Author Topic: /r/mk community survey March 2015  (Read 8960 times)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
/r/mk community survey March 2015
« on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:37:14 »
Hi fellow geekhackers,

I made a little community survey for /r/MechanicalKeyboards. Since I see many of you commenting there, I think it might be interesting for you to fill it out if you haven't noticed it already.

The purpose of this survey is to see how the community might have changed since previous polls. It is not my intention to gauge any market interest or product viability, though some of the data could be used for that. I just enjoy looking at graphs and charts.

Original Reddit posting

The results!

Thank you for participating.  :-*
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:52:38 by wlhlm »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: /r/mk community survey March 2015
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:49:21 »
I'm gonna start a ****storm probably, but what other genders are there besides male and female?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:52:28 »
I'm gonna start a ****storm probably, but what other genders are there besides male and female?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender :-*

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:53:43 »

Political correctness is a *****.

Also total bull****, if you are easy to offend you should just shut the **** up and deal with other people having opinions.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:56:33 »
Ergodox is NOT a brand..

Ergodox is a way of lyfe...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:57:46 »

Also total bull****, if you are easy to offend you should just shut the **** up and deal with other people having opinions.

Everybody these days wants to be a snowflake.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 11:58:47 »
There's a difference between (biological) sex and gender (identity). The sex doesn't really matter for the survey, but what a persons thinks of itself what gender it has can make a difference. Other genders include Agender, Transgender, etc.

Lengthy Wikipedia article on gender identity.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 12:00:07 »
m-m-muh mental illness
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 13:47:05 »
This is a perfectly fine honest question. There’s nothing wrong with not knowing something and asking about it.

In short, gender is a constructed social role that people perform, whereas sex is biological. (Even someone’s sex is not always totally obvious or binary though, as reality doesn’t fit things into the same neat categories humans often try to, see WP: Intersex.) There are a surprisingly large number of genders, which vary from culture to culture (for example, this guy says there are more than 25 other genders), but it’s a very squishy kind of category, and there are also many critics of the whole concept of gender.

Check out wlhlm’s and jwaz’s Wikipedia links, and also WP: Sex and gender distinction and WP: Gender role. Or if you want, I can point you at a few other nice introductory sources.

Political correctness is a *****.  Also total bull****, if you are easy to offend you should just shut the **** up and deal with other people having opinions.
This comment by contrast is needlessly antagonistic, totally content-free, and pretty obnoxious, much likelier to start a ****storm.

To some extent, I think a lot of the controversy about the subject is about miscommunication and differing use of the same terms. Sometimes people on both sides of these controversies intentionally misconstrue statements from the other side by imposing their own meanings for words, spinning definitional differences as logical contradictions, either out of ignorance or as an intentional rhetorical strategy.

But if you want to have productive conversations about such topics, you should first make the effort to understand what people are saying, and then try to explain your own point of view in a generous way, helping them to understand your definitions and premises. Most of the time they’re not trying to deny your “opinion”, but just wish you would listen to them for a little bit instead of reflexively lashing out with insults. And if you don’t want to have productive conversations, what’s the point?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:18:42 by jacobolus »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:19:23 »

Mayonnaise
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:23:31 »
This comment by contrast is needlessly antagonistic, totally content-free, and pretty obnoxious, much likelier to start a ****storm.

To some extent, I think a lot of the controversy about the subject is about miscommunication and differing use of the same terms. Sometimes people on both sides of these controversies intentionally misconstrue statements from the other side by imposing their own meanings for words, trying to spin definitional differences as logical contradictions, as an underhanded rhetorical strategy.

But if you want to have productive conversations about such topics, you should first make the effort to understand what people are saying. Most of the time they’re not trying to deny your “opinion”, but just wish you would listen to them for a little bit instead of reflexively lashing out with insults. And if you don’t want to have productive conversations, what’s the point?

I have tried so many times to talk to people in my area about this but everyone here is so defensive that conversation is impossible. People have actually tried to sue because questionnaires  created by students at my HS only included male and female as options for gender. Every time its brought up people yell political correctness, discrimination, and then call their lawyers.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:25:11 »
I have tried so many times to talk to people in my area about this but everyone here is so defensive that conversation is impossible. People have actually tried to sue because questionnaires  created by students at my HS only included male and female as options for gender. Every time its brought up people yell political correctness, discrimination, and then call their lawyers.
Stuff like that really makes me sick. That's what political correctness and 'muh feelings' gets you.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:28:10 »

Mayonnaise

Salad Cream

Offline osi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:32:46 »

Mayonnaise

Salad Cream

I love eating the leftover cream after getting my salad tossed

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:34:23 »

