Author Topic: Sit-stand desks  (Read 23915 times)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
Sit-stand desks
« on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:17:06 »
Anyone using them?

I found a discussion about them on Slashdot and it piqued my interest:
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/12/09/06/1634246/ask-slashdot-whats-your-take-on-stand-up-desks
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sit-stand desks
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:25:18 »
Without a proper setup a standing desk is just painful.  For a proper setup you really want a negative tilt keyboard tray.  You need to have the monitor at the right height and also negatively tilted.  Swapping back and forth between sitting and standing can be a pain if the height/angle of the keyboard tray and monitor aren't adjustable enough to suit both situations.

Personally I think a good adjustable sitting setup with a really good chair and proper breaks (walking, stretching, ...) is far better than back and forth between sitting and standing at a desk.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:44:26 »
I have an adjustable desk, and I love it.  I swap back and forth a few times each day, typically.  Don't know much about negative tilt peripherals though.

Offline Burz

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 16:34:08 »
I have an adjustable desk, and I love it.  I swap back and forth a few times each day, typically.
Is it motorized? All of the ones I've seen operate the lift with an electric motor; would be cool to see one that's manual.

Seems there are sit-stand chairs, too:
:)
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline khamer

• http://becauserobots.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 17:41:46 »
I have a motorized desk from GeekDesk: http://www.geekdesk.com/

I usually stand late morning and mid afternoon for a few hours each. Some people use trays, but I don't, but I also like to keep the top edge of the monitors just below my eye line, so everything is lower than most people might. I also like to rest forearms on the desk itself, and tend to have the keyboard itself pushed back to near the monitor stand. (Using a tenkeyless leopold with blacks.)

We have aeron chairs, but I still enjoy standing mostly because it the change of perspective seems to felt refocus, and it is much easier to collaborate with someone else over my shoulder when we're both standing. I'd say, 75% of my office has these kinds of desks, so everyone is pretty comfortable standing or sitting.

We have one person left (and had more) who has a tall desk with a nice tall stool with backing (or whatever you'd call it.) I did try that as well, and it was fine too, but I have a tendency to try to lean back and chairs, and just barely caught myself a couple times trying to lean back in the stool...

Offline Tracer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:36:15 »
I've had this setup for about 8 months now. We have telescoping desks at work.
I have no idea what alaricljs is talking about, but if you have your keyboard and monitor setup properly for sitting, then there is absolutely no issue when standing. T

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 21:49:44 »
Without a proper setup a standing desk is just painful.  For a proper setup you really want a negative tilt keyboard tray.  You need to have the monitor at the right height and also negatively tilted.  Swapping back and forth between sitting and standing can be a pain if the height/angle of the keyboard tray and monitor aren't adjustable enough to suit both situations.

Personally I think a good adjustable sitting setup with a really good chair and proper breaks (walking, stretching, ...) is far better than back and forth between sitting and standing at a desk.

I have my trackball at a negative angle (A pretty steep one, too.) by propping the back edge up on a Powermac G5 fan. (which is PBT.) but my Keyboard is at a "normal" angle. I float my hands over it though, so they're pretty flat. I don't get any pain.

The monitor is tilted back, but only about 5 degrees if that. I keep it about 90 degrees, and the top is level with my eyes. It's set back a bit, which works out well.

I don't think negative keyboard tilt is required for a standing desk. It certainly os for a mouse or trackball, though. They can be really painful! I used to use my mouse in an "odd" position, with the heel of my hard on it, Left click with thumb. It was tolerable, but not great.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 01:57:11 »
Is this part of, the workout while you work deal'ee'oh  :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 05:56:37 »
Personally I have a slightly crook back, and if I stand for more than about 20 minutes it tends to seize up, and I cannot bend for about a week or more afterwards, consequently I sit quite a lot.

We have had the occasional stand up meeting at work, where everyone clusters around a suitably sized open space and says their bit, and those meetings do tend to go quicker and be more productive than a sit down meeting, but whether that has anything to do with the dynamics of standing rather than just everyone wanting to sit down again is probably off topic.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 00:37:53 »
i flirted with a standing desk and then a stand-sit thing a couple years ago, but found that i pace so much there was no need for the stand-and-work thing. however, there is a guy with a walking desk (literally, a treadmill and a standing desk) upstairs. imo that has a lot more potential.

the other "a la mode" desk thing i've tried is sitting on a gym ball. that i was more positive on, but i also had a tendency to get distracted bouncing on it for fun like a toddler, so it didn't work out so well for other reasons.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 15:18:42 »
i flirted with a standing desk and then a stand-sit thing a couple years ago, but found that i pace so much there was no need for the stand-and-work thing. however, there is a guy with a walking desk (literally, a treadmill and a standing desk) upstairs. imo that has a lot more potential.

the other "a la mode" desk thing i've tried is sitting on a gym ball. that i was more positive on, but i also had a tendency to get distracted bouncing on it for fun like a toddler, so it didn't work out so well for other reasons.

One of the guys at work had such a ball and I tried it once, but I found I was struggling to keep my balance.

I also tried one of those chairs that you sort of kneel on, but found that I more often put me feet on the knee pad and hunched forwards, which is probably not a good thing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 17:55:50 »

One of the guys at work had such a ball and I tried it once, but I found I was struggling to keep my balance.

I also tried one of those chairs that you sort of kneel on, but found that I more often put me feet on the knee pad and hunched forwards, which is probably not a good thing.
I am sure it would be easier to balance with a lower-pressure ball. Have you tried taking air out? I don't have trouble with balance, so maybe I should try using a ball for when I game or watch movies. Hmm. Anyone know where to get one for pretty cheap?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 18:39:53 »

I am sure it would be easier to balance with a lower-pressure ball. Have you tried taking air out? I don't have trouble with balance, so maybe I should try using a ball for when I game or watch movies. Hmm. Anyone know where to get one for pretty cheap?

It's not my ball.

FWIW the guy it belongs to doesn't use it much either.

Offline whiskerBox

Sit-stand desks
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 19:21:19 »
Man after seeing hashes sick setup I put in a request for one at work and they flat out said no. Too funny
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 09:57:03 »

target, amazon?

for the other dude, the fact that it's hard to balance is good, as it means it will work your core to sit on it :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 15:14:20 »
for the other dude, the fact that it's hard to balance is good, as it means it will work your core to sit on it :D

Do keep in mind that 8 hours of constant stress on your core can lead to injuries. Balls are a good chair alternative for "sometimes" use, but you should still be using a good chair for most of the time.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:23:48 »

Do keep in mind that 8 hours of constant stress on your core can lead to injuries. Balls are a good chair alternative for "sometimes" use, but you should still be using a good chair for most of the time.
Would this also be the case for (or against) standing?

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:54:30 »
I have built myself a standing desk for at home and I am now in favor of "some standing". :)
It is quite tiring and I don't think I could do it for an entire day. It is quite pleasant to mix things up a little, though.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 11:29:03 »
Yes there is a case against *just* standing there for 8 or more hours.  Basically we were built to not do any one thing for long periods of time.  You need to move around one way or the other whether you've been sitting or standing there.  If you've been standing you also need to sit some too.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 11:31:24 »
absyrd would like this desk for his back issues :)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Burz

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 18:08:12 »
Cornell's ergonomics lab thinks sit-stand desks are ineffective:

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/CUESitStand.html

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 22:40:17 »
Cornell's ergonomics lab thinks sit-stand desks are ineffective:

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/CUESitStand.html

They also say "it dramatically increases the risks of carotid atherosclerosis (ninefold) because of the additional load on the circulatory system"

Working out also increases the load on the circulatory system, but I doubt I'm in danger of stroke.

Offline harrison

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 10:02:24 »
so, after having to move again, I've lost my office.  I need to use my workbench, which is lab-bench height for working while standing.  The problem, is that I never intended to be using a computer on this bench, and I'm not really prepared to be 'standing' at it during my leisure time.  I'd like to get a lab-height task chair that i can use at this bench when on my computer.  Is there any way to get my hands on a lab-height task chair that's not going to be uncomfortable without spending  2-300 bucks?  I'm only going to be without an office for 1 year.
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline Burz

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 12:21:02 »
Is there any way to get my hands on a lab-height task chair that's not going to be uncomfortable without spending  2-300 bucks?  I'm only going to be without an office for 1 year.
These are too expensive for you, but interesting nonetheless:

If you search on "drafting chair" on Google you'll see some economical options (Walmart has one for less than $60).

Offline harrison

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 14:13:11 »
of course... 'lab' chairs are going to be more expensive, and i get that... but didn't think of other possible search terms.

thanks!
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline hoggy

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 14:32:53 »
I have built myself a standing desk for at home and I am now in favor of "some standing". :)
It is quite tiring and I don't think I could do it for an entire day. It is quite pleasant to mix things up a little, though.

I got a antifatique mat pretty quickly after getting my sit/stand setup.  Really worthwhile.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Parak

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:55:50 »
I got an anthro a while back (predates my foray into the keyboard world!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/13176014@N03/sets/72157623592317745

The whole thing was one of my better investments at the time, even if I don't use the standing mode that often. The tiltable and adjustable huge main surface is just awesome.

Offline Norman

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 03:10:20 »
Is it motorized? All of the ones I've seen operate the lift with an electric motor; would be cool to see one that's manual.

I have one - a manualy operated sit-stand desk: Decart Ergo with adjustable angle front top segment.

And does not cost much - USD 500..

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 03:26:24 »
What does "manually operated" mean? Like those air pressure things in chairs?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Burz

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 05:12:02 »

I have one - a manualy operated sit-stand desk: Decart Ergo with adjustable angle front top segment.
Show Image

And does not cost much - USD 500..

Oh, that's interesting... Thank you Norman and welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Norman

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 05:40:27 »
What does "manually operated" mean? Like those air pressure things in chairs?

I supose there are several approaches how to make the top go up and down, but for the one shown on the picture the lifting device is "blockable gas spring" -  the "air pressure thing" same as in office chairs.

Oh, that's interesting... Thank you Norman and welcome to Geekhack!

Your are welcome and thanks. :)

This is my second sit-stand desk the first one was not that "ergonomic":
Show Image

but served fairly 3 years and would served another 30 but I needed something more comfortable :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 06:07:38 by Norman »

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:03:57 »
So any chance you know who sells it?  Googling Decart Ergo is useless unless you're into latin even with desk thrown in.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Norman

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:16:37 »
So any chance you know who sells it?  Googling Decart Ergo is useless unless you're into latin even with desk thrown in.

Well, might be disappointing for some of the users as it is produced in Ukraine (or Russia). Overseas shipment might cost quite a lot - up to half of the desk cost.

The full name is Decart 395 Ergo: http://mensa.in.ua/node/52/. Sorry but the site is in Russian only, so far, hope shall be improved in future.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:19:39 »
Seems that would go well with the Polish chair I've been drooling on...

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Norman

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:32:19 »
The chair looks great. I doubt any table is required at all :) in this case.

The only problem with chair - you shall spent too much time in same sit position, even comfortable but still sitting.

Also in the video you may notice that the 4 "ray" base of the chair is not that convinient when the guy spins / rotates the chair. Although I assume I might be at fault in this respect.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 08:35:43 »
Given that I already sit far too much and it's not all that comfy, a comfy chair would be an upgrade.  I'd likely have to lose the arms and the laptop/keyboard arrangement too.  Mostly I just need a comfortable chair that reclines properly, the foot rest is a nice bonus. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Norman

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 09:40:42 »
By the way there is a short survey on sit-stand desks that anyone can fill-in to express his/her opinnion:

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2bnutV8pfDKr0HP

results:
https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/CP/Report.php?RP=RP_8Gq7q2mijwpSv3L
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 09:48:14 by Norman »

Offline TheShining

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 16:17:52 »
I don't use one, but I really like the concept and want one.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 08:52:51 »
I stand at work and have a high stool to sit on when I get tired of standing. I started to do this because my back was hurting all the time. So I raised my desk.

There is a growing body of evidence about the health effects of sitting all day at work. The human body is not meant to sit all, nor is it built to stand all day.  We need a variety of movements during the workday. All this in addition to regular exercise and eating healthy. And it's not so much about extending your life a few years with standing or sitting. It's about improving your day-to-day enjoyment of our dreary existence by having the opportunity to move around some more at your workstation.  I couldn't care less whether i'm in a wheelchair at 80 or 85. i want feel good during my productive years and a standing desk with a tall stool helps me that. The most comfortable chair on the planet does not replace the fact we need to move around during the day.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:33:55 »
Yes there is a case against *just* standing there for 8 or more hours.  Basically we were built to not do any one thing for long periods of time.  You need to move around one way or the other whether you've been sitting or standing there.  If you've been standing you also need to sit some too.
+99999999999999999
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:16:12 »
Manually adjustable can also mean it's on a crank. I've been looking for a good sit-stand desk for awhile, but I can't spend more than $500, so I've been pretty well out of luck..
40% layout, anyone?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:15:33 »
If you have a desk or slab door to cannibalize, you could try finding someone that's got Gibraltar mySIZE adjustable desk legs...

Unfortunately this and this were the only things I found.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 11:16:43 »
I just use my desk for different purposes. I sit while watching videos or gaming, and I stand when foruming, typing or browsing the web. I make sure to alternate. I also sit in a different chair when reading. Shifting around really helps.

So, using my "super cheap" strategies, I have a pile of old computers, and my CRT monitor and laptop are at the top for standing. Next to that I have my other CRT for the other computer. If you do have two monitors and a desk, you can get a VGA switchbox to change to the "sitting" monitor, then just sit in the chair when you want to sit down. Having a second keyboard/mouse is also needed (You can leave them plugged in, or switch with a KVM.)

I like standing, and I shift around a lot. It's also good when my room-mate bothers me with whatever: I don't have to look up at him.

Offline Norman

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 08:00:30 »
А new one from Ukrainian designers (mensa.in.ua):

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 08:09:55 »
I'll be using an architects drawing board, a bit like one of these.  I've got a double A0 board (that is, it's 2900mm long rather than the 1500mm of conventional A0!) that's just waiting for me to finish designing and then building my office...

Offline chel-

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 22:30:41 »
I have an ikea standing desk right here beside my main desk and I'm using it for shelving... I tried to stand for a couple days and honestly I couldn’t do it without a chair and mat.  I'd give it another try but I can't seem to find a cheap stool that would be tall enough. If I had the cash I'd order one of those nice Anthro desks.

I remember trying to play a fps game while standing and it was one of the strangest gaming experiences I've had. I also recall avoiding the computer just so I could sit down lol.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:15:09 by chel- »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Stupid or Awesome Desk?
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 10:42:49 »
So I was dreaming about getting a new desk, and stumbled upon this desk, called the 'NeThrone' (portmaneau of 'Net and Throne') and it looks ... not like a standing desk or a sitting desk. More like a recumbent desk!

It's 2k clams and looks like a dentist's chair.

http://www.nethrone.com/index.aspx?ItemID=8&p=nethrone-classic#

If money were no object I might consider getting one, but ... how would something like this even work? I mean, where do I put my binders, my other stuff? It's cool, but I don't know how practical it is.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 11:05:26 »
It's not a desk at all, it's a computer workstation.  It's sole purpose is for you to be comfy while working on your PC.  If you actually need a *desk* then this is not what you're looking for. 

My setup currently is a standard height table-top desk (this means no under desk drawers/storage).  Behind me is the rolling 3drawer cabinet that would normally be incorporated as part of the desk and then an Ikea 6 drawer dresser with storage bins in the drawers.

This is in the style of my desk:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116653/#/10116651
This sort of thing is the 3 drawer:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40206438/
Then this is the exact dresser:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20129592/

Works out well, but I am still working toward a better chair and an adjustable height desk.  I'm likely to go with a Geekdesk frame and use my current desktop.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline philpirj

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 16:26:54 »
I recently bought a ESI 370 arm, total $220 with platform. It's rock solid and can handle all your body weight. You can use it while sitting or standing. Pretty nice overall. Unfortunately my table isn't large enough to use full glide track. You can put a full-sized keyboard and a mouse on it. Pretty sure tenkeyless plus a mouse pad will fit on a main platform surface when mouse subplatform is fold.

Now i need a better monitor stand, since it's too low when standing (though it can slide ~15 inches up).

Offline minnus

Re: Stupid or Awesome Desk?
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 22:06:06 »
So I was dreaming about getting a new desk, and stumbled upon this desk, called the 'NeThrone' (portmaneau of 'Net and Throne') and it looks ... not like a standing desk or a sitting desk. More like a recumbent desk!

(Attachment Link)

It's 2k clams and looks like a dentist's chair.

http://www.nethrone.com/index.aspx?ItemID=8&p=nethrone-classic#

If money were no object I might consider getting one, but ... how would something like this even work? I mean, where do I put my binders, my other stuff? It's cool, but I don't know how practical it is.

If it was more practical, it would be so awesome...thanks for sharing!

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 08:14:51 »
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a geekdesk v3.  Anyone have any experience with this desk?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 02 January 2013, 23:12:27 »
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a geekdesk v3.  Anyone have any experience with this desk?

I have the v2 small frame and it's very nice. I went frame only and bought a solid maple butchers block counter top for my desk top. My total end cost was cheaper as a result, and the surface is better than the ones they ship. This is an improvement over a ghettofied keyboard stand + wood + blah setup that was not adjustable at all. I will never not have a Sit/Stand desk if I can help it.

I raise and lower the desk about 2-3 times a day, and have been doing so for maybe 7 months now with no problems (not only problem free, but joy-full)

To be completely functional, I think you need a monitor arm and keyboard tray. My setup has the ergotron with 27" apple display and humanscale 4G (holding my Kinesis / Filco TKL, and the Evoluent / Slimblade Trackball). I do about 50/50 sit stand  (for a  variety of reasons, i'm willing to discuss, but will leave this reply short and sweet!).

I'm "tall-ish" just over 6'3", and can achieve ideal conditions with this setup. The desk and components easily adjust for my 5'4" wife as well.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 01:19:39 »
lol my ikea mikael (not sit stand) is starting to flex and crack and will break completely if i continue to lean on it lol

so...... i'm thinking of getting a Geek Desk, I work mostly from home unless i'm traveling to company offices, i sit like 12+ hours a day usually 6 days a week if you count also video games and other non-work stuff is done at the same desk. I think standing part of my work day would benefit me.

Offline Norman

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:09:37 »
Just a funny picture for sit-stand fans:

25072-0