Author Topic: Geekhack Agar.io TEAM  (Read 119317 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Geekhack Agar.io TEAM
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 23:25:12 »
I can't seem to get much past 3,000 mass by myself. And so far all my attempts to join forces with a stranger have proven fruitless...

Joining strangers is hard..  basically anyone who's playing with a name like W= Team..

and as long as he's in the TOP 10,  his skill level should be OK-ish..

But Ramage and I both have unique names,  and we're among the highest tier of players..

So,  it's anyone's guess in the end..    There is always a risk with teaming up with a stranger..

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 23:25:34 »
I literally just started playing. Happy to mess around though.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 23:25:45 »
I usually dont have enough time to do good team play, but starting im September I'll have every Friday night free. Hopefully someone else will be around.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 23:26:33 »
I literally just started playing. Happy to mess around though.

PM  me ur skype, i will add you to list.. skype chat list

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:59:35 »
I'm always just happy to break top ten.  :)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:18:26 »
If anyone wants to get a real group together, a friend of mine figured out how to setup a private server, so we could have a GH only game, if anyone is interested (Sorry if someone has already thought that up and done it, I just thought I would suggest it, in case we want to do that!)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:23:03 »
If anyone wants to get a real group together, a friend of mine figured out how to setup a private server, so we could have a GH only game, if anyone is interested (Sorry if someone has already thought that up and done it, I just thought I would suggest it, in case we want to do that!)
Oh, I didn't know you could do that. I'd totally love a Geekhack only game. It'd be fun.  :)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:25:02 »
Oh, I didn't know you could do that. I'd totally love a Geekhack only game. It'd be fun.  :)
From what he told me, it's pretty hacked together ATM, but I think he's working on getting a simple client going for it, or at least easy to follow documentation for how to do it. I'll talk to him about it later today (it's 1am, so some time in the afternoon)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:28:33 »

How does a geekhack only game work..  we'd only have the 10-20 players..

the normal stage is ~200

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:40:28 »

Show Image

the normal stage is ~200
I was playing 1v1 with him and it worked pretty well. I'm not 100% sure how he sets it up, but he may scale the size of the world to the number of players. Also, we could totally get 200 together!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:09:34 »

Show Image

the normal stage is ~200

Could still be fun.  Maybe if there were a way to scale the size of the map? 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 01:36:45 »

Show Image

the normal stage is ~200

ALSO,  the map should be round... LOL 

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:08:40 »

I was talking to my friend about it today. He confirmed that the world size is indeed scaleable, so we can have as many or as few people as we get, and change world size accordingly. Apparently, you can also change the value of each mass scattered around the map, so that might be fun to mess around with. I'll (hopefully) post instructions for a private server on this thread tomorrow, and I'll probably leave a server up on my PC for a while, with instructions on how to connect to it. My connection should be fast enough to handle it.

ALSO,  the map should be round... LOL

I don't know if I can do that without making some major changes to the source code. I'll be sure to ask tomorrow though!

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:36:53 »
A round map? Now that's an interesting idea. It would completely change the game.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 05:57:53 »
Just get rid of the edges altogether. Wrap the map around itself.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:28:22 »

:eek:

But to do that in a spherical style would be craaaazy.  You'd almost be limited to a cylindrical wrap like the Civ games.  Still would be fun!

I was talking to my friend about it today. He confirmed that the world size is indeed scaleable, so we can have as many or as few people as we get, and change world size accordingly. Apparently, you can also change the value of each mass scattered around the map, so that might be fun to mess around with. I'll (hopefully) post instructions for a private server on this thread tomorrow, and I'll probably leave a server up on my PC for a while, with instructions on how to connect to it. My connection should be fast enough to handle it.

:cool:  Awesome!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:14:18 »

But to do that in a spherical style would be craaaazy.  You'd almost be limited to a cylindrical wrap like the Civ games.  Still would be fun!

:cool:  Awesome!

I think the spherical style is better,  because it gets rid of the -Pinning- aspect of the game..

Which i think is non-essential..   because it favors the Existing LARGE cells too much.

Spherical would also open up the necessity for larger teams maybe 3 to 4 people..

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:48:57 »

I think the spherical style is better,  because it gets rid of the -Pinning- aspect of the game..

Which i think is non-essential..   because it favors the Existing LARGE cells too much.

Spherical would also open up the necessity for larger teams maybe 3 to 4 people..

Oh I agree that spherical would be better, but how would you project that on a flat space on the screen (same issues as map projections)?  Cylindrical would work much better in that sense.  And would still get rid of *corner* pinning.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:57:39 »

Oh I agree that spherical would be better, but how would you project that on a flat space on the screen (same issues as map projections)?  Cylindrical would work much better in that sense.  And would still get rid of *corner* pinning.

well

cylindrical gets rid of 1 player cornering

but it still has 2 player cornering @ 45 degree pins from left and right against the top edge.

Sphere would require 3 players for a pin..   This means  2 man teams won't have such a significant advantage..

The issue right now is,  Large 2 man teams are incredibly hard to defeat.. once they're formed. 20k sizes.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:28:43 »

well

but it still has 2 player cornering @ 45 degree pins from left and right against the top edge.

Sphere would require 3 players for a pin..   This means  2 man teams won't have such a significant advantage..

The issue right now is,  Large 2 man teams are incredibly hard to defeat.. once they're formed. 20k sizes.

Ahh, good call.  But still, how would you handle the projection??  :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:29:35 »

well

Ahh, good call.  But still, how would you handle the projection??  :P

curved lines i guess.. LOL

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:34:57 »
You don't actually need to handle projection because the map doesn't have to exist in real 3D space. Just draw the map until you reach the edge, then start drawing the opposite edge seamlessly. Think of it as infinitely "tiling" the map.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 20:11:33 »
You don't actually need to handle projection because the map doesn't have to exist in real 3D space. Just draw the map until you reach the edge, then start drawing the opposite edge seamlessly. Think of it as infinitely "tiling" the map.

Absolutely correct.  I forgot how small the view window is in relation to the massive size of the entire map.  :thumb:  It would totally work with basically negligible distortion.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 17:59:06 »

well

It would make the game all about constant "hunting" not hoping to get lucky with a wall pin. But at the same time, pinning 10 smaller players in a corner with 30k mass is pretty entertaining.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:25:28 »

It would make the game all about constant "hunting" not hoping to get lucky with a wall pin. But at the same time, pinning 10 smaller players in a corner with 30k mass is pretty entertaining.

One of the major contributors of rage-quit syndrome.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:30:00 »
anyone down to play right now?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 21:39:47 »
I hate chasing. I'm not talking about short-lived pursuals, I'm talking about the long-term following a smaller cell around hoping that they are forced into a corner or against another large cell. It's just a jerk move and I feel like it ruins the game.

So I've adopted a new strategy to deal with chasers.

If you chase me, and don't let up, I will seek out someone big enough to eat us both and lead you right to him. I'll die, but I don't care. You already ruined my round so I'm going to ruin yours.

My boards:
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:07:16 »
I hate chasing. I'm not talking about short-lived pursuals, I'm talking about the long-term following a smaller cell around hoping that they are forced into a corner or against another large cell. It's just a jerk move and I feel like it ruins the game.

So I've adopted a new strategy to deal with chasers.

If you chase me, and don't let up, I will seek out someone big enough to eat us both and lead you right to him. I'll die, but I don't care. You already ruined my round so I'm going to ruin yours.

hahahaha..

This is not the right strategy to get swole..

Basically, don't long chase unless you're close to the corner..

It's better to just eat dots and catch smaller prey

Essentially, you shouldn't always wait for the largest prey possible

The reason is,  if you do that,  it takes longer,  than if you ate 2 smaller prey in the time it takes you to find the large one..

Since it's overall unpredictable who, how big, or where you meet.. 

It's better to get what's in front of you , than possibly nothing at all..

So, I'd say 1/3 ur size,, even 1/4 is worth the risk,  if you're in a very sparse zone.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:11:32 »
I am on right now, but I am still pretty pleb on it.  I dont' think I have broke 600 yet and 500 only a couple times.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:17:54 »
I am on right now, but I am still pretty pleb on it.  I dont' think I have broke 600 yet and 500 only a couple times.

You find a rhythm eventually..

Watch your diameter..  it has to be a bit more than 2x the size of your target for you to SPLIT (spacebar)  and eat him..

The split will happen in the direction your mouse is point.. not necessarily the direction you're currently moving in.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:18:42 »
yeah, that I have figured out, but I never seem to last long after I split.  Always get eaten shortly after.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 00:21:35 »
yeah, that I have figured out, but I never seem to last long after I split.  Always get eaten shortly after.

After you split..

You will be moving as fast as your largest ball,  so FASTER than when you were 1 large piece.

Use that speed to get away.

Basically,  if a larger guy shows up at the corner of your screen, and he's coming at you,  DON"T got near him at all.

Start heading as far away from him as possible..

