Author Topic: Would you buy this ?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Would you buy this ?
« on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 05:25:02 »
Special Edition,   busted 10nm, 3 year delay on 7nm,   BUhhh AVENGARRZ..??

249575-0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Would you buy this ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 06:31:19 »
Eh... no.

What are they thinking with those boxes.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 07:00:08 »
Not the Avengers box but already bought an Intel 10th gen processor for a gaming system :P

The nm race doesn't matter to me when currently the latest Intel outperforms AMD in gaming perf for the same price tier I was looking at (i5-10600K). For other loads though AMD is very good and would be a better option, though from temps I've seen they're still hotter than the Intel for the case I'm getting (which is ironic since I see memes about AMD being cooler, perhaps true in some cases).

Late update: turns out the Intel being hotter this gen memes are a result of motherboard makers applying OC voltages out of the box, which they call 'Multi-Core Enhancement' (MCE). The linked video goes in-depth in benchmarks and we see in some cases a 27C CPU temp difference between boards alone! Outrageous that board makers got away with this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2020, 05:24:30 by Coreda »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 07:02:19 »
Which one on the box is John Steed and which one is Emma Peel? They don't look like they used to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 10:24:05 »
Not the Avengers box but already bought an Intel 10th gen processor for a gaming system :P

The nm race doesn't matter to me when currently the latest Intel outperforms AMD in gaming perf for the same price tier I was looking at (i5-10600K). For other loads though AMD is very good and would be a better option, though from temps I've seen they're still hotter than the Intel for the case I'm getting (which is ironic since I see memes about AMD being cooler, perhaps true in some cases).

Rumor is amd's goin to 4.8ghz, that might blow intel out of the water.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:12:07 »
I guess running advertisments on their box is one way to lower the costs.

Hahaha, like Intel would pass the savings to you.
This just helps them sink more slowly.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:15:14 »
I guess running advertisments on their box is one way to lower the costs.

Bingo. I find this to be a desperate turn off.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:16:17 »
Because i only have 1500 bucks no

Offline Coreda

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 00:17:33 »
Rumor is amd's goin to 4.8ghz, that might blow intel out of the water.

If they manage to that's great. That said AMD has said they'll only be supporting their current socket up to 2021, so whether I buy Intel or AMD currently I'd essentially have one extra gen/inter-gen processor upgrade possible with the board chosen.

Also regarding PCIe 3 v 4, the area where AMD has an on-paper advantage for this use case, so far nothing has really taken advantage of the bandwidth afforded unless we count the bleeding edge and pricey NVMe SSDs @ 5Gbps of sequential/non-random reads as something (Unreal Engine 5 which touted benefits of these max speeds with the PS5's implementation won't be even seen in major games until a couple years and its unclear how it'll take advantage of this on PC drives given random read speeds on virtually any NVMe drive are nowhere near that).

However the one thing we've yet to see is whether in the latest crop of Nvidia and AMD GPUs we'll see a benefit from the PCIe 4 perf with current games (though even in the highest end cards PCIe 3 isn't currently maxed, bandwidth-wise) and if so whether with Intel's CPU side perf lead nevertheless makes up for such differences. We'll see soon, obviously.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 August 2020, 00:19:49 by Coreda »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 02:21:33 »
If they manage to that's great. That said AMD has said they'll only be supporting their current socket up to 2021, so whether I buy Intel or AMD currently I'd essentially have one extra gen/inter-gen processor upgrade possible with the board chosen.

Also regarding PCIe 3 v 4, the area where AMD has an on-paper advantage for this use case, so far nothing has really taken advantage of the bandwidth afforded unless we count the bleeding edge and pricey NVMe SSDs
Not true with the AMD boards, once this gen ends, they plan to offer lower end Durons that will still be an upgrade for you later. So it's not dead end, it just moves down a product stack. I think they expect to support that for several years (expect 3-4).

Unless Nvidia pulls out something that jumps a generation (unlikely), PCIE Gen4 is no benefit for at least another 2 years and even then gen3 will only bottleneck on the highest end stuff. If you're on that train, buying a new board and cpu is probably not a big deal anyhow.

As for the drives, unless you have one heck of a CPU, it's only a very few situations where gen 4 is better than gen 3. Unless you're doing something almost exclusively drive related, like copying files, there's going to be little difference between these super fast gen 4 compared to a super fast gen 3. More importantly, it's often not a bandwidth issue that bottlenecks my gen 3 it's the amount of I/O requests it can manage.

More cpu cores make it easier to do this, but you still need things actually making requests, a copy operation will use bandwidth, but not so much I/O. Where I manage to really push the drive on I/O is opening 4 virtual machines (VM) and tell all of them to update at the same time. It wasn't a lot of data coming in but it was coming from a lot of sources going to a lot of places. Doing this brought data access on my main system down to slow ssd levels, not terrible but not snappy like normal.

Basically buy a good Gen3, don't worry about gen 4 for now.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion