Author Topic: you know you are a geek when...  (Read 44439 times)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: you know you are a geek when...
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:06:03 »
...you start an online community, primarily dedicated to computer keyboards.

QFT
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 05:03:51 »

QFT

You know what all these abbreviations mean, especially when someone says QFR and someone else says QFT you like totally follow the conversation.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 18:59:11 »
You attend a college that holds a Pokemon X Y launch party and the staff sends email invitations to every student.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 11:09:54 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 15:45:35 »

QFT

You know what all these abbreviations mean, especially when someone says QFR and someone else says QFT you like totally follow the conversation.

QFT=quoted for truth
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 15:47:12 »
He knows... Re-read what he put.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 17:41:54 »
:))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:37:01 »
Your biggest fear is if you die your family will sell your keyboard stuff for what you told them you paid.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:45:06 »
Your biggest fear is if you die your family will sell your keyboard stuff for what you told them you paid.

This is a real thing. You missed my Keyboard Estate Planning thread from about a year ago. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline UniClown

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:59:52 »
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet.

...When you frequent an online forum called GeekHack

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 10:39:46 »
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet.

...When you frequent an online forum called GeekHack

QFT!!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 09:11:42 »
When you see an old cash register and wonder what switches are under the caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 18:29:53 »

A true geek would just whip out there key cap keypuller and try and pop a key off :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 18:31:40 »

A true geek would just whip out there key cap keypuller and try and pop a key off :eek:

And we all carry a keycap remover around with us at all times, right?

Or is it just me?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 18:33:55 »

And we all carry a keycap remover around with us at all times, right?

Or is it just me?

I guarantee you I've always got something in my pocket that will get a keycap off of a keyboard.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 18:44:36 »
Just came up with an awesome idea: someone make a keypuller keychain.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 18:48:02 »

smallfry cut down one to put on his keychain it's in the EDC thread

also there is that cherry one originative sells for $6

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:06:55 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:09:49 »
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/kbd-accessories-1/products/cherry-corp-keycap-puller

Damn, now I have the urge to buy one...

Do it, then write a review on it and upgrade your geek level at the same time.

Maybe I should write up a review on using the different ones, they come in red, blue, black, brown normally and sometimes green and clear, maybe even white oh and also gray if you replaced the switches like me.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:24:47 »
I own one with blues after a stock ring puller. F-ck ring pullers. They're only good for keys with stabs(which is all I use it for now)

wire pullers are so fast and so easy. Down, twist, up, pop the key out, rinse and repeat

picked blues cuz they're fun to click  ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:17:24 »
You're at the gym lifting weights and all you can think about are what you want to do to a keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:23:56 »
You dream about keyboards or keycaps for three nights in a row.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:25:37 »
You're at the gym lifting weights and all you can think about are what you want to do to a keyboard.

wait....what?

geeks lift weights?

unless you mean like you were doing finger exercises so you don't wimp out and use blues or browns or something.

I thought that was fairly normal....  ???

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:31:47 »

Haha yes! I'm in the middle of nowhere and this has station had this super old cash register and the keycaps had a tall profile I think there's something nice under them!

Yesss I literally dream about keyboards every night now haha it's so weird :0 :D

wait....what?

geeks lift weights?

unless you mean like you were doing finger exercises so you don't wimp out and use blues or browns or something.

Haha yeah man I've got a nice body ;) I know others that lift too! Also there's this iOS developer of jail breaking called musclenerd haha
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 22:33:26 by dustinhxc »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 23:57:23 »

I don't usually, but I have the last three nights.  First night I had a transparent case for my HHKB, but teeny tiny little white plastic balls kept getting into it.  Second night I dreamed that BunnyLake sent me a bunch of CandyCorn Clacks, but included CandyCorn space bars!  Man, they were fantastic!  I was only upset that I was only allowed to look at them and had to send them on to other people.  I was worrying about how I was going to package them.  Third night I can't remember now, but it wasn't as good as the other two.

