Author Topic: No groveling...engaging interest...  (Read 4381 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
No groveling...engaging interest...
« on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 10:22:53 »
At the risk of losing the opportunity to either have a chance to purchase stuff or to get something free, I am posing this question: Why are there so many threads that invite people to grovel for stuff? Is this becoming the GH version of a selfie?

Thoughts?

Due to overwhelming ideas and opinions, I have edited this initial post to reflect the notions being expressed by most. Let it be known that I am not above reproach, and certainly reserve the right to be dead wrong about my own forgone conclusions. My apologies...
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 11:49:36 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Invitations to grovel...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 10:25:19 »
That's how people get 'popular' around here.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 10:29:17 »
If they put effort in their post, they're probably less likely to flip it in the future.  No one wants to do a giveaway for a clack/bro and see it flipped for hundreds shortly after.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 10:46:30 »
That's how people get 'popular' around here.

I thought that might be the case.

If they put effort in their post, they're probably less likely to flip it in the future.  No one wants to do a giveaway for a clack/bro and see it flipped for hundreds shortly after.

I can understand that. Makes sense.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 10:47:23 »
I don't think its so much that people want their ass kissed as it is a way to sell the keys without doing a first-come-first-served style sale. You could always do a raffle but inviting people to talk about why they like key X, Y, or Z is more engaging to the community vs. having a bunch of people just post "in".

The thing that annoys me way more than that are the sales/giveaways with the requirement that you don't have any of that particular artisans keys (ie. nubb-less, clack-less, etc). Getting penalized because I've gotten lucky in past sales is frustrating. I understand that they want to give their key(s) out to noobs and what-not and thats entirely within their right to do, but for people like me trying to grow a collection it can be frustrating.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:02:26 »
I've sold things that I was eh in the past; but if I acquired some Jelly POM's I'd probably request to be buried with them.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:10:00 »
when i give things away i invite people to insult me

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:21:01 »
when i give things away i invite people to insult me

Nooooice!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:32:02 »
I don't think its so much that people want their ass kissed as it is a way to sell the keys without doing a first-come-first-served style sale. You could always do a raffle but inviting people to talk about why they like key X, Y, or Z is more engaging to the community vs. having a bunch of people just post "in".

This. I just didnt want 10,000 posts that said 'in', if you explain why you want a Bro you probably arent going to sell it in a month

As for why only BroLess? The current cap im giving away is going to the Broless simply because it was given to me and i feel someone without a Bro should get it.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 11:45:21 »

This. I just didnt want 10,000 posts that said 'in', if you explain why you want a Bro you probably arent going to sell it in a month

As for why only BroLess? The current cap im giving away is going to the Broless simply because it was given to me and i feel someone without a Bro should get it.

I hope that posting this thread doesn't hurt my chances with yours...I was just curious about Hoff's primarily.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:37:46 »

That's fine, I wasn't implying that I felt you were in the wrong. It's your key and you are welcome to set whatever requirement you like. If you only wanted to allow people with the name Rick enter the giveaway that's entirely your call. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to set whatever requirement they want.

My complaint with that system is that it values noobs above collectors. I treasure every artisan key I score and it's essentially the same difficulty for me to acquire a new key as it is for any new member. I can trade and get new keys but it's just as hard for me to grow a collection as it is for someone with no keys. Naturally, I'm not going to like someone else getting an advantage over me for something I can't change.

I also wasn't referencing just your giveaway as there have been a couple bro/cc/etc-less giveaways in the time I've been here.

I'm honestly happy to see you giving the key away. You could have just as easily done like pacifist and sold it for a huge markup. I'm just jelly that I'm not eligible for those types of giveaways is all.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:42:36 »
I'm just asking people to write letters to their beloved friends and family for my ****ty keys.

**** me, right??
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:48:36 »

Exactly this.  When you're trying to ensure reasonable prices and want someone to appreciate them, you want to see that it will go to someone who will appreciate it. Sometimes that means sending off a cap to someone you know will love it and hold onto it, sometimes it means hitting up that one person you see around and know would be great with it, and sometimes it means putting up a classifieds or giveaway asking people to put some effort in to show that they are going to appreciate it and not flip it.

My complaint with that system is that it values noobs above collectors.

