Author Topic: Use -until Xplodez  (Read 1673 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Use -until Xplodez
« on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 07:36:04 »
Have been trying to xplodez my x220 laptop for years now, (in order to) justify purchasing a new laptop.

But it refuses to Die.. runs Smooth.. not skippn' a Beat

It also doesn't help that Tp4 Zinc plated the copper heatsink and used Liquid metal, so Tp4's x220 runs 15% c00ler than conventional x220 lappies.

At this rate, Tp4 will be using x220 well into 2025..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Use -until Xplodez
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 11:02:22 »
Install Gentoo, that'll fix that laptops pesky habit of outliving the warranty.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 13:27:44 »
Install Gentoo, that'll fix that laptops pesky habit of outliving the warranty.

I only remember win 10 cycling 100% cpu all the time,   still on win 7 on the lappie.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 September 2018, 20:03:23 »
Even without those mods, it's new enough to throttle if it gets too hot, and there is a pretty big buffer before you do serious damage to them due to heat. At any rate, why kill it, it's a fantastic machine for using when you want to try something new or before a major update on your main system.

If you need an excuse to upgrade, how about USB 3 or Type C, Sata3 or even better, NVME, HDMI, Display Port, Thunderbolt, 32GB of ram, MUCH better GPU, longer battery, better wifi, higher res screen with better color calibration... The X220 was an awesome laptop and had this been 3 years ago, fine, but now? It's getting long in the tooth. Really, really long. Honestly, my only concern with upgrading at this point would be the OS if you're using Windows.

Side note,
Win7 currently sits in the mid to high 30% range of Windows market share, once it drops below 30% expect hardware manufacturers to ignore it at exceedingly faster and faster rates even without MS pushing them to. I expect it to cross that mark 1st quarter of 2019 and that doesn't even take into account the holidays which always brings a surge of new systems. Lest you think Win8.1 is safe it's market share is already single digits, it's only saving grace is that it uses the same driver engine as Win10.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 17:29:55 »
Does the x220 have the same sound issue that the T420 does? The sound only works maybe 1 out of every 20 boots with a red X over the speaker icon because it can't even detect a sound chip and thus won't allow for driver un/re-installation because "no sound device detected". Even if it works, it will stop working if the computer hibernates or sleeps and is awoken. According to Google search, it's a common problem with no fix.

That's the only thing I don't like about this laptop. I got it like new refurbished for $200 2.5 years ago.

At least the x220 and T420 have good keyboards (with an actual nav cluster).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 17:34:09 »
Does the x220 have the same sound issue that the T420 does? The sound only works maybe 1 out of every 20 boots with a red X over the speaker icon because it can't even detect a sound chip and thus won't allow for driver un/re-installation because "no sound device detected". Even if it works, it will stop working if the computer hibernates or sleeps and is awoken. According to Google search, it's a common problem with no fix.

That's the only thing I don't like about this laptop. I got it like new refurbished for $200 2.5 years ago.

At least the x220 and T420 have good keyboards (with an actual nav cluster).

The x220 doesn't have that problem..

On the T420, my guess is that the motherboard has a flex somewhere which causes trace cracks..

But since it's a multilayer board, the only way to fix would be to look up the lenovo electrical diagrams..

This guy posted a fix here, says unsigned drivers in win 7, says to install xp drivers and works. ..

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-Windows-7-Pro-suddenly-no-audio-device-installed-Conexant/td-p/3333017

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 14:23:01 »
I'll keep using Windows 8.1 until Windows 10 dies. I hate it with a passion.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170