Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 117729 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 22:12:50 »
A bit more polish... as if Microsoft hasn't had enough time to figure this crap out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 03:42:58 »
A bit more polish... as if Microsoft hasn't had enough time to figure this crap out.

Polished enough yet ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 03:44:14 »
I really like the aesthetic of the OS and integration with iOS.
Mac users often talk about this, but honestly, it's not nearly as great as they think it is and is far worse than outsiders think.

While it works fine, using OSX feels very clunky. It hasn't scaled well with technology (newer hardware bring expected increased speeds compared to Linux and Windows) and while the interface looks great, it was designed to be simple and look great sitting in a store or on a desk. If you're a person who has 3 or more things running at once, the interface quickly looses it's appeal, especially on a desktop with multiple screens and a mouse. In such a use case, the OS has more in common with XP than the slick functionality people rave about.

That said, if done right, a Hackintosh works perfectly fine, so well in fact that many Mac power users are building them instead of buying Apple computers, at least on the desktop. If you want a mac laptop, buy an Apple product, though I hesitate to recommend any Apple computer currently being sold.

Also, Madvr doesn't work on OSX..

So... that basically means one can't watch movies on OSX

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 04:36:43 »
Apple has had a teensy bit longer.

Not sure what you're on about here, I've never had a problem playing something on OSX using VLC.

You can do just about anything in Mac as you can in Windows, you just may have to pay a bit more for it. Mac is extremely capitalistic, often bordering on highway robbery.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 05:07:30 »

Not sure what you're on about here, I've never had a problem playing something on OSX using VLC.

You can do just about anything in Mac as you can in Windows, you just may have to pay a bit more for it. Mac is extremely capitalistic, often bordering on highway robbery.

Madvr is currently the only playback block which offers full 1D + 3DLut color correction.

OSX will give you a picture,  but that picture is wrong.. and the OS itself only accepts 1D correction (white point, gamma and grey), but NO Gamut correction.

Only color managed applications such as Madvr+Mpc can reproduce Movies as intended..

https://www.lightillusion.com/luts.html

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 08:42:03 »
Apple has had a teensy bit longer.

I'd imagine Apple knows the importance of having software testers for their enterprise, cloud, and home OSX variants.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 19:28:50 »
Madvr is currently the only playback block which offers full 1D + 3DLut color correction.

OSX will give you a picture,  but that picture is wrong.. and the OS itself only accepts 1D correction (white point, gamma and grey), but NO Gamut correction.

Only color managed applications such as Madvr+Mpc can reproduce Movies as intended..
Considering most of what we watch on a computer is compressed, that's not exactly a consideration for most people. 

Most people can't even be bothered to disable motion smoothing (interpolation) on their tv's, which drives me insane. Which is why most people don't own a color calibration tool, nor do they care to. In fact most people I do work for have no clue about monitor color and tend to buy the biggest, cheapest screen they can,  or simply use whatever monitor they have laying around. Which may not even be led backlit (do you know how far out of spec a CCFL screen is by now?).

Then there is the fact that your color correction for a movie is wrong anyhow.
Very few movies are recolored to a TV, they were actually colored for a theater screen, I.E. projection in a dark room. Even if it was recolored to produce proper tones on a TV, was it done for flat, projection, rear projection, or CRT?

At any rate...
Macs (most) don't even support surround sound, you need a dedicated DAC or high end sound card to get 5.1 or better and even then, Quicktime will not output more than stereo (I think there are exceptions but mot many). However, you don't see many people complaining do you? I can probably count the number of computers I've seen with more than 3 speakers on one hand after many years of repairing them. Why? because normal people don't care about that, and even less care about it on their computer. Which is why some newer motherboards have only 3 rear outputs... Most people don't use them. In fact when I went to figure out how to change them to support 5.1 (which requires software making it harder in Linux and Mac), the most common response I found was "Who uses analog output?". Which led me to wonder then how are people getting 5.1 without this or using an optical output and receiver? They don't. Most people use the crappy stereo speakers built into the monitor or an analog output from the back of the monitor to a pair of stereo speakers.

