Author Topic: MD does another round: your favorite kbd kit! (hint: Ergodox, $199)  (Read 15270 times)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: MD does another round: your favorite kbd kit! (hint: Ergodox, $199)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 12:11:03 »
the surface mount diodes are really not that hard to do, its not like you are soldering on a smd controller or something like that. i had fears myself but it ended up pretty easy, just apply solder to one of the diodes pads on all switches, use tweezers and position on top of pre-applied solder and heat contact with iron, then solder the other contact normally.  also check carefully before hand on the orientation of the diode, white bar needs to be facing square end.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 16:53:05 »

DSA ... makes it easier to set up different keyboard layouts, like Dvorak or Colemak.

This is only important for printed caps.  Both sets on MD are blank - go with DCS!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:03:45 by mooswa »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 14:32:58 »
the surface mount diodes are really not that hard to do, its not like you are soldering on a smd controller or something like that. i had fears myself but it ended up pretty easy, just apply solder to one of the diodes pads on all switches, use tweezers and position on top of pre-applied solder and heat contact with iron, then solder the other contact normally.  also check carefully before hand on the orientation of the diode, white bar needs to be facing square end.

...if you have proper equipment. It was PITA for me, because I had only rather thick & rounded pen tip.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 19:20:46 »
Adding some things:

Stabilizers..

I prefer them, to put them in, you have to mod the inserts.  trim the front and back.. add some clear tape to the stabilizer sockets in the egdx plates, they're a half-millimeter too wide.

Key caps..

Once you own the Egdx, you'll realize how trivial the whole "caps" obsession is.. The keyboard itself contains so much EPIC_WIN that even if it was super ugly, which it isn't, You'd STILL USE IT...

Getting used to layout..

Part of the Egdx project is fine tuning the way one uses the keyboard and this extends to technique and environmentals, such as heights and angles of chair, table, and typing surface.

If this sounds like a lot of "work"

Remember that the lazy route leads to all day discomfort at the hands of your current anti-ergonomic station..   

__we fill our worlds with hard right angles.. this is fine for a house.. but our bodies do not respond well to such rigid concept of form..

Offline Jette

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:52:17 »
I'm ordering custom keycaps, since I like non-standard layouts to have all the nice text for the escape-meta-alt-control-shift keys.

Aside from the numbers and letters, how many keys of which size and profile will I need?

If someone has the time to make a key-size reference out of this, it'd be awesome and help future generations of ergodox buyers.

I looked around for this info in the thread, but it's become kind of huge. Sorry if I missed it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:02:38 »
I'm ordering custom keycaps, since I like non-standard layouts to have all the nice text for the escape-meta-alt-control-shift keys.

Aside from the numbers and letters, how many keys of which size and profile will I need?

If someone has the time to make a key-size reference out of this, it'd be awesome and help future generations of ergodox buyers.

I looked around for this info in the thread, but it's become kind of huge. Sorry if I missed it.
There's an ergodox layout sheet that the excellent MOZ made
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46456.0

What I would recommend is just get a bunch of blanks and relegendables. The ergodox has some options, so if you want to split the thumbkeys (For example), your keycap requirements will change.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:03:08 »
That's first grade arithmetic. 12 1.5x keycaps, 64–68 1x keycaps and 0–4 2x ones (stabs are optional). Uniform/R3 works fine.

Offline Jette

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:12:27 »

What I would recommend is just get a bunch of blanks and relegendables. The ergodox has some options, so if you want to split the thumbkeys (For example), your keycap requirements will change.

That's magnificent and answers the size question perfectly, but I don't know which rows I'll need for the thumb keys. I don't want them to stick out awkwardly.

As for the labels, I'll probably be buying stupid custom caps with smileys or stars or what have you. It doesn't really matter what the label is, as long as it's different from the surrounding ones so it's easier to pronounce in my head ("smiley + zerg + D for revert" is easier than "left thumb 2, 3, and D").

Thanks for the help.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 21:17:18 »

That's magnificent and answers the size question perfectly, but I don't know which rows I'll need for the thumb keys. I don't want them to stick out awkwardly.

As for the labels, I'll probably be buying stupid custom caps with smileys or stars or what have you. It doesn't really matter what the label is, as long as it's different from the surrounding ones so it's easier to pronounce in my head ("smiley + zerg + D for revert" is easier than "left thumb 2, 3, and D").

Thanks for the help.

In my experience, row 3 (flat) works great for thumbs, but the row you get doesn't affect things that much. Some people might like the keycaps angled a but to match their range of thumb motion. My hands are pretty flexible, so it doesn't bother me. It's not so big a deal since you aren't hitting the edge of the keycap, but the flat.

I actually am making an ergodox one'hand gamepad. I got it all soldered up and I can't for the life of me get the firmware to load. I'll be using blanks on it, most likely (either that or tai-ho, 'cause it's cheap)

Offline Tisca

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 00:46:22 »
I actually am making an ergodox one'hand gamepad. I got it all soldered up and I can't for the life of me get the firmware to load. I'll be using blanks on it, most likely (either that or tai-ho, 'cause it's cheap)

Oh cool. I'm also planning to build one and ordered the ED to start with and get the feel of it. I'd love to see whatever you have so far..?

Offline bcg

Re: MD does another round: your favorite kbd kit!
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:45:38 »
Do you know if the MD has the through-hole diodes or the surface-mount diodes?

Also, he places the solder on a lot of the pads before putting the diodes in. This seems to be more efficient in creating a keyboard, but wouldn't the solder cool pretty fast?

the diodes are clearly throughhole. If it were me, Id rather die than put solder on the pads before inserting the components. A better way is to put all the diodes in, tape over them with masking tape so they dont fall out, flip the board over and solder them all at once. You will probably also want to build a jig out of perfboard so you can bend the legs super fast and easy. something like this

The diodes he shows at the beginning are through hole but he says he is going to use surface mount instead and holds up the strip of them... then around 2:30 you can see he is doing surface mount soldering

Sounds like through hole diodes ship with the kit

Nice design decision to support both options
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 December 2013, 00:43:12 by bcg »
:wq!

