Author Topic: Toothpaste  (Read 1716 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Toothpaste
« on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 21:46:31 »
is it a scam ?

Do we need toothpaste ?

Fierce discussion going on online ?

From it destroys gums, to it causes plaque, to binding site for dental_calculus

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Toothpaste
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 22:53:29 »
Wut
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 00:54:17 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 08:33:02 »
I like it because it makes my mouth feel fresh.

Those advertisements that show a full bead covering the length of the brush always made me laugh. I use a dab about the size of a pencil eraser and that is plenty.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline glibber

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 07:51:20 »
I haven't heard of many downsides to toothpaste actually, and I like the freshness of it.

But I have wondered if alternative, more fun solutions would be possible. Like dogs get chewing bones. Human chewing bones? Maybe I should get that patented.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 08:10:12 »
There are chewing gums with xylitol (and maybe other things that I am less aware of).
There is fluoridated mouthwash.

Toothpaste contains mild abrasives, which help grind away plaque when brushing. Should also be used when flossing.

I prefer mildly flavoured toothpaste. Too much mint and it gets painful after a while, which reduces the time I spend brushing.
🍉

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 16:50:46 »
What's the alternative? Brushing with just water? Brushing with baking soda like the olden days? Using fennel or a hazel twig plucked from a field like medieval times? I think to answer the question, you'd have to establish a control to compare it to.

Whatever potential downsides there are, I think the upsides outweigh them by a lot. An acquaintance never brushes and now has abscesses and will likely have to get dentures, and he's only in his mid-30s. My mom has had poor dental hygiene for a long time, and her teeth are destroyed. Unless there's very convincing evidence that there's a better alternative, I am not going to chance it.

Personally, I have fantasized about oral nano-bots that live in the mouth and automatically swirl around and clean all the nooks and crannies at certain intervals throughout the day. Why hasn't someone invented that yet? Better yet, why not total body cleaning nano-bots so that I never have to take a shower again? I guess they'd have to have some place to put the dirt that comes off so that they don't just smear poop and sweat everywhere.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 17:10:58 »

total body cleaning nano-bots

That is truly creepy to think about.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 20:49:37 »

total body cleaning nano-bots

That is truly creepy to think about.

If we have nano bots that advanced,  would rather just upload my consciousness and ditch being a squishy all together.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 22:08:17 »
i feel toothpaste is part of the "brushing teeth experience", without it your just putting water and those annoying bits of the brush that fall off into your mouth