Why do you think people adapted to losing the audio jack so quickly?
It doesn't have to be perfect, it only has to be good enough. The same goes for color, they just want to watch Real Housewives or the Kardashians or some other garbage. Does it really matter if motion smoothing is on or the color is perfect? Heck no. Most of what is on TV and in theaters is crap anyhow.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 19:33:31 »
Question for those of you who seem to know where all the settings are on Win10. Is there an easy way to have focus follow the mouse cursor? I'd like to have the behaviour on my Windows machines match my linux, where the focus follows the mouse cursor, but the focused window is not necessarily brought to the foreground. I'd be interested in the former even if the latter isn't possible.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 21:37:59 »
Question for those of you who seem to know where all the settings are on Win10. Is there an easy way to have focus follow the mouse cursor? I'd like to have the behaviour on my Windows machines match my linux, where the focus follows the mouse cursor, but the focused window is not necessarily brought to the foreground. I'd be interested in the former even if the latter isn't possible.

Try X-Mouse Controls: https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/  It's probably about the closest you're going to get. 

I know that there were tweaks in windows 8, but not sure that they work in 10. 

https://winaero.com/blog/turn-on-xmouse-active-window-tracking-focus-follows-mouse-pointer-feature-in-windows-8-1-windows-8-and-windows-7/

Offline Nagato

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:26:59 »
I use Windows 10 only for gaming

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 02:14:06 »

Try X-Mouse Controls: https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/  It's probably about the closest you're going to get. 

https://winaero.com/blog/turn-on-xmouse-active-window-tracking-focus-follows-mouse-pointer-feature-in-windows-8-1-windows-8-and-windows-7/

As for most things with Windows, you have to install third party software.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 02:16:23 »
I really like the aesthetic of the OS and integration with iOS.
Mac users often talk about this, but honestly, it's not nearly as great as they think it is and is far worse than outsiders think.

While it works fine, using OSX feels very clunky. It hasn't scaled well with technology (newer hardware bring expected increased speeds compared to Linux and Windows) and while the interface looks great, it was designed to be simple and look great sitting in a store or on a desk. If you're a person who has 3 or more things running at once, the interface quickly looses it's appeal, especially on a desktop with multiple screens and a mouse. In such a use case, the OS has more in common with XP than the slick functionality people rave about.

That said, if done right, a Hackintosh works perfectly fine, so well in fact that many Mac power users are building them instead of buying Apple computers, at least on the desktop. If you want a mac laptop, buy an Apple product, though I hesitate to recommend any Apple computer currently being sold.

I usually have a dozen things running at once on two monitors at work under macOS Mojave (the latest).  Works well for me.

The only problem is the occasional app that starts on the "wrong" monitor.  Most apps you can specify you want to start on a specific monitor, a few I have not, such as Finder.  If I have focus on a window on the second monitor and start Finder, it will start on the second monitor, which is generally not what I want.  So Cmd-W (close window), click on main screen, Click Finder, all is good.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 04:53:53 »
I usually have a dozen things running at once on two monitors at work under macOS Mojave (the latest).  Works well for me.

The only problem is the occasional app that starts on the "wrong" monitor.  Most apps you can specify you want to start on a specific monitor, a few I have not, such as Finder.  If I have focus on a window on the second monitor and start Finder, it will start on the second monitor, which is generally not what I want.  So Cmd-W (close window), click on main screen, Click Finder, all is good.
Depending how how you set it up, video can't play across both screens, changing to where it does, causes conflicts with something else... I forget what.
You also can't have the dock on both, getting it to move across is a joke.

Switching tasks is fine, if you use the keyboard, but trying to switch using the mouse can mean crossing between windows or forcing the dock to popup on that screen... Also the dock hides, which can get in the way, or not come up as you need it, or it takes up part of the screen...  Or if I am on the second screen and want to launch something, again, chasing the dock. I just feel like I'm always chasing the darn thing so I can do something. And then there is how things continue to run in the background, I get that it is very good with memory, but I'm better. Just close? But again, I'm chasing the dock to locate it to shut it down.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 16:13:01 »

Neat! Will have to take a look at that
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 23:02:17 »
I'd like to have the behaviour on my Windows machines match my linux, where the focus follows the mouse cursor, but the focused window is not necessarily brought to the foreground.