Mayonnaise

Salad Cream

oh jesus
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline osi

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:37:14 »

Mayonnaise

Salad Cream

oh jesus

No, no. It wasn't Jesus, it was his brother Guillermo

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:48:07 »
cool done!  :thumb:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 14:51:07 »
People have actually tried to sue because questionnaires  created by students at my HS only included male and female as options for gender. Every time its brought up people yell political correctness, discrimination, and then call their lawyers.
Some students and parents in an American high school in a middle class suburban neighborhood (I assume) are idiots ≠ “political correctness” is total bull****. (Though personally, I think “political correctness” is an awful term, which was mostly popularized by right wing pundits and talkshow hosts as something to whine about when people told them they were being *******s and they didn’t have any substantive responses.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:21:01 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:12:48 »
Anyway, back on topic..

I made a little community survey for /r/MechanicalKeyboards. Since I see many of you commenting there, I think it might be interesting for you to fill it out if you haven't noticed it already.

The purpose of this survey is to see how the community might have changed since previous polls. It is not my intention to gauge any market interest or product viability, though some of the data could be used for that. I just enjoying looking at graphs and charts.

First, everyone should note that self-selected surveys like this are usually extremely poor measures of real populations, because the self selection dramatically skews responses.

But anyway, there are some questions you could improve.

- you should break down ages more evenly and add more categories. You seem to be trying to make a distinction between high school and college students with the break at 18, but age isn’t the best proxy for that, and having different sized age buckets makes it needlessly difficult to compare ages. I think you should just do 5 year age buckets from 10 up to say 60, and then maybe have a catch-all beyond that.

- Asia is a pretty broad geographic category, including Israel, Indonesia, and North Korea. Might be interesting to break that into a few subcategories

- No BSD, etc.?

- Would be interesting to do a survey on typing technique a bit finer grained than 2 finger vs. touch typing vs. other. Probably going to take about 10–20 questions about it to get a decent summary of everyone’s different technique though.

- Preferred keyboard brand list doesn’t really include vintage stuff

- preferred layout should probably at least include japanese layout. “Ergonomic” is a pretty broad category, as is “custom”. Maybe those should have text fields.

- switch types question is super limited, with way too heavy an MX focus. Would be interesting to give people a list of maybe 40 types of switches, with options for “love it”, “like it”, “meh”, “hate it”, and “haven’t tried” (or similar) for each one. Seriously, not even a distinction between Model M & F, or a beam spring option? You’d get crucified at Deskthority. :P

-  you might want to credit me in linking that keycap profile reference pic, or link the geekhack thread about it. :-) also, the list of choices is pretty incomplete. Personally I’d break the question up into 3 questions: (1) how tall should keycaps be low/medium/high? (2) what top shape flat/spherical/cylindrical/other? (3) flat/sculpted caps/uniform caps with curved plate.

- whether someone should elevate their keyboard depends on desk height, so can’t be asked generically without knowing the context. also, your question doesn’t accommodate tented split keyboards, reverse slope keyboards, etc.

- would be nice when asking about palmrests to include chair elbow/armrests and forearms rests in the question. Might also be interesting to ask about preferred palmrest material.

- you should add a question about laptops and keyboard use, and another question about using keyboards on desk vs. lap.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:14:44 by jacobolus »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:17:55 »
bronies
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:19:27 »
People have actually tried to sue because questionnaires  created by students at my HS only included male and female as options for gender. Every time its brought up people yell political correctness, discrimination, and then call their lawyers.
Some students and parents in an American high school in a middle class suburban neighborhood (I assume) are idiots ≠ political correctness is total bull****.

I live in an area that is primarily upper middle class with some very very wealthy families. I really don't want this to become political but the issue is normally very wealthy liberal families. Word definitions typically mean very little here.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 15:44:53 »
Anyway, back on topic..

The purpose of this survey is to see how the community might have changed since previous polls. It is not my intention to gauge any market interest or product viability, though some of the data could be used for that. I just enjoying looking at graphs and charts.

First, everyone should note that self-selected surveys like this are usually extremely poor measures of real populations, because the self selection dramatically skews responses.

But anyway, there are some questions you could improve.

- you should break down ages more evenly and add more categories. You seem to be trying to make a distinction between high school and college students with the break at 18, but age isn’t the best proxy for that, and having different sized age buckets makes it needlessly difficult to compare ages. I think you should just do 5 year age buckets from 10 up to say 60, and then maybe have a catch-all beyond that.
I tried to stay close to the questions from the March 2014 survey to be able to compare the results

- No BSD, etc.?
I was under the impression, the vast majority people are using Windows, but a (at least to me) surprising amount of people prefer Linux.  I tried running PC-BSD some time ago and had trouble with drivers.  I think for desktop systems, BSD distributions lack some hardware support and I guess many prefer OS X which sits atop a BSD userland. Also, not a single person added a BSD via the other field.

