• Gnillort?
« on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:28:25 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:52:10 by esoomenona »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: State of the Clark Union
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:29:28 »
Maybe people are getting tired of the high prices, the whining and often lackluster communication of attempting to trade

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:30:40 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:52:22 by esoomenona »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:31:34 »
look up my conspiracy thread, where I exposed the truth.

Then the cc illuminates, "those collectors" you know of, use their multiple accounts and mod privilages to obscure the facts.

:D

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:33:01 »

Then the cc illuminates, "those collectors" you know of, use their multiple accounts and mod privilages to obscure the facts.

YEA!
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:35:44 »

YEA!
Show Image

LOL.  Don't forget the Molemen, and the alien/ bigfoot hybrids.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:41:53 »
I figure a CC store front coming with mkawa's geekhackers store.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:41:54 »
The reason for the sell-off  is because the hype is dieing down on keyboards overall. the ergodox has really changed the concept of keycap collection for many.

we are seeing the keyboard shifting from being a useless aesthetic towards pure-utility.

And fancy caps are Trivial next to the immense torrent of usefulness that is imbued in each Ergodox.

The click clacks were also NEVER actually that popular.  It was a very small group of collectors. You saw a wave of "devotee" threads on them because those morons needs some way to justify their silly purchases.

But the truth is, click clacks are niche, and the whole "skulls" theme is in the lowest bracket and only sell at places like hot-topic, to kids who have social anxiety.

These are the same kids who try to "stand-out" by "standing-away"..   and anyone whos been through highschool knows that this strategy does NOT work.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:43:27 »
http://www.fxesc.com/
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:47:15 »

that's been "under construction" for years.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:47:36 »
Looking for CC's!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:48:58 »

Construction's gotta stop some time :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:52:00 »

Construction's gotta stop some time :))

You've never been to NY......
Looking for CC's!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:56:48 »
The reason for the sell-off  is because the hype is dieing down on keyboards overall. the ergodox has really changed the concept of keycap collection for many.

we are seeing the keyboard shifting from being a useless aesthetic towards pure-utility.

And fancy caps are Trivial next to the immense torrent of usefulness that is imbued in each Ergodox.

The click clacks were also NEVER actually that popular.  It was a very small group of collectors. You saw a wave of "devotee" threads on them because those morons needs some way to justify their silly purchases.

But the truth is, click clacks are niche, and the whole "skulls" theme is in the lowest bracket and only sell at places like hot-topic, to kids who have social anxiety.

These are the same kids who try to "stand-out" by "standing-away"..   and anyone whos been through highschool knows that this strategy does NOT work.

It has nothing to do with ergodox. And also, lol.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:57:58 »

It has nothing to do with ergodox. And also, lol.

Everything has everything to do with the ergodox.

Why I, and I'm assuming you, don't have an ergodox?  The answer is ergodox, of course

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:02:39 »
..storms coming boys... batten down the hatches..

Seriously we need a julysicle monday discount or something, I gotta stock up for winter

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:05:54 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:52:46 by esoomenona »

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:07:12 »
Here's my speculation..

tsangan had some real life issues and decided that pieces of plastic weren't what he needed at the moment, and sold his clacks for $5000-$6000. So another guy who has a ****ton of clacks goes "well **** I need $5000-$6000" so he goes and makes an auction thread.

Simple.. IMO.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:08:05 »
Wow, this actually seems weird now that I think about it. SO many rare stuff on sale lately.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:14:07 »
I'm going with there's a bubble.  All these clack collectors/hoarders are seeing the rush of new people producing unique caps and know they might be producing them in limited runs as well. When you have Brobots V2, Domo caps, Binge caps, and I'm sure a few others coming out and many, especially Domo's, are looking to be high quality, it really shakes up the market.  Now there is more competition in that niche homemade novelty cap market and it's not just Clacks and the meh Brobots.

Not only that, but there's been an influx of more mechanical keyboard users and more people willing to pay ridiculous prices, so they know now's the time to sell high.  There will come a time when people just get sick of it and decide that it's not worth it anymore, not at hugely inflated prices that are lining the pockets of some greedy people (not all sellers are greedy, but some are).

Similar thing with the Korean keyboards.  People see all these awesome metal cases coming out domestically and cool domestic or more local keyboard projects and don't really see a reason to go with the more expensive Korean custom keyboards, especially when the market is starting to be flooded with all these other awesome options that also happen to be cheaper than a Kmac and the like without being any lower quality.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:15:18 »
I've noticed that suppliers are moving into the direction of cheap and acceptable quality of aluminium kb that are 1/2 to 1/4 the price of the korean kbs. maybe people just dont think theyre worth it anymore?

as for CCs.. maybe round 2 of the rarer colours are coming soon.

or just simply people need money because times are bad...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:16:46 »
lol nubbinator always hating. I love it.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:16:49 »
i think people think too much about nothing, and are making comparisons that have no relation to one another
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:18:49 »
CC told me the other day he was making new round of tricolors, and the metallic series, as well as the older 4grabs colors.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:20:07 »
CC told me the other day he was making new round of tricolors, and the metallic series, as well as the older 4grabs colors.

he also told me he's making a bunch of translucent caps too

edit: im lying, btw
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:22:11 by kenmai9 »

Offline laden3

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:20:08 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47355.msg1007924#msg1007924

This guy seems to notice it as well.

I have no interest in clacks and I think people will pay whatever amount of money for things that they like.

I was just curious about people selling off their LZ SE because I have a few KMACs and there are some little problems here and there which lead me to think that the older LZs might have the same problem as well while the newer LZs might have these "problems" eliminated.

Maybe I was thinking too much or it was just my own KMACs.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:21:50 »
clacks will soon be mass-produced.
single-color 3$
tri-color 5$

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:24:37 »
Time to sell all my Clacks.
GG
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:25:42 »

If Acid Fire's Grand Piano goes to production, the Ergodox will be a thing of the past.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:26:08 »

Sorry, I just saw too many broken V1 brobots, which is why I made that comment.  I love the looks of them, it just seems like they're not as resilient as some others.  They're much better than my own attempts so far though.  I hope the V2 is more resilient.  The design certainly looks like it will hold up better.

Not really hating on anything else, just making the claim, and one that I think is true, that people are getting over the Korean hype and seeing that there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.  And with the glut of new cap makers coming out, there's a smaller market for caps like Clacks.  They will always command a higher price than some of the newer custom caps, but I think the overall prices of them will start to come down a little.  They've just been too high for too long.

I stand by my bubble claim though.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:31:01 »

Sorry, I just saw too many broken V1 brobots, which is why I made that comment.  I love the looks of them, it just seems like they're not as resilient as some others.  They're much better than my own attempts so far though.  I hope the V2 is more resilient.  The design certainly looks like it will hold up better.

Not really hating on anything else, just making the claim, and one that I think is true, that people are getting over the Korean hype and seeing that there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.  And with the glut of new cap makers coming out, there's a smaller market for caps like Clacks.  They will always command a higher price than some of the newer custom caps, but I think the overall prices of them will start to come down a little.  They've just been too high for too long.

Absolutely, V1 was my learning phase. About process, colors, materials, etc. And I am happy and humbled to have the many fans support me through it. V2 will be production quality, as I have moved away from rubber molds completely.

I do enjoy competition in the market, but it really isn't competition, because people will like what they like. And buy what they like, and it's nothing but a big win for the people to have more choices.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:31:51 »

You make it sound like people buy CC's JUST because it's a custom cap......

I could be wrong, but I think its a little more than that.
Looking for CC's!

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:32:08 »

Absolutely, V1 was my learning phase. About process, colors, materials, etc. And I am happy and humbled to have the many fans support me through it. V2 will be production quality, as I have moved away from rubber molds completely.

I do enjoy competition in the market, but it really isn't competition, because people will like what they like. And buy what they like, and it's nothing but a big win for the people to have more choices.

BRO
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline laden3

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:37:58 »
Not really hating on anything else, just making the claim, and one that I think is true, that people are getting over the Korean hype and seeing that there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.

What alternatives do we have?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:40:59 »
Not really hating on anything else, just making the claim, and one that I think is true, that people are getting over the Korean hype and seeing that there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.

Make your own keys!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:43:17 »
people are getting over the Korean hype and seeing that there are cheaper options out there that are just as good.

