Author Topic: Do desildering size pum matters??  (Read 1299 times)

Offline SamsulSamusi

Do desildering size pum matters??
« on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 07:35:29 »
I just started on soldering my keyboard and i just want to test how to solder and desolder. Soldering went pretty good but I can’t desolder even when after watching tutorials. I notice that my pump is bigger than other i see on youtube (it’s the goot gs-100). I start wondering it is because my desolder pump to big?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Do desildering size pum matters??
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 07:39:37 »
Could be the type of solder you are using, if you use non-lead solder the pump has issues picking it up.  Again you can use a desoldering wick over the pump as well.  The pump I used wasn't as small as some of the YT'ers that I've seen (Tenma Desoldering Pump - looks like a Hakko manual pump) and I have minimal issues since iKBC used lead based solder on the board I desoldered - only issues I ran into was the butane based iron I was using from Snap-On (works well in a pinch since I used it for automotive reasons - stays in my mobile tool kit for when I go trail riding/overlanding).

The pump I used:
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2021, 07:44:40 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 11:10:00 »
A bigger pump sucks more (in a good way) but it may have a nozzle that's too big for the job.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:55:44 »
A bigger pump sucks more (in a good way) but it may have a nozzle that's too big for the job.

lmao, my mind went straight to the gutter with that. . .    :D

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 14:11:12 »
Bigger is better because you get a slightly longer/bigger suction as the displacement volume and spring cavity are larger.

Offline SamsulSamusi

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 20:22:54 »
Could be the type of solder you are using, if you use non-lead solder the pump has issues picking it up.  Again you can use a desoldering wick over the pump as well.  The pump I used wasn't as small as some of the YT'ers that I've seen (Tenma Desoldering Pump - looks like a Hakko manual pump) and I have minimal issues since iKBC used lead based solder on the board I desoldered - only issues I ran into was the butane based iron I was using from Snap-On (works well in a pinch since I used it for automotive reasons - stays in my mobile tool kit for when I go trail riding/overlanding).

The pump I used:
Show Image

How about adding flux? Is it gonna help?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2021, 20:24:57 by SamsulSamusi »

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 01:16:46 »
How about adding flux? Is it gonna help?
adding flux not much, adding solder actually often can, especially on unleaded boards when you add leaded solder you will lower the solder melting point making it easier to remove. maybe increasing your iron temperature by a smidgen may also help (although not too much else you may burn the bonding glue between the copper and substrate)
i tried quite a few pumps and only had problems when the tip melts and so does no longer apply good suction or when it clogs up (solder can stick to the walls in the tip and restrict the air flow if not outright block it) i do not know if your particular model is prone to those problems though.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 05:59:27 »
Check and see how much it's actually sucking when it retracts.
The one I got was horrible and almost zero suction out of it, I ended up greasing the seal and that helped it get some suction.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion