Author Topic: 100 posts on gh...  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
100 posts on gh...
« on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 11:46:42 »
It now says that I have done 100 posts (I have a lot more because I post a lot in the off topic section but still). I know I probably shouldn't care about it but the number does look pretty nice on my profile. But I've been thinking about why I have been so active on gh, I made an account in like 2021 (I don't remember why or how I even found geekhack before I rediscovered it) and when I tried to sign up again I found out that I had already signed up. When I started to post again, I realized how much better forums like gh for communicating certain ideas and also fostering a great community.

I feel that there is some things that internet forums have that social media can never have, the feel of gh was unlike anything I had ever been on. I am really young compared to a lot of you, and I started using the internet just around the time where everyone was centralizing around 5 or so platforms. These platforms to me feel extremely lifeless now, and to me it was refreshing that there was a place dedicated is a specific to a single thing that I like. There's a charm to gh that I couldn't find anywhere on the more "mainstream" internet. I also feel that there is a greater sense of community here than anywhere on the mainstream platforms. I feel that there are very limited forms of community that can foster on these platforms. Maybe it's that gh is dedicated to a central thing, which you can't really get on platforms like twitter. Even on platforms that should be good for this like reddit/discord it's just not the same, maybe it's the size of the platforms I don't know. I would like other peoples input on this, because some of you most likely used forums way before the internet was in it's current form.

This is kinda incoherent but I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think it's more appropriate to talk to this about on here, cause I want to see what other people think about it (I don't think a single one of my friends use a forum like gh, we are all gen z after all and forums despite me really liking them are not very popular all things considered). And thanks for being a great and welcoming community and the main reason why I like gh a lot :)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: 100 posts on gh...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 12:13:05 »

I also feel that there is a greater sense of community here

As person who turned 71 last month I can say that this is the only type of place online that I feel comfortable in.

I have looked at Reddit, for example, numerous times and it simply seems unwelcoming and inscrutable to me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 13:28:07 »
With all the bots out there,  at least we're reasonably confident Fohat.dig is a hughmahn...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 16:43:26 »
With all the bots out there,  at least we're reasonably confident Fohat.dig is a hughmahn...
But is Tp4tssue?

There are days I wonder.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 17:13:39 »

But is Tp4tssue?

Surely the proportion of randomness and lack of consistent logic demonstrate that TP4 is of beastly origin.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 17:53:08 »
This is a good community of peeps

Sometimes I think because the community is so small and tight, new people are a bit intimidated. But they shouldn't be! All the drama has pretty much been bled out, and everyone is really nice and helpful. More new people would likely join if the post count guidelines were removed, I feel they hurt the community more than help.

Personally I don't build keyboards much anymore, but I still come here for off topic :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 18:09:46 »

Sometimes I think because the community is so small and tight, new people are a bit intimidated. But they shouldn't be! All the drama has pretty much been bled out, and everyone is really nice and helpful. More new people would likely join if the post count guidelines were removed, I feel they hurt the community more than help.

Personally I don't build keyboards much anymore, but I still come here for off topic :)

It has been Tp4's experience that while most hughmahns are extremely ignorant and filled with incorrect data-sets, they still respect life as a concept; what we perceive as faults in their demeanor or actions are merely the results of their limited agency and self-awareness rather than malice or evil.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 18:12:11 »
But is Tp4tssue?

There are days I wonder.

Tp4 = 100% hughmahn

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 18:57:24 »
It’ll be 200 before you know it, then 1000!

I’m still here and fairly active but I spend most of my time on Keebtalk.  For me its got the same vibes but less traffic.  Feels more like old GH to me (and more modern UI is nice).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 19:16:24 »

I’m still here and fairly active but I spend most of my time on Keebtalk.  For me its got the same vibes but less traffic.  Feels more like old GH to me (and more modern UI is nice).

What's the male/female ratio up @ dat keebtalk.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 19:59:46 »

What's the male/female ratio up @ dat keebtalk.

Like 3 girls to the rest of us dudes.  😂

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 20:08:16 »
Like 3 girls to the rest of us dudes.  😂

That does sound like Gekha indeed.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 01:10:24 »

I think the smaller community really helped me be more active, because less people are seeing your posts, and less people are posting in general which allowed me to interact more with the greater community which you can't on other platforms due to sheer size. I thought post guidelines were only for posting threads in the gb section and it was like 50 posts. I had no idea there were other gb posts.

Another thing that I feel with gh that I should have mentioned is that because gh discussion could never be done due to the like system and potential to make money that these social medias have, which may influence people to lie and shill for their benefit (it's still on geekhack but only with some posters on the IC and GB sections, which people will still give their honest thoughts most of the time)

I've still got a long way to go before I have every keyboard and artisan that I want (If I even get them) but even after I will still hang around cause the people are great here.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 06:36:51 »
I think the smaller community really helped me be more active

Humans are designed to operate in Villages of 40-200.

Our brains can not even keep track of many more people than that.

The larger one's peripheral society gets, the more life resembles vapid capitalism, and THAT is responsible for ALL of the world's problems.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 23:59:03 »
Humans are designed to operate in Villages of 40-200.

Our brains can not even keep track of many more people than that.

The larger one's peripheral society gets, the more life resembles vapid capitalism, and THAT is responsible for ALL of the world's problems.

I mean the expansion to mega cities in the grand scheme of things was really sudden and I don't think people had time to cope about the circumstances, no wonder a lot of people feel empty, lonely and worthless. It doesn't help that the worst people were tasked in designing a lot of these cities, which makes the conditions even worse in a lot of places like the United States.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 July 2023, 06:10:06 »
It doesn't help that the worst people were tasked in designing a lot of these cities, which makes the conditions even worse in a lot of places like the United States.

The main issue is our economic system only rewards short sighted gains, which we've known for 1000s of years is the equivalent of stupidity.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 July 2023, 07:17:07 »

the worst people were tasked

When you study the Founding Fathers and the writing of the Constitution, the topic that kept coming to the forefront was that our system depends on an engaged, well-informed electorate.

Those who profiteer from our dysfunction as a society have become highly adept at sowing apathy and discontent, along with promoting disinformation to a poorly-educated under-class to ensure that their minions keep getting elected to office.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2023, 08:25:39 by fohat.digs »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 July 2023, 08:54:00 »
sewing apathy and discontent

Apathy happens at every level.

Our own apathy causes us to look forward to the pleasure of the cultural meat meal, disregarding all of the best science at the moment we eat, which says animal agriculture is the primary driver of climate change..

This collective apathy powers up the wealth of the next rung and up.

It's not accurate to only blame those at the top.  It is Society's TOTAL short-sighted-ness which compounds and perpetuates the nightmare scenario we now live.

Apathy begins
in our most basic actions.

Meat, Cars, Narcotics(coffee, tobacco, marijuana, alcohol...)