Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3525980 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2450 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 13:45:01 »
what time does my mail truck come by?

It's being re-routed to Cincinnati Ohio and your packages are being dropped off at my apartment :P

with my recent bad luck with the mail, i would kinda expect that haha

and i feel your pain with the switch tour...why don't people just read the OP?

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #2451 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 15:16:33 »
Anyone have a link showing how to make the Filco cable detachable?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2452 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:07:22 »
I've always wondered about this picture on EK. What is that full-size keyboard and why does it look like that?
Show Image

Board on left has a cover. The board on the right, however, isn't a board at all! It's the filco keycap holder that comes with their keycap sets.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2453 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:25:10 »
Does anyone else get stuck keys? I'm using an HPE 104 (costar stabilizers I believe) and I just got round 1 PBT set from moose and I have a problem where the keys with stabilizers get stuck if I depress them too hard. Example: http://imgur.com/a/7ERLo
Is this normal? Did I put them on wrong?

Thanks!

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2454 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:37:00 »
I've always wondered about this picture on EK. What is that full-size keyboard and why does it look like that?
Show Image

What is the pad thing with buttons? It's not even on EK (I don't think).

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2455 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:37:42 »
Show Image

What is the pad thing with buttons? It's not even on EK (I don't think).
Filco Neo trackpad.
github

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2456 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:39:26 »
The board on the right, however, isn't a board at all! It's the filco keycap holder that comes with their keycap sets.

LOL dude that makes sense. I think this is a record for most wrong answers to a simple question? Hahaha.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2457 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:40:43 »
The board on the right, however, isn't a board at all! It's the filco keycap holder that comes with their keycap sets.

LOL dude that makes sense. I think this is a record for most wrong answers to a simple question? Hahaha.
It's a confusing picture. At first I thought it was a filco in a box with a hole in it just like everyone else :p
github

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2458 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:41:13 »
Filco Neo trackpad.

Were they not very popular? I don't see them for sale anywhere.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2459 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:41:48 »
It's a confusing picture. At first I thought it was a filco in a box with a hole in it just like everyone else :p
Haha, yeah after close inspection you can kind of tell that there's no way a Filco would fit in a box and have those dimensions [edge is too close to the keycaps]

Found one here:

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:52:23 by Lastpilot »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2460 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 19:17:04 »
I plan on cutting my fullsized model M down to a 60%. I'm assuming since I have to cut the metal plate, I'll have to remove all the plastic revits, cut the plate, fold the membrane and then bolt mod it. Is this correct?

What type of fasteners are used for a bolt mod?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2461 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 19:32:23 »
The Trope switches have tactile point very high like membrane keyboard right?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2462 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:16:31 »
It's weird to describe but yeah, it's there. The keystrokes register near the top also.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2463 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:19:00 »
Would I be safe supporting my plate mounted phantom from the edges of the plate alone or should it really be supported at the 2 points in the middle of the plate as well?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2464 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:20:09 »
Would I be safe supporting my plate mounted phantom from the edges of the plate alone or should it really be supported at the 2 points in the middle of the plate as well?
Depends on how you will be supporting it from the edges. If all edges are securely resting on something and it is fixed in place then you don't need the middle points.
github

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2465 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:41:01 »
Depends on how you will be supporting it from the edges. If all edges are securely resting on something and it is fixed in place then you don't need the middle points.

it depends on if the edges are merely propped up vs Clamped.   if it's merely propped up at the edges, supports in the middle would be good, bridges bend in the middle, thats why they put posts underneath.

If it's CLAMPED on the sides, then you're in the clear because that tension should be enough to prevent flexing.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2466 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:46:13 »
Awesome thanks for the info guys.  It was going to be clamped/sandwiched between the frame and the top cover.  Which is planned to be steel. 

On an unrelated topic is it wrong that when my wife asked me what I wanted for Fathers Day, I told her I just wanted the OK to buy the material for my keyboard case?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2467 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:47:44 »
Anyone have a link showing how to make the Filco cable detachable?

Try this link.

