Author Topic: North Carolina - NC Meetup [Meetup #2 Success!][Local Meetups Being Organized]  (Read 102352 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: North Carolina - NC Meetup Thread [Final Date: June 4th, Asheville]
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 12:03:40 »
If you are interested in having a Sunday Lunch (3rd) hangout/meetup and I don't have your phone #  please PM your number so I can just text everyone instead of relying on GH messages. Any ideas of where to meet for lunch, just keep throwing them out here!

There's a great brunch place in town here, why don't y'all come up and check it out?  :3

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 12:11:46 »
Will your state government let me come if I'm gay?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 12:38:29 »

Gay? of course. They just dont like pre-op trans.  :confused:
-Dana

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 12:39:37 »

Gay? of course. They just dont like pre-op trans.  :confused:

Yeah, I know, I'm mostly kidding. They did just repeal anti-discrimination laws for both gay and trans people though (it was either repeal or uphold not having them).
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline mesteris

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:36:13 »
If you are interested in having a Sunday Lunch (3rd) hangout/meetup and I don't have your phone #  please PM your number so I can just text everyone instead of relying on GH messages. Any ideas of where to meet for lunch, just keep throwing them out here!

Soo's Cafe. 

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 21:32:08 »
Never heard of Soo's. I'm really up for whatever, just let me know if we're thinking Raleigh... i'll pack my stuff in the morning since i'm going to be in north Raleigh from 10-12:30. I was thinking we could try and stop by Bond Brothers and then lunch over at Serendipity if they're open. But its really up to you guys. I dont want to capitalize on location just cause i'm in downtown cary  ;)
-Dana

Offline mesteris

« Reply #356 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 22:40:43 »
They have really great Korean Fried Chicken. Can't say how good it is compared to other korean fried chicken, having not been to any other korean restaurants that specialize in it. However, everyone I've taken there has loved it.

I suppose it's not a great place though if you don't do fried chicken. The rest of their menu is so-so.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 01:00:43 »
They have really great Korean Fried Chicken. Can't say how good it is compared to other korean fried chicken, having not been to any other korean restaurants that specialize in it. However, everyone I've taken there has loved it.

I suppose it's not a great place though if you don't do fried chicken. The rest of their menu is so-so.

considering i grew up in a town that was 50% Korean...  i would be interested to see how this stands up.
-Dana

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 08:00:39 »

I'd be down for Soos. Always down to try some new Korean food places! Will text you guys in a bit
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 08:04:50 »
Def sold on Soos. Ratings are great, pics look amazing, and now I have the hungries. It even says "known for Korean fried chicken" right in Google maps haha

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 08:35:07 »
Aight. I will check in/my phone when i'm out of hockey. which is literally right behind Soo's at the Raleigh Iceplex. (feel free to stop by and watch if you want, my games from 10:30-11:30ish)
-Dana

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #361 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:45:31 »
If you are planning to go or even considering the asheville meetup please PM me with an email that I can send an invite to a slack channel for the meetup where we can figure out location, things to do, places to stay, etc. It will also make people staying in a cabin with Me and some of the gang Im driving up with a bit easier as well  :thumb:

Offline engicoder

« Reply #362 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:55:39 »
First you will have to explain to this old man what a slack channel is :-)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 18:26:59 »
If you are planning to go or even considering the asheville meetup please PM me with an email that I can send an invite to a slack channel for the meetup where we can figure out location, things to do, places to stay, etc. It will also make people staying in a cabin with Me and some of the gang Im driving up with a bit easier as well  :thumb:

Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #364 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 08:58:59 »

Whoops, just saw this. I'm planning on going with Hoff.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 09:17:25 »

Like "Steady"?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #366 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 10:57:11 »

Like "Steady"?

I wish.  I can't compete with Halverson.  :P

@livingspeedbump I'm still planning to go and you know my email

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 13:30:35 »
what do we have so far for this meet on June 4th? I'm working out of town so i've booked a flight back for that weekend... lets get some details worked out!  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 16:33:24 »
what do we have so far for this meet on June 4th? I'm working out of town so i've booked a flight back for that weekend... lets get some details worked out!  :thumb:

I'm down for basically anything. I'very never been to asheville so I can't make Amy recommendations

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 20:35:39 »
Oh damn, I just saw this thread update. I will send my email. Count me as down!

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:08:30 »
Is there a location for this yet? Forgot it was coming up quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:35:16 »
^there doesn't seem to be much info. Seems like LSB is doing everything with no help :/

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 11:40:38 »
Hey all! Thanks to massive amounts of help from Engicoder we have found a very nice spot right downtown for the meetup! I am securing it as we speak so once it is set in stone I will post up further details later today.

http://basecampavl.org/event-meeting-space/

It is available, I am just in the process of paying for it now so will confirm it for sure after I have that all handled. It is looking like it will be $300 for a 4 hour rental, so once I pay for it we may ask for donations just to help split up that cost a bit.

As far as housing goes nobody was really into renting large cabins out to a big non-family group. It will probably be best to find groups and look into hotels. I know a few in town are around $50-$60 a night, so splitting up rooms should be quite affordable. I will post more info on places to stay later as well as I continue to search.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: North Carolina - NC Meetup [6/4 Asheville] Updated 5/20!
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 11:49:46 »

PM'd and never heard back :-/

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 11:59:56 »

Ah sorry, it must have gotten lost in my mail! We haven't really been using it much-at all though. I'll get an invite out asap though!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:00:16 »

Ah sorry, it must have gotten lost in my mail! We haven't really been using it much-at all though. I'll get an invite out asap though!

No worries <3

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Re: North Carolina - NC Meetup [6/4 Asheville] Location Secured!
« Reply #376 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:04:57 »
Ok guys.

Just confirmed the location and paid for it. It is right downtown with parking, I am very excited about the event location! Location link is in the updated OP. If you feel inclined to donate to help cover that cost it would be very helpful, but if you cant afford to spare any extra no worries.

If you are going for sure please confirm, and list up some keyboards you may bring too if you want! last time i kept a running list of people/boards coming to help people pick and choose what to bring. I will try to update the OP daily with the confirmed and maybe attendees.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:12:20 »
Ok guys.

Just confirmed the location and paid for it. It is right downtown with parking, I am very excited about the event location! Location link is in the updated OP. If you feel inclined to donate to help cover that cost it would be very helpful, but if you cant afford to spare any extra no worries.

If you are going for sure please confirm, and list up some keyboards you may bring too if you want! last time i kept a running list of people/boards coming to help people pick and choose what to bring. I will try to update the OP daily with the confirmed and maybe attendees.

Daaaamn! That place looks awesome! WAY TO GO! <3
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #378 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:12:59 »
Ok guys.

Daaaamn! That place looks awesome! WAY TO GO! <3

Yeah it looks great! Looks like...Asheville  :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:18:13 »
Does this cabin place not allow you to leave a deposit to rent the place in case of damage?  I'm so confused.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 17:13:18 »
Does this cabin place not allow you to leave a deposit to rent the place in case of damage?  I'm so confused.

Booper suggested airbnb. The two biggest cabins right by asheville i found just flat out denied us haha.  :-[

Will try to dig into those places later tonight though  :thumb: Fortunately splitting up some decent hotel rooms with people looks to be quite cheap as well if it comes to that.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #381 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 18:08:39 »
Just pm'ed you. I live in Charlotte & have been hoping for a close by keyboard event. Thanks LSB for setting this event up & I'm looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 18:19:26 by William_S_Jones »

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:07:43 »
Hey all! Thanks to massive amounts of help from Engicoder we have found a very nice spot right downtown for the meetup! I am securing it as we speak so once it is set in stone I will post up further details later today.

http://basecampavl.org/event-meeting-space/

It is available, I am just in the process of paying for it now so will confirm it for sure after I have that all handled. It is looking like it will be $300 for a 4 hour rental, so once I pay for it we may ask for donations just to help split up that cost a bit.

As far as housing goes nobody was really into renting large cabins out to a big non-family group. It will probably be best to find groups and look into hotels. I know a few in town are around $50-$60 a night, so splitting up rooms should be quite affordable. I will post more info on places to stay later as well as I continue to search.

Good spot! And it looks like there is a brewery right around the corner :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #383 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:08:50 »
if kompanion goes, ban her from listening to drake the whole time
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #384 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:13:33 »

woah, demik is here? Surprised he gave up valuable time watching all the beyonce music videos on repeat to comment!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:21:04 »
Sooooo...  who is the official fotographer of the geekhack females...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:22:52 »

woah, demik is here? Surprised he gave up valuable time watching all the beyonce music videos on repeat to comment!

I CAN MULTITASK OKAY

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:24:12 »

I CAN MULTITASK OKAY

not with only one monitor you pleb

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #388 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:27:17 »

I CAN MULTITASK OKAY

you acting like i aint got a laptop or tablet tho.

and why must you hit me where it hurts ;-;

#singlemonitorlife

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:29:46 »

I CAN MULTITASK OKAY

#singlemonitorlife

I mostly use a single monitor.. I got multiple tabs though.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 20:30:38 »

I CAN MULTITASK OKAY

#singlemonitorlife

I mostly use a single monitor.. I got multiple tabs though.

see. tp knows what's up

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 02:29:40 »
Just my luck, I wanna go to this but that's the weekend I'm in TX for the X Games.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #392 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 09:13:47 »
This sounds so fun... I'll try to make it to the next one.

Offline rpelkey13

« Reply #393 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 10:17:45 »
Made an account here just to say I'll be attending. I'll be leaving from the West end of 74 in Shelby and will have 2 seats in the cab and room in the bed if it's nice out, so if anyone that has to come through Shelby on the way doesn't want to drive the entire trip, I got room.

I'm planning on bringing my 122key Model M, my K70 RGB with MX reds, and CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with MX blues(or greens if a trade I got going works). I'm also thinking of bringing some of my diy cable supplies.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #394 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 11:23:04 »
This sounds so fun... I'll try to make it to the next one.

That would be stellar if you could come to one!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #395 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 20:39:59 »
Thanks to a few people that have donated thus far! So very helpful  :-*

I am talking to a few people to get some giveaway items and maybe have some cool/prototype stuff to show off as well  :thumb:

We will have internet access as well, so we might be able to even set up some kind of live stream as well!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 11:53:46 »
What are the hotel plans? Is anyone going to drive in Friday night?
-Dana

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:13:52 »
I'm not 100% sure right now about the housing but I know Hoff and I are planning on driving out Friday morning from Cincinnati.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:20:30 »
I reallllly wish I could go to this T_T

Have fun all you lovely people.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:25:32 »
I reallllly wish I could go to this T_T

Have fun all you lovely people.

we wish you could come too <3