Author Topic: Do americans have kettles?  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Do americans have kettles?
« on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 05:28:12 »
I remember reading something about Americans not really having kettles ages ago, and that boil water thread just reminded me of that.

Do Americans have kettles? here in Australia they are a common household appliance but I guess not in America? I also remember hearing that they do have them as well which is why I'm not sure.

Apparently some Americans use the word kettle for something I would call a pot/teapot which is interesting. Just In case that's you I'm referring to these electric ones that look like the image below.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 August 2023, 10:55:57 by Rhienfo »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Re: Do americans have kettles?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 06:34:23 »
America is a big place. There are millions of kettle using people here.  That said, lets say we're taking a very high level overview of Americans "in general". 

I would *not* be surprised if I visited someone's house and they did not have a kettle. 

I would also *not* be surprised if I visited someone's house and they did have a kettle.  BUT I might be surprised if they chose to use it for boiling water to make something like mac'n'cheese.  When we boil water, it's mainly for cooking, and it's mainly on a stove in a deep pot.  Our "grab and go" foods don't often require boiling water, either.  Our hot drink of choice is coffee, made by a coffee maker.  If you count that as a kettle, then everyone has one.

Noodles, Rice, Tea... these kettle-friendly foods aren't as culturally significant in the US as they are in other countries.

I'm making huge generalizations here of course.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 08:01:03 »
Many people in the US might use the word "kettle" for a pan, especially a very large one, which would more properly be a "pot"

The primary use of mine is heating water for my pour-over coffee carafe.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline NumPadEnjoyer

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 08:32:05 »
I personally do but it's not something you'll find in every American home

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 10:49:11 »
Many people in the US might use the word "kettle" for a pan, especially a very large one, which would more properly be a "pot"

The primary use of mine is heating water for my pour-over coffee carafe.

That interesting, I don't think anyone here would call that a kettle. Yeah I would probably call that a teapot or something.

America is a big place. There are millions of kettle using people here.  That said, lets say we're taking a very high level overview of Americans "in general". 

I would *not* be surprised if I visited someone's house and they did not have a kettle. 

I would also *not* be surprised if I visited someone's house and they did have a kettle.  BUT I might be surprised if they chose to use it for boiling water to make something like mac'n'cheese.  When we boil water, it's mainly for cooking, and it's mainly on a stove in a deep pot.  Our "grab and go" foods don't often require boiling water, either.  Our hot drink of choice is coffee, made by a coffee maker.  If you count that as a kettle, then everyone has one.

Noodles, Rice, Tea... these kettle-friendly foods aren't as culturally significant in the US as they are in other countries.

I'm making huge generalizations here of course.

Oh yeah I am definitely generalizing here, and you're probably right there. This just popped up in my head and thought I should post it for some reason.

Do you use a kettle? (If you are American)

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 11:27:26 »
Canadian here, but we have an electric one and we refer to it as a "kettle".  Similar to the image below.  Electric with glass sides.  Boiling water is kind of fun to watch.  Highly recommended for the educational value.  Mostly gets used for hot drinks: tea, hot chocolate, instant coffee, etc.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 August 2023, 11:52:13 »
Canadian here, but we have an electric one and we refer to it as a "kettle".  Similar to the image below.  Electric with glass sides.  Boiling water is kind of fun to watch.  Highly recommended for the educational value.  Mostly gets used for hot drinks: tea, hot chocolate, instant coffee, etc.

Show Image

A clear one like that would be cool to have, I never knew I needed something like that until now.

Offline udller

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 03:30:52 »
i clicked this thread to see if they have the chips, but this is not about the chips :(

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 04:13:28 »
i clicked this thread to see if they have the chips, but this is not about the chips :(

oh kettle chips are so good. Stopped eating them because I would eat like a whole bag instead of just a portion. Same with shapes.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 07:24:32 »
Do you use a kettle? (If you are American)

We had a kettle growing up.. it was a metal one that went on the stove and had a whistle when the water was boiling.  That said, we didn't use it much at all.  I have a nice Stagg EKG gooseneck kettle that I use for coffee (pourover) and puerh (gaiwan).  But we're here on a mechanical keyboard forum, so we're all probably fancy like that.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 07:32:45 »
We had a kettle growing up.. it was a metal one that went on the stove and had a whistle when the water was boiling.  That said, we didn't use it much at all.  I have a nice Stagg EKG gooseneck kettle that I use for coffee (pourover) and puerh (gaiwan).  But we're here on a mechanical keyboard forum, so we're all probably fancy like that.

Oh yeah, I don't drink coffee so I didn't know about these expensive kettles and such, but I guess it makes sense if your trying to make the best coffee.

I'm very weird that I'm very value/cheap oriented when it comes to most things except keyboards for some reason, it's like the only hobby I have unless you count buying criterion blu rays as a hobby (I used to be into retro gaming but stopped when it became too expensive/started to emulate more)

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 15:51:56 »
Am American. I have one of these:

Not that exact model, but that brand. It's basically a thermos / dispenser that keeps water hot all the time and available at the press of a button. It can hold water to different temperatures based on your needs (I keep it near boiling for coffee pour-overs and black tea.)

This seems like an overkill product, but the US's 120v power makes it much less quick to heat up water with a traditional kettle, so when I had a regular electric kettle I didn't drink much tea. This makes the process so much quicker, and is also useful for things like ramen, or anything else you just need a little bit of boiling water for.

These aren't common in the US, btw. Moreso in Japan. I just happened to have a Japanese coworker for a time and got introduced to them.  Then I wound up buying them for allot of family members as housewarming gifts, and it's always the same story of "I thought this was a weird gift at first, but now would never not want to have one of these around."
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 18:16:54 »
Have

Two kettle

Both electric

However

In California

And

Immediate family

Mix of

5 nationality

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 10:27:06 »
We have an electric here at work, and at home I have just a classic stove-top kettle that we've used for 20+ years since we make our own pitchers of Sweet Tea (mildly sweet).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 02:53:08 »
This seems like an overkill product, but the US's 120v power makes it much less quick to heat up water with a traditional kettle
I happened to learn this this morning as well, and also that it's still much faster than a stovetop kettle apparently.

240 V guys! It's worth it! ;p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 07:09:27 »
This seems like an overkill product, but the US's 120v power makes it much less quick to heat up water with a traditional kettle
I happened to learn this this morning as well, and also that it's still much faster than a stovetop kettle apparently.

240 V guys! It's worth it! ;p

Yea 240v is the way to go. Puny america 120v boils water super slow. We need overclocked kettles that draw near 20amp.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 September 2023, 08:22:02 »
I remember reading something about Americans not really having kettles ages ago, and that boil water thread just reminded me of that.

Do Americans have kettles? here in Australia they are a common household appliance but I guess not in America? I also remember hearing that they do have them as well which is why I'm not sure.

Apparently some Americans use the word kettle for something I would call a pot/teapot which is interesting. Just In case that's you I'm referring to these electric ones that look like the image below.

Show Image

I  use my kettle for ramen