Author Topic: What video games are you currently playing?  (Read 343814 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Re: What video games are you currently playing?
« Reply #1300 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 19:39:02 »
I broke down a got Skyrim: Special Edition. The enhanced textures are rather impressive and it has a built-in mods menu that's makes it super easy to **** up your experience  :thumb:
I bought the DVD on opening day in 2011 but never got farther than 20ish hours into it. It ain't no Daggerfall but it's part of the Elder Scrolls lore, so I have to play it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1301 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 15:00:32 »
Super Mario Wonder, despite all odds and everything I've disliked in the past, is actually a really great game. It is the level design and constant tweaks on mechanics it uses to actually build up the player's skill in each subsequent level that kept me playing. Very fun and creative level design.
The graphics are still uninspired dog****, like every other New Mario game where everything just looks like an asset the level designers grabbed out a file folder, and the price is absurd. But other than those factors, SMW is a lovingly crafted and creative game with fun and engaging mechanics and level design that will keep you wanting to see what the next level will throw at you.

I do hate those stupid positivity flowers that serve zero purpose other than to almost snidely cheer you on. That's some baby ****.

Should i buy it after i beat spider man 2 lol

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1302 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 15:15:35 »
Currently playing marvel's spider man 2 and having a blast

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #1303 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 01:30:53 »
I've been playing Dishonored recently. I bought this game on Steam a long time ago, but I haven't played it yet. :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1304 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 01:59:53 »
Just got into Darkest Dungeon. Digging the vibe and art style, decent writing as well.
It is a very difficult and frustrating game, but I keep coming back for more so there is certinally something to it.
A great Switch or Steam Deck title you can have running on the side while you do other stuff. Would recommend!

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #1305 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 07:46:58 »
I broke down a got Skyrim: Special Edition. The enhanced textures are rather impressive and it has a built-in mods menu that's makes it super easy to **** up your experience  :thumb:
I bought the DVD on opening day in 2011 but never got farther than 20ish hours into it. It ain't no Daggerfall but it's part of the Elder Scrolls lore, so I have to play it.

YES YES YES YES

seriously though don't use their dumb built-in mods, spend some time learning Mod Organizer 2 and it'll be worth your while. for your first play through i recommend just using the unofficial patch or one of those Essentials style modlists
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1306 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 12:16:13 »

YES YES YES YES

seriously though don't use their dumb built-in mods, spend some time learning Mod Organizer 2 and it'll be worth your while. for your first play through i recommend just using the unofficial patch or one of those Essentials style modlists

Imma say that the game is bad if it requires mods to make it at least playable

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1307 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 12:20:46 »

YES YES YES YES

fortunately, it doesnt
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1308 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 15:56:06 »

YES YES YES YES

That's like saying games that need patches are all garbage

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1309 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 13:41:16 »

YES YES YES YES

That's like saying games that need patches are all garbage

Not the same thing. Games that need patches are not all garbage, they just need to be fixed. But it isn't the responsibility of the community in order to make your game playable like the sims, skyrim, etc etc. That's your own fault.

Offline russeree

• Creator of NyanOS | Nyan Keys
« Reply #1310 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 19:44:47 »
I have been pretty hooked on this older release called VIM. It's kind of hard at first because the game itself isn't everything. You have to quit out then do things on the computer to figure out if you even beat the bosses. Then you go back in to make more progress. Pretty captivating overall
Nyan KeysMech keyboard
Nyan OSOperating System / Firmware

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1311 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 06:57:40 »
Did anybody see nominations at the game awards?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #1312 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 19:25:26 »
Did anybody see nominations at the game awards?

Yeah I did

Honestly the year was pretty stacked, But I think Baldur's Gate 3 will probably win. RE4 remake and AW2 seem like good contenders though.

Destiny 2 for community support is so stupid coming from the company that fired most of their community support like 2 weeks ago.

So many good games though, not sure if ever get through them all.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline SageCrowDesign

• Vendor
    • Sage Crow Design Deskmats
« Reply #1313 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 09:39:41 »
BG3 coop with my partner. Just wrapped up Death Stranding. I was skeptical at first, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience - would recommend!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #1314 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 11:21:48 »
BG3 coop with my partner. Just wrapped up Death Stranding. I was skeptical at first, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience - would recommend!

