Author Topic: Grinding teeth.  (Read 5757 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
Grinding teeth.
« on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 10:53:35 »
Anyone else grind their teeth? Pretty sure it's cos of caffeine but I can't kick coffee. I managed for like a month or so a while back, but couldn't stick to it. Just ended up necking Coke instead.

If anyone has any tips on stopping teeth grinding and/or quitting caffeine I'm all ears. I'm gonna be ground to the gums if I carry on like this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Grinding teeth.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 10:59:13 »
Try behavioral modification therapy.

You don't need to book an expensive psych ..

So you stay vigilant,  and try to catch yourself grinding your teeth, and when you crave Coffee

When either event happens..   Just slap your both your thighs as hard as you possibly can..

You have to be very watchful, and make sure to do this consistently..

After you've hit yourself,  close your eyes, visualize and think about WHY this just happened,  the cause (teeth grinding or coffee craving), the effect (pain).

Build that association strongly in your mind..   it's a mental correction as much as it is physical.

They have the rubber band on the wrist for smokers,  but that doesn't work for most people.. NOT ENOUGH pain..  the consequence is too light.

I wouldn't recommend shock therapy unless it's an extremely detrimental habit that you're trying to change.

Be careful, don't do this while you're driving,  it's the only exception..  but make sure to do it right after you get out of the car.. and again, Visualize and think about cause and effect..

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 11:05:47 »

So you stay vigilant,  and try to catch yourself grinding your teeth, and when you crave Coffee

When either event happens..   Just slap your both your thighs as hard as you possibly can..

After you've hit yourself,  close your eyes, visualize and think about WHY this just happened,  the cause (teeth grinding or coffee craving), the effect (pain).

Build that association strongly in your mind..

I can't sit at work slapping my thighs all day. Maybe something like pinching the skin on the back of my hand could work. Thing is, my teeth grind all afternoon and into the evening, or at least my jaw is clenched. It's constant. Probably need to try ditching coffee again, but it's so hard. I've given up drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and consuming dairy over the past 2 or 3 years but can't stop with the caffeine...

Have you actually used your recommended technique to give correct any of your behaviours?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 11:11:21 »

I can't sit at work slapping my thighs all day. Maybe something like pinching the skin on the back of my hand could work. Thing is, my teeth grind all afternoon and into the evening, or at least my jaw is clenched. It's constant. Probably need to try ditching coffee again, but it's so hard. I've given up drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and consuming dairy over the past 2 or 3 years but can't stop with the caffeine...

Hrrmmm , it seems you've got a very strong attachment to Drugs-lite..

Instead of thigh slapping..  maybe do some dumbbell curls.. or pushups..     You have to do it till exhaustion..

It could really be anything, but the severity has to be enough that it creates a strong aversion proportional to your unchecked desires.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 14:16:21 »

Instead of thigh slapping..  maybe do some dumbbell curls.. or pushups..     You have to do it till exhaustion..

It could really be anything, but the severity has to be enough that it creates a strong aversion proportional to your unchecked desires.

I have to do it in an office with other people in as well. I need to maintain at least some semblance of sanity.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 14:23:19 »

I have to do it in an office with other people in as well. I need to maintain at least some semblance of sanity.

https://buy.pavlok.com/

This came up on google.

You can probably diy one with an arduino.. hahahaha

I honestly don't think this iteration would deliver enough pain, because I've been shocked by those fun cam caps before, this isn't even close to that.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 00:34:35 »
get bite guard

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 07:28:45 »

https://buy.pavlok.com/

This came up on google.

You can probably diy one with an arduino.. hahahaha

I honestly don't think this iteration would deliver enough pain, because I've been shocked by those fun cam caps before, this isn't even close to that.

That's hilarious.  Anyway, I've made it to 13:30 on two decaff coffees. Maybe this isn't gonna be too hard. Bit of a headache. Definite cravings. But bearable. Luckily haven't got much work on...

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 08:07:55 »
get bite guard

I have one but only use it at night during sleep, so not sure if its for your case. Grind my teeth hard at night. My dentist were concerned that i'll grind my teeth away to a point it breaks. Have already holes on them due to grinding. Even my guards now have deep scratches.

She mentioned that its most likely due to stress.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 08:36:55 »
get bite guard

I have one but only use it at night during sleep, so not sure if its for your case. Grind my teeth hard at night. My dentist were concerned that i'll grind my teeth away to a point it breaks. Have already holes on them due to grinding. Even my guards now have deep scratches.

I might get one for the evening/night-time. Stress is almost certainly a contributing factor for me but jaw clenching definitely increases with coffee intake throughout the day so I'm hoping quitting will do enough to save my teeth. I can't see myself eliminating stress anytime soon.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 09:27:13 »
get bite guard

My wife has one as well that she uses at night because that was when it was at it's worst.
She's started doing it during the day as well though. I don't really understand why because she's reduced her stress.
I'm worried she's going to destroy what little teeth she has left.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 11:43:22 »
It's 17:30 and I have a splitting headache and I'm barely managing to stay awake. Half an hour of work and a 45min bike ride to survive before I can curl up at home.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:51:48 »
My ex was grinding her teeth really badly. Turned out it wasn't stress related it was to do with jaw shape you inherit. Going to grind your teeth falling asleep and waking up. 

Get a mouth guard for at night. Dentist can make up a molded one. During the day chewing gum perhaps?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:53:47 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 19:09:42 »
Just super glue cyanide capsules to your molars and you'll make a conscious effort to not grind your teeth.

You're welcome.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 19:12:59 »
Just super glue cyanide capsules to your molars and you'll make a conscious effort to not grind your teeth.

You're welcome.

OR cesium..

Offline sysfury

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 19:16:16 »
I had Botox injected in my masseter muscles. Look it up. It helped me tremendously.

Offline atarione

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 21:39:15 »
basically you need to see the dentist and get a night guard... if you grind during the day while you are awake you just need to be aware of it and stop doing it when it starts happening..

I'm in my 40s now and I have had to have a night guard since I was in my early 20s because of the night grinding... I'm not aware of anyway to stop it ..only to manage it with the night guard..

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 05:38:01 »
I had Botox injected in my masseter muscles. Look it up. It helped me tremendously.

I looked it up. Seems a little extreme to me, and also apparently isn't approved in the UK. Good that it works for you though, obviously. I also read something about it deteriorating your jawbone density, making it more prone to fracture and teeth falling out, but no idea how reliable the source was there cos I was just skimming.

basically you need to see the dentist and get a night guard... if you grind during the day while you are awake you just need to be aware of it and stop doing it when it starts happening..

I'm in my 40s now and I have had to have a night guard since I was in my early 20s because of the night grinding... I'm not aware of anyway to stop it ..only to manage it with the night guard..

I'm not sure I even do it in my sleep to be honest, but I certainly do it in the evening. I'm gonna see how effective dropping coffee is and go the mouthguard route if still necessary in a couple of weeks. So far (one day in) I can feel a marked difference so my hopes are pretty high atm.  Still have a headache though. And feel totally knackered.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 07:21:19 »

I'm not sure I even do it in my sleep to be honest, but I certainly do it in the evening. I'm gonna see how effective dropping coffee is and go the mouthguard route if still necessary in a couple of weeks. So far (one day in) I can feel a marked difference so my hopes are pretty high atm.  Still have a headache though. And feel totally knackered.

Do you haz a moment to talk about  Plant-based diet ?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 07:44:59 »

Do you haz a moment to talk about  Plant-based diet ?

(Attachment Link)

Can I haz beenburger?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 07:48:28 »
I had a teeth grinding problem.

Turned out to be all the ****ing ecstasy I was downing every weekend.

Stopped taking the pingas and the teeth grinding stopped. But I didn't stop taking pingas to stop the teeth grinding.

That was like 15 years ago now..... I miss pingas

The end.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:00:39 »

Stopped taking the pingas and the teeth grinding stopped. But I didn't stop taking pingas to stop the teeth grinding.

The end.

Hrrrrrmm.. I have heard many years ago from a female in college about her jaws locking after having tried ecstasy at a rave. 

So it's probably in the symptom chain somewhere.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:30:00 »

The end.

Hrrrrrmm.. I have heard many years ago from a female in college about her jaws locking after having tried ecstasy at a rave. 

So it's probably in the symptom chain somewhere.

Yeah, years of gurning for me too, but never affected the day to day clench of my jaw.  This is a relatively recent phenomenon for me.

TP4, for your edification:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 17:38:51 »

Yeah, years of gurning for me too, but never affected the day to day clench of my jaw.  This is a relatively recent phenomenon for me.

Yea alot of disorders don't fully develop noticeable symptoms for years and years.

Maybe you have a prion disease like mad cow from having eaten UK's tainted beef..   We just don't know.. incubation period could be decades

Not trying to stress you out..  but above the more obvious lifestyle improvements, at least consider reading up on the data behind veggie life..

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 17:39:42 »
i hear a mouth guard works
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 01:49:49 »

Yea alot of disorders don't fully develop noticeable symptoms for years and years.

Maybe you have a prion disease like mad cow from having eaten UK's tainted beef..   We just don't know.. incubation period could be decades

Not trying to stress you out..  but above the more obvious lifestyle improvements, at least consider reading up on the data behind veggie life..

I don't eat meat and dairy. Also, no coffee for two days seems to have helped immensely.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 09:46:03 »
Well I've managed to switch to decaff since last Tuesday. Seems like it's helped with the jaw clenching, though I'm still grinding a bit. Had headaches all last week but they seem to have stopped now. Have managed to get to sleep about 1 or 2 hours earlier than usual every night, which I suppose has helped me deal with having no coffee in the morning.

Think I might get a mouthguard to wear in the evening. I dunno. I tend to tap out songs on my teeth, I mean clacking my teeth together like teeth drums... I don't think I can stop it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 17:06:15 »

Build that association strongly in your mind..   it's a mental correction as much as it is physical.

They have the rubber band on the wrist for smokers,  but that doesn't work for most people.. NOT ENOUGH pain..  the consequence is too light.

I wouldn't recommend shock therapy unless it's an extremely detrimental habit that you're trying to change.

Be careful, don't do this while you're driving,  it's the only exception..  but make sure to do it right after you get out of the car.. and again, Visualize and think about cause and effect..

LOL

This is probably the most medically-sound and professional advice I've ever read. Thanks Dr. TP!!

Offline yuppie

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:05:19 »
I was told that I grind in my sleep, from stress. Dentist wanted to sell me a $600 mouth guard. I bought a keyboard instead. I'd rather type than talk...
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 19:35:51 »
I was told that I grind in my sleep, from stress. Dentist wanted to sell me a $600 mouth guard. I bought a keyboard instead. I'd rather type than talk...

You made the right decision, teeth are temporary but typing is forever

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 04:08:56 »

You made the right decision, teeth are temporary but typing is forever

You're gonna end up buying new caps for both eventually though.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 05:16:05 »
My ex was grinding her teeth really badly. Turned out it wasn't stress related it was to do with jaw shape you inherit. Going to grind your teeth falling asleep and waking up. 

Get a mouth guard for at night. Dentist can make up a molded one. During the day chewing gum perhaps?

same thing what my dentist told me. mine's jaw related too. well, not really the "jaw" but TMJ  http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/temporomandibular-disorders-tmd#1

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 05:38:46 »
im a presser, dentist gave me a bite rail. She says its related to stress and i need to listen to relax tapes etc breath in and breath out. I blame the kids.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 07:06:22 »
I'm really surprised at the amount of responses in this thread from people who wear mouthguards. I don't think I know anyone IRL who wears one (I mean, friends n family).

Anyway, I'm two weeks on decaff coffee now, one or two cups a day, and no other caffeinated drinks. It's a definite improvement for the jaw clenching, and sleeping at a reasonable hour is much easier. I've managed to get up and go to the gym every weekday before work. I'm digging it right now.

But I do miss the wonderful taste of coffee.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 20:02:39 »
Anyone else grind their teeth? Pretty sure it's cos of caffeine but I can't kick coffee. I managed for like a month or so a while back, but couldn't stick to it. Just ended up necking Coke instead.

If anyone has any tips on stopping teeth grinding and/or quitting caffeine I'm all ears. I'm gonna be ground to the gums if I carry on like this.
do you also have TMJ?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 04:21:30 »

do you also have TMJ?

Too Much Jazz?  :rolleyes:  Oh, Temporomandibular Joint Disorders. I didn't know what it was but I looked it up. I've never been diagnosed with it but some years back I had a persistant pain in my ear, as if there was something sharp blocking it, which the docs never got to the bottom of and it eventually went away. However it looks like it could be a symptom of TMJ, maaaaybe. Worth looking into, cheers. I probably should at least go get a doctor's opinion.