If the guy is more than 4x your size.. he probably won't eat you, but he still might if he's playing with a partner.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:13:10 »
So I was playing Agar this afternoon with the nickname "njbair" (creative, I know...).

Anyway, I saw someone named gh. I wondered if it was someone from here. Then I saw someone named hhkb, and even though I'm not a huge Topre fan, I threw them a W. Then I saw someone named "njbair noob" so I W'd him and let him eat me a few times.

My boards:
More

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:24:06 »
So I was playing Agar this afternoon with the nickname "njbair" (creative, I know...).

Anyway, I saw someone named gh. I wondered if it was someone from here. Then I saw someone named hhkb, and even though I'm not a huge Topre fan, I threw them a W. Then I saw someone named "njbair noob" so I W'd him and let him eat me a few times.

Awww...internet friendships.

I see a "gh" on there all the time. They usually eat me too. But not in a nice friendly way. Just in the regular, I'm better than you way.

And you are dead on about your earlier feelings on chasers. I too will lead those bastards to their deaths.  >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 20:15:29 »
Score: 37,218

Almost highscored today... ALMOST

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 20:57:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

There was nobody near you. Couldn't Ramage have W'd you all he had and put you over the top?

My boards:
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 21:01:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

There was nobody near you. Couldn't Ramage have W'd you all he had and put you over the top?

the Score is max score reached,  that is not the current mass.  Together we might have been more than 37,000   but not much more..   we basically cleared out most of the players in this game instance..

We were a little too aggressive..  I think if we slowed down.. we might be able to farm more mass from people, when they don't give up and quit.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 21:46:02 »
I seem to remember another thread about Agar that TP4 was crying it was so unfair for people to team on FFA.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72721.0

Are you playing teams on FFA?  Or are you playing teams on Teams?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 22:02:18 »
I seem to remember another thread about Agar that TP4 was crying it was so unfair for people to team on FFA.

We've all grown since then..

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 01:58:22 »

We've all grown since then..
Show Image

It figures.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:06:36 »

Ramage and I killed the server late night, not enuff food for us.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:13:17 »
So, are these blobs persistent when not actively playing or does the game continue and other players become a threat? Only read the Wikipedia but it didn't explain this aspect of the game.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:34:03 »
So, are these blobs persistent when not actively playing or does the game continue and other players become a threat? Only read the Wikipedia but it didn't explain this aspect of the game.

Each game is -an instance-

There is no persistent objective.

THERE IS  however facebook linked "LEVELS"   which lets you increase your starting mass, if you join via your facebook account.

So,  if you're lvl 50 in facebook, you start at 50 mass  rather than 10..  but I think 50 mass is the max starting..

Offline Coreda

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 13:48:08 »

So when are the games reset, each day?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 14:34:36 »

So when are the games reset, each day?

Let's say it says there are 30,000 players playing in the selected region NA, Euro, Demikland, Sifoland, etc..

So,  each instance is between 200-250 players..   if that instance drops below a certain amount,   it will be aborted and all remaining players will be bounced to a more populated instance..

Your mass will decline automatically if you just sit around and not eat..

So the total mass in the server is balanced by prorating the larger players faster than the smaller players.

If you got 5,000 units of mass,   you will lose around 10 mass per second..  This is alot because moving is very slow for you.

That 's why team play has an advantage,  it allows people to move more quickly and integrate faster.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 14:39:23 »
Let's say it says there are 30,000 players playing in the selected region NA, Euro, Demikland, Sifoland, etc..

So,  each instance is between 200-250 players..   if that instance drops below a certain amount,   it will be aborted and all remaining players will be bounced to a more populated instance..

So how do you pick which instance you're assigned to, as you did with Ramage for example?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 14:57:35 »

So how do you pick which instance you're assigned to, as you did with Ramage for example?

There is now a "Party Mode" on the drop down menu next to where you input your Name.

You click it,  and click -Create party-  then you copy and paste the link over skype ..

Before this was available,  it was done via f12 and manually type in the server instance

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:09:28 »
I find it beyond annoying when I'm in the middle of a game and the whole board just freezes and you have to drop out and restart. It is the second time this happened to me. Is this because too many people quit the board?

IT IS SO AGGRAVATING!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:21:14 »
I find it beyond annoying when I'm in the middle of a game and the whole board just freezes and you have to drop out and restart. It is the second time this happened to me. Is this because too many people quit the board?

IT IS SO AGGRAVATING!

Yea that's one possibility..

Also, if they need to bounce you to a different machine in the data center, that could also happen.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 23:39:53 »
That's interesting. So "taking over" a server, really makes it more likely to crash.