I cannot go through this one, too boring, running around with boxes and keep falling into black oily puddles with whales...what kind of fallout came up with this idea... oh yeah, Japanese guy, why I'm not surprised... ;)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1315 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 15:58:07 »

I cannot go through this one, too boring, running around with boxes and keep falling into black oily puddles with whales...what kind of fallout came up with this idea... oh yeah, Japanese guy, why I'm not surprised... ;)

They should make a prequel strand-type game where you play as a food delivery driver during a global pandemic or something.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1316 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 16:15:21 »
Got Spider-Man 2, and it's OK. It does look visually great, and runs smooth.
It does that new thing modern AAA games do that annoys me, where it acts like it is letting you play, but really you are just doing small micro-actions between smaller cutscenes that tie pivotal action moments together. I think we can all agree that FMVs during action and quicktime events suck ass, but now animations are so drawn out and intricate each action almost feels like a quicktime for how long everything takes.

Also, you cannot beat up random people on the street or destroy anything. Boring.

Offline phinix

« Reply #1317 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 16:25:49 »
I personally don't see any pleasure playing games like Spider-man, or even watching those movies, like that or Avengers. I cannot explain why but those movies are totally stupid for me.
I like Batman movies, but not a huge fan.
I think I'm just getting old :(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1318 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 19:19:39 »
I just wish there were more freedom. They could easily say, "It's not Spider-Man swinging citizens around in the streets, that is the player's choice." But no, with modern Marvel involved there will be no fun and freedom lest we tarnish the image of a fictional character in 3rd person. NO FUN FOR YOU! Open World is merely a suggestion these days. When you take the freedom away from the player it becomes just another linear game that takes forever to get from objective to objective because the map is so big.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2023, 19:22:04 by noisyturtle »

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1319 on: Fri, 01 December 2023, 11:33:06 »
I personally don't see any pleasure playing games like Spider-man, or even watching those movies, like that or Avengers. I cannot explain why but those movies are totally stupid for me.
I like Batman movies, but not a huge fan.
I think I'm just getting old :(

When you know the big bad will be defeated and the good guys win (even with a surprise casualty or two) ruins the suspense. That's why The Watchmen was such a unique take, if you were not familiar with the graphic novel, you weren't sure how it would go.

I am still playing OldSchool Runescape 10 years later and take breaks to play a few other titles. Mainly GTA5, RDR2, etc. More story driven games as I don't have an environment to play coop games at night given family.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1320 on: Mon, 04 December 2023, 18:04:01 »
Ghostwire Tokyo,

You buy stuff from this cat.

Exceptional atmosphere, weeb paradiso

304670-0

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1321 on: Wed, 20 December 2023, 08:05:52 »

it got too boring for me too fast back when i bought it but god DAMN is it phenomenal in terms of visuals  :-*

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #1322 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 04:40:01 »
marvel's spider man 2

Offline phinix

« Reply #1323 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 14:43:30 »
I've installed Gord, will try it over the Christmas period.

305082-0

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1324 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 07:42:44 »
I lost 768 hours of Forza Horizon 5 data (around 3 years, since the game released plus I had the highest edition and a few DLC) due to a cloud sync error (how does a company that big have such an awful way of handling user data?) and I am too salty to start all over again so I deleted the game completely and bought Gran Turismo 7 for my PS5 and it doesn't even compare. I could trick people into thinking that the replays and Scapes photos are real life (the graphics may not always look better but in Forza its super inconsistent and most of the time it just looks unpolished and like garbage, also it runs like dookie.) and the car selection is 100x better in my opinion. Also the soundtrack is way better and the races feel so much more intense. The small details and the little cut scenes and interactions for everything are so cool and theres so much information and educational content for each car and brand, the game even explains to you how the tire company Michelin came to be and all their achievements... never going back (until Horizon 6 comes out at least)

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1325 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 07:00:00 »
Bought the Night-Runners Demo/Prologue for $10. The game is awesome and I can already tell it's gonna change the racing game market when the full version is out. It's already better than Forza and it only has 1 playable car. What other game lets you directly change your car's CONTROL ARMS and FLOOR MATS? The graphics has visible influence from the games it references (Midnight Club, Juiced, etc) but updated to 2024 standards and it just looks amazing. The soundtrack is currently limited at what seems like 4 songs but they are all bangers and hit hard when you're doing 240 km/h in your Sannis Livisa 180RS (game's version of the Nissan Silvia 180SX).

Another cool thing is the gauges show on your screen in third person actually matching the gauges in your car, so the color and design and everything. Whatever aftermarket gauges you bolt onto your dashboard also show up in the same part with the faces matching.

Def gonna be no-life'ing this game for a while.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1326 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 13:20:33 »
Bought the Night-Runners Demo/Prologue for $10. The game is awesome and I can already tell it's gonna change the racing game market when the full version is out. It's already better than Forza and it only has 1 playable car. What other game lets you directly change your car's CONTROL ARMS and FLOOR MATS? The graphics has visible influence from the games it references (Midnight Club, Juiced, etc) but updated to 2024 standards and it just looks amazing. The soundtrack is currently limited at what seems like 4 songs but they are all bangers and hit hard when you're doing 240 km/h in your Sannis Livisa 180RS (game's version of the Nissan Silvia 180SX).

Another cool thing is the gauges show on your screen in third person actually matching the gauges in your car, so the color and design and everything. Whatever aftermarket gauges you bolt onto your dashboard also show up in the same part with the faces matching.

Is this more arcade than simulation? Looking at what I can find on youtube looks up my alley. I want a Sim-ish style racer (think Forza 4), open world, and car customization. I have literally no interest in driving these exotics that have taken over games like FH5.

I see it more and more where the car scene is shifting from building up what you love and everyone just lusts after stock super/hyper cars. These are engineer feats like no other and 99% of them sit in a garage and move less than a mile a year under their own power.

I want the car scene and games to focus back on grassroots. Even if you take street racing out to appease car manufactures, a story line like NFS Prostreet where the cars were cars you'd see down the street not trailered to a fancy car show. Let me start with a used stock 86, WRX, Civic, etc and put on coils/wheels/air intake, etc. Driving realistic speeds that the car would achieve, etc.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1327 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 06:43:30 »

Is this more arcade than simulation? Looking at what I can find on youtube looks up my alley. I want a Sim-ish style racer (think Forza 4), open world, and car customization. I have literally no interest in driving these exotics that have taken over games like FH5.

I see it more and more where the car scene is shifting from building up what you love and everyone just lusts after stock super/hyper cars. These are engineer feats like no other and 99% of them sit in a garage and move less than a mile a year under their own power.

I want the car scene and games to focus back on grassroots. Even if you take street racing out to appease car manufactures, a story line like NFS Prostreet where the cars were cars you'd see down the street not trailered to a fancy car show. Let me start with a used stock 86, WRX, Civic, etc and put on coils/wheels/air intake, etc. Driving realistic speeds that the car would achieve, etc.

I dunno if its considered arcade or sim, probably more arcade im guessing? it is open world in a skyrim kind of way where there are some sections cut off with loading screens but you can still roam around. map isn't even near its full size yet since its a demo.

customization is better than any other car game I've played by far. realistic speeds are definitely there as going 180 kmh feels like you're going pretty fast and there's not really anyone going over 160 mph for the beginning of the game but it still feels like ur zooming (because even driving 160 mph irl feels much more terrifying than video games portray lol)

the one exotic that I know WILL be in the game at full release is the Porsche 911 (or korshek or whatever the game's version is)

in the full version cars will be more exclusive (gas, price, maintenance etc) so you will definitely be able to build a relationship with whatever ****box you end up with rebuilding the engine and modifying it to whatever you like. like I said there is only one car right now (well there are 2, the 180SX and the 200SX but they are nearly the same) but the AI drivers have different cars like a Chaser, GT-R etc so its not like you'll get bored of the AI cars too quickly

I personally started with a car that had an oil leak and like 280k km on it, now I'm up to over 500 horsepower and a fully customized interior with custom gauges, wheel, seats, roll cage, big ass turbocharger and underglow + full custom aero kit
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2024, 06:45:14 by mohawk1367 »

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1328 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 09:13:17 »

I dunno if its considered arcade or sim, probably more arcade im guessing? it is open world in a skyrim kind of way where there are some sections cut off with loading screens but you can still roam around. map isn't even near its full size yet since its a demo.

customization is better than any other car game I've played by far. realistic speeds are definitely there as going 180 kmh feels like you're going pretty fast and there's not really anyone going over 160 mph for the beginning of the game but it still feels like ur zooming (because even driving 160 mph irl feels much more terrifying than video games portray lol)

the one exotic that I know WILL be in the game at full release is the Porsche 911 (or korshek or whatever the game's version is)

in the full version cars will be more exclusive (gas, price, maintenance etc) so you will definitely be able to build a relationship with whatever ****box you end up with rebuilding the engine and modifying it to whatever you like. like I said there is only one car right now (well there are 2, the 180SX and the 200SX but they are nearly the same) but the AI drivers have different cars like a Chaser, GT-R etc so its not like you'll get bored of the AI cars too quickly

I personally started with a car that had an oil leak and like 280k km on it, now I'm up to over 500 horsepower and a fully customized interior with custom gauges, wheel, seats, roll cage, big ass turbocharger and underglow + full custom aero kit
[/quote]

I watched a vid on youtube and the player was rammed in the rear by the Porsche with no damage or impact physics so I also assume more arcade, which can still be fun. You really do get a sense of speed too. The gauges get a bit blurry, etc. I love the idea of maintenance, etc. I'll have to keep tabs on this game. Looks promising.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1329 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 09:57:36 »

I watched a vid on youtube and the player was rammed in the rear by the Porsche with no damage or impact physics so I also assume more arcade, which can still be fun. You really do get a sense of speed too. The gauges get a bit blurry, etc. I love the idea of maintenance, etc. I'll have to keep tabs on this game. Looks promising.
[/quote]

oh yeah you crash at full speed and there's not even a scratch, since they're going for realistic maintenance and stuff in the future i assume this is a temporary thing

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1330 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 10:31:21 »
oh yeah you crash at full speed and there's not even a scratch, since they're going for realistic maintenance and stuff in the future i assume this is a temporary thing

Please give me an S15 Silvia and a GC Impreza coupe and you got a deal.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1331 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 11:17:45 »

Please give me an S15 Silvia and a GC Impreza coupe and you got a deal.

S15 is planned, already used by some AI racers. idk bout the impreza

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1332 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 08:30:00 »
One can not emphasize enough how terrible mechanical keyboards are for playing supermeatboy.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1333 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 08:39:07 »
this kind of setup makes me wanna get super into sim racing

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1335 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 16:50:53 »

This looks stressful.

Show Image

Not as stressfull as paying for all that hear...
You could buy a cheap fun (real)  car for less.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1336 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 07:34:06 »

This looks stressful.

Show Image

not these days

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1337 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 12:42:47 »

[/quote]

not these days
[/quote]

Too true. There are very little "drivers" cars that can be had for under 10k and even less if you don't want a true project. The days spending several thousand for a sporty car with 250+HP are gone.

Offline 87supra

« Reply #1338 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 19:41:35 »
Been grinding Nova Drift

306163-0
Ryzen 7 5800x | Zotac RTX 3080 10GB | 16GB RAM | 512MB NVMe | 1TB SSD | 4TB internal mec | 21 TB external | MSI MAG 32 2k 144
Bosgame 7735hs | 512 NVMe | 2TB SSD | 2.5 TB external
ASUS ROG G15 | 6800H | RTX3060
SMSL AO200 | Matrix Mini balanced | Klipsch RP 600M ii

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1339 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 20:43:42 »

not these days
[/quote]
Too true. There are very little "drivers" cars that can be had for under 10k and even less if you don't want a true project. The days spending several thousand for a sporty car with 250+HP are gone.
[/quote]
I think you under-estimate what this rig consists of and costs (see below), 10k will get you the computer and a few other bits but there's several grand in the sim rig.

First off, you don't need 250+ hp to have a seriously fun car.

Slow car fast.
Do you want to have fun at the track only or have fun all the time? Lower power lets you run through the gears on most streets and on ramps without really breaking the speed limit (or by much). It's a ton of fun on the street street or track because you're working the car for all it's worth, the car isn't doing everything for you. On the other hand, most high powered cars (Corvette/Ferrari/Lambo/McClaren/911)  is absolutely boring as heck at anything below "go directly to jail" speeds (or at risk of taking out pedestrians) and if you do take those to the track you're going to see most of them getting lapped by the cars I just mentioned. Why? It's too much car for most people, especially without training even on a track. Corvette has the lowest insurance for high performance cars, why? Because they rarely are driven fast and at normal speeds the car isn't even trying, these days even a Camry is boring at city speeds with more than enough power to get you into trouble. This was the whole concept behind the Toyota Subaru mashup, not a ton of power, but a small fun to drive car.

As someone who's been in a street/track prepped Miata, they're anything but slow or boring especially on the street or in trained hands. SCCA racers (Sports Car Club of America) were well known to drive early (new style) Minis when not racing because of the handling, most owned a Miata at some point as well (Mini was more practical). Go look at SCORE (Baja 1000, Mint, etc), they have a stock VW (vintage) bug class and those guys have an absolute blast racing (I use the term loosely) through the desert.  There's also Lemons racing and a few spinoffs where the car has to be under X amount of dollars, usually a few grand and the whole point is to have fun with cheap cars.

As for some being projects...
Every hobby is a project and while you can get many of these in pretty good condition for a decent price if you're going to do seriously hard driving (track time or not), pretty much ALL cars become projects. You're going to destroy tires, brakes, driveshafts, hit things, spin out, maybe wind up in a ditch and probably want more power/brakes/handling/traction/lighting/body kits, etc...

I'll give you that once purchased the computer is cheap to maintain and you can drive (almost) anywhere(?), but it too suffers the same fate, you're going to want bigger screens, faster CPU/GPU, newer games, updated pedals/wheel, keyboard, etc... It's not just a one and done either but it isn't a complete experience either, you're holed up in a room, not actually moving, not interacting with people face to face and not actually interacting with your surroundings and nature. You can sim drive the Tail of the Dragon as fast as you want (and not get a ticket!) but you didn't actually drive tail of the Dragon did you? You can sim drive Laguna Seca, but you didn't actually drive Laguna Seca did you. You never even left your room. To each their own, I'm not knocking the guy, just saying go touch grass.

Any 3 series BMW, late 90's or 2000's would be your best bet, maybe a Z3. Mazda Miata, Mini, Dodge Charger/Challenger (look out for under serviced engines), Ford Mustang (look out for pedestrians), Chevy Camaro. All of these can be had in decent shape for well under 10k and easily sourced. You can occasionally even find a nice though high mileage S2000 in this range. Some have well over 250hp some do not, some will kill you on insurance (Dodge), some are reliable (Miata), some literally eat parts (BMW) but all are known to be a lot of fun.

The sim rig.
t=0s
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1340 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 21:12:27 »
Some of my favorite cars of all-time are just small, light, and low to the ground, which makes them feel fast. It's all about that tight handling.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #1341 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 13:38:05 »
First off, you don't need 250+ hp to have a seriously fun car.

- Agreed. You have to create your own fun. Living in the Midwest means I don't get windy roads nor canyons to play in so a lower HP, but great handling car doesn't have many places to shine. The only way to play with a cars performance is in the occasional roundabout or merging onto the off ramp/backroad.

Slow car fast.
Do you want to have fun at the track only or have fun all the time? Lower power lets you run through the gears on most streets and on ramps without really breaking the speed limit (or by much). It's a ton of fun on the street street or track because you're working the car for all it's worth, the car isn't doing everything for you. On the other hand, most high powered cars (Corvette/Ferrari/Lambo/McClaren/911)  is absolutely boring as heck at anything below "go directly to jail" speeds (or at risk of taking out pedestrians) and if you do take those to the track you're going to see most of them getting lapped by the cars I just mentioned. Why? It's too much car for most people, especially without training even on a track. Corvette has the lowest insurance for high performance cars, why? Because they rarely are driven fast and at normal speeds the car isn't even trying, these days even a Camry is boring at city speeds with more than enough power to get you into trouble. This was the whole concept behind the Toyota Subaru mashup, not a ton of power, but a small fun to drive car.

-The cheapest BRZ I can find on CarGurus starts at 12k, but would be a solid platform. BRZs have such a cult tax associated with them. I fear they will be in the same vein as S2k, 240x, etc cars that just command a price because of what they "could be" vs what they are.

As someone who's been in a street/track prepped Miata, they're anything but slow or boring especially on the street or in trained hands. SCCA racers (Sports Car Club of America) were well known to drive early (new style) Minis when not racing because of the handling, most owned a Miata at some point as well (Mini was more practical). Go look at SCORE (Baja 1000, Mint, etc), they have a stock VW (vintage) bug class and those guys have an absolute blast racing (I use the term loosely) through the desert.  There's also Lemons racing and a few spinoffs where the car has to be under X amount of dollars, usually a few grand and the whole point is to have fun with cheap cars.

