinegar was a favorite, striking a perfect balance between the tart notes of the vinegar and the saltiness of the salt. Sometime later in my early adult life I changed to baked chips for health concerns, but soon realized they were basically just Pringles.

But now as an adult with a sophisticated and experienced pallet I find there is no chip quite as satisfying as a well-executed tortilla. Now I'm not speaking of your bog standard Doritos type, but of the restaurant style full-flavored thick bois that grease your finger tips as you dip into the bag and cut the roof of your mouth with their superior structural integrity. Yessir, I am a tortilla chip kinda man.

Offline adoringbunny

« Reply #2008 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 23:29:58 »
adoringbunny,

I have executed the recipe you posted. The results are fairly decent. I'd say the taste is maybe a little heavy on the vinegar. The recipe also states that the jar will fill up with juice sapped from the cucumbers; this does not appear to be the case. The liquid level is maybe only half a centimeter higher now, which could also be explained by more volume of cucumbers sinking into the liquid. It may be advisable to add some water to increase the liquid volume a bit and dilute the vinegar. Or maybe I should have added more salt to sap the cucumber juice. I only added dill (I couldn't find dill seed though), salt, and white vinegar. All in all, it beats eating raw cucumbers. Worth a try if you have some vinegar.

I made a second batch with some coins and some spears. In this batch, I used 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water. I poured this over the cucumbers boiling instead of room temperature. In this batch, I added dill, bay leaf, salt, and two (?) cloves of garlic. I filled the jar within about a centimeter of the top. I haven't opened this one yet; I'm going to let it sit another day before trying it.

Another use I've found for the left over scraps is to throw them into a pitcher of ice water. It gives the water a nice refreshing, but unobtrusive, flavor. I'd seen this at a few spas and coffee shops before.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! You are fast! Thank you for the detailed follow up, this is awesome! And the pictures. Amazing!

Overall, it sounds like the recipe went okay, yeah? Nothing amazing... Your alternative recipe with the extras sounds really yummy, I hope they turn out fantastic! And I like how you cut them in spears, look like they'd be great to eat with a sandwich!

As for my raspberries, I think I'm going to make scones... Not quite as exciting as pickles, however, but maybe close. :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2009 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 00:06:01 »
adoringbunny,

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Whoa! You are fast! Thank you for the detailed follow up, this is awesome! And the pictures. Amazing!

Overall, it sounds like the recipe went okay, yeah? Nothing amazing... Your alternative recipe with the extras sounds really yummy, I hope they turn out fantastic! And I like how you cut them in spears, look like they'd be great to eat with a sandwich!

As for my raspberries, I think I'm going to make scones... Not quite as exciting as pickles, however, but maybe close. :)

Raspberry scones sound incredible. Pics please, so I can cheat meal with my eyeballs haha

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2010 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 01:01:34 »
As a kid I used to like Pringles, but as I grew older my taste developed and I recognized Pringles to be an inferior chip. Around high school I made the switch over to kettle cooked, eschewing the standard chip due to their menial crunch factor. Salt and vinegar was a favorite, striking a perfect balance between the tart notes of the vinegar and the saltiness of the salt. Sometime later in my early adult life I changed to baked chips for health concerns, but soon realized they were basically just Pringles.

But now as an adult with a sophisticated and experienced pallet I find there is no chip quite as satisfying as a well-executed tortilla. Now I'm not speaking of your bog standard Doritos type, but of the restaurant style full-flavored thick bois that grease your finger tips as you dip into the bag and cut the roof of your mouth with their superior structural integrity. Yessir, I am a tortilla chip kinda man.

Man I still love Pringles.   My favorite pickles are Claussen (or Claussen style) spears.  I also, really like BoarsHead, and Grillo's Pickles.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2011 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 07:41:19 »
This is our take on what traditionally is called a horseshoe. (The horseshoes I've eaten in restaurants have a piece of toast with a hamburger patty on top covered in french fries and smothered in cheese sauce.)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2012 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 09:23:08 »
My home state is known for the "hot brown" which tastes amazing but immediately makes me feel sick after eating due to how unhealthy it is.

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2013 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 10:14:49 »
adoringbunny,

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Raspberry scones sound incredible. Pics please, so I can cheat meal with my eyeballs haha

I agree. Pics of raspberry scones would be great! I was really into baking at the beginning of last year, but I haven't made anything in about a year. Maybe I can use these for inspiration.

I'll report back later if the alternate recipe worked better. If not, I'll tweak it and try again (I have 11 cucumbers left, so I get lots of re-dos).

Man I still love Pringles.   My favorite pickles are Claussen (or Claussen style) spears.  I also, really like BoarsHead, and Grillo's Pickles.

Pringles are the equivalent of mechanically separated chicken. Regular potato chips are made from thinly sliced potatoes while Pringles are made from mashed up, dried, and reformed potato powder. They're made this way so that they all turn out the same shape and stack neatly in the tube. This is why they have no crunch.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2014 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 11:59:41 »
I'm going to let it sit another day before trying it.
I pickled cucumber about a year ago I think. The recipe mandated that cucumber slices should sit in only salt overnight or a few days, which was supposed to make them extra crunchy. Then they should have the salt rinsed off before being mixed with spices and a sugar/salt/vinegar brine.

Then the jar should sit for six weeks before opening the first time.
I dunno why that last part, but I followed it and the result was good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 12:01:49 by Findecanor »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2015 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 18:45:09 »
adoringbunny,

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I agree. Pics of raspberry scones would be great! I was really into baking at the beginning of last year, but I haven't made anything in about a year. Maybe I can use these for inspiration.

I'll report back later if the alternate recipe worked better. If not, I'll tweak it and try again (I have 11 cucumbers left, so I get lots of re-dos).

Pringles are the equivalent of mechanically separated chicken. Regular potato chips are made from thinly sliced potatoes while Pringles are made from mashed up, dried, and reformed potato powder. They're made this way so that they all turn out the same shape and stack neatly in the tube. This is why they have no crunch.

I can't help but marvel at the way pringles are made: most expense is spared when the machines cut the chips out of the sheets; retain the leftovers from the sheets; mash it up again; and then roll out a new sheet. For some reason I really like the tortilla salsa fiesta pringles. I confess, sometimes the chips I get are not even Pringles brand but it's mostly cut in the same factories anyway. Pretty good for what they are.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2016 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 11:41:00 »
I'm going to let it sit another day before trying it.
I pickled cucumber about a year ago I think. The recipe mandated that cucumber slices should sit in only salt overnight or a few days, which was supposed to make them extra crunchy. Then they should have the salt rinsed off before being mixed with spices and a sugar/salt/vinegar brine.

Then the jar should sit for six weeks before opening the first time.
I dunno why that last part, but I followed it and the result was good.

I may have to try that; although, that sounds more like a "true" pickle (if that's even a term). As practice, I've just been making refrigerator pickles, which only stay good for three weeks and must be refrigerated. I may need some better equipment to can them for true preservation. I don't know if these jars can be sealed correctly.

The "alternate" recipe turned out a little bit better; the product definitely tastes more like a pickle and less like just a cucumber that's been sitting in vinegar. But they aren't crunchy, which may be a result of the particular cucumber I chose. But salting them for a day or two before hand may be worth a try as well.

Recipe #2 wins; however, recipe #1 does taste better after letting more time pass.

I have enough cucumbers, but I need more jars!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2017 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 13:23:31 »
You can also try grilling or pan frying the cucumbers to get a quick snack. I do the same with zucchini and apparently cucumbers are good this way too.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2018 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 13:31:18 »
You can also try grilling or pan frying the cucumbers to get a quick snack. I do the same with zucchini and apparently cucumbers are good this way too.
Seriously?

I get cooked zucchini it is good but cucumber??

Now I've got to try.....  :confused:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2019 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 13:34:49 »
From what I've heard yeah. Never had it myself though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2020 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 14:15:30 »

Black cherry frozen banana smoothie. This one might hurt me later. But the flavor is.. oh my

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2021 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:10:24 »
Show Image

Black cherry frozen banana smoothie. This one might hurt me later. But the flavor is.. oh my

Try Tp4's  Summer Slush..

38% Volume, Black Bean (pressure cooker 45min), 1 inch water above overnight soaked beans.

Let Beans cool, and Refrigerate (Not Freeze) at least 4 hrs to overnight.

62% Volume, Water Melon

[Important] Put the black beans on the Bottom of the Bowl.

Then start mixing the solution from the Top Down using a Rice Shwoop in a plunging motion all the way to the Base..

Stop plunge mixing when watermelon reaches ~ 0.75 inch cubes.

Finally, Begin side fold mixing (to center) until Black Beans absorb the released Melon Juice..

End product should have ~0.6 Inch cubes of melon in a thinned-out Bean slush.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2022 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:46:23 »
Show Image

Try Tp4's  Summer Slush..

38% Volume, Black Bean (pressure cooker 45min), 1 inch water above overnight soaked beans.

Let Beans cool, and Refrigerate (Not Freeze) at least 4 hrs to overnight.

62% Volume, Water Melon

[Important] Put the black beans on the Bottom of the Bowl.

Then start mixing the solution from the Top Down using a Rice Shwoop in a plunging motion all the way to the Base..

Stop plunge mixing when watermelon reaches ~ 0.75 inch cubes.

Finally, Begin side fold mixing (to center) until Black Beans absorb the released Melon Juice..

End product should have ~0.6 Inch cubes of melon in a thinned-out Bean slush.

I would be interested in seeing that that looks like; can't picture it in my head for some reason..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2023 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:09:40 »

I would be interested in seeing that that looks like; can't picture it in my head for some reason..

Looks like the stuff you made,  in addition to red chunks of watermelon.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2024 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:18:42 »

Looks like the stuff you made,  in addition to red chunks of watermelon.

Seeing is beliefing. Moar pictures :eek:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2025 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 17:44:39 »
Back on keto as of yesterday. I forgot how good everything can be when you make it yourself. I also forgot how damn expensive it was, and how much I hate cleaning the kitchen 2x a day.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2026 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 23:13:19 »
a big 'ol ribeye and some roasted asparagus

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2027 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 23:59:42 »
a big 'ol ribeye and some roasted asparagus
Show Image

That is a cute'o plate. and a juicy looking steak.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2028 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 17:35:50 »
Adding some ACV to my diet.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2029 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 18:16:23 »
Smoked oyster and purple onion with a dash of old bay, sriracha and cream cheese on a ritz cracker.

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 18:25:25 by SpAmRaY »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2030 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:40:39 »
Frozen blueberry & carrot coffee cake smoothie. I'd snap a picture if the smoothie was a bit more photogenic.

edit - the "coffee cake" part of the smoothie was actually just oatmeal and a scoop of cappuccino style instant coffee
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 22:50:44 by csmertx »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2031 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:09:51 »
BBQ chicken,  green beans and cucumbers and onion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2032 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 16:05:23 »
Show Image

Which chicken parts are those.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2033 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 16:10:21 »
Show Image

Which chicken parts are those.
It was a boneless skinless chicken breast before I tore it into pieces.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2034 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 16:22:36 »

It was a boneless skinless chicken breast before I tore it into pieces.

Used to love those from costco..

I didn't like how they'd pump it full of potassium or saline to increase the sell weight though..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2035 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 01:02:35 »
dawgs an aegs

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #2036 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:03:15 »
Is that Grey Poupon next to the dawgs?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2037 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:48:37 »
Looks like spicy brown.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2038 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:49:36 »
Looks like spicy brown.

Prolly some sort of mustard.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2039 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 16:18:55 »
'tis this good stuff

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2040 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 16:59:50 »
'tis this good stuff
Show Image

picture color looks very different from product flyer..

I guess it oxidizes really fast ?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2041 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 18:47:50 »
Beef it's what's for dinner.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2043 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 19:56:21 »
Show Image

How many can you eat Spam ?
I ate one with all the fixings and took a bite out of just a burger patty and gave the rest to the doggos.

I'll eat another one tomorrow for lunch.

They were really good though. I'm just trying not to overeat. :confused:

We originally planned to have another family over for dinner but plans changed another reason there are so many.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2044 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 19:57:50 »
Show Image

I ate one with all the fixings and took a bite out of just a burger patty and gave the rest to the doggos.

We originally planned to have another family over for dinner but plans changed another reason there are so many.

Not makin' dat Triple Stack Triple Cheese Triple Bacon?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2045 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 20:05:25 »
Show Image

Haha no way, not anymore.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2046 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 20:08:02 »
Show Image

Haha no way, not anymore.

Lordy :eek:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2048 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 20:14:28 »
Burrito Zucchini Boats

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2049 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 18:07:36 »
Broiled tilapia, cheese grits and corn on the cob.