Author Topic: Browns vs Reds - which is not mushy?  (Read 7157 times)

Offline dman777

Browns vs Reds - which is not mushy?
« on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 18:39:42 »
I'm starting a new job in which I will be coding in the office. I love using blue switches, but they would be to loud in the office.

That narrows the choice for me between browns or red. What I want mainly is not to have the keys feel mushy...I hate mushy feeling. Which switch would be a better fit for me... browns or reds?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Browns vs Reds - which is not mushy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 18:43:05 »
I'm assuming you like a little bit of tactility? If so, then brown. Reds are linear, with no tactile bump at all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 19:07:03 »
check ur office,  if it's ~ 50 db and above,  you're not going to hear the mx blues distinctly at all.

If it's a very quiet 30db,  mortuary type places,  stick to rubber dome or topre dome..

Offline dman777

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 19:57:17 »
I like tactile bumps... but I read where the browns give some friction while going down. Is that true? If so, I wouldn't want friction....my blues have no friction at all(at least to me they don't).

Offline atarione

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:41:30 »
obviously this subject is extremely subjective I would think dampened (or silent reds) would be an excellent option my dampened Filco (mx-reds) isn't noticeably louder than a rubber dome keyboard (well it probably is a bit..but not too much). and I can use this keyboard in the office without ticking everyone off..

I do not find reds mushy at all personally ... I find dampened reds and dampened browns to be very similar ..

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:58:00 »
If you want no resistance at all, then I'd say go for the reds. They are linear, so there will be no feedback to your fingers when they activate. It should be totally smooth.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 02:57:10 »
Get one of these with Hako switches.  Not loud at all, but they feel amazing.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:05:00 »
Go with MX Brown for coding, none of them should feel mushy.

The mushy feeling would probably come from Cherry stabilizer if your keyboard uses it.  Try to find a keyboard with MX Brown and Costar stabilizers.

Also if you don't like mushy then don't go for silent red, they're relatively more "cushioned" which isn't as crisp.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dman777

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:33:55 »
I was going to to with a Ducky One RGB.... I have a old Shine 3 with blue switches that I love. I don't know much about the stabilizers....is Ducky known to have the good stabilizers and make the keys feel crisp?

Offline maxf

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:49:29 »
If you like tactile and a little heavier MX Clear is a good way to go.  But they can be fatiguing after hours of typing

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:09:03 »
I was going to to with a Ducky One RGB.... I have a old Shine 3 with blue switches that I love. I don't know much about the stabilizers....is Ducky known to have the good stabilizers and make the keys feel crisp?

Ducky uses Cherry stabilizers, but if you're used to it already then it should be the same on your next Ducky keyboard.  :)

Also to answer your questions, Ducky uses Cherry stabilizers which = mushy on bottom out.  If you try to hit your single keys then hit your large keys you'll notice a different bottom out feeling.  But as I mentioned since you didn't notice it before so it should be the same on the next Ducky board.

If you want clean stabilizers refer to this post:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87563.0

Clipped Cherry stabilizers = clean feeling.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 14:10:34 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden