Author Topic: Eating Well With A Low Sodium, Low Sugar Diet  (Read 2629 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Eating Well With A Low Sodium, Low Sugar Diet
« on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 01:28:01 »

Offline Faceman76

Re: Eating Well With A Low Sodium, Low Sugar Diet
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 04:13:28 »
You get used to it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 04:56:27 »
You get used to it.

I literally skipped dinner tonight because everything in my fridge and cupboard looked so unappetizing.

Hey! Eating healthy really is a great way to lose weight!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 05:05:53 »
You get used to it.

I literally skipped dinner tonight because everything in my fridge and cupboard looked so unappetizing.

Hey! Eating healthy really is a great way to lose weight!

Yeah, nothing good is left, so its easy :)
I have same problem dude, I can feel your pain.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 07:02:11 »
Sodium (high quantities > 3g/day)  -> damages endothelium ->scaring ->atherosclerotic plaque

(REFINED) Sugar -> damages endothelium ->scaring ->atherosclerotic plaque

Fats, (quantites > 30g/day) -> damages endothelium ->scaring ->atherosclerotic plaque

Minimally/Unrefined Starch based diet is the default / natural diet for humans.

___ Load up on:  Whole wheat/ brown rice/ potato..

The Starch Solution is a good read on this, author: John A. Mcdougall

Offline iri

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 05:45:10 »
If you manage to keep your sugar intake low (preferably at zero), you’ll soon discover that normal food bursts with flavour.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 07:19:04 »
If you manage to keep your sugar intake low (preferably at zero), you’ll soon discover that normal food bursts with flavour.

While I cannot get rid of sugar intirely, when I lowered salt intake, I found that you can feel more flavors in food. :thumb:
Especially vegetables.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 07:31:52 »

normal food bursts with flavour.

when I lowered salt intake, I found that you can feel more flavors in food.

Salt and sugar mask "off" flavors and can help mask both nasty additives as well as disguise spoilage.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 07:35:49 »

normal food bursts with flavour.

when I lowered salt intake, I found that you can feel more flavors in food.

Salt and sugar mask "off" flavors and can help mask both nasty additives as well as disguise spoilage.

Yep, Agreed!  :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 17:28:00 »
Oh my God, this sucks so much. Everything I can eat is like just an ingredient in actual food.

You like pizza? Why not try eating a whole tomato!
You like hamburgers? Try just the lettuce instead!
Always look forward to dessert? Just have a piece of fruit!
You love crunchy salty snacks? Well **** you, there's no alternative for that!

I'm gonna have a ****ing heart attack just getting angry over my food options  >:D

This SUCKS

And woe be unto you if you just want a quick convenient meal that you don't have to prepare, or isn't just a raw vegetable. So if you don't have the time, energy, or budget to be cooking meals every day, what? Just die? Just eat celery and tomatoes for the rest of your life?

And it doesn't even save you money. There's really zero benefit to eating 'healthy.' Food's one of the only things I get any pleasure from, and this is not a diet, it's a permanent lifestyle change. I am spending way more money to eat **** I don't want to eat to extend a life I already hate. Why?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2022, 17:49:08 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 18:45:47 »
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-menus-collections/easy-plant-based-recipes/

Try these recipes.

going by the fotos, they look pretty gud'

285540-0
285542-1
285544-2
285546-3
285548-4
285550-5

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 18:51:45 »
Finding a balance can be tough, but you can definitely do it man. I think a lot of the suggestions you get are too restrictive and stops you from living the life you want. You should check out @thejosephabell on TikTok just for starters for a better perspective on eating clean and enjoying it. I feel like the stuff he says really resonates with how I want to eat and live so maybe you can pick up a thing or two.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 19:01:10 »

if you just want a quick convenient meal

Making batches of food that are large enough for multiple meals makes the task easy on the in-between nights. There are countless great substantial soup recipes.

I have been making fresh garden salsa verde at least once a week (it seldom lasts that long) and with tortilla chips it can be a very satisfying light meal.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 21:29:01 »

if you just want a quick convenient meal

Making batches of food that are large enough for multiple meals makes the task easy on the in-between nights. There are countless great substantial soup recipes.

I have been making fresh garden salsa verde at least once a week (it seldom lasts that long) and with tortilla chips it can be a very satisfying light meal.

I didn't even consider unsalted chips, that's a great option for crunchy snacks. It's not the fat that's the problem, it's the sodium and sugar, and a fresh salsa would provide what is lacking in salt with that acidic lime and tomato.

But again, even something simple like chips and dip you have to put substantial thought into every facet, and you got to do that all the time for the rest of your life. I suppose it is something you grow into and becomes second nature after a while, but I have never wanted to eat a bag of Snyder's pretzels and an entire prosciutto hock more in my life. I wanna destroy a bag of jerky and half a dozen hotdogs!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 21:57:34 »
"Low sodium" does not mean NO sodium. A couple of square inches of jerky would make it feel like something solid without going overboard.