I should also point out that the second dream was about Clacks, not BunnyLake.  I do not dream about BunnyLake.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 00:04:12 »
I do not dream about BunnyLake.

how abnormal

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 00:24:31 »

I don't usually, but I have the last three nights.  First night I had a transparent case for my HHKB, but teeny tiny little white plastic balls kept getting into it.  Second night I dreamed that BunnyLake sent me a bunch of CandyCorn Clacks, but included CandyCorn space bars!  Man, they were fantastic!  I was only upset that I was only allowed to look at them and had to send them on to other people.  I was worrying about how I was going to package them.  Third night I can't remember now, but it wasn't as good as the other two.

I should also point out that the second dream was about Clacks, not BunnyLake.  I do not dream about BunnyLake.

so it's like after midnight here....kids asleep on the couch next to me and I just laughed out loud reading this....doh

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 00:24:46 »

Candy corn spacebars!!!!  :eek:

Stop teasing! I must see this dream!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:16:54 »
......... bought a 3rd copy of Heart of the Swarm cuz it's on sale.

Offline iri

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 02:25:15 »
that's what happened to me yesterday though i was at home lifting weights.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 03:40:54 »
Candy corn spacebars!!!!  :eek:

Stop teasing! I must see this dream!

Yeah, I was really impressed with how straight and consistent they were across the whole length.

My biggest worry was whether I'd be able to pack them sufficiently well to send them back overseas.

I really wished I could have kept one.

And anyone who comes into the conversation with this post is going to be wondering what's going on :))

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 04:19:44 »
**cough, cough**
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48477

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:32:56 »
You have a favourite keyboard switch...

Current fave is: Plate mounted, trampoline and latex modded, stickered and lubed 62g ErgoClears with thick POM keycaps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:18:59 »
You have a favourite keyboard switch...

Current fave is: Plate mounted, trampoline and latex modded, stickered and lubed 62g ErgoClears with thick POM keycaps.

You know you are a geek when....you can understand the above statement! :thumb:

Love POM keycaps myself....a softer texture. We need more of them!

Offline Neal

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:49:08 »
When your family, friends and not-so-friends ask you for tech/computer related problems and advice.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:55:46 »
When your family, friends and not-so-friends ask you for tech/computer related problems and advice.

that just means you're surround by a bunch of freeloaders who are too lazy to google.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 09:38:17 »

that just means you're surround by a bunch of freeloaders who are too lazy to google.

I don't let my family Google

I don't trust them.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:06:05 »
you're sitting at your desk watching DreamHack Counter-Strike 2013 while the Macy's Thanksgiving parade is on.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 14:08:57 »
I can't even count the number of times my dad has asked me a computer related question and my answer is "just google it". His follow up question is always "what do I type?". But what's worse is my old school European grandfather who always asks me over Skype to teach him how to download torrents and having to try tell him "ignore all the naked woman advertisements on all the torrent sites"

Offline iri

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 14:30:57 »
I can't even count the number of times my dad has asked me a computer related question and my answer is "just google it". His follow up question is always "what do I type?". But what's worse is my old school European grandfather who always asks me over Skype to teach him how to download torrents and having to try tell him "ignore all the naked woman advertisements on all the torrent sites"
can you just tell him to install adblock or something?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 14:33:35 »
You don't have a favourite keyboard switch...
ftfy

-Ray Bradbury

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 15:03:08 »
Took me over an hour to get him to find utorrent on a web browser. Not including installing it which I'm not even sure he was successful in doing. I told him I would just type up a guide with pictures for how to get torrents.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 15:08:18 »
Took me over an hour to get him to find utorrent on a web browser. Not including installing it which I'm not even sure he was successful in doing. I told him I would just type up a guide with pictures for how to get torrents.
There's a major language barrier. Not only Czech/English, but computer language also. For instance, I can't even say things like "web browser" without having to explain what that is for 10 mins.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 21:18:00 »
**cough, cough**
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48477

Yeah, yeah, I know, I kept meaning to look that thread up.  Thanks for the link :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 08:20:18 »
When you have to ask somebody else to eat Slim Jims for you.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 13:26:58 »
Nowadays, anyone with a Facebook/Twitter account is a "social media geek". The word means nothing.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 13:29:12 »
when you go home for thanks giving and after the food is gone... the table is cleared to make room for multiple laptops, synthesizers, a few FPGA development kits, and DSLR totes nearby.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."