- Would be interesting to do a survey on typing technique a bit finer grained than 2 finger vs. touch typing vs. other. Probably going to take about 10–20 questions about it to get a decent summary of everyone’s different technique though.

- Preferred keyboard brand list doesn’t really include vintage stuff
Another of  the brand questions is that I should've let people make multiple choices instead of having to settle on a specific one.

- preferred layout should probably at least include japanese layout. “Ergonomic” is a pretty broad category, as is “custom”. Maybe those should have text fields.
I was looking into japanese layouts, but wasn't able to determine the most often used one. I tried not to add too many options to the questions to make the form a bit more clear and solve "edge cases" via Other-options.

For the base keyboard layout: I wanted to distinguish between 3 keyboard types: "standard" layouts (using either ISO or ANSI arrangements), "custom" layouts (non-staggered/grid-layouts like Planck or Atomic, but still all keys arranged on a flat board ) and "ergonomic" meaning layouts that underline that the user actually has hands (like Ergodox, Kinesis, ...).

- switch types question is super limited, with way too heavy an MX focus. Would be interesting to give people a list of maybe 40 types of switches, with options for “love it”, “like it”, “meh”, “hate it”, and “haven’t tried” (or similar) for each one. Seriously, not even a distinction between Model M & F, or a beam spring option? You’d get crucified at Deskthority. :P
I was thinking about doing something like this, but I didn't find a way to do this with Google Forms.

-  you might want to credit me in linking that keycap profile reference pic, or link the geekhack thread about it. :-) also, the list of choices is pretty incomplete.
Sorry, I only later added the reference and forgot the attribution. My bad.

- whether someone should elevate their keyboard depends on desk height, so is circumstantial. also, your question doesn’t accommodate tented split keyboards, reverse slope keyboards, etc.

- you should add a question about laptops and keyboard use, and another question about using keyboards on desk vs. lap.
This would definitely have been interesting additions. Though, they would've made the survey even longer than it already is. Originally, I included some more question, but decided to remove them to keep it a little shorter to not overwhelm people.

Summary to some of your points:
  • This is my first survey I did in this form
  • I tried to be close to questions in previous surveys to be able to compare them
  • I tried not to have too many options to keep the form clean. When choosing which options to keep, I was thinking about the general /r/mk audience and leave edge cases to Other-fields

Thank you very much for your suggestions and I will definitely keep them in mind when doing another survey. Hope that data generated is interesting nonetheless. I hope I have some analysis done until Sunday.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2015, 16:14:47 by wlhlm »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 16:28:24 »
Yeah, I wasn’t trying to criticize the current survey. Just throwing out ideas. I’ll be curious to see the results.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 20:40:30 »

Halverson
Hideyoshi

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2015, 20:42:15 by the1onewolf »

Offline base_on_base

• Resident Hydroxide
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 21:45:52 »

Who gives a ****? Like, I'm not going to call someone by some dumb /sur/zeit/xie pronouns they came up with but if someone wants to feel special about themselves by claiming their mono-poly-a-gendered or whatever the hell, I'm not going to spend the time telling them that they're being ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:34:56 by base_on_base »

WASD V2 - MX Green / Aqua - MX Green(WIP) / Unicomp Ultra Classic - Buckling Springs

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 22:15:24 »

going to rustle tumblrina's period panties now
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline base_on_base

• Resident Hydroxide
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:35:36 »

going to rustle tumblrina's period panties now

Implying that any tumbrilinas are actually old enough to have hit puberty.

WASD V2 - MX Green / Aqua - MX Green(WIP) / Unicomp Ultra Classic - Buckling Springs

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 09:48:29 »
Ok, survey is closed! Results will hopefully be published soon.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:47:55 »

m-m-muh mental illness

THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 00:59:00 »

m-m-muh mental illness

Show Image

All of those posts were discussed.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:03:53 »
Alright, it took me a bit longer than expected, but I finally can present you the results!

Results

Thanks again for participating!  :-*

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:51:20 »
Quote from: wlhlm
The number of flipped space bars is way too low for my taste. You really should give it a try, it's way more comfortable.

I tried it for a while, and couldn't stand it. It felt like my thumb was slipping off of the spacebar the whole time. Probably since I actually put pressure more on the bottom of the spacebar rather than in the middle.

Everyone should try it though, enough people like it that it's probably worth figuring out your own preference.
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline engicoder

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:58:58 »
Why am I in the low percentile in most of the results????