- The Miata is a track weapon, but not something that can be a every season driver in the great white north, doubly so as a parent. (NC Miata is best Miata IMO)

As for some being projects...
Every hobby is a project and while you can get many of these in pretty good condition for a decent price if you're going to do seriously hard driving (track time or not), pretty much ALL cars become projects. You're going to destroy tires, brakes, driveshafts, hit things, spin out, maybe wind up in a ditch and probably want more power/brakes/handling/traction/lighting/body kits, etc...

This is under the assumption of racing. Living in the midwest there are limited racing options. Dirt track being the most common and accessible, but there is a drift series that runs not too far away, but that's a whole other can of worms. I was speaking more in the term of a project car being the Sunday driver, nice weather car. Growing up I had a buddy whose dad had a Chevelle they bought in their late teens and has kept it to this day and only drives it when it's nice. Half the year we are covered in a mix of salt, sand, and ice so any vehicle driven during those 6 months are being sacrificed to the rust gods.

I'll give you that once purchased the computer is cheap to maintain and you can drive (almost) anywhere(?), but it too suffers the same fate, you're going to want bigger screens, faster CPU/GPU, newer games, updated pedals/wheel, keyboard, etc... It's not just a one and done either but it isn't a complete experience either, you're holed up in a room, not actually moving, not interacting with people face to face and not actually interacting with your surroundings and nature. You can sim drive the Tail of the Dragon as fast as you want (and not get a ticket!) but you didn't actually drive tail of the Dragon did you? You can sim drive Laguna Seca, but you didn't actually drive Laguna Seca did you. You never even left your room. To each their own, I'm not knocking the guy, just saying go touch grass.

-Very good point. I have looked a few times into getting into VR sim racing and my conclusion was I need around $1,000+ in sim racing hardware, another grand in VR, and more on how deep do you want to go. I use my desk for work so I cannot permanently leave my rig in place, unless I got cockpit, which then adds to the cost and footprint in my home. For that price I can put that money into my IRL car to enjoy it more (looking at you downpipe and a tune).

Any 3 series BMW, late 90's or 2000's would be your best bet, maybe a Z3. Mazda Miata, Mini, Dodge Charger/Challenger (look out for under serviced engines), Ford Mustang (look out for pedestrians), Chevy Camaro. All of these can be had in decent shape for well under 10k and easily sourced. You can occasionally even find a nice though high mileage S2000 in this range. Some have well over 250hp some do not, some will kill you on insurance (Dodge), some are reliable (Miata), some literally eat parts (BMW) but all are known to be a lot of fun.

-I was at one point looking at Z3s because there are like 3-4 2 seat coupes that are attainable for most people (Miata, Z3, MR2, and maybe a Boxter. I could be missing some). The only other car that catches my eye is a post facelift SN95 Mustang because that is one of the best looking cars ever. When I was looking for something fun with 4 doors (kids) and AWD (cuz snow), I was looking at Bajas, but that's another car that has a cult tax and decent examples start over 10k for a auto/turbo and if you can find a manual turbo you can expect closer to 15k unless it has mega miles

We are sadly in a much different era of project car than we were 5-10 years ago. I remember in 2015-2016 looking at stateside, imported R32 GTRs for 16-20k. Now you can't even look at an R32 GTR for under 30 and most are closer to 35. Hell, I looked into getting a GTST and doing an LS swap and those went from 10k to closer to 20k.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1342 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 19:12:32 »
Agreed. You have to create your own fun. Living in the Midwest means I don't get windy roads nor canyons to play in so a lower HP, but great handling car doesn't have many places to shine. The only way to play with a cars performance is in the occasional roundabout or merging onto the off ramp/backroad.

I was in the midwest and was going through a set of tires every 3rd or 4th oil change... I literally drove the wheels (and wheel bearings) off my BMW.
Just gotta find those hidden gems, I used to scour Google maps to find them.

The Miata is a track weapon, but not something that can be a every season driver in the great white north, doubly so as a parent. (NC Miata is best Miata IMO)
They make hard tops and they now have hard top convertible models.

Though you should know,  a lot of light, well balanced cars are freaking scary in the snow. While late 80's/early 90's BMW 3 series are well known for being really easy to drive on the edge they're equally well known among owners for trying to kill you in ice/snow.

Half the year we are covered in a mix of salt, sand, and ice so any vehicle driven during those 6 months are being sacrificed to the rust gods.
Just part of why I left the midwest.