Note that the biggest annoyance in this regard, scrolling in inactive windows, has been fixed in Windows 10 itself.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Darkside

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:07:50 »
Just for gaming tbh. My main is Mac OS.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 04:52:27 »

Depending how how you set it up, video can't play across both screens, changing to where it does, causes conflicts with something else... I forget what.
You also can't have the dock on both, getting it to move across is a joke.

Switching tasks is fine, if you use the keyboard, but trying to switch using the mouse can mean crossing between windows or forcing the dock to popup on that screen... Also the dock hides, which can get in the way, or not come up as you need it, or it takes up part of the screen...  Or if I am on the second screen and want to launch something, again, chasing the dock. I just feel like I'm always chasing the darn thing so I can do something. And then there is how things continue to run in the background, I get that it is very good with memory, but I'm better. Just close? But again, I'm chasing the dock to locate it to shut it down.

I don't play many videos at work, and most of those I watch on just a single screen (usually the main screen).

Chasing the Dock - maybe, although with mouse acceleration (or a sufficiently fast pointer) it's just a wrist flick to the side and click on the Dock.

Moving Dock from one screen to another is also trivial - just pull the mouse down at the bottom of the monitor where you want the Dock to appear.  A Dock split across two or more monitors would not work very well - the gap between the monitors would get in the way of Dock animations, although you can disable those too.  The same Dock appearing on each monitor?  I prefer the second monitor without Dock, then I have slightly more vertical space to arrange windows.

Most operating systems have different ways of handling multiple screens and multiple desktops - once you figure out a workflow on your particular operating system with 'n' monitors (n > 1) you are probably more efficient than someone without a workflow on a single monitor.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 18:03:12 »
Moving Dock from one screen to another is also trivial - just pull the mouse down at the bottom of the monitor where you want the Dock to appear.  A Dock split across two or more monitors would not work very well - the gap between the monitors would get in the way of Dock animations, although you can disable those too.  The same Dock appearing on each monitor?  I prefer the second monitor without Dock, then I have slightly more vertical space to arrange windows.
I tend to use each screen as a different workspace, keeping them relatively isolated from each other.
I know how to move the dock but waiting for it to kick over on a fast system can be an eternity, especially if you're work flow is moving fast. Splitting it, yeah, that doesn't work.

Also, losing that vertical space is one of my complaints about the UI. It looks great sitting idle, but in real world use you're either waiting on the dock or losing vertical space, how does that seem efficient? Worse, you are not just losing the dock space, but you also have a taskbar. Compare that to a system where you have all off it combined on a single taskbar it comes across as a poor design for actual use.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 18:13:57 »
Haven't read all the posts.  I will simply say.  My work requires a Windows workstation.  I run Win10 on my work, uhhh, workstation...

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 16:08:13 »
I'd like to have the behaviour on my Windows machines match my linux, where the focus follows the mouse cursor, but the focused window is not necessarily brought to the foreground.

Note that the biggest annoyance in this regard, scrolling in inactive windows, has been fixed in Windows 10 itself.

This behaviour has nothing to do with why I like focus follows mouse, but good to know!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:56:32 »
Well, as expected, Win10 has now exceeded Win7 installs...It's all downhill from here for Win7.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 08:36:31 »
Well, as expected, Win10 has now exceeded Win7 installs...It's all downhill from here for Win7.

Nah... 10 more years.. easily..

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 11:26:56 »
"Windows ""workstation"" "

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/15b9654e-5da7-45b7-93de-e8b63faef064/windows-10-does-not-let-cuda-applications-to-use-all-vram-on-especially-secondary-graphics-cards

For me, it's slow, stable, and bloated. Even the LTSB/C versions run sluggishly compared to 7. It has a lot of unobvious quirks if you want to poweruser your way around. It's like that cheap crap steel multitool you keep in the toolbox just because it has that weird screwdriver bit you need to keep using.

