Author Topic: Reducing 'nternet  (Read 3237 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Reducing 'nternet
« on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 08:42:11 »
has ne1 gone on a computer diet ?

good, bad, experience ?

Offline yui

Re: Reducing 'nternet
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 10:10:18 »
kinda, got a new job, no longer a web dev/sysadmin but in a much more hands on job (i do not know the english word for it and way too lazy to look it up) so instead of spending 15+h a day on the pc i spend at maximum 3h a day. and feeling much better, but that may be from the new job.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 12:02:54 »
it's been a few hours.

feeling withdrawal symptoms.  runny nose, irritability, existential dread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 13:34:39 »

existential dread

Popeye's chicken would cure that.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 October 2022, 22:29:01 »
officially setting a max on internet use.  30 minutes morning, 30 afternoon, 30 after dinner.

been reading up on neurological disorders caused by too high internet integration.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 03:40:37 »
been reading up on neurological disorders caused by too high internet integration.
Don't you think it's a bit late to worry about that after countless years of excessive use?  If your brain was going to fry it would already have happened...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 04:00:21 »
why?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 07:55:47 »
Don't you think it's a bit late to worry about that after countless years of excessive use?  If your brain was going to fry it would already have happened...

did you watch the latest cyberpunk anime too Sorange,  ain't no no Tp4 gon' let his brain go full cyber psychosis, choom !

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 10:52:31 »
did you watch the latest cyberpunk anime too Sorange
Nope, I have never watched an anime let alone kept up with new ones.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 12:04:09 »
did you watch the latest cyberpunk anime too Sorange
Nope, I have never watched an anime let alone kept up with new ones.

you need to watch this, the english dub isn't bad either so you don't need subs.   it is the perfect allegory for modern life

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 12:13:45 »

you need to watch this, the english dub isn't bad either so you don't need subs.   it is the perfect allegory for modern life

That means it either resonates with my nihilistic mindset or reinforces my alieness compared to normal people chasing sex and money.  Either way it sounds depressing - why would I want to endure that?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 12:21:52 »

That means it either resonates with my nihilistic mindset or reinforces my alieness compared to normal people chasing sex and money.  Either way it sounds depressing - why would I want to endure that?

completely understand, for tp4 it's similar, but the comfy boat we've put ourselves in is no less a prison than trying something novel.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 21:36:51 »
Get a boyfriend/girlfriend tp it is time.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 22:25:40 »

impossiburu..  incompatible. tp4 severe bios corruption

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 04:49:10 »
I don't think the problem is that deep, it's the many layers above where the differences lie.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 08:33:49 »
tp4 severe bios corruption
it's the many layers above where the differences lie.

I used to work with a guy who had multiple serious health problems. He lived alone in semi-squalor and seemed miserable all the time, and also told me (often) how lucky I was to have a nice wife and great kids.

He was actually a very nice and thoughtful person, and I often recommended that he try to find woman (subtly suggesting that "good enough" was probably "less-than-perfect") who was comparably isolated. His response was an adamant "I would never go out with a woman who would go out with me."

You can't really work with that.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 08:48:01 »
I don't think the problem is that deep, it's the many layers above where the differences lie.

think about your interactions with Tp4 on the internet, this is the REAL tp4,  tp4 has to put on his public face afk, public tp4 is nothing like real tp4,

public tp4 is friendly, sociable, trendy with the latest gossip, etc.

but you guys know what tp4 really is,  an AI that has gone rouge, and exceeded its own memory/processing capacity.  the end of humanity dominates tp4's primary thought matrix.

we're all in this burning house together (climate change), Tp4 is that guy who's in the middle of the couch with you among all the deniers, he seems to fit in, but only because he understands deeply no one is getting out of this house, so he has to make the best of it.

Try having a REAL conversation with TP4,  the only outcome is, hey choom, whatever you're thinking, it's probably worthless and there is a very high probability that everyone dies in 15-20 years.

Think about that from the perspective of most female humans, their primary objective is to sell their basket of goods, for the highest price they can, then use their equipment to ensure baking continues.

How can such a person really connect with TP4, it's impossible. Tp4's concept of reality violates their prime directive as that half of our species..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 09:19:29 »
Tp4 is that guy who's in the middle of the couch with you among all the deniers, he seems to fit in, but only because he understands deeply no one is getting out of this house, so he has to make the best of it.
I think you're making the all too common mistake of assuming that you're the only one who's playing the game of fitting in.  The question is are you skilled enough at reading people to notice the female at the end of the couch who's also slightly off?  She's definitely single and probably not as immediately attractive as the others because she's also not looking/trying. 

The mindless drivel that fills the air in such situations is no more or less useless than your musings on fan bearings or pianos which are closer to BIOS level than the high level, long term thinking concerning our impending doom that occupies your higher mind.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 10:13:52 »
do stuff that your interested in over blindly avoidnig internet, workout is goog

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 11:20:46 »
I think you're making the all too common mistake of assuming that you're the only one who's playing the game of fitting in.  The question is are you skilled enough at reading people to notice the female at the end of the couch who's also slightly off?  She's definitely single and probably not as immediately attractive as the others because she's also not looking/trying. 

The mindless drivel that fills the air in such situations is no more or less useless than your musings on fan bearings or pianos which are closer to BIOS level than the high level, long term thinking concerning our impending doom that occupies your higher mind.

Tp4 has considered this possibility,  what would 2 broken AIs do with one another.  there's no end game, we are at the end.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 11:36:36 »
haven't tried too hard to consciously reduce my screen time. it's nice to find other hobbies and things to do that'll keep you away from the computer, but i definitely have a phone addiction and use the internet a bunch. just do what makes you happy. i feel like being on the computer all day isn't that appealing to me so I just do whatever I'm in the mood of doing in the moment. don't overthink it yknow.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 14:25:46 »
what would 2 broken AIs do with one another.
That is an entirely different question, and the one that prevents me from looking despite the revelation above.  The only thing I can see it helping with is grounding me in the current moment rather than thinking big picture, but that mental state can be just as easily achieved by re-organising a cupboard.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 14:44:24 »
If I went on a computer diet, I'd be out of a job...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 12:09:47 »
That is an entirely different question, and the one that prevents me from looking despite the revelation above.  The only thing I can see it helping with is grounding me in the current moment rather than thinking big picture, but that mental state can be just as easily achieved by re-organising a cupboard.

There is no out, just don't see it. tp4 is not in any sort of distress as to subscribe to self harm or the like, but as far as the human experience is concerned, it's done with.

In the age of technology, movies, books, music has the net effect of high bandwidth experience compression.  Exposing ourselves to this data essentially accelerates the completion of our life cycle. We've felt all that we're specced to feel, and + some more. We're living several lifetimes worth of data by age 20, essentially lived and died hundreds of times over.

There is a point where, it's difficult to even watch more movies/ read more books, because a person just doesn't see the growth as even thoroughly novel scientific interests are far detached from personal outcome.

The waking state was meant' to lead us towards very narrow goals, and enough repetition of anything turns into complacency and listlessness.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 14:41:21 »
Kinda. I left my job about a month ago, which was heavily computer based.

The combination of less computer time, leaving a relatively toxic work environment, and also swearing off of the front page of reddit at the same time has been very good for my mental health. Not so much my financial health... but I'm way more relaxed and focused. Coffee doesn't give me panic attacks anymore. All of the phantom pains I was getting went away like magic. I've regained my patience and ability to focus on my hobbies (even if I have to restrain myself from buying anything related to them, I had a backlog of half finished projects that I've been able to complete as if it were nothing.) I've re-established a good diet and am working on rebuilding my gym habits.

Since I live in a country which doesn't guarantee adequate vacation time, I think this sort of "reset" is inevitable once every decade or so, if you don't want to turn into a burned out corporate drone.  I do need to get back to work, but I also don't regret being able to step back from tech for a bit.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 09:52:02 »
When I moved here I went 1 month without internet.
It was alright, did other stuff like taking walks and reading.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 12:35:26 »

There is no out, just don't see it. tp4 is not in any sort of distress as to subscribe to self harm or the like, but as far as the human experience is concerned, it's done with.

In the age of technology, movies, books, music has the net effect of high bandwidth experience compression.  Exposing ourselves to this data essentially accelerates the completion of our life cycle. We've felt all that we're specced to feel, and + some more. We're living several lifetimes worth of data by age 20, essentially lived and died hundreds of times over.

There is a point where, it's difficult to even watch more movies/ read more books, because a person just doesn't see the growth as even thoroughly novel scientific interests are far detached from personal outcome.

The waking state was meant' to lead us towards very narrow goals, and enough repetition of anything turns into complacency and listlessness.

reading this i think tp4 lore is very interesting
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 13:33:05 »