Author Topic: Aerope; a trackball for Atreus  (Read 12505 times)

Offline skygazer

Aerope; a trackball for Atreus
« on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:18:03 »
I love my Atreus... it is the perfect ergo keyboard for typing in my lap!  But after using it for a month or so, I started longing for some kind of pointing device that could fit it that small gap between the right and left halves.  I wanted something simple and removable, and i didn't particularly want to completely rebuild the keyboard.
After exploring trackpoint and handheld trackball options, I began to think that I woulldn’t find a hack to fit in the Atreus ‘wedge’ space without totally rebuilding the keyboard.  I really wanted the pointing device to be easily be removable and use its own USB connection, without modifying the keyboard.

I found eventually found a reference showing the Logitech Trackman Marble, which has a small format CCB under the ball and a separate CCB for the controller.  This looked promising.. the ball is larger than I would have liked, but the base is very small. 

Here it how it turned out:

I call it “Aerope”, after the wife of Atreus.  She was a very bad girl…
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:46:48 by skygazer »

Offline skygazer

Re: Aerope; a trackball for Atreus
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:39:35 »
Here is the trackball without the Atreus.  It just sits on top of the keyboard, and the ball just sits in the cup.  Note that I used some MX clears that were lying around, instead of the Logitech microswitches.

Here's a view of the bottom, showing wiring and the controller card.  I have since added some thin stick-on rubber feet, which keeps it from moving around on the keyboard.

Offline skygazer

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:54:22 »
Here are some construction details.  Since it is a standard Logitech Trackman, the standard Logitech drivers work (windows drivers are pretty good, Mac drivers suck.  I use USB Overdrive on my Mac).

I had to dremel away a lot of the cup to make room for the 'T' and 'Y' keys (or 'Y' and 'F' keys in Dvorak).  It is still a little cramped, but I can live with it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 22:01:11 »
That looks good. Does the ball stay in place pretty well?

Offline skygazer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 01:13:36 »
I type with the keyboard in my lap.  My only problem with the ball falling out happens when I lean forward too much, or inadvertently tip the keyboard taking it on or off of my lap.
That said, I haven't had to chase the ball across the room in over a week now :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:00:10 »
I'd only had to chase my trackman marble ball a few times after cleaning the sensor  :)) nice

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 22:25:10 »
This is great!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:06:00 »
If this were mass produced I would buy this so god damn hard

Offline Bucake

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:43:15 »
damnnn, that's awesome
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 07:42:36 »
Amazing. This really makes me consider getting away from aircraft carrier keyboards. I am truly impressed.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"