I plan on cutting my fullsized model M down to a 60%. I'm assuming since I have to cut the metal plate, I'll have to remove all the plastic revits, cut the plate, fold the membrane and then bolt mod it. Is this correct?

What type of fasteners are used for a bolt mod?

A list of parts and a guide on how to do a bolt mod can be found here.

Does anyone else get stuck keys? I'm using an HPE 104 (costar stabilizers I believe) and I just got round 1 PBT set from moose and I have a problem where the keys with stabilizers get stuck if I depress them too hard. Example: http://imgur.com/a/7ERLo
Is this normal? Did I put them on wrong?

Thanks!

Your pictures look ok. I have no idea what you did wrong. Did you slide the wire into the insert holes?

On an unrelated topic is it wrong that when my wife asked me what I wanted for Fathers Day, I told her I just wanted the OK to buy the material for my keyboard case?

Nope, seems legit to me.

The Trope switches have tactile point very high like membrane keyboard right?

No, to me, the actuation point felt like it was in the middle. Very much where the Cherry actuation point is.

Filco Neo trackpad.

Were they not very popular? I don't see them for sale anywhere.

I don't know much about them. I've never heard of it until now myself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 June 2013, 08:50:19 by CPTBadAss »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2468 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 08:40:30 »
Can I add LEDs to a KBT Pure that came without LEDs? Also would I have to do it to all keys or can I do it just for the ones I like?

I have added O-rings on my keyboard. Can I dampen the sound even more? Should I try putting something between the stand-offs of the case and the PCB?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2469 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 08:48:06 »
It's a fairly common problem with costar stabilizer and Cherry profile keycaps combination. Cherry keycap are too shallow inside and thick walled, there is not enough room for the standard size stabilizer wire meant for oem profile keycap to collapse inside so it jams right around the actuation point.

Yes Pure non led use the same PCB and firmware as the led version. It has been confirmed.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2470 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 08:53:49 »
1) Can I add LEDs to a KBT Pure that came without LEDs?
2) Also would I have to do it to all keys or can I do it just for the ones I like?
3) I have added O-rings on my keyboard. Can I dampen the sound even more?
4) Should I try putting something between the stand-offs of the case and the PCB?

1) According to Ivan you can
2) If you can put LEDs into the board, I assume that you can put the LEDs where you please.
3) You could swap the switches out to something like a Red, Black, Brown, or White. Those switches are relatively quiet in my opinion. You can try putting a big mousepad or towel underneath the board. I heard that helps a little as well
4) That won't really make your board quieter. I just did this mod to my FC700R. It's still loud.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2471 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:03:16 »
2) If you can put LEDs into the board, I assume that you can put the LEDs where you please.
Thanks! Can you link me to that post? I couldn't really find anything.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2472 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:06:23 »
Thanks! Can you link me to that post? I couldn't really find anything.

The post where Ivan said you can? It's above mine.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #2473 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:12:43 »
Did anyone run into this problem in the past...  My note to Qtang follows:

Qtang,

A while ago, I bought a Vortex KBTalking Pure from you.  It came with an extra set of white print on gray PBT keycaps.  Until now, I have bee using the ABS keycaps that came installed on the keyboard. Now, I am changing them, and I have found that the PBT set has 2 "L" keycaps, and no "E".  Can you please obtain a white print on gray Vortex PBT "E" keycap, and send it to me (as soon as possible).

Thanks,

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #2474 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:15:36 »
The post where Ivan said you can? It's above mine.
I should get some coffee. Thanks to Ivan as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2475 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:28:41 »
Did anyone run into this problem in the past...  My note to Qtang follows:

Qtang,

A while ago, I bought a Vortex KBTalking Pure from you.  It came with an extra set of white print on gray PBT keycaps.  Until now, I have bee using the ABS keycaps that came installed on the keyboard. Now, I am changing them, and I have found that the PBT set has 2 "L" keycaps, and no "E".  Can you please obtain a white print on gray Vortex PBT "E" keycap, and send it to me (as soon as possible).

