Author Topic: Hate MX Browns? Post here. (Like them? Go away.)  (Read 5945 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Hate MX Browns? Post here. (Like them? Go away.)
« on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 05:26:48 »
Which switch does Cherry sell the most? MX Browns.

Lifehacker called Browns "some of the most popular on the market."

Ergodox says Browns are "our most popular switch."

PCGamer.com prattled, "A good blend of typing and gaming. Cherry MX Brown is widely considered the best 'middle-ground' switch... Its tactile bump, silent travel, and medium actuation force makes it versatile."

CODE says, "[We offer] the wildly popular Cherry MX Brown mechanical keyswitches... [They] are very balanced for typing or gaming excellence."

Yeah, well—blah, blah, blah.

As more than one GH member has astutely observed, MX Browns feel like MX Reds with sand in them. It's such a dead-accurate description, it baffles me why those guys above didn't say something like, "MX Browns are Cherry's most popular switch, even though they feel like MX Reds with sand in them, so go figure." I can only surmise that strangely focused cosmic rays disrupted their brains and prevented them from finishing that otherwise bloody obvious sentence.

Is it just a coincidence that Cherry made MX Browns the color of excrement? I don't think so.

If you don't like MX Browns, please post your honest, uninhibited, pedal-to-the-floor opinions here.

If you do like Browns, there are lots of other threads, so please go away and post in some of those instead. We're not interested in groundless, pathetic whinging proving only that Browns have clouded your judgment.

Some peeps are so brainwashed by the Brown's supposed popularity, they're convinced they should like them—and that if they don't, there's something wrong with them, not the switches.

When others start using the bumpy, scratchy things, it apparently creates an subconscious, hypnotic effect that transports them to a dreamy magical brown world where they're so busy floating around humming and smiling and eating brown candy or whatever that they don't realize they're thumping away on gritty, icky, scratchy excuses for switches they could be using to polish beach rocks.

Press, scratch, bump, scratch... Bleah! MX Browns.

OK, now you.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Hate MX Browns? Post here. (Like them? Go away.)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 07:10:46 »
They're uber bad when new..

Broken in , they're not toooo awful

OVERALL.. they're p00py

n00bers buy them because they read internet, and never had the time to compare.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 09:16:17 »
but have you ever tried vintage browns ??

Offline vegs

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 09:50:34 »
but have you ever tried vintage browns ??
I have, they are still bad. Smoother, sure, but still pretty bad in my opinion.

I know some people like the close to non-existent tactile bump in mx browns, but I just find it annoying :confused: The only reason I'd use MX browns would be to mix things up a bit. They're in the same category as clickies for me. Interesting for a short amount of time, then just annoying :'(
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 10:12:37 »
I don't like browns as well but what can you do. The mainstream only knows of 4 switches Red,Black,Brown,Blue. And it doesn't help that people see Chinese switches as a inferior product to cherry's switches.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 11:53:39 »
Wow “mx red with sand in them”. That’s how I describe it to anyone that asks about switches. Research before GH led me to believe they were the best, what a lie.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 12:00:43 »
Wow “mx red with sand in them”. That’s how I describe it to anyone that asks about switches. Research before GH led me to believe they were the best, what a lie.
Same, when I researched my first kb it was common thought that browns were the ultimate switch (just before the ergo clear bandwagon). I have always hated that MX brown board.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 12:55:41 »
The only full board I've tried them in was a Kinesis Advantage. They didn't seem as terrible as I thought, but I was more focused on the weird layout than the key feel.

I have one MX Brown in a switch tester, and I understand the hatred from that. As someone who doesn't think Zealios have enough tactility, I can't imagine even noticing the bump in browns when typing. I have to say that I'm sometimes tempted by the ultra cheap boards with MX Browns just to try them out.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 13:06:03 »
I gave away my mx brown board because I hated it.
My friend really loved it though so it turned out for the best.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 13:17:42 »
This is how I view MX Browns...

209651-0

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 17:07:58 »
Same, when I researched my first kb it was common thought that browns were the ultimate switch (just before the ergo clear bandwagon). I have always hated that MX brown board.

I was lucky and fell in love with the Ducky Year of the Rabbit, only option were blacks. Ducky saved my soul.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 17:23:59 »
'Sup.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 06:28:55 »

n00bers buy them because they read internet, and never had the time to compare.

yeah... I read the internet and buy them as my first mech
after trying MX Blue, I never touch Brown again.

exactly

Offline xarkkon

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 06:33:04 »
Read about them around the time I first started learning about keebs (was using a blackwidow then). Sounded like heaven. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! Tactile... but quiet!

Met someone who had reds and browns. Learnt the painful truth that very day.

Best of both worlds? More like a switch that can't make up it's f-ing mind!

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 10:06:17 »
I'd only tried blues or reds, and I wanted something quiet I could use in the office so my first two mechanical keyboards were a Magicforce and a KUL with MX brown switches.

Whoops. I wish I'd tried a keyboard with broken-in blacks sooner. Or clears. Or anything else. My browns sit in their boxes, while I use everything else. Lately topre 55gm have been my one true switch. I've converted 2 HHKBs to 55gm with type-s sliders and they're my favorites.

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 18:53:49 »
OP was hilarious, and it's all true.

(Though TBH I feel largely the same way about all stock MX switches, I just don't like Cherry.)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 19:52:42 »
I thought I hated mx browns until I got a leopold 980m PD with them, been using them everyday since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Darkside

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 21:02:28 »
MX Browns feel like MX Reds with sand in them
YES. That's exactly what they feel like hahaha

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 21:44:12 »
The only full board I've tried them in was a Kinesis Advantage. They didn't seem as terrible as I thought, but I was more focused on the weird layout than the key feel.
They were in fact designed for the Kinesis in the first place. I agree that they work much better there than on a flat keyboard where your fingers don't press the keys in the same way.

Ergodox says Browns are "our most popular switch."
That's ErgoDox EZ, which is a company that sells ready-made ErgoDoxen. ErgoDox is open hardware, designed by people on this board. It came about partly through discussions here on Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2018, 21:51:18 by Findecanor »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 21:50:14 »
It might seem like there are a lot of people who like and recommend MX Browns, but there are also a lot of people who just love to talk about how terrible MX Browns are--this thread is not the first and not the last of its kind.  Seems super subjective, and the only right answer is to try them out and decide for one's self.  MX Brown is a very polarizing switch, for some reason.  They are still a safe intro to mechanical switches coming from rubber domes and not being alienated by really clicky or oddly linear varieties, but a bad batch (scratchy) can create a very negative impression.  People who tend to bottom out a lot when typing and not be sensitive to small variations in tactility might also not like MX Browns.  Personally there are almost no switches that I hate, but I strongly dislike switches with sharp, prominent tactility (like Box Royals) or wobbly-too-long-bump of 62-65g swapped spring MX Clears.  I have a healthy appreciation for good smooth MX Browns, even after having tried dozens upon dozens of different stock and modded switches.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2018, 21:51:53 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ollir_

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 01:57:39 »

I have a healthy appreciation for good smooth MX Browns, even after having tried dozens upon dozens of different stock and modded switches.

Wrong thread, mate!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 04:06:21 »
The point of these switches is just beyond me. The tactility is laughable. What's the point?!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 09:09:24 »
The point of these switches is just beyond me. The tactility is laughable. What's the point?!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98778.msg2698969#msg2698969
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 11:50:28 »
Anyone try mx brown in panda housing with gateron clear springs?

Offline Myth

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 13:43:50 »
Describing Browns as tactile switches is insulting to all the real tactile switches

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 21:32:25 »
This is how I view MX Browns...
(Attachment Link)

LOL. What if they were actually that big?

Exactly! They're a weirdly apologetic switch. "Okay, I don't want to offend anyone by clicking, but I'll make a little bump so people don't consider me completely boring. Not a significant bump, though, because that may offend the person who's typing on me... Best to play it safe all around."

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98778.msg2698969#msg2698969

It might seem like there are a lot of people who like and recommend MX Browns, but there are also a lot of people who just love to talk about how terrible MX Browns are--this thread is not the first and not the last of its kind.  Seems super subjective, and the only right answer is to try them out and decide for one's self.  MX Brown is a very polarizing switch, for some reason.  They are still a safe intro to mechanical switches coming from rubber domes and not being alienated by really clicky or oddly linear varieties, but a bad batch (scratchy) can create a very negative impression.  People who tend to bottom out a lot when typing and not be sensitive to small variations in tactility might also not like MX Browns.  Personally there are almost no switches that I hate, but I strongly dislike switches with sharp, prominent tactility (like Box Royals) or wobbly-too-long-bump of 62-65g swapped spring MX Clears.  I have a healthy appreciation for good smooth MX Browns, even after having tried dozens upon dozens of different stock and modded switches.

Anyone try mx brown in panda housing with gateron clear springs?

Read about them around the time I first started learning about keebs (was using a blackwidow then). Sounded like heaven. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! Tactile... but quiet! ... Met someone who had reds and browns. Learnt the painful truth that very day... Best of both worlds? More like a switch that can't make up it's f-ing mind!

Yep!

Describing Browns as tactile switches is insulting to all the real tactile switches

Yet Deskthority says:

Quote from: Deskthority Wiki
Nowadays, the Cherry MX Brown is a popular switch and available from Cherry directly. Many mechanical keyboards continue to be available with Cherry MX Brown switches. It was voted Best keyboard switch at the Deskthority Awards 2011.

It's a wacky world.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 03:43:41 »
I hate them

a lot less than I hate blues.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 04:06:19 »
Mx browns are turds.... mx are turds... real men use rubbers.