Author Topic: Struggling with TV sizes.  (Read 3073 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Struggling with TV sizes.
« on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 05:00:43 »
305748-0

TV shopping lately,  size is a huge problem depending on content.

77 inch with 2.39:1 aspect ratio movies, most common these days for big movies,  is only equivalent to a 57 inch screen vertically.

This is not very big at all.

65" tv = 48

83" tv = 62

97" tv = 72   (Tp4 can't afforz)

So, really, seems like we need 97" even at ~2-3 meters, IF watching 2.39:1 movies, which is alot of them.

Thoughts?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Struggling with TV sizes.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 08:46:31 »
Wildly different aspect ratios make this an intractable conundrum.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 09:57:40 »
(Attachment Link)

TV shopping lately,  size is a huge problem depending on content.

77 inch with 2.39:1 aspect ratio movies, most common these days for big movies,  is only equivalent to a 57 inch screen vertically.

This is not very big at all.

65" tv = 48

83" tv = 62

97" tv = 72   (Tp4 can't afforz)

So, really, seems like we need 97" even at ~2-3 meters, IF watching 2.39:1 movies, which is alot of them.

Thoughts?

Show Image

I was forced to replace both of my TVs and wanted big for the basement and nice for the upstairs. I am a die-hard Costco fiend and with % back and a 5 year warranty (which I submitted a claim 2 years and 1 day after the purchase date) so my options were rather limited.

The basement TV (Samsung 82" QN82Q6DTA) was intended to be "big and silly" as I described it to my spouse. My kids universally prefer the bigger TV despite it not having the same color or picture clarity. It's great for during the F1 season, but due to the fast movement of the picture it does get a bit blurry at times, but overall think it is good overall.

The upstairs TV (Samsung 65" QN65Q8DAAFXZA) was selected more off fitting the space and finding a display that looked as good as possible since that TV is more for my spouse and I to watch after the kids go to bed. Watching Apple TV, etc. The picture is fantastic and honestly 65" feels good for "TV watching", but is much less "cinematic" than the larger TV downstairs. I even tried to convince myself that I needed a 70-75" for upstairs but now that I have my 65" in place this is the biggest I would want it to be.

How I did the comparison was place masking tape on the wall for what the "footprint" of the TV(s) will be. This is much easier if it's wall mounted vs on a stand. Then compared different seating distances/etc to see how they "feel". One could argue that at the size you are looking for a good, used projector may be the "best" solution.

Depending on where you live if there is a good brick and mortor store that caters to legitimate home theaters more than just a 5.1 surround system they often get trade ins on both audio and video equipment. Used TVs and Projectors don't retain a lot of value, so there are deals to be had if you make nice with the employees who can alert you on new trades. It's how I found my first stereo setup. Told them I was looking for Emotiva pre/power amps, a brand they don't carry, but got in on trade. It came home with me within the week. Good luck Tp4.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 11:13:07 »
At the Tomahawk, Tp4 was looking at the LCDs, perceptually, it's honestly better than the OLED when looked at straight on, because the highlights pop more, especially on the higher end sets. They also work alot better during the day and with room lighting. But off axis is a big problem for VA-Type high contrast LCDs, the washout and color contrast change starts at a very steep angle.

Tp4 decided on OLED for the time being, before Hisense brings a proper LMCL to market. But it looks like they've sidelined that technoogy for the time being.

Tp4 also doubts he could afford the newest 40,000 dimming zone TV from hisense coming out, it's probably on the order of $15-20,000.

The cheaper OLED like the 83" C3 or 77" S90C will have to do.

But there's this problem still of size, where if you put the couch at the right distance for 2.39:1 movies, it's WAY TOO CLOSE for 1.85:1 or 16:9 movies.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 17:46:23 »
You still watch things on tv, old man?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 19:19:36 »
You still watch things on tv, old man?

Not buying Apple VR, not doin' it, nope, not after apple made that crap show for all mankind.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 18:13:43 »
Oled is still pretty weak in terms of brightness.  You go up to the LCDs, and they're light-cannons.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 18:59:07 »
Trigger pulled.

77" s90c arriving next week. Decided to skip the s89c because holiday models are usually lower panel bins. Tp4 has always had problems with samsung UI software, but gonna roll the dice on this one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 10:11:12 »
Ughgh.... Rolling around on floor, the anticipation is killzn'Tp4

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 11:38:47 »
Well this is upsetting. Can't use 20 Point calibration in PC mode. It only allows 2 point calibration.

WHY SAMSUNG,  WHYYYYY !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 12:30:59 »
Ok, Samsung, Tp4 hates you a little bit less now, considering out of the box performance is pretty much flawless using 2 point correction, (even without access to 20 point correction) But Tp4 reserves the right to hate Samsung in the future should this go badly in time.  Greyscale Delta e < 2
305908-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 12:50:15 »
Ok, Slightly regretting not waiting for 83 inch. Buhhh. 2 years, This will have to do for now.

Color gamut is impressive, this is bt2020 map.

305910-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 23:27:43 »
Oled's pretty difficult to work with calibration wise, ABL is kind of unpredictable.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 09:32:43 »
Oled's pretty difficult to work with calibration wise, ABL is kind of unpredictable.

Is there a special tool you use to calibrate your TVs? I have never done it, but have been told there are some real visual gains to be had with calibrating your monitors/Tvs.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 10:17:30 »
Is there a special tool you use to calibrate your TVs? I have never done it, but have been told there are some real visual gains to be had with calibrating your monitors/Tvs.

It depends on what you're after. The goal of calibration is not merely accuracy, it's supposed to make things Look-Good, and Most of the times, that means making an accurate picture alot less accurate.

Pantone has a monopoly on the color science licensing stuff, so essentially they are the defacto, and their subs Xrite now rebranded Calibrite makes the colorimeters that work with most modern devices.

There are more accurate radiometers, but they're not worth it for home use.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 10:27:42 »

It depends on what you're after. The goal of calibration is not merely accuracy, it's supposed to make things Look-Good, and Most of the times, that means making an accurate picture alot less accurate.

Pantone has a monopoly on the color science licensing stuff, so essentially they are the defacto, and their subs Xrite now rebranded Calibrite makes the colorimeters that work with most modern devices.

There are more accurate radiometers, but they're not worth it for home use.

Mainly curiosity at this point. I often read about how much improvement you can get if you calibrate, but all my media is streamed and my kids are watching Disney shows so it's not like I'm using 4k Bluray disks. Maybe chasing a rabbit that doesn't exist?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 14:01:28 »
Mainly curiosity at this point. I often read about how much improvement you can get if you calibrate, but all my media is streamed and my kids are watching Disney shows so it's not like I'm using 4k Bluray disks. Maybe chasing a rabbit that doesn't exist?

For general use, you just need to get some basic figures dialed in, and do the rest by taste. You also have to balance viewing conditions with your own preferences.

Absolute accuracy requires some very expensive transform hardware and alot of education on how to use them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 22:04:09 »
This thing uses quite alot more power than LCDs of the same brightness setting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 00:36:29 »
Ok, so you have to turn, Off, the Peak Brightness setting to calibrate for low nits SDR, or else it won't match the saturation targets. Peak Brightness is an ABL setting ontop of ABL.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 18:54:12 »
This would be a pretty good Photoshop monitor. The color gamut is enormous and it has 200 nit full field without kicking into ABL.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 22:42:48 »
Thought SD was going to be bad, but it's actually not awful. Even low-bitrate anime looks ok. Yes it's very soft and a bit blocky here and there, nostalgic in a way.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 16:15:22 »
Wow, wth this TV is really picky about the cables. Only an hdmi 2.1 rated cable works. The other cables periodically goes black screen.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 07:12:12 »
This really grinds Tp4's gears. The samsung only has 2 accessible settings in PC mode. 1 is FANTASTIC. The other one is just too-color and kind of unusable, especially the Green channel.

great
305991-0

wth even is this, why would anyone need so much green so fast.
305989-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 07:35:02 »
It would be kind of nice, if they brought back big Curved sizes. 77 inch would look really nice curved.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 23:01:46 »
Bah, This TV's Color management system is not very robust, correcting mid-tones can lead to banding. The GPU's table correction is the safe way to do it. Just change the white point, and do the rest on PC.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 15:48:38 »
If going 55 inch and above, OLED is really the best option.  The bigger the TV is the more detail you move to the periphery, this necessitates good viewing angles which VA does not have. Mainly gamma drift is the issue, even if you're ok with color loss.

Samsung's oled is much improved from that of LG. The LG has a hue off axis and some color loss. Sam is virtually perfect from any realistic viewing angle.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 11:53:23 »
personally want to get a 40-43" to replace the 9yr old Samsung 32" I have in the bedroom (actually surprised it has lasted this long), which I have noticed color is no longer uniform so I fear the panel is on its way out.  Wife not wanting to use the 55" LG I have in storage in the bedroom as it is "too big" for the room (small bedroom) - I understand why as she prefers to sleep with the TV on and I have just gone with it for the past 10yrs (I prefer no tv and complete darkness) - so far not sure what to look at as I want something non-smart/4K/120Hz+/40-43", not alot or any options so far other than using a PC monitor but then I have to find a way to hook up audio (since monitor speakers are horrible).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 12:06:33 »
personally want to get a 40-43" to replace the 9yr old Samsung 32" I have in the bedroom (actually surprised it has lasted this long), which I have noticed color is no longer uniform so I fear the panel is on its way out.  Wife not wanting to use the 55" LG I have in storage in the bedroom as it is "too big" for the room (small bedroom) - I understand why as she prefers to sleep with the TV on and I have just gone with it for the past 10yrs (I prefer no tv and complete darkness) - so far not sure what to look at as I want something non-smart/4K/120Hz+/40-43", not alot or any options so far other than using a PC monitor but then I have to find a way to hook up audio (since monitor speakers are horrible).

Well, you're not gonna want anything expensive if it's gonna burn the mid-night oil while you're not watching it.

If you get those $200-300  TCL/Hisense sets, they're like 55-65 inches. If you keep it on low brightness they will last quite a while.  If you push them to max brightness though, the LED backlight will burn out pretty fast.

A tv is basically a consumable, because the backlight is burning out as long as its on. The lcd panel which goes in front of the backlight is actually 100% fine. These typically last forever, as long as the tcon board holds out. The tcon usually rusts or overheats, if it blows.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 14:52:10 »

she prefers to sleep with the TV on

complete darkness

OMFG !!!

And are you talking about both sound and picture?

I cannot even imagine it ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 10:35:46 »

she prefers to sleep with the TV on

complete darkness

OMFG !!!

And are you talking about both sound and picture?

I cannot even imagine it ....
yup sound and picture - sound I can tune out, picture I have occasional issues with due to scenes changes causing a flicker when my eyes are closed, so it causes me to wake back up to see what is happening.  Normally she leaves certain shows on where it's over night scenes so flicker isn't bad (Expedtion Unknown/X and Destination Truth) - also I tend to turn the volume way down. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 10:58:56 »

sound I can tune out

Nowadays I am fortunate to live in a very quiet environment (since my previous next-door neighbor with a horrible dog moved away), but I need near-silence to sleep well.

I was also lucky that both of my kids, once they got out of diapers, were very good sleepers.