For the salsa that I have been craving I use about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds of tomatillos sliced thick and broiled in the oven until they just start getting charred at the edges. Everything else is raw.

A large sweet onion, 1-2 bell peppers, 1-2 hot peppers, 1-2 good tomatoes, and maybe a few green onions (and 1 or more cloves of garlic wouldn't hurt but I skip it with all the onions) and some fresh herbs if you have a garden. Put it all in the food processor and grind it to a lumpy soup consistency.

The freshness and rawness give it a very satisfying fullness.

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:37:05 »
one of my favorite thing to eat when money is low is cabbage salad, it can be extremely simple and i find it taste great (keeping in mind i do eat low sodium because i do not really like salt and very often completely forget to add any to my food, same with sugar to be honest)

take a head of cabbage, slice a few leaf per person rather thin (optimally about 2 to 3mm thin strips), drench in your favorite vinegar, let rest an hour or so, add if you have/want/can some apple cubes, some other vegetables (raw onion and/or tomato works rather well) and/or some hard cheese in small cubes (need to be small to not overpower everything) or anything you want really (warm steamed potatoes for example if you want some carbs works quite nice here), or nothing even. and serve cold and eat :)

and i am really not joking when i say it is one of my favorite meals, i do eat just the raw cabbage with apple cider vinegar quite often when cabbage is cheap.

hopes this can help you in your low everything journey :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:38:24 »
I'm just here for moral support, and a relevant music video on the topic of sodium.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 23:14:08 »
Did some skirt steak with veggies, no salt. Just seasoned w/ lime, garlic, paprika, and pepper. With whipped avocado garlic topping, no tortilla.

It was good, but expensive and time consuming. Not sustainable.

Offline PaulTate222

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 13:16:17 »
The low sugar diet is primarily aimed at those suffering from diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. However, lowering sugar intake can benefit anyone trying to create more balance in their diet and a healthier lifestyle overall.

The low-sugar approach is seen in many of the diets recommended by dieticians, such as the Mediterranean diet, and the DASH diet. Simply, a low sugar diet has eliminated all foods with added and artificial sugars along with carbohydrates that are quickly broken down into sugar in the body.

Some foods, like fruit (citrus fruits and berries in particular), whole grains, and sweet potatoes are acceptable, in moderation, by dieticians, but some wanting to go to extremes will try to also eliminate those from their diets.

Obviously any fruits high on the glycemic index scale, white bread, even whole wheat with added sugar, most drinks, packaged snack foods, and alcohol would not be in the diet.

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 13:41:11 »
Did some skirt steak with veggies, no salt. Just seasoned w/ lime, garlic, paprika, and pepper. With whipped avocado garlic topping, no tortilla.

This is exactly what I always find during diets - making food is time consuming. Not that don't like cooking - I love cooking, I've been cooking my whole life.
Thing is most time making those healthy low-on-everything food is so boring and time consuming plus not fun at all  :))

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 22:25:19 »

This is exactly what I always find during diets - making food is time consuming. Not that don't like cooking - I love cooking, I've been cooking my whole life.
Thing is most time making those healthy low-on-everything food is so boring and time consuming plus not fun at all  :))

Never thought about it, but you're right. Even cooking unhealthy things is more fun than prepping health food. That's rich :))

Offline Kavik

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 10:32:56 »
Food gathering and preparation used to take the majority of humans' time. We're just not used to it now because of specialization. But I still feel the same, even cooking regular food. I like cooking once and a while, and it's really satisfying when it turns out good, but I don't want to spend the whole evening doing it every day. I haven't found the discipline to do the weekly food prep thing yet.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 17:04:41 »
My wife cooks from fresh every time. We eat a very low sodium and low sugar diet (at least by American standards).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 00:30:07 »
I haven't found the discipline to do the weekly food prep thing yet.

It really does require discipline to not just nuke something easy or order food after working 10 hours and coming home dead tired. The sheer amount of food you'd need to cook for a 5 day work week is... a lot. It's a lot of food. Not something I want to spend most of a weekend day doing every week either.
I am starting to see why rich people are inherently healthier than working class. They have the time to be healthy.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 05:57:26 »

Perhaps there is something in here you may wish to try:

https://archive.org/details/GoodAndCheap/mode/1up

The book is about how to eat at a reasonable cost, week after week, whilst still preparing meals that are worth eating.

This site was a favourite with me for some time, too:

https://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

The site is run by a woman who does not have a great deal of time or money; you may find some of what she says to be of interest.

Preparing good meals that do not break the bank may seem daunting at first, but you will get better at it with practise.  Perhaps the most important ingredient in all of this is giving yourself a bit time to master this new world where you find yourself.

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2022, 06:16:15 by Stupidface »

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 05:58:53 »
noisy only needs to discover multicookers

-Ray Bradbury