Author Topic: How many of the same stuff should I own as a collector?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline kolektador

How many of the same stuff should I own as a collector?
« on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 12:00:28 »
How many of the same stuff should I own as a collector? (for example my favourite model of computer keyboard)
The true endgame keyboard is not a perfect keyboard but a keyboard that makes you feel satisfied and at peace while using it  :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How many of the same stuff should I own as a collector?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 12:32:39 »
The most serious collectors think about the "percentage" of all such stuff that exists.

If you own 100% of SSK when there's only 1 SSK in existence is the same as owning 10000 out of 10000.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 12:44:57 »
How many of the same stuff should I own as a collector? (for example my favourite model of computer keyboard)

Not sure what you are looking for in an answer.  A collection is personal to the individual.  If you like the idea of having 10 of the same model of keyboard, then go for it.  If you think there's no need to have more than 1 of each, that's also the right choice for you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 15:57:38 »
A backup and a backup for the backup may be enough, at least it will buy you time to find a replacement backup.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 20:56:15 »
A backup and a backup for the backup may be enough, at least it will buy you time to find a replacement backup.
This is the way...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 23:53:31 »
If you are a true enjoyer of the thing - Only one open box item you can play with and enjoy, since you are not a loser poser or shelf collector trying to fill some empty meaningless void with consumerism because you are unhappy and an abject failure in other walks of life. Because you aren't that, right?

If you are wealthy true enjoyer of whatever thing, then one loose you can play with and enjoy, and one NIB you can keep minty or open when the other breaks.

People who collect just to put it on a shelf, or just to amass all of whatever, or never use/enjoy said item, or just want to flex on strangers online, can suck a fat dirty donkey **** in hell. You aint no collector, you are just another jonny-come-lately with money in your pocket who saw the cool kids having fun with what they love and decided to absorb someone else's hobby like some hobby Borg piece of **** driving the prices way up and detracting from the hobby you don't even really give a **** about anyway.

And people who get things graded and slabbed? There is a special level of Hell waiting just for your greedy ass when you die.

Just don't be a poser, and ensure you actually love, use, and enjoy the things you collect.

sorry, I get worked up about all the hobbies wealthy bored posers have pushed me out of over the years  :rolleyes:

Offline kolektador

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 01:02:44 »

If you are wealthy true enjoyer of whatever thing, then one loose you can play with and enjoy, and one NIB you can keep minty or open when the other breaks.

haha this is what I am thinking about when buying my favourite stuff (in this case the keyboard). Yes the other same model will be kept in a box in my house but only so that if the one I have now breaks then I would have a backup. I love this keyboard so much that I have 2 backups, which I think is enough to last my entire lifetime. They aren't for a personal museum ^-^
The true endgame keyboard is not a perfect keyboard but a keyboard that makes you feel satisfied and at peace while using it  :)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 01:42:51 »
I generally own one of each, apart from the ZKB-2, of which I indeed have a backup and a backup for that backup. It's simply too fine a board to ever be without.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 05:43:24 »
If you are a true enjoyer of the thing - Only one open box item you can play with and enjoy, since you are not a loser poser or shelf collector trying to fill some empty meaningless void with consumerism because you are unhappy and an abject failure in other walks of life. Because you aren't that, right?

People who collect just to put it on a shelf, or just to amass all of whatever, or never use/enjoy said item, or just want to flex on strangers online, can suck a fat dirty donkey **** in hell. You aint no collector, you are just another jonny-come-lately with money in your pocket who saw the cool kids having fun with what they love and decided to absorb someone else's hobby like some hobby Borg piece of **** driving the prices way up and detracting from the hobby you don't even really give a **** about anyway.

And people who get things graded and slabbed? There is a special level of Hell waiting just for your greedy ass when you die.

Just don't be a poser, and ensure you actually love, use, and enjoy the things you collect.

sorry, I get worked up about all the hobbies wealthy bored posers have pushed me out of over the years  :rolleyes:

Agree with this so much, even though I stopped buying retro games (emulation and didn't really want much else) I hate how one company made the hobby completely inaccessible for the average person through insider trading and hype building. A desire for profit literally ruins everything in this life.

People who flip things are some of my most hated people like can you not be greedy for 5 minutes and let someone who actually wants something to enjoy it without trying to take advantage of that you losers.
fjell | hhkb bt