Author Topic: Videos comparing any of the custom keyboards to commercially produced models?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline RedBullDeath

So after lurking here for a bit and just admiring all the amazing keyboards you all design and build, I am pretty close to getting my first custom board. Most likely from one of the future group buys. I was wondering if anyone had a video comparing any of the popular custom keyboards like the (Otd, Duck, Kmac, LZ, Fjell, etc...) to any of the popular commercial keyboards made by companies like Logitech or Corsair.

I understand that a majority of the allure in these custom keyboards is the customization they allow, the exclusivity of these keyboards, and the passion for building the kits from scratch into something that is "one of a kind". Also, unless I am mistaken there is very little if any gain in "performance"/capability between commercially available mech keyboards and the custom ones. The only thing I've been able to gather that would be considered an advantage is the ability to map the keys however you see fit instead of being limited to whatever the commercial board allows plus a few macro keys possibly.

That being said I feel like a video comparing them might help me decide if I want to sink ~$500+ into one of these boards. I currently am using a Ducky One 2 keyboard that was given to me by a friend. So if any of you have personal experience with this keyboard and any of the custom ones what are some differences you would note?

This hobby has really caught my interest and i'm learning more and more as I scroll through old posts. If I have missed any major detail, or anything I said above is wrong please correct me (and possibly link a post that would shed some more light on the topic).

Cheers
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 23:14:56 by RedBullDeath »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Correct, performance-wise, there is no difference given the same switch, and similar construction.
The real differences are subtle and down to user preference and or styling and you can even do a lot with reprograming in software, ignoring the keyboard firmware.

When I built my Filco the idea was to replicate a KMAC but with easy to find, easier to replace parts in case something failed. Not sure I saved a whole lot of money, but I can replace anything in it it a whole lot easier. Is it as cool? Probably not to most, but at the same time, it's one of a kind and works amazingly well. You already have a good board, there's really not a lot of room to go up from there other than specific features. It's not going to be revolutionary or last longer, you will just get a more "premium" feel.

I put premium in quotes for a reason, there is quite an argument to be made that plastic cases are better. Besides the whole perception of it being better (such a pretty Iphone you have, shame you need a crappy rubber case to protect it!), aluminum has some serious downsides people don't often mention. It's cold to the touch, it can damage your desk, and believe it or not, shock the sh*t out of you if there is a lot of static electricity around.  I have 2 aluminum keyboards, and while I like them, they are not any better at typing than the others, they just look nicer and have a heavy price tag.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
You know how the less intelligent middle class people buy those budget mercedes and get stuck in lower-middle class forever ?

That is the same story with custom aluminum keyboards are..

Offline wodan

I don't think there is a good way to bring the differences between a good custom and a retail board across on video.

All you are going to get is people saying the things in the video that they would normally be writing on GH, describing how they perceive the differences between the two.

Another important point about custom kits is that they are better judged by their POTENTIAL. Getting a top class custom kit doesn't equal a great typing experience or being able to experience the things someone on Youtube talked about. You have to pick the components well (plate, switches, stabilizers, lube, springs, additional modding) and then do a worthy build job in order to achieve your personal idea of a great keyboard.

And that's another big point about customs. You really have to know what you are looking for. There isn't something like a fallback or default custom to get in case you're uncertain. Find out what switches, spring weights and type feeling float your boat and then pick your fav layout and find a custom kit that ticks all your boxes and then build it to your preference.

Take other peoples opinions and preferences as an inspiration but don't look for THE right opinion to take over. Form your own, build your own.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
I don't think there is a good way to bring the differences between a good custom and a retail board across on video.
All you are going to get is people saying the things in the video that they would normally be writing on GH, describing how they perceive the differences between the two.
Exactly, other than how it looks, nothing else will translate any better. You can say how it sounds, but most people have NO IDEA how much audio equipment alters sound*, so the only way to really compare would be side by side under similar conditions, and even then the video is only going to show how they differ, not necessarily an accurate sound. Chryosran is good for this because he can pull up other switches to compare to, and hopefully you know them and can kind of infer the sound, but it;s not entirely accurate, there's just no way for it to be by the time it exits your speakers.

*Most people would be shocked at how radio DJ's actually sound in person, you honestly would hardly recognize the voice.

Another important point about custom kits is that they are better judged by their POTENTIAL. Getting a top class custom kit doesn't equal a great typing experience or being able to experience the things someone on Youtube talked about. You have to pick the components well (plate, switches, stabilizers, lube, springs, additional modding) and then do a worthy build job in order to achieve your personal idea of a great keyboard.
Other than the plate, everything you just described can be done to any $30 mx based keyboard on Amazon and probably end up with almost the exact same typing feel for 1/5th to 1/10th the cost.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion