Author Topic: Aerope; a trackball for Atreus  (Read 12542 times)

Offline skygazer

Aerope; a trackball for Atreus
« on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:18:03 »
I love my Atreus... it is the perfect ergo keyboard for typing in my lap!  But after using it for a month or so, I started longing for some kind of pointing device that could fit it that small gap between the right and left halves.  I wanted something simple and removable, and i didn't particularly want to completely rebuild the keyboard.
After exploring trackpoint and handheld trackball options, I began to think that I woulldn’t find a hack to fit in the Atreus ‘wedge’ space without totally rebuilding the keyboard.  I really wanted the pointing device to be easily be removable and use its own USB connection, without modifying the keyboard.

I found eventually found a reference showing the Logitech Trackman Marble, which has a small format CCB under the ball and a separate CCB for the controller.  This looked promising.. the ball is larger than I would have liked, but the base is very small. 

Here it how it turned out:

I call it “Aerope”, after the wife of Atreus.  She was a very bad girl…
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:46:48 by skygazer »

Offline skygazer

Re: Aerope; a trackball for Atreus
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:39:35 »
Here is the trackball without the Atreus.  It just sits on top of the keyboard, and the ball just sits in the cup.  Note that I used some MX clears that were lying around, instead of the Logitech microswitches.

Here's a view of the bottom, showing wiring and the controller card.  I have since added some thin stick-on rubber feet, which keeps it from moving around on the keyboard.

Offline skygazer

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:54:22 »
Here are some construction details.  Since it is a standard Logitech Trackman, the standard Logitech drivers work (windows drivers are pretty good, Mac drivers suck.  I use USB Overdrive on my Mac).

I had to dremel away a lot of the cup to make room for the 'T' and 'Y' keys (or 'Y' and 'F' keys in Dvorak).  It is still a little cramped, but I can live with it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 22:01:11 »
That looks good. Does the ball stay in place pretty well?
Chris Schammert

Offline skygazer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 01:13:36 »
I type with the keyboard in my lap.  My only problem with the ball falling out happens when I lean forward too much, or inadvertently tip the keyboard taking it on or off of my lap.
That said, I haven't had to chase the ball across the room in over a week now :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:00:10 »
I'd only had to chase my trackman marble ball a few times after cleaning the sensor  :)) nice
Chris Schammert

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 22:25:10 »
This is great!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:06:00 »
If this were mass produced I would buy this so god damn hard

Offline Bucake

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:43:15 »
damnnn, that's awesome
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 07:42:36 »
Amazing. This really makes me consider getting away from aircraft carrier keyboards. I am truly impressed.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015