Oh yeah, I'm not a 15 year old obsessed whatever everyone says its the best.  :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:00:21 »

Oh yeah, I'm not a 15 year old obsessed whatever everyone says its the best.  :p

Haha, yeah, we are not well represented it seems.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:02:10 »
The amount of kids on this forum is too damn high!

You can really see this had more /r/mk flavor of users than DT or GH users. I could almost smell the acne medication and stock Ducky's and QFR's while I read through it.

That cap profile data. I raged a little inside. OEM and 'don't care'  :mad:
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:05:37 by noisyturtle »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:06:21 »

Definitely not.  As evidenced by the PBT circlejerk (yet doubleshot preferred), OEM as preferred keycap profile, SP and Vortex being the favorite cap manufacturers, MX Blues the favorite switch, ~60% owning only 1-2 keyboards, Ducky, Cooler Master, and Vortex being the tops for boards, 83% reporting a happy wallet, and almost exclusively Massdrop group buys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:08:23 by nubbinator »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:08:39 »
Alright, it took me a bit longer than expected, but I finally can present you the results!

Results

Some pretty cool results. Interesting how even the layout use was between TKL, full sized and 60%
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:16:34 »

Results

Some pretty cool results. Interesting how even the layout use was between TKL, full sized and 60%

That is an interesting question. From time to time, my preference shift between all three.

in memoriam

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:18:11 »

Results

I think the Poker II drew many to the 60% size.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:19:18 »

Results

I think the Poker II drew many to the 60% size.

I selected 60% myself, but I rotate between that, TKL, and full size all the time.

in memoriam

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:34:00 »

Results

That is an interesting question. From time to time, my preference shift between all three.

Same. I have used all three in the last 2 months or so.

I missed out on the survey though. But looking back I think I would have had multiple answers for multiple questions.

Wish I had for the Keycool representation D:
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:59:03 »
Oops, I forgot to include keyboard modifications. Now added.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:35:51 »

Definitely not.  As evidenced by the PBT circlejerk (yet doubleshot preferred), OEM as preferred keycap profile, SP and Vortex being the favorite cap manufacturers, MX Blues the favorite switch, ~60% owning only 1-2 keyboards, Ducky, Cooler Master, and Vortex being the tops for boards, 83% reporting a happy wallet, and almost exclusively Massdrop group buys.
and the fact that a very large percentage of users were in high school. Certainly a minority here
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ceflame

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:50:58 »
I actually want to see a geekhack community survey if anyone wants to run one

Sometimes I get thrown off with people's profile pictures making me think that they're some really old dude but their profile ends up saying they're younger than me. you guys trolling with fake birthdates or something?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:58:54 »
It is a very interesting survey. Thank you for sharing the information. Considering that r/MK community is larger than GH's, it is very interesting to see that people there are also younger.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:21:29 »

Considering that r/MK community is larger than GH's...

Ha! Sure it is. /sarcasm

Being a reddit.com member and clicking "Subscribe" on a particular subreddit doesn't really make someone a member of that community, in my opinion. A certain founder of r/MK just likes to tout raw numbers, with no real meaning behind them.

in memoriam

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:58:04 »
It is a very interesting survey. Thank you for sharing the information. Considering that r/MK community is larger than GH's, it is very interesting to see that people there are also younger.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:23:55 »
Considering that r/MK community is larger than GH's...

Ha! Sure it is. /sarcasm

Being a reddit.com member and clicking "Subscribe" on a particular subreddit doesn't really make someone a member of that community, in my opinion. A certain founder of r/MK just likes to tout raw numbers, with no real meaning behind them.

I also wonder why he uses these numbers, as they are obviously hard to compare. You could have a Reddit-account for many different reasons other than /r/MK, but you might as well hit subscribe to get some keyboard-related information on your front page.

Numbers that are more comparable are the activies in the last week for example. There are weekly reports generated for /r/MK:
Totals: 7 days, 749 posts, 10,122 comments.
Included in this report: The top 400 posts, and 7,982 of the top comments, by 2,498 distinct authors.
To be fair these numbers are for March 3 to March 9, but should not differ too much from week to week.

There are also traffic statistics:
Code: [Select]
Average pageviews per day:  89,577

Geekhack has some weekly stats as well:
Code: [Select]
Active Members Today:  1995
Active Members (past 7 days):  3484
Unique Posters (past 7 days):  848
Average page views per day:  494640.51
Average posts per day:  1084.14
Average topics per day:  36.93

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:24:04 »
Why do people buy all them duckies..  it has such a crummy logo..  I guess there is the convenience of thick-pbts built in..

Still... That logo is dumb..