I agree with you on this...

For the clacks, I haven't heard about any new ones coming out.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:44:33 »

That's the definition of competition though.  If there's really only one thing in a niche that people really want to fill, well, they'll buy it even if it's not their favorite.  When there are more options in that niche, it gives them more options within that niche.

You make it sound like people buy CC's JUST because it's a custom cap......

I could be wrong, but I think its a little more than that.

There's some of that, some people buy it as a currency since they know they can turn around and flip it for more (which I absolutely despise), some people buy it because they love the looks and quality, some people buy it because they like rare things and are collectors, and I'm sure there are other reasons.

Well, so far we've had the Phantom, GH60, and Ergodox (might be some I'm forgetting) and it looks like we have a few more in the works like AcidFire's board.  We also have a bunch of different cases in the works like Photek's case, that Singaporean? kid's case, and some others.  There are just getting to be more quality custom PCBs on the market and quality cases, so it's harder to justify the massive markup of some of the Korean boards.  Are they quality?  Yes.  Are they nice enough to justify $100-250 more than some of the other options on the market?  I think more people are gravitating toward no.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:48:52 by nubbinator »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:45:39 »
I think the only realistic answer is that a new robin hood (probably zenuty) has taken all the clacks from CF and will soon redistribute it for the poor and bring balance to Narnia.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:01:33 »
A better theory is that Kmiller8 has decided to destroy ALL the clacks after his previous success and that Clack owners are afraid to keep them!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:03:46 »
A better theory is that Kmiller8 has decided to destroy ALL the clacks after his previous success and that Clack owners are afraid to keep them!

seems legit

those alps adapters were really tiny explosives  :o

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:09:05 »
Disclaimer: I'm new here.

I agree with nub. I don't get the CC market. Some people have tons of them and all want to trade, but no one wants to sell. It's a weird situation that I believe makes their relative value explode, as no one is selling. So it is a smart move to sell them now.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:14:44 »

I agree with nub. I don't get the CC market. Some people have tons of them and all want to trade, but no one wants to sell. It's a weird situation that I believe makes their relative value explode, as no one is selling. So it is a smart move to sell them now.

i think a lot of people dont sell them is because its generally looked down upon to sell something thats greater than a group buy or 4grabs price.  trading is a way around that.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline laden3

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:14:45 »

Well, so far we've had the Phantom, GH60, and Ergodox (might be some I'm forgetting) and it looks like we have a few more in the works like AcidFire's board.  We also have a bunch of different cases in the works like Photek's case, that Singaporean? kid's case, and some others.  There are just getting to be more quality custom PCBs on the market and quality cases, so it's harder to justify the massive markup of some of the Korean boards.  Are they quality?  Yes.  Are they nice enough to justify $100-250 more than some of the other options on the market?  I think more people are gravitating toward no.

Photek's case looks amazing but I really doubt that the mass-produced case+pcb+switches etc. will be anything cheaper than the Korean customs.

If you look at boost's Skeldon, I think at least $400 needs to be spent to get a working keyboard.

I rrrove brrracks.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:15:36 »

i think a lot of people dont sell them is because its generally looked down upon to sell something thats greater than a group buy or 4grabs price.  trading is a way around that.

unless sob story of course

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:16:16 »

But you have to agree that for the CCs trading clearly is not working.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:17:37 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:53:47 by esoomenona »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:19:16 »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:21:29 »
What if CCs are working like stocks or something like this? People kept them as they valued, now they are getting their profits.

Perhaps it's like Bunny said and people need money.

Nevertheless, it's curious and interesting.

Offline laden3

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:23:53 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40104.0

Some more up for sale. Hmm...

As this thread gains more exposure, people will start panicking and start dumping their CCs. The moose gonna secretly buy them all and resell to robin hood...
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:27:05 »

But you have to agree that for the CCs trading clearly is not working.

well cc to cc trades are obviously not netting anyone any money unless they sell them at a later date but i've seen cc trades for high end boards that can be turned around and sold.

and then you get the "i'm just selling it for what i bought it for" line.  To be completely honest, i really don't care what people do.  This kind of stuff happens everywhere.  sports memorabilia, MAD TYTE JDM parts on car fourms, etc.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |