Author Topic: 4G Sim card router - internet and 4K Netflix possible?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
4G Sim card router - internet and 4K Netflix possible?
« on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 07:43:55 »
I want to cancel my contract with Virgin and switch to sim card router.
Would 4G sim with unlimited download (up to 150mbps speed) be enough to for general use of internet and 4K Netflix streaming?
Do you guys use sim card routers? Would you recommend any?

I pay £70 for 200mbps broadband, tv and phone from Virgin. I do not use tv and phone, wanted to disable these but those *******s want me to still pay £55 when other two services disabled...  >:D
I found some unlimited sim cards for £15/month with up to 150mbps down speeds. Then would need to find some router.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 February 2022, 07:46:13 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: 4G Sim card router - internet and 4K Netflix possible?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 08:41:57 »
Are they unlimited or "unlimited"?
Not sure about over there but here unlimited doesn't mean use all you want, at some point most will throttle you to the point of pain (128-256Kb).

More to the question though... again this may be somewhat different across the pond and that I haven't actually tried this myself.
4G is a dumpster fire for standards, before it was released companies started using the name to describe many different speeds, including enhanced 3g. 4G LTE is actually somewhat standard (an attempt to fix the mess), but even then speeds still vary depending on the frequency being used. Note that carriers are pulling the same trick with 5g. Higher frequency=more data/less distance, lower frequency longer distance/less bandwidth, that's a limitation of radio.

How loaded is your tower, 4g towers tend to be bandwidth limited, hence the desire to go 5g.
Does Virgin throttle that data even further?
A lot of cell carriers can and do send a signal to Netflix/youtube/etc. to downgrade streams to 480 or 720p then upstream them back to 4k, especially during Covid. So even if the system could send enough data, they may not.

Bottom line...
IF you can get the bandwidth (about 1/10th theoretical limit) and they do not throttle or downgrade the stream (good luck), in theory, it can easily manage. Ignoring theory and sticking to reality, yes it works, but as soon as anyone else tries doing anything on your connection, like your kid wants to watch Youtube or even Reddit. you could see some issues. Also, bear in mind some carriers do not like you using these as full time home internet and if you don't have a native carrier antennae nearby it could switch over to roaming in which case roaming charges could apply and even if you don't pay extra for that your carrier would and if you're streaming that much data over roaming your carrier is not going to be happy and could terminate the contract. I've seen and heard of it happening in more than just the U.S.

Side note:
Damn you guys have cheap data.
£70 for 200meg connection plus tv and and phone? my carrier would want 3x that and MANY places in the continental US can't even get close to those speeds. Worse still is that £15 deal, I currently pay 7x that for that same speed on a home connection let alone a mobile one.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 09:48:35 »
Thanks for your comment. Sounds like I better find other ISP than use sim router...

Well, I thought its expensive over here - internet only 200mbps is I £50 a month, 100mbps £45.
I got a quote for a 1gbps with that tv and phone - £70 a month - this is cheap but what a hell am I gonna do with that speed?

I think I may ask Virgin to lower it to 50mbps - it would be enough for my needs - 3 PCs and 4k Netflix.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 15:04:55 »
Stream 4k out every device at once, download all the things, stream & game all the time.  :thumb:

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 09:02:25 »
bandwidth over wireless is also very unstable. Latency spikes are HUGE.

Even wired internet is not "Unlimited", they get angry at around 7 TBs of upload.

Tp4 payz $80 month for gigabit, it's not even gigabit, it's 980mbps.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 11:09:44 »
I phoned Virgin and got new deal.
Dropped tv and landline phone, keeping same internet 200mbps and just renewing my mobile sim card for next 18 months for no extra cost.
Dropping internet costs from £70 to £36 :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 11:37:53 »
I hate you.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 15:13:04 »
I hate you.

:D  :D  :D

Well, they first offered me £70 1gbps...
Thing is I even wanted to drop it to 100mbps, I dont use it that much, watch 4k Netflix, only 3 PCs connected at home, download some "stuff" here and there, 10-20GB files, but maybe 3 times a week...

Overall, even 100mbps would be enough for me.
200mbps is fine, who the hell needs 1gbps?

Leslieann, to make you feel better - f** broadband speed, it rains here 99% of the time in this ****hole... I have depression here :'(
I would move to Canada if I could to have some sun and snow, even if I had to have 50mbps for $100.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2022, 15:20:15 by phinix »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 12:43:52 »

:D  :D  :D
it rains here 99% of the time in this ****hole... I have depression here :'(
I would move to Canada if I could to have some sun and snow, even if I had to have 50mbps for $100.

Learn Korean,  become pr0 starcraft.  Win ASL, then, Korea e-sports groupies cure depression.

Move to Korea,  get 10- gigabit internet for $37 a month.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 14:47:14 »
Leslieann, to make you feel better - f** broadband speed, it rains here 99% of the time in this ****hole... I have depression here :'(
I get that.
Rain, mold (OMG so much mold, ugh) and more was why I left the U.S. midwest and went back to the southwest rat race. Hello warm sunshine, goodbye easy living.

At one time I started making plans on moving to Canada but I'd have the same issue you're having now (lack of sun, I need lots), plus, the area of Canada I was considering (Vancouver) has become insanely expensive even by California standards.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 16:31:37 »
I used to have a 4G router, waiting for fiber since regular DSL was a no-go (512Kbps when it works, which is not often). Used the 4G for about 2 years.

I want to cancel my contract with Virgin and switch to sim card router.
Would 4G sim with unlimited download (up to 150mbps speed) be enough to for general use of internet and 4K Netflix streaming?
4K streaming, no. 4G will be enough for 1080p streaming though. Also "unlimited download" you better contact them and ask if:
- unlimited means unlimited. Usually "unlimited" means "limited" with a limit that's much lower than you may think. If it's above 10TB though you're fine streaming whatever you want.
- you can run aggregate 4G at around 300mbps. Mine did, awesome speeds. Still not enough for sustained 4K streaming, but full HD content was fine.
- you can use your simcard in a router. PC modem use is disabled for some low cost providers.

Do you guys use sim card routers? Would you recommend any?
Tried a few. Netgear one would silently reset my connection ever hour on the mark - means in games i'd get suddenly disconnected. Huawei router was fine.

I found some unlimited sim cards for £15/month with up to 150mbps down speeds. Then would need to find some router.
Usually truly unlimited 4G is much, much more expensive than that. There's something fishy.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 07:43:55 »
Yeah, I'm happy that I left with them and kept same speeds.
Don't really need that much but why not...
I guess I could even stay with just 100mbps, but just 2 quid less, wasn't worth saving.
like getting 100mbps for 2 quid :D

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 05:04:10 »
I want to cancel my contract with Virgin
Hahaha, good luck.

Also, which mobile operator gives you consistent 150mbps? I tried to use EE's 4G for work (Citrix Workspace + Zoom) and the connection wasn't stable enough, with latency spikes and inconsistent throughput.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury