Author Topic: AMD computing stuff future build advice  (Read 3277 times)

Offline fanpeople

AMD computing stuff future build advice
« on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:03:42 »
So my wife pretty much gave me permission to put together another computer. Catch is it is for her. Now I have always gone down the Intel road because Intel but I kinda want to keep this as economic as possible so to speak. From memory AMD stuff is a bit cheaper?

We are talking facebook usage and maybe playing some Sims or some dumbass **** like that, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what CPU I should be looking at.

The motherboard that I would like to use is....

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic Motherboard

This is purely a colour choice as it will be going into a Caselabs s5 white case and my wife seems to like colour coordination as opposed to scores on Passmark.

I would like to get similar performance to i3/i5 not specific yet but need a bit of longevity in the system.

Ram...

Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Yet again purely colour choice and it is available from the same source to keep postage down.

Also if anyone wants to suggest a white theme GPU and/or PSU I would really appreciate it...

Kinda swinging to Seasonic for a PSU as they have a white edition and  I am up Seasonic's ass when it comes to PSUs, but they are a bit on the pricy end.

Going to be honest here, I am mainly in this to do a bit of cable sleeving..... any input would be valued highly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: AMD computing stuff future build advice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:28:07 »
If it were Tp4's wife.. (hahahahahhaa.. I know, you're all laughing at Tp4,  but heck,  HYPOTHETICAL PEOPLE, Hypothetical)

Anyway, I wouldn't bother, because for you to go through, coordinate, do all this work,  she's only gonna use it for facebook right?

So, what I'd do is, Get a Fully covered white case, so you don't need to coordinate the internals.

Then buy one of those  intel 6700 prebuilt Dells for $600,  take everything out,  put it in the white case,   call it a day..

All that time you save,  you could go be drunk..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:34:50 »
If it were Tp4's wife.. (hahahahahhaa.. I know, you're all laughing at Tp4,  but heck,  HYPOTHETICAL PEOPLE)

Anyway, I wouldn't bother, because for you to go through, coordinate, do all this work,  she's only gonna use it for facebook right?

So, what I'd do is, Get a Fully covered white case, so you don't need to coordinate the internals.

Then buy one of those  intel 6700 prebuilt Dells for $600,  take everything out,  put it in the white case,   call it a day..

All that time you save,  you could go be drunk..

Ok well the Caselabs s5 is second hand and for a pretty good price so it already has windows. I like sleeving and making things pretty but my computer is on beatification hold until I upgrade. I pretty much just want to own the case (I have a thing for Caselabs ****) but I need a reason to buy it and my wife was complaining about not having a desktop anymore. So everything has fallen into place.

I want to put effort into the build because I enjoy the process, I couldn't give a toss if she uses it as a bookshelf stopper after that.

But I know one day ima want that case for my computer but before that happens, its going to have to spend some time as a farmville machine.

Also I want to use it when I am at that house, I may want to play some games.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:35:14 »
Here's the alternative..

10 hours research

10 hours online shopping

5 hours labor

10 hours overclocking,      1 hour (if you're Tp4's level)

Broken up, this is 4 to 5 days worth of your free time..

Now,  the extra cost of getting all the stuff together.

Case, $100
Psu, $50
Cpu, $300
Gpu, $300
Ram, $100
Cooler, $60
SSD, $100

$900 + 35 hours

If you make $30 an hour,   that's 30 hours + 35 labor..

Idk what shipping and tax is in australia but let's make that an even 70hours of everything..

What's the end result... wife gets to troll family members you don't know or don't need to know, or care to even know.. 

OR

Get drunk.. Post on Geekhack

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:36:20 »
Lol I just realised that I wrote beatification as opposed to beautification... meh I think beatification works too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:39:34 »
Well if you're doing this for yourself..  under the guise of doing it for female.. Then.............

Intel z270,  + 7700k.  ..  I honestly wouldn't get matx , it's a serious hassle down the line.. But you do you.. Tp4 supports your decisions..

Everything else makes little difference on performance..

Either buy the 1080ti now, or wait for Vega..   I'd wait for vega..

Don't overspend on PSU, it' plain doesn't matter..
Don't overspend on cpu cooler..  just get the $20 120mm tower ones..   

DELID, you have to do this,   you will also need liquid ultra thermal paste. after you delid

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:39:45 »
Here's the alternative..

10 hours research

10 hours online shopping

5 hours labor

10 hours overclocking,      1 hour (if you're Tp4's level)

Broken up, this is 4 to 5 days worth of your free time..

Now,  the extra cost of getting all the stuff together.

Case, $100
Psu, $50
Cpu, $300
Gpu, $300
Ram, $100
Cooler, $60
SSD, $100

$900 + 35 hours

If you make $30 an hour,   that's 30 hours + 35 labor..

Idk what shipping and tax is in australia but let's make that an even 70hours of everything..

What's the end result... wife gets to troll family members you don't know or don't need to know, or care to even know.. 

OR

Get drunk.. Post on Geekhack

I WANT THAT ****ING COMPUTER CASE SO BAD I WOULD SUCK A HOMELESS GUY OFF OUT THE BACK OF MCDONALDS JUST AFTER ALL THE FOOD HAD BEEN THROWN OUT IN PREPERATION FOR CLOSING TIME>

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:41:36 »
Well if you're doing this for yourself..  under the guise of doing it for female.. Then.............

Intel z270,  + 7700k.  ..  I honestly wouldn't get matx , it's a serious hassle down the line.. But you do you.. Tp4 supports your decisions..

Everything else makes little difference on performance..

Either buy the 1080ti now, or wait for Vega..   I'd wait for vega..

Don't overspend on PSU, it' plain doesn't matter..
Don't overspend on cpu cooler..  just get the $20 120mm tower ones..   

DELID, you have to do this,   you will also need liquid ultra thermal paste. after you delid

You pretty much outlined what I want to upgrade to lol, I am a fan of matx have had one for past 7 years and never really made me regret buying it.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 00:37:30 »
perfect to amd 1600x

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 00:54:57 »
perfect to amd 1600x

sweet ill check it out thanks for replying

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:40:45 »
So my wife pretty much gave me permission to put together another computer. Catch is it is for her. Now I have always gone down the Intel road because Intel but I kinda want to keep this as economic as possible so to speak. From memory AMD stuff is a bit cheaper?

We are talking facebook usage and maybe playing some Sims or some dumbass **** like that, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what CPU I should be looking at.
WAIT... STOP. HOLD UP...
This is for HER, not you. You are trying to build yourself a system, and make it fit her.

My advice... She doesn't need anything killer...
I5, low end non overclocking with a Gigabyte or Asus H270 ITX board.
No need for a Z series, though I LOVE the Gigabyte gaming ITX line! M.2 NVME, Wifi and bluetooth are built in. I LOOOVE mine.

Get her a small Mini ITX box she can hide behind the monitor.
Don't sleeve it, or make it some 2 month long project, just make sure it's reliable (I.E. don't mess with it), QUIET (!), pleasing to HER eye (or small), box it up and leave it alone.

I know you see this as an opportunity to play, but I'm sure you know this by now... Do it how she really would want it and you will reap the rewards later.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:36:28 »

WAIT... STOP. HOLD UP...
This is for HER, not you. You are trying to build yourself a system, and make it fit her.

No need for a Z series, though I LOVE the Gigabyte gaming ITX line! M.2 NVME, Wifi and bluetooth are built in. I LOOOVE mine.

Don't sleeve it, or make it some 2 month long project, just make sure it's reliable (I.E. don't mess with it), QUIET (!), pleasing to HER eye (or small), box it up and leave it alone.

I know you see this as an opportunity to play, but I'm sure you know this by now... Do it how she really would want it and you will reap the rewards later.

she saw my caselabs bh7 sleeved build and said I WANT ONE LIKE THAT, she likes the sleeved look and i let her choose the colours. Shes not interested in small stuff, shes never had a desktop, always laptops and finally said big ass box time.

mobo im looking at is b350 and not going to oc it

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:49:23 »
oh the equilivant 1151 board is a h270

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 23:32:12 »
wife = ridiculous..  this stuff costs money.. hahahahahahhaha

But i guess that's marriage for ya..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 23:53:18 »

WAIT... STOP. HOLD UP...

she saw my caselabs bh7 sleeved build and said I WANT ONE LIKE THAT, she likes the sleeved look and i let her choose the colours. Shes not interested in small stuff, shes never had a desktop, always laptops and finally said big ass box time.

Now we knwo why you married her!
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:07:29 »

NOICE!
I wish my wife would've used the big ass box I built for her. But she's all about laptops. *sigh*
Although I got permission to use it as a server. So there is that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:33:56 »

Now we knwo why you married her!

mmm...

What was that old joke,  where the guy merely chose the female with the largest chest after giving a set of females $5000 to do whatever with..

Something something..   

knowing -fanpeople-  it was probably less computer related than we think..    hahahaahahhhahahahahaa