Author Topic: What to buy where to buy? Cherry mx brown keyboard  (Read 5682 times)

Offline AltCtrlElite

What to buy where to buy? Cherry mx brown keyboard
« on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:09:51 »
Hi, I've been wanting to get another keyboard for sometime. I currently have cm storm quick fire cherry mx blue. I want to find a cherry mx brown keyboard with blank key caps with a black color. I don't know if I should choose the Leopolds or find a filco. I heard filcos were very good but I can't find them at all.

Leopold:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rtabn

Also is there any difference between the tenkeyless version because the prices are the same.

and I would like to find a filco like the one shown on this video:

I heard elitekeyboards stop stocking them awhile back.

I live in the us.

Which keyboard should I get? What are your thoughts?

Leopold vs. Filco
I'm looking for the best quality cherry mx brown keyboard. I don't care about features. Whichever sounds better.

Thanks in advance.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What to buy where to buy? Cherry mx brown keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:15:18 »
What you "really" want to get is the Quickfire Rapid TKL by Coolermaster.

Same producer/OEM as the Filco.. However it's nearly half the price depending on "switch type"

Now you'll also want to get a set of PBT keycaps from ebay, or from Feng directly here on GH, to achieve that "Ninja" look.

The only difference between the quickfire rapid and the filco tkl is that filco uses a higher quality PCB, which offers "NO" perceptible difference in actual use..

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:16:47 »
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70724&vpn=FKBN104M%2FEFB2&manufacture=Filco

Fullsize filco ninja with browns in stock from NCIX. Side printed, so they look blank, but writing printed on the side.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:28:43 »

Fullsize filco ninja with browns in stock from NCIX. Side printed, so they look blank, but writing printed on the side.

black side printed "doesn't" really look Blank from the "user's" point of view.. But they will from anyone that's next to you... so.... yea, there's no substitute for "BLANK- Blanks"

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:31:41 »

black side printed "doesn't" really look Blank from the "user's" point of view.. But they will from anyone that's next to you... so.... yea, there's no substitute for "BLANK- Blanks"

Closest thing I can think of that is a Filco. Full blank board with browns, I think Das keyboard may be?
http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate-silent/
Yup, black, blank, with brown switches.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:33:37 by Halverson »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:41:51 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline AltCtrlElite

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:36:42 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like sthe quickfire rapid because it looks the same as the on I'm using. Is there a website where I could buy the filco majestouch tactile touch otaku not the majestouch 2? I think I'm now just debating on the leopolds or filco. Sorry I don't like the printed caps at all. Oh and for das keyboard I saw people writing that it was very inferior on quality. I'd prefer a keyboard between the price range of 100-150 ish . Thanks anyways The quickfire rapid isnt really all black either. I want a keyboard that is very similar in appearance with the tactile touch otaku keyboard. Thanks in advance

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:46:16 »
Uh as for filco, the side printed one is your closest bet.  I don't think they make the all blank version anymore.  I updated the info above you can take a look.  Das Keyboard ultimate (blank version) is still made by Costar (same manufacture as Filco) so quality should be comparable.

If you want a different look and willing to try MX Red, I'd suggest this  http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=73  then get blank PBT keycaps for it.

Otherwise if you have to keep the exact same look and budget, your only option is this  http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtabn  however leopolds use cherry stabilizer so it will feel different than Filco's Costar stabilizers.  Most people seem to prefer Costar stabilizers.

EDIT:  If money is not an issue, buying the following will get you what you want 100%:  http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=849 AND http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=639
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 17:51:51 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline AltCtrlElite

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:51:05 »
Could you explain what is a cherry or costar stablizer? I'm sorry I'm kind of new to the techinical part of these keyboards. Costar? Cherry? Are they on all keys?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 19:16:34 »
Could you explain what is a cherry or costar stablizer? I'm sorry I'm kind of new to the techinical part of these keyboards. Costar? Cherry? Are they on all keys?

Ok, if it's the "Look" you're after.

Get the quickfire rapid RED + the blank pbt caps.. That case is now almost completely black like the Filco.

Buying a filco is kindof silly these days, cuz the caps arnt' that great vs pbt, and the QFR has the same colors available.

For example, since you already have the MX blue tkl, you could buy the MX Red tkl and just swap the cases..

That way you'll have a black keyboard, and you'll have money left over to buy the PBT keycaps, which are much much better than filco stock.

Offline AltCtrlElite

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 19:34:21 »
Well those are red switches... Is there anything wrong with leopold tactile touch otaku? It seems as if everyone is advising me to only buy the quickfire coolermaster keyboards... Does the leopold keyboard have PBT keycaps? Do they make that much of a difference?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 21:24:54 »
Only the FC700 leopold come with PBT..

However, it's only sold in Australia and Korea.

if you live in either of those countries.. then by all means get it.

PBT is better for "blanks" because they're very wear resistant, which means the keys will not turn shiny // greasy looking after use.

That is the primary advantage, especially for "BLACK" color keys, as it is prone to show "greasiness" as compared to lighter color keycaps.

Leopold is fine if you're cool with Cherry stabilizers.

They don't feel as light//smooth as "costar" stabilizers on the Quickfire Rapid.

But they can be moded to improve "smoothness"

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:31:05 »
Yeah the idea is that some people find cherry stabilizers "mushy", on keyboards all the long keys will have stabilizers so they stay balanced when you press any point on the key.  Long keys are shift, enter, backspace, spacebar ... etc.

People say costar stabilizers feels more crisp.  I haven't try cherry stabilizers yet so I can only tell you what I've heard.

As for keycaps, people recommend PBT because they're more resistant to "shine" and wear.  Most stock keyboards use ABS keycaps and usually it will get finger wear after a few months.  People recommend QuickFire Rapid because it's really close to Filco quality and about half the price.  So for 1 Filco you can buy a QuickFire Rapid + blank PBT keycaps for about the same price.

Offline nekoinu

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:04:16 »
Hi.
I want to buy full-sized mx brown keyboard.
But I think I do not like black color (almost all models on market).
What can You tell about Vortex KBT ONE PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Brown Cherry MX)
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=206?
Can You reccomend some models of white keyboards with PBT keycaps?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:24:42 »
If you don't like the black color there is a Rosewill white keyboard that has brown switches.  As far as the Vortex One, there are newer to me and I haven't used one so I can't give my opinion on them. Someone might come along here shortly and give you some feedback on that board. The Rosewill can be found on Amazon or Newegg.com

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:29:47 »
If you're fine with the default setup of the Leopold then go for it. However, if you plan to customize it with keysets which require replacing the space bar, then go with a Filco because the Leopold has a "non-standardized" space bar.

Offline sordna

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:08:05 »
How come nobody recommended WASD keyboards?  You can get a semi-custom or fully customize the keycaps. Quality is better than Leopold/Filco, it's a local company, and their shipping and customer service is outstanding.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline nekoinu

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:30:24 »
Ok.
I want 104-key (not tenkeyless) white (or gray) keyboard. Can't find leopold or rosewill models that match this requirements.
And I am living in east europe, not every shop will ship overseas for resonable price.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:32:53 »
How come nobody recommended WASD keyboards?  You can get a semi-custom or fully customize the keycaps. Quality is better than Leopold/Filco, it's a local company, and their shipping and customer service is outstanding.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

because muh tenkeyless

Offline sordna

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:55:45 »
I believe the discussion here involved full size, but besides, WASD is coming up with a tenkeyless by March:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/blog
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline AltCtrlElite

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:46:48 »
I don't think wads has PBT keycaps