Offline mooswa

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 23:13:13 »
They used to send both through hole and smd diodes, in last drop though it is only smds.  The reasoning was that through holes where hard to fit for some buyers into the case.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 00:37:51 »
the through hole don't work with the case, you must use surface

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 20:07:12 »
the through hole don't work with the case, you must use surface
I have personally made two of these using through hole diodes and the massdrop case.

Not sure what you mean.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 23:41:19 »
how is that possible, the plate layer is flush to the PCB. did you mount them upside down?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 13:02:18 »
how is that possible, the plate layer is flush to the PCB. did you mount them upside down?
Inside the switches.

There is no reason to mount the diodes in front of the switches, unless you are going without a case. I would still not recommend that, as diodes help to stabilize the switch if it's PCB mounted.

I suspect there might also be room to mount them underneath the PCB, where the SMD diodes normally go, but I haven't tried.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 18:36:42 »
ok that makes sense but you have to realize i mean you cant use those through hole diode slots in front of the switches, i think some here who are new are thinking they can do that thanks to massdrop not being clear about it.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:21:41 »
Bump because reasons. Three days left -- you have until about the end of January, I guess that means?

Yes someone might have said that already and I was too busy to see it. I'm sorry. Read the discussions herein and be enlightened and amused.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:54:57 »
I am curious but not quite excited enough to take the plunge. It would be far more enticing if it accepted Alps instead of Cherries.

Does the $200 include everything but switches and keys? PCBs, cases, hardware?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 21:01:07 »
I am curious but not quite excited enough to take the plunge. It would be far more enticing if it accepted Alps instead of Cherries.

Pretty sure you can put ALPS in it.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 21:01:58 »

You can actually fit alps switches in it according to a couple of people that have done so.

The $200 includes everything but the solder and tools to assemble, so pcb, case, hardware, and switches.  You can add caps for an additional charge as well.

Offline Pac Caps

• Its almost a pallindrome
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 22:08:38 »
If I put alps into it will the keycap height be the same? Also where can I source Alps ergodox keycaps?
Want to be a cap maker

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 02:59:20 »
You can sorta put Alps in it, but (a) you need a new plate that fits alps switches, and (2) the switches might all be offset/rotated slightly relative to cherry switches, or you might have to slightly bend the leads on the alps switches to make them fit. I’m not exactly sure how that works out e.g. on the ones mounted sideways.

I haven’t actually seen anyone try to make an ergodox with all Alps switches. What I have seen is people solder one Alps switch onto the PCB, which sort of works.

If you want an Alps ergodox, I’d actually just recommend cutting your own custom plate/case, buying a teensy and I/O expander, and using direct wiring to hook all the switches and diodes up to a matrix, and skip the ergodox kit. But feel free to try to get alps switches in there if you want..
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 03:01:23 by jacobolus »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:42:25 »
The $200 includes everything but the solder and tools to assemble, so pcb, case, hardware, and switches.

Switches? Do you get a choice of colors?

Are stabilizers an issue?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:52:36 »
The $200 includes everything but the solder and tools to assemble, so pcb, case, hardware, and switches.

Blue, Clear, Black, Red (+$10), Brown (+$20), Green (+$20), No Switches (-$44)

I think most people just don't use stabilizers on ergodox.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 08:51:43 »

I miss them though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:11:13 »

I miss them though.

All the PR()  Egdx users use stabilizers... 

Egdx without stabilizers is like a plane without landing-gears...   

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:14:43 »
And the August order I put in will still arrive after this drop closes.

Be aware that this could be quite a long wait indeed.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 14:00:39 »
I haven't found a need for stabs on my doxes yet.

Offline phx

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 15:12:35 »
yeah I'm still waiting on the order I placed on 11/25 of last year.
still, 2 months is pretty short in GH standards

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 15:37:44 »
yeah I'm still waiting on the order I placed on 11/25 of last year.
still, 2 months is pretty short in GH standards
Yeah, but if yours takes as long as mine (and yes, I'm CONUS), you're still going to be waiting in April. :P

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 16:42:07 »
There are no stabilizers included with the kit, but you should get some, it’s a nice improvement.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 20:50:53 »
There are no stabilizers included with the kit, but you should get some, it’s a nice improvement.

I didn't see any difference, but it really can't hurt. It will depend greatly on your hand size/shape/flexibility.

Honestly, I don't know why MD doesn't just cut stab holes in the PCB: it's a really minor change. MK did it right.

Edit: to be specific, I only used mine while standing, where my thumbs were very well positioned to press the button with no need of stabilizer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 21:57:20 by dorkvader »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 21:07:02 »

I didn't see any difference, but it really can't hurt. It will depend greatly on your hand size/shape/flexibility.

Honestly, I don't know why MD doesn't just cut stab holes in the PCB: it's a really minor change. MK did it right.

LOL, yea it's a pretty straightforward fix... but.. eitherway.. stabs > no stabs..   

cuz sometimes...  my hands are off the table surface.... then I move them up to only use the backspace or delete or space.  in these instances I am not directly over the center of the key with my thumb...

The stabilizer makes a huge difference here.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:53:12 »
I'm not sure I follow. The MD plates have stabilizer holes, which the stabilizers fit into just fine. (Unfortunately though, the acrylic is much thicker than a typical metal plate, so it’s necessary to glue the stabilizer inserts into the plate [I used hot glue, which works fine] because there’s no close underside for the little plastic tabs to grip to.)