Thanks,

I've never dealt with qtan but it seems like there's an easy fix for a simple misunderstanding. He just swapped caps by accident. Happens a lot in GBs and I'm not surprised it happened with a vendor.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2476 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:41:19 »
Double post but it's only because I want to ask a question myself. So over in the Best Buckling Spring Keyboard thread, I was shown some 60% Buckling Spring mods that Hasu and ClickClack have done. In Hasu's Happy Buckling Keyboard thread, he shows that he's using copper tape to fix the traces.

My question is, instead of copper tape, can I use one of those Bare Conductive pens instead of the tape to fix traces?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #2477 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 09:45:38 »
Double post but it's only because I want to ask a question myself. So over in the Best Buckling Spring Keyboard thread, I was shown some 60% Buckling Spring mods that Hasu and ClickClack have done. In Hasu's Happy Buckling Keyboard thread, he shows that he's using copper tape to fix the traces.

My question is, instead of copper tape, can I use one of those Bare Conductive pens instead of the tape to fix traces?

I would guess no. mkawa probably has a good idea has he has been researching the films and traces used in BS boards a little for the SSK revival I believe.

I don't think the conductive ink pens crate a very flexible trace. This might work well for PCBs and such, but a thin flexible film will bend a lot more and I would guess that there is a high risk of breaking the circuit. Just my guess though

Edit: I'll happily be proven wrong by someone who knows that stuff because I like the idea.

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #2478 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 15:55:53 »
Is it possible to make Cherry white sound more? Like the Cherry Green for example? It's supposed to be clicky but to me it only sounds like a non-clicky tactile switch. :/
Left geekhack 2013-08-24, because of rude and arbitrary moderators.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2479 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 15:58:26 »
Is it possible to make Cherry white sound more? Like the Cherry Green for example? It's supposed to be clicky but to me it only sounds like a non-clicky tactile switch. :/

If you want louder switches, why not just get a Green or a Blue switch? Whites are just quieter. And you might be the first person to ask for a louder keyboard lol

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #2480 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 15:59:59 »

If you want louder switches, why not just get a Green or a Blue switch? Whites are just quieter. And you might be the first person to ask for a louder keyboard lol
Yeah I know the greens and blues are louder but now I've already bought one with white switches and since green switches are hard to find here and blue switches are far too light for me I'm looking for a way to make the ones I have louder. :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2481 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:02:05 »
Yeah I know the greens and blues are louder but now I've already bought one with white switches and since green switches are hard to find here and blue switches are far too light for me I'm looking for a way to make the ones I have louder. :P

Get 62g or lighter Korean springs. It seems like the lighter springs takes away the muffled click and just makes the Whites feel like Greens and Blues. And it makes them louder. But taking away the muffled click negates the whole point of having Whites in my opinion.

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #2482 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:34:55 »
[quothavee author=CPTBadAss link=topic=40501.msg925931#msg925931 date=1370984525]

Get 62g or lighter Korean springs. It seems like the lighter springs takes away the muffled click and just makes the Whites feel like Greens and Blues. And it makes them louder. But taking away the muffled click negates the whole point of having Whites in my opinion.
[/quote]

I'll have to think this through, perhaps I'm just used to louder switches. Thanks for the advice though.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2483 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:44:01 »
Springs don't matter, they will stay quiet if you don't remove the lubrication from the stems. I suspect this is a byproduct of people handling the internals during switch modding which is why they end up louder than before.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2484 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 18:59:52 »
I bought a aluminum spacebar from feng.
is there a way to reduce the sound it makes?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2485 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:01:36 »

Take it off? lol j/k... I'm not sure, but I had one for a few days and disliked it for the same reason.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2486 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:05:12 »

Maybe use O-Rings?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2487 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:29:34 »

Maybe use O-Rings?

just tried that. I have even doubled them. no change.

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2488 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 21:47:37 »
I placed an order through the DA cherry switch bot (7bit) for 90 PCB Mounted MX Clears which were in stock and marked as shipped. It's been 2.5 weeks. At what point do I get concerned that my package may not arrive? I had literally no DA presence (new account - 0 posts) when I placed the order.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2489 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 21:55:34 »
I placed an order through the DA cherry switch bot (7bit) for 90 PCB Mounted MX Clears which were in stock and marked as shipped. It's been 2.5 weeks. At what point do I get concerned that my package may not arrive? I had literally no DA presence (new account - 0 posts) when I placed the order.

I would send 7bit a PM or post in the order thread at DT

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2490 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 22:07:33 »

I've waited up to two months before finding out what happened to my packages. Send him a PM and be patient.

Springs don't matter, they will stay quiet if you don't remove the lubrication from the stems. I suspect this is a byproduct of people handling the internals during switch modding which is why they end up louder than before.

Are you sure? I swapped in springs the other day and they were louder. And that's good to know that Whites are lubed.

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2491 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 22:10:48 »

I would send 7bit a PM or post in the order thread at DT
okay cool thanks, I just did now

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #2492 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 00:39:43 »
Oh all right, thanks for the help. Btw I really hate your avatar. It ruins my nightsurfing. ;D

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #2493 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 01:42:59 »
I just got my brand spankin new Realforce Topre 87U 45g! It feels amazing. However, I found the housing or the frame of the keyboard itself to be rather flimsy. Does anyone else have this issue? The part of the case (top as opposed to bottom) which surrounds the keys can be moved back and forth rather easily like it's loose :/ I cannot pull it off from the entire keyboard however, but it is rather disconcerting since I did pay over $200 for it. So I'd expect good quality craftsmanship. Does this "shakyness" of the keyboard faceplate happen to anyone else's Realforce 87U?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2494 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 02:09:21 »
Folio I believe that was a few peoples problem, I think it may be down to a bad bath, I'd reccomend giving the manufature an email
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2495 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 05:44:46 »
I just got my brand spankin new Realforce Topre 87U 45g! It feels amazing. However, I found the housing or the frame of the keyboard itself to be rather flimsy. Does anyone else have this issue? The part of the case (top as opposed to bottom) which surrounds the keys can be moved back and forth rather easily like it's loose :/ I cannot pull it off from the entire keyboard however, but it is rather disconcerting since I did pay over $200 for it. So I'd expect good quality craftsmanship. Does this "shakyness" of the keyboard faceplate happen to anyone else's Realforce 87U?

I understand that is quite common for RealForce.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42978.msg872410#msg872410
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41494.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #2496 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 09:44:56 »
Folio I believe that was a few peoples problem, I think it may be down to a bad bath, I'd reccomend giving the manufature an email

I understand that is quite common for RealForce.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42978.msg872410#msg872410
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41494.0

I emailed Elite Keyboards and they answered very promptly saying I could replace it if I wanted, but they cannot guarantee that I will get a solid one. I truly appreciate their offer, but since (apparently) others have the same problem, I feel a bit less inclined to go through the trouble. It doesn't impede the use of the keyboard at all, it's just annoying knowing it's there. Maximum OCD. Thanks for your responses. It made me feel a bit better. I'll just stop being a baby and deal with it I guess.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2497 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:19:10 »
Ok here is the connector that I am going to use for my "Top Secret Project".  Desoldering the wires isn't going to be an issue.  However, any suggestions on cleaning up the mess of the combined pins via mountain of solder?
25250-0

Has anyone ever made or suggested making keycaps out of marble, granite, or any other stone?

Can diodes be soldered to the bottom side of the PCB for the phantom SMD style with the lead just sitting across the pad?

Melvang

Edit:  Sorry about the odd focus.  The only way i have to shoot macro is with my Lensbaby on the wifes Canon 7d using the macro extension tubes
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:22:46 by Melvang »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #2498 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:21:29 »
However, any suggestions on cleaning up the mess of the combined pins via mountain of solder?

desoldering wick?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2499 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:23:17 »
However, any suggestions on cleaning up the mess of the combined pins via mountain of solder?

desoldering wick?

I have a desoldering pump but how well would it work on that mountain?