The only upside of windows 10 that I experienced is that people start to publish and maintain powershell scripts to tame that beast, like this one here:
https://github.com/Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script

edit:
I use Debian whenever possible, also maintaining several Manjaro machines. I'm considering doing a software compatibility list to see if I can remove Windows from the pipeline completely, and move the necessary stuff to OSX.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 January 2019, 11:32:43 by sinusoid »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 19:10:09 »
Nah... 10 more years.. easily..
I had a customer a few years ago who still had a Windows 98 machine running her contact list, so it's possible but I think you underestimate how badly manufacturers want Win7 to die.

I think people also forget that Win7 was already dealt a death blow by Intel and AMD over a year ago. It's not going to hang around like XP did.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 19:15:09 »
The only upside of windows 10 that I experienced is that people start to publish and maintain powershell scripts to tame that beast, like this one here:
https://github.com/Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script
While tweak tools are great, the difference in Win10 is that MS resets all of this every major updates and relocates where the tweaks reside. Yes, you can just re-run the script once it updates to match, but you are chasing updates.

Something I learned the hard way was that if you forget to update the script before running it you can brick the system. Luckily it was a fresh install and I had the customers data backed up, but it still made for a long night.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 19:15:56 »
I felt so liberated going back to Mac OS after being on Windows for a few years

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 13:18:09 »
have too little $ to buy proper Mac, and i'm tired of dualbooting linux. If i had alternative i'd probably be on something else, like Manjaro or Arch. Too little free time, too much stuff to do :(

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 20:25:02 »
While tweak tools are great, the difference in Win10 is that MS resets all of this every major updates and relocates where the tweaks reside. Yes, you can just re-run the script once it updates to match, but you are chasing updates.

Something I learned the hard way was that if you forget to update the script before running it you can brick the system. Luckily it was a fresh install and I had the customers data backed up, but it still made for a long night.

Same experience here. I disabled the automatic updates, and I'm treating every update as a potential hazard. I avoid updating during intense deadlines, or times when the windows machines need to remain functional. If something goes wrong, I nuke the system and do a fresh install. Time consuming, and not necessarily the best security practice, but it pays back in predictability and productivity.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 21:51:55 »
have too little $ to buy proper Mac, and i'm tired of dualbooting linux. If i had alternative i'd probably be on something else, like Manjaro or Arch. Too little free time, too much stuff to do :(
Very few Apple are worth the money anyhow, so no loss.

As for dual booting, i agree, it's a hassle, and worse, isn't the same as using a single OS despite how it seems. Yes, it functions as a sole OS, however when you dual boot you are way too eager to just pop back into whichever OS you are most familiar with every time you get stuck on something instead of taking the time to figure out how to do it on the other OS. Just switch and be done with it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline thearctican

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 22:55:11 »
Very few Apple are worth the money anyhow, so no loss.

As for dual booting, i agree, it's a hassle, and worse, isn't the same as using a single OS despite how it seems. Yes, it functions as a sole OS, however when you dual boot you are way too eager to just pop back into whichever OS you are most familiar with every time you get stuck on something instead of taking the time to figure out how to do it on the other OS. Just switch and be done with it.

This. I run Debian full time on my laptop, and Windows on my desktop - I really only play games on the desktop, though, so it's more or less a steam machine.
I did try the whole dual booting thing on the desktop, but I ended up just preferring Windows and repurposed the SSD Linux was installed on.

Windows 10 has been fine; It's a bit of a pain having to remember what things have to be changed in the 'settings' app versus the regular old control panel. Other than taking care of the usual fare (disabling auto updates etc. etc.) I have no complaints.

Offline MonsterZero

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 05:17:30 »
Running a heavily cut LTSC W10 (telemetry and cortana cut out) and it's the best ever (for my needs)  :D
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Offline Altis

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 20:13:53 »
Running Windows 10 on my desktop and ThinkPad. I find it to be very fast and stable, with probably the best software selection, and good use of space. I like how everything seems to respond instantly, without ever the need for having to repeat input. It's also easy to run even very old software without much issue. Having said that, the forced updates are irritating (though they haven't yet caused me grief, no doubt they will), and I don't like the direction they're taking with regards to privacy. Funny thing is when I use other Windows 10 machines they're always so miserable, usually bogged down by the awful default settings, a slow HDD, and junk software all over -- night and day difference from my systems.

macOS drives me crazy these days so I moved away from it entirely. It's so slow, constantly blocking your input, and they can't seem to even get window management right (fullscreen, snapping, etc). And these days it's full enough of issues, and updates frequently break software.