I see no problem with that given that, historically, it is the exact opposite.  The system has generally favored collectors and those with wads of cash.  I see "collectors" (read hoarders) as part of the problem with the way that prices go with artisan caps.  You end up getting a small set of people with a ton of them, creating more scarcity, driving up prices even more.  If "collectors" let go of caps they didn't use or, for some reason, absolutely have to have, we would see more people with caps and more reasonable prices.  It's why I prefer my caps to go to someone without any or with very few of them over someone with a massive collection.

And I wouldn't say it's noobs vs collectors as there are those who have been members for a long time who have never gotten one.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 12:51:27 »
I'm just asking people to write letters to their beloved friends and family for my ****ty keys.

**** me, right??

Not at all.

The main reason I posted this was to get people's thoughts about it. I have trouble trying to come up with some clever way to beg...I was just curious as to others thoughts on the subject. As John Donne says, 'No man is an island.' I placed my curiosity up for a forum debate. I take no sides on the issue.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:09:50 »

**** me, right??

Not at all.

The main reason I posted this was to get people's thoughts about it. I have trouble trying to come up with some clever way to beg...I was just curious as to others thoughts on the subject. As John Donne says, 'No man is an island.' I placed my curiosity up for a forum debate. I take no sides on the issue.

I think asking people to do something creative is better than begging or pleading for prizes.  Sometimes it's just hard to figure out the best thing to do.  I think the difficulty of coming up with an original way to allow people to submit their entries is difficult.  Right now my giveaway isn't attracting a lot of attention, probably because of the requirements, and that's fine with me.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:17:14 »

**** me, right??

Not at all.

I think asking people to do something creative is better than begging or pleading for prizes.  Sometimes it's just hard to figure out the best thing to do.  I think the difficulty of coming up with an original way to allow people to submit their entries is difficult.  Right now my giveaway isn't attracting a lot of attention, probably because of the requirements, and that's fine with me.

Honestly, I weren't on my radar until now...I will definitely check out what you got going on. This post was not inspired by yours, I can assure you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:21:51 »
I got you 00zero. When I give away my bro bot later year, I'll be sure to exclude you. Wouldn't want you to grovel or anything. I certainly look forward to looking like an ******* for giving something away for free.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:23:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:29:24 »
I got you 00zero. When I give away my bro bot later year, I'll be sure to exclude you. Wouldn't want you to grovel or anything. I certainly look forward to looking like an ******* for giving something away for free.

Ouch. Not my intention at all. I don't want anyone to look like anything. It was question as to why ask people to beg for a chance to purchase more than giving stuff away.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:36:03 »
The fact that you're calling asking for reasons to value someone's $35 over another "grovelling", "kissing ass" and "begging" is probably why people think it's your intention. 

Selling custom caps is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario in this case because said person could just sell at the threshold of secondhand pricing and be vilified for not making it more easy for the noobs to get or be villified for equalizing the playing field for noobs by asking why they want a cap before selling it at retail or lower.

What's the point of doing giveaways or low cost cap sales if the people that do it are going to be put on blast for doing it and be accused of making people beg, grovel and kiss ass to get it.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:39:28 »
The fact that you're calling asking for reasons to value someone's $35 over another "grovelling", "kissing ass" and "begging" is probably why people think it's your intention. 

Selling custom caps is a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario in this case because said person could just sell at the threshold of secondhand pricing and be vilified for not making it more easy for the noobs to get or be villified for equalizing the playing field for noobs by asking why they want a cap before selling it at retail or lower.

What's the point of doing giveaways or low cost cap sales if the people that do it are going to be put on blast for doing it and be accused of making people beg, grovel and kiss ass to get it.

Good point...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: They are not invitations to grovel...but opportunities to gauge interest...
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:44:17 »
edit: check OP. Now complete with condolences...and sincerest regrets for insinuations...

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 14:25:34 »

**** me, right??

Totally pictured this

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:14:47 »
I always thought you don't want to give something away for free. Like, ask them to draw you something or write something to earn the free loot. Not just a thread where people unload their sob stories that may or may not be true. Just one man's opinion  :cool:

But the people who hold giveaways usually are doing out of the kindness of their heart, and at their own expense so it's a nice gesture no matter how you slice it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:16:52 by noisyturtle »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:22:17 »
I always thought you don't want to give something away for free. Like, ask them to draw you something or write something to earn the free loot. Not just a thread where people unload their sob stories that may or may not be true. Just one man's opinion  :cool:

But the people who hold giveaways usually are doing out of the kindness of their heart, and at their own expense so it's a nice gesture no matter how you slice it.

