Author Topic: Snoop Dogg  (Read 2408 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Snoop Dogg
« on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 22:08:30 »
Would you say Snoop Dogg is the most well known and recognizable rapper of all-time?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Snoop Dogg
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 22:15:53 »
In the US maybe, he's become a pop icon and teaming up with Martha Stewart exposed him to a lot of people who never would have heard of him.

However, you forgot about LL Cool J and Will Smith who's tv shows and movies cast a much wider net.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 22:16:16 »
i'd say a lot more people would recognize kanye, especially with all the kim k and trump stuff.

i doubt kids these days know who snoop dogg is.  they probably think of post malone or something dumb like that.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 22:19:14 »
In the US maybe, he's become a pop icon and teaming up with Martha Stewart exposed him to a lot of people who never would have heard of him.

However, you forgot about LL Cool J and Will Smith who's tv shows and movies cast a much wider net.

Oh dip, I forgot about Will Smith!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 22:25:40 »
Would you say Snoop Dogg is the most well known and recognizable rapper of all-time?

Yes, IMO, absolutely without a doubt.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 23:09:54 »
I knew snoop dog had something to do with drugs before I knew he was a rapper.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 03:45:33 »
I think Kanye has become pretty iconic because of how wide he's spread his net. Moreso than drake for example

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 04:31:10 »

Being non-US I don't know who Martha Stewart is so that didn't help him :))

I would also guess Ice Cube and Ice T are on a similar level to LL Cool J due to acting but Will Smith surely takes the title, though this is 'famous and a rapper' not 'famous for being a rapper' which is not the same thing.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 08:21:28 »
Ice-T is one I forgot, good one.

I did give consideration to Ice Cube and while recognizable from movies they're very often a bit culture specific so I doubt it's given him the recognizably as the others in terms of mainstream. He also seems perfectly happy behind the scenes producing, voice acting, he doesn't seem to crave the attention and fame the others do and would rather work his own schedule how and where he wants. More power to him.

LL, Snoop and Ice T are big, no doubt, it's just a matter of what they're competing against, Fresh Prince has been syndicated all over the world, plus multiple big budget films, plus massive radio hits... And he wasn't just in those shows and movies, Will Smith headlined them and demands some of the highest pay in the industry as a result.

Look him up on Wikipedia, he's MUCH bigger than I even realized.
Seriously, look him up (wikipedia), the others aren't even playing in the same league.

Oh, as for him not being famous as a rapper, how do you think he got the Fresh Prince role? That same argument holds for LL, Ice T and Ice Cube, possibly even more so. Remember Will had a huge hit for MIB which was not only bigger but also more recent than most of the others have had a hit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 08:31:10 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 10:32:11 »
Everyone knows who Will Smith is but I doubt that many kids these days even know that he, LL Cool J, Ice-T and Ice Cube started out as rappers.

Whereas Snoop Dog, he has managed to stay relevant as a rapper all this time.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 16:45:12 »
Everyone knows who Will Smith is but I doubt that many kids these days even know that he, LL Cool J, Ice-T and Ice Cube started out as rappers.

Whereas Snoop Dog, he has managed to stay relevant as a rapper all this time.

Agreed Will Smith is famous for acting over rapping and Snoop acts, buts it's always sort of a cameo where he plays himself.
I wonder how big Snoop is outside of the US. I know Eminem has a huge following in EU, I wonder if it would be a Hasellhoff situation where the Global market gives Em the edge.

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 15:56:25 »
Snoop and Eminem are the only names I recognise from this thread, and I have no interest in rap music, so I guess the answer is "yes".
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 16:31:25 »
Jay-Z
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 09:50:37 »

I would say that, yes.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::