Linux is fantastic these days. Mint Xfce looks and runs very well. It still isn't quite as polished in terms of feel as Windows 10, but it's still a joy to use with so many different purposes.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

• actually, this guy
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 06:09:28 »
Mint is a security problem though.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 07:42:51 »
without ever the need for having to repeat input.

Maybe it's the versions I'm using, but I keep on having to click or press a key during logon for the password prompt to appear. This is driving me crazy. I'm used to just slamming the pass in on every linux distro I use, maybe with the exception of Manjaro+Gnome that can lag to hell.

Also, I'm absolutely bugged out by how Windows tool/app devs treat their source code. There is plenty of useful tools for Windows tweaking, labeled as opensource, but you have to PM the dev on some weird forum to get a glimpse of it. Or believe a random guy on Reddit. Or, you have a link from 3 years ago to source that got outdated. Or you get a Github/Gitlab account with an opensource script that calls a bunch of .exe files. The community mindset seems to be that if it works, it's legit. The dev mindset is TRUST ME BRO ITS 100% легит, NO VIRUS.

The tool development process is outrageous as well, it's people sending the code back and forth adding edits and signature tags who modified when and whom to credit. I appreciate the Pouet feel, but ffs we're no longer in the 90's. The arcane/magic/occult warez feel of every single f%&^$&^ thing i find is giving me oculorectal cancer. Everything outside of tools coming from disillusioned corporate greybeard admins ( think https://gist.github.com/alirobe/7f3b34ad89a159e6daa1 and the repo it's forked from) feels like script kiddie puke coming from someone who actually codes in anon-mask-gloves-and-hoodie outfit, while actually it's often made by people with vast knowledge and years of experience.

Example: install_wim_tweak.exe from https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy . Search for that one.

Or try following this bug report on Github: https://github.com/henrypp/simplewall/issues/295 . Follow the white rabbit.

This is anecdotal info from a few years back, but I've heard that in-house devs working on Windows have/had similar software development patterns. Can't blame them, though - this usually warrants employment in corporate environment.

What this results in is that tweaking anything in linux/bsd is actually more time efficient, effective, and deterministic than trying to snake-charm windows into doing what you want.

Offline Altis

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 15:58:22 »
Mint is a security problem though.

Doesn't this vulnerability apply to "most major distributions", though?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

• actually, this guy
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 16:13:15 »
Excluding Gentoo, Slackware and Void, yes. (And a few minor ones.)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 16:39:37 »
According to that article Fedora 28-29 and OpenSuse Leap 15.0 are also excluded from the distros that are vulnerable.

More on topic: I'd say that even though my KDE/Plasma experience has been limited to a solid week of testing, I've already noticed significant polish/UI upgrades in comparison to my Win10 experience (same hardware).  Never thought I'd say that that.  Still KDE/Plasma is not for everyone--thought I'd throw that out into the ether.  If it wasn't for my issues with Win10 pcie wifi support I wouldn't have switched to Linux in the first place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 19:46:32 »
Maybe it's the versions I'm using, but I keep on having to click or press a key during logon for the password prompt to appear. This is driving me crazy. I'm used to just slamming the pass in on every linux distro I use, maybe with the exception of Manjaro+Gnome that can lag to hell.
Sounds like the display manager (in this case probably GDM) causing this. There is probably an option to change that.

Also, I'm absolutely bugged out by how Windows tool/app devs treat their source code. There is plenty of useful tools for Windows tweaking, labeled as opensource, but you have to PM the dev on some weird forum to get a glimpse of it. Or believe a random guy on Reddit. Or, you have a link from 3 years ago to source that got outdated. Or you get a Github/Gitlab account with an opensource script that calls a bunch of .exe files. The community mindset seems to be that if it works, it's legit. The dev mindset is TRUST ME BRO ITS 100% легит, NO VIRUS.