I was at one point looking at Z3s because there are like 3-4 2 seat coupes that are attainable for most people (Miata, Z3, MR2, and maybe a Boxter. I could be missing some). The only other car that catches my eye is a post facelift SN95 Mustang because that is one of the best looking cars ever. When I was looking for something fun with 4 doors (kids) and AWD (cuz snow), I was looking at Bajas, but that's another car that has a cult tax and decent examples start over 10k for a auto/turbo and if you can find a manual turbo you can expect closer to 15k unless it has mega miles
Honestly, I HATED my Subie.
Granted, I never did the suspension, too disappointed to bother, the handling feel was dead as could be, I literally almost slid off the road before I realized the front end lost traction in a corner and that ended any desire to bond with the car. And then it blew a head gasket, and then it did it again and took out the engine... Bye Bye. If I have to dump thousands just to make it sort of lively I'd rather just start with something else.

BTW, In a place with limited corners, an AWD car is going to make the problem worse, not better.

We are sadly in a much different era of project car than we were 5-10 years ago. I remember in 2015-2016 looking at stateside, imported R32 GTRs for 16-20k. Now you can't even look at an R32 GTR for under 30 and most are closer to 35. Hell, I looked into getting a GTST and doing an LS swap and those went from 10k to closer to 20k.
When Covid drove up new car prices it also drove up used, which also drove up classic prices.
It's starting to come down again, it will probably never go back to what it was (the same happened with Cash for Clunkers), but it should come back down quite a bit for most cars.

By my estimate it'll probably take another 3-7 years to get back to where it should be, barring any major economic changes.

If you're willing to swap, look into RX-8's, you can find them with blown engines for cheap.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1343 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 06:39:44 »

not these days
[/quote]

[/quote]

you google "fun cars under $5000" and there's articles from 2014 talking about miatas, s13s, civics etc... you cant even get a car that drives for under $6000 these days most of the time

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1344 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 21:03:42 »
you google "fun cars under $5000" and there's articles from 2014 talking about miatas, s13s, civics etc... you cant even get a car that drives for under $6000 these days most of the time
Sure you can.
Look up S10 Blazers, old Camrys, Hyundais, etc..
Like I said, same happened during Cash for Clunkers, it will take a few years for things to return to cool down but it will happen. This sort of thing usually takes about 5-10 years to return to where it should be... And then you have 5-10 years before it spikes again... Now is just not the time to buy if you can help it.

Even in 2014 all of those were starting to go up fast, when magazines run those articles you pretty much need to be buying them within a few months before everyone else does and spikes the price. They usually do those because they are seeing a trend and already seeing prices rise.

BTW, early Miatas are a special case, while they made a ton and they were cheap, the Spec Miata race series burned through them at an insane rate and those they didn't wreck, people doing engine swaps and such did a number on them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #1345 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 00:34:46 »
Currently addicted to helldivers 2. Cannot stop playing. It's like a drug. When i go to sleep, i dream of helldivers. When I'm at work, I daydream of helldivers. When I am commuting, I think of helldivers. Help.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1346 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 06:50:27 »
New night-runners update!!! They added a bunch of new wheels including SSR Minerva and Work Euroline. Can't wait to put those on my Chaser when it's made playable  ;D

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #1347 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 07:05:20 »
Gonna do a Fallout 4 playthrough with Life in the Ruins modlist, never actually finished the game.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #1348 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 09:18:55 »
Started up Bugsnax. So far it's fantastic. A blend of childlike imagination and creative puzzle solving to capture these Bugsnax. It gives the same vibes as Viva Pinata and I am glad to have found a creature collection game that isn't about enslaving them to fight...thought they are eaten by the residents.

Bugsnax is really good actually, starting playing for a meme (because it does look kinda dumb) and then thoroughly enjoyed myself.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1349 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:41:05 »
Gonna do a Fallout 4 playthrough with Life in the Ruins modlist, never actually finished the game.
Golden rule of the wasteland...
"Thou shalt get sidetracked by bullsh*t every goddamn time."

Took me a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to finish Fallout 4 for that reason, the main story is so meh that after a while I forgot there was an actual main quest to complete until I got bored and came back to it. It's actually a rug-pull and you have to get over that hump but the end is actually pretty good and there's multiple way s to finish it, it's just that they failed to make you really bond with the family and make you chase it. An alternate point of view though is that the real point of Fallout 4 is the side quests, not the main story, which kind of makes sense in a way.

I'd also recommend getting Nuka World and Far Harbor expansions. Many prefer Far Harbor but I really like Nuke a World.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More