Author Topic: Hacking the Matrix - KBT Poker & Race PCB Mods  (Read 2764 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Hacking the Matrix - KBT Poker & Race PCB Mods
« on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 11:12:20 »
I have physical examples of the KBT Poker and Race 60% and 75% keyboards.  (A KBT Pure 60% is on its way.)  As with all keyboards smaller than a TKL, the designers have had to make choices and compromises.  Unfortunately, their choices don't always match mine -- and maybe not yours.

Both the Poker and Race use the Holtek HT82K94E programmable keyboard controller, which cannot be modified and does not have a hard-coded switch matrix.  However, after some testing with jumpers, a continuity tester, and the Linux program "xev", I have determined that KBT/Vortex have used the switch map from the Holtek HT82K629A.  This means that if you are comfortable with solder, cutting traces, and voiding warranties, you can move the keys to new places in the matrix.

For example, the only function key I use on the Race is Fn-Delete for Insert.  In my case, I would like to re-map the Fn key to generate the scan code for Insert.  But since the actual "Fn" key does not produce a scan code, I cannot re-map it in software.

So I hacked the matrix, and discovered that "Insert" is at the intersection of PgUp and KP_Up (the 8/up arrow key on a ten-key pad.)  This is wierd, because it means that instead of using the actual Up, Down, Left and Right key mapping, Vortex used the ten-key pad equivalent.  But since they did that in software, we can use a hardware fix to "move" the Fn switch to the Insert position on the Race matrix.

I'll post pictures, etc. for this and the mods I plan for the Poker PCB, but here is how to convert a Race Fn key to a hardware Insert key. THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ELIMINATE THE FN KEY ALTOGETHER.  IT MIGHT DESTROY YOUR KEYBOARD.

1. Solder a jumper wire from the RH lead of the Fn switch to the RH lead of the Up arrow switch.
2. Solder a jumper wire from the + terminal of the Fn switch diode (D7) to the + terminal of the PgUp switch diode (D78).
3. Cut the trace that comes from the + terminal of the Fn switch diode (D7) approximately 10mm below the diode.

In this thread I  will post pictures and results of this mod, and others I will make to the Poker.  I may (possibly) also mod the Race with a micro-switch to re-enable the Fn key so I can use it to turn the LEDs on, etc.

Remember, PCB mods are not for everyone, and can damage or destroy the keyboard (and its warranty!)

But if you like the idea of re-programming your Vortex keyboard with a soldering iron, then this thread may be for you.

NOTE: geekhack.org is in no way responsible for my comments, this post, or (especially) your actions!

Enjoy!  :D

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Hacking the Matrix - KBT Poker & Race PCB Mods
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 11:23:52 »
Interesting mod Ron! In before people complain about no pictures;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 11:52:10 »
Hmmm..... Well... lets go over the pros and cons

Your hack

vs

Portable installation of Autohotkey..

Autohotkey:

Pro
powerful configuration, any combination you can think of, you can readily implement within minutes.
Con
Carry around a USB thumb drive with pre-configured exe.. Along with the keyboard

Keyboard Hack
Pro
no need to carry a usb thumb drive
Con
Hours making this **** happen.

Well.. I suppose it comes down to HOW often you'll be carrying around a keyboard and how much time you'll spend making this hardware mod vs how much time you'd save by "installing" autohotkey on foreign computers....

the answer is obvious.. but I'm open minded, assuming you can make this happen in the next 20 minutes that it would take a complete novice to setup an autohotkey script

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 12:47:12 »
Hmmm..... Well... lets go over the pros and cons

Your hack

vs

Portable installation of Autohotkey..

Autohotkey:

Pro
powerful configuration, any combination you can think of, you can readily implement within minutes.
Con
Carry around a USB thumb drive with pre-configured exe.. Along with the keyboard

Keyboard Hack
Pro
no need to carry a usb thumb drive
Con
Hours making this **** happen.

Well.. I suppose it comes down to HOW often you'll be carrying around a keyboard and how much time you'll spend making this hardware mod vs how much time you'd save by "installing" autohotkey on foreign computers....

the answer is obvious.. but I'm open minded, assuming you can make this happen in the next 20 minutes that it would take a complete novice to setup an autohotkey script

Did you miss the point I made that the Fn key generates no scan code for AutoHotKey to pick up?  I think it can't be done or I would have done it.

For example, the only function key I use on the Race is Fn-Delete for Insert.  In my case, I would like to re-map the Fn key to generate the scan code for Insert.  But since the actual "Fn" key does not produce a scan code, I cannot re-map it in software.

Please show me either AHK or xmodmap lines that can modify the behavior of a key that doesn't send a scan code to the PC.  I'm happy to be wrong in this instance.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case