I ran into this exact problem just 2 days ago when looking for a Hiren's boot cd so I could fix a Windows password issue.
I found a .com, and a .org, as well as many other sites hosting copies of it. So which is authentic? None actually. Hiren stopped development on it in 2012 (which I was aware of). A community picked it up, but so have scammers and anyone who thought they could make a buck selling his work.

Example: install_wim_tweak.exe from https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy . Search for that one.

Windows 10 privacy...  There are so many clones, fakes and similarly named programs it's insane. Pretty much anything claiming privacy in Win10 should be treated the same as anti-malware, most of it is BS and will probably do more harm than good. Be warned, if Windows updates and the tool has not you can brick the install. I'm sure you can figure out how I know this.

I've not used the one listed, but I have used these and they have a decent reputation. Or did when I was using them.
O&O Shutup 10 - Easy, simple, but not as thorough. Should be safe for most people.
Ashampoo Antispy - Similar to the above, but may be a bit more thorough (been a while since I used some of these).
Win10 privacy - This was one of the first real in depth tools. It's probably one of the most brutal and will gut Win10 to the extent it gimps the OS. Not for the timid or inexperienced. You can really mess up your system with this if you push it too far.

After dealing with Win10 and how fragile it can be (I've killed it more than a few times), I don't install anything on my system or customer systems without testing it in a VM first to check for crashing and secondary installs, then hit it with an AV scan and sometimes a firewall check as well.  I don't trust the Win10 ecosystem at all.
I've reached a point now where I pretty much won't install anything on Windows I have not tested before without running it in a virtual system
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 19:49:02 »
and good use of space.
It is by far the most bloated OS you can use today, and that was before they announced the new 7GB space grab.*

*Win10 is now going to reserve an extra 7 gigs to make sure updates actually install. Why they were not checking for drive space requirements before installing patches before, I have no idea, but apparently they were not and updates were failing. Good luck to anyone running Win10 on a 32gig ssd.

I'd say that even though my KDE/Plasma experience has been limited to a solid week of testing, I've already noticed significant polish/UI upgrades in comparison to my Win10 experience (same hardware).  Never thought I'd say that that. 
It's surprisingly good.
Theme options could be better, maybe a bit faster to boot up, but otherwise, yeah, I'm liking it.  More stable than Gnome and Cinnamon was for me.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 22:30:21 »
and good use of space.
It is by far the most bloated OS you can use today, and that was before they announced the new 7GB space grab.*

*Win10 is now going to reserve an extra 7 gigs to make sure updates actually install. Why they were not checking for drive space requirements before installing patches before, I have no idea, but apparently they were not and updates were failing. Good luck to anyone running Win10 on a 32gig ssd.

I should have been more clear, I was thinking of good use of screen space when I said that. Not all that different from Xfce, mind you, but much better than Apple's seemingly near-random windows floating around. Not sure how many people are using 32 GB drives these days but you're right.

After dealing with Win10 and how fragile it can be (I've killed it more than a few times), I don't install anything on my system or customer systems without testing it in a VM first to check for crashing and secondary installs, then hit it with an AV scan and sometimes a firewall check as well.  I don't trust the Win10 ecosystem at all.
I've reached a point now where I pretty much won't install anything on Windows I have not tested before without running it in a virtual system

I'm sure your experience with it is far more thorough and advanced than mine. Having said that, I've pretty much never had an issue with anything with semi-advanced consumer use.

By comparison, I've had such stupid stuff go wrong with macOS these days. I tried upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra on one of our MacBook Pros, and it required the drive to be formatted in APFS... only, once it formatted APFS it couldn't use it because the firmware had not yet been updated to support APFS, which happens apparently when you install High Sierra. To make things worse, the disk tool wouldn't reformat the drive at all in any sense (other than to reformat APFS), so I had to remove the drive and mount it on my Windows desktop to reformat it and try again. I'm having a heck of a time just getting the thing going, with even the internet restore not working. Such simple things shouldn't be such trouble, but alas, this is the state of computing in 2019 it would seem.  :-X

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 01:37:20 »
I should have been more clear, I was thinking of good use of screen space when I said that. Not all that different from Xfce, mind you, but much better than Apple's seemingly near-random windows floating around. Not sure how many people are using 32 GB drives these days but you're right.
That makes more sense, and yeah, it's pretty good on that front.