My point entirely. Your response is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

My initial post had biting undertones that I thought was clever ways to convey thought, but it actually backfired on me as soon everyone was circling me thinking I was attacking them passively. It was not the case.

----

To all those who may have been offended in my OP early this morning, again I extend my apologies.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 16:25:24 »

My point entirely. Your response is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

My initial post had biting undertones that I thought was clever ways to convey thought, but it actually backfired on me as soon everyone was circling me thinking I was attacking them passively. It was not the case.

----

To all those who may have been offended in my OP early this morning, again I extend my apologies.

People are experts at turning around quotes here and creating drama, I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: No groveling...engaging interest...
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 17:30:48 »
So this thread exists...

And I've managed to piss someone off by selling caps at retail. That's new.

It's **** like this that makes me want to just get rid of them all.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 17:33:25 »

I agree! Just give them all to me and wash your hands of this whole thing. I will carry your burden Hoff!  ;D

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 17:36:10 »
So this thread exists...

And I've managed to piss someone off by selling caps at retail. That's new.

For the record I am not angry with anyone. I certainly have no problem paying retail.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:11:12 »
OP, maybe you should try looking it differently.

How about instead of making it seem like people are doing this solely for attention (please, Nubbs, Hoff, sorry single you guys out, but you really don't need to pull any stunts to gain the respect you already have), consider it as people being charitable and generous, letting go of some of their personal hard-to-come-by rare collectibles at an affordable price, so that other less fortunate and actually want to use such a keycap can have the chance at obtaining it, instead of letting it collect dust in their collection.

Why do you feel that they are doing this solely for the sake of attention? Also, the people posting on the threads for the chance to buy one of these keycaps aren't exactly grovelling. How else would we determine who to sell the keycaps to, if we don't post a simple explanation of how we're going to use it? I feel it's nothing like what you're insinuating.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:13:24 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:13:28 »
wait wait.

i can get my ass kissed?

****, now i know what my requirement will be for my next sale.

I
The thing that annoys me way more than that are the sales/giveaways with the requirement that you don't have any of that particular artisans keys (ie. nubb-less, clack-less, etc). Getting penalized because I've gotten lucky in past sales is frustrating. I understand that they want to give their key(s) out to noobs and what-not and thats entirely within their right to do, but for people like me trying to grow a collection it can be frustrating.

personally, this is my reason why.

when i did my candycorn sale, i specifically wanted people that did not have a clack for the sake of them starting off their collection. i've already said this but, the "big" collectors only do that "i dont sell, i only trade" ****. so, i'd like to give newer people something to start with. and, a certain member who shall remain nameless put in his bid to buy my clack.. only for me to go into classifieds and see that same person trying to trade a candycorn skull they already had.

so yeah, i single out -insert artisan cap here- owners. and i will continue to do so.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:22:45 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:36:54 »
Could someone link an "example"  of alleged "grovelling"  thread...

I haven't seen any as described... 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 18:47:13 »
wait wait.

i can get my ass kissed?

All you had to do is ask demik. 

And by that I mean I'm sure I could find someone who would gladly give you that sweet sweet bung blast.

when i did my candycorn sale, i specifically wanted people that did not have a clack for the sake of them starting off their collection. i've already said this but, the "big" collectors only do that "i dont sell, i only trade" ****. so, i'd like to give newer people something to start with. and, a certain member who shall remain nameless put in his bid to buy my clack.. only for me to go into classifieds and see that same person trying to trade a candycorn skull they already had.

so yeah, i single out -insert artisan cap here- owners. and i will continue to do so.

You hit the crux of the problem.  You either have to have good stuff to trade or have to be willing to offer insane amounts of money for people to profit off of something they put no work into in order to get some caps.  Everyone has to start somewhere and most people either don't have that kind of money to spend or aren't willing to spend that kind of money.

To me, these things are supposed to be a fun little part of community and they always seem to bring out the worst in people and make it about ****ing people over.