There are a TON of sub $300 laptops, tablets and mini desktops using 32gig flash storage.

I'm sure your experience with it is far more thorough and advanced than mine. Having said that, I've pretty much never had an issue with anything with semi-advanced consumer use.

By comparison, I've had such stupid stuff go wrong with macOS these days. I tried upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra on one of our MacBook Pros, and it required the drive to be formatted in APFS... only, once it formatted APFS it couldn't use it because the firmware had not yet been updated to support APFS, which happens apparently when you install High Sierra. To make things worse, the disk tool wouldn't reformat the drive at all in any sense (other than to reformat APFS), so I had to remove the drive and mount it on my Windows desktop to reformat it and try again. I'm having a heck of a time just getting the thing going, with even the internet restore not working. Such simple things shouldn't be such trouble, but alas, this is the state of computing in 2019 it would seem.  :-X

It's probably safe to say at this point that you've used Win10 way more than I have.
The only time I use Win10 is either setting up a new system or when it has issues, my customers have only managed to escaped a couple high profile issues. I have a laptop or two with Win10, but I mostly keep them in case I need to walk someone through a problem over the phone or experimentation, they aren't used otherwise.

Kind of surprised at the Mac, then again, I've thought for a while Apple has let it fall into disrepair. I don't care what Apple says, I give it 2-3 years before everything is basically an Ipad Pro.

My advice, format it with Linux, it can often fix Mac drive problems, if that fails, use a Windows install disk, that will guaranteed redo all the partitions on it (seriously, Windows is a virus!). Then go download an installer for Macos and install from a thumbdrive. However... Before you do any of that, put it back in Windows or Linux and check the S.M.A.R.T. data, you may have a drive that is failing and Mac is just unable to communicate that to you. Diagnostics are something Apple fails at miserably.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 01:39:56 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 09:26:46 »
and good use of space.

I'd say that even though my KDE/Plasma experience has been limited to a solid week of testing, I've already noticed significant polish/UI upgrades in comparison to my Win10 experience (same hardware).  Never thought I'd say that that. 
It's surprisingly good.
Theme options could be better, maybe a bit faster to boot up, but otherwise, yeah, I'm liking it.  More stable than Gnome and Cinnamon was for me.

Boot time wasn't that bad once I switched to LTS.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 23:30:17 »
Boot time wasn't that bad once I switched to LTS.
It's not bad, just a bit slower. I think mine slowed about 2 seconds going from Cinnamon to KDE.

I know, some people are saying "Oh no, 2 whole seconds!"
Yes, I know, the horror, for most systems that's barely even recognizable, but on my system it signifies a 50% longer boot time when you discount bios and GRUB. For someone on a slower system, it could be a considerable time difference.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 00:42:34 »
I use Windows by choice, though I'm moving away from it and am now running Fedora on two of my home machines.

There is literally nothing I like about Mac OS and Apple computers. The keyboards suck. The touchbar and absence of Esc key suck. The lack of serviceability and upgrades sucks. The price sucks. The reliability is abysmal (20% failure rate on the fleet I manage for work). The font smoothing is ugly. No touch screens. The global menu is an abomination. The keyboard shortcuts are all wrong. The monospace fonts are ugly. The fact apps are still running and using resources even when you click the close button is wrong. The fact that alt tabbing to a minimized window literally does nothing with no feedback to the user instead of restoring the window is stupid. All the unixy stuff is in the wrong place. The semi case sensitive file system is wrong. The smugness of the rails and JavaScript devs who have embraced Macs unquestioningly is irritating. The disregard for backward compatibility sucks. Textedit is a flaming piece of **** that requires acrobatics to save files as plain text. The finder is the worst piece of **** software I have ever used. iTunes is the second worst.

Windows is good. It just works on millions of random hardware setups. But I've reached my limit with the forcible setting resets, reboots, and telemetry. So I ditched windows for Fedora and so far it's going reasonably well. Desktop Linux is still a **** show with more bugs in it than a motorcyclist's mustache, but functionally it's 90% of the way there and the stupid bugs and permanent beta software are fixable. The only worry is when I need to use Excel or Word, because libre/open office are complete tire fires.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 00:25:13 »
The keyboards suck.
The reliability is abysmal (20% failure rate on the fleet I manage for work).
No touch screens.
The fact apps are still running and using resources even when you click the close button is wrong.
The disregard for backward compatibility sucks.
The older keyboards were pretty good, their quest for thinner and thinner was their downfall. We've passed the point of practicality.
Never buy anything with a dedicated GPU from Apple unless it can be swapped. It's not always Apple's fault, but regardless of who's fault, it always ends bad.
I go out of my way to avoid buying laptops with touch screens as they're glossy, add cost, use battery and add size and weight for something I don't use.
Like Android, memory management compensates for these idle programs quite well. I don't like it, but it does work. It's why a Mac can run decent on just 4gb of ram.
Some backwards compatibility is good, Windows puts too much emphasis on this while Apple puts too little.

Desktop Linux is still a **** show with more bugs in it than a motorcyclist's mustache, but functionally it's 90% of the way there and the stupid bugs and permanent beta software are fixable.
As you have found, you have to pick your trade-offs with every OS.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 12:57:44 »

It's probably safe to say at this point that you've used Win10 way more than I have.
The only time I use Win10 is either setting up a new system or when it has issues, my customers have only managed to escaped a couple high profile issues. I have a laptop or two with Win10, but I mostly keep them in case I need to walk someone through a problem over the phone or experimentation, they aren't used otherwise.

Kind of surprised at the Mac, then again, I've thought for a while Apple has let it fall into disrepair. I don't care what Apple says, I give it 2-3 years before everything is basically an Ipad Pro.

My advice, format it with Linux, it can often fix Mac drive problems, if that fails, use a Windows install disk, that will guaranteed redo all the partitions on it (seriously, Windows is a virus!). Then go download an installer for Macos and install from a thumbdrive. However... Before you do any of that, put it back in Windows or Linux and check the S.M.A.R.T. data, you may have a drive that is failing and Mac is just unable to communicate that to you. Diagnostics are something Apple fails at miserably.

My experience with Apple computers has degraded far beyond the point where I can recommend them anymore, especially at their prices. Between all the hardware issues like the new keyboards, flexgate, the T2 chip causing all kinds of problems, the fully-soldered components with next to no ability to recover data, to macOS falling behind and apart... it just isn't a good experience anymore. I find most of what Apple does these days works against my best interest, generally in favor of theirs.

Windows 10 hasn't really missed a beat for me yet. With the direction they're taking, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I dislike their telemetry stuff and forced updates quite a bit, and it could be what drives me away from them. However, Windows has extremely good software availability (especially for engineering) and seems to work very quickly (no input blocking/animation delays) and intuitively -- after setting it up. The default settings for the Start menu and taskbar are frustrating, but at least it lets me set it more like Xfce. Windows is also the best for gaming hands down, which means I need to at least have it for that.

Linux (Mint Xfce is my current choice) is great in many ways, and I think it makes a solid daily driver for many people who need little more than a browser these days. Like everyone, I wish certain software were available but for engineering it's actually not too bad, certainly better than macOS in that regard. The freedom of Linux is a breathe of fresh air to me.

Ultimately the reason I use Windows 10 is because it works very well for me and guarantees I can do everything I need to do (and quickly, efficiently, and at a reasonable cost, at that). I'm not forced to buy hardware that I don't want just to use it, not forced into an 'ecosystem' that requires I do things a certain way that makes me worse off.

Offline qorg11

• lml viva el rock cojones lml
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 13:13:04 »
Windows? I haven't heard that operating system in years..

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 13:44:58 »
Windows? I haven't heard that operating system in years..

well lucky you!

Offline outhentusiast

• Move quickly!
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 21:01:59 »
Yes it was installed by default on my laptop, so I didn't decide to put another OS while it on warranty

But tbh, I personally like win7 and run it on my main PC

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 02:10:43 »
Yes it was installed by default on my laptop, so I didn't decide to put another OS while it on warranty

But tbh, I personally like win7 and run it on my main PC
Live dangerously!
You can image it and restore it later if you need service. Done it before.

Many manufacturers  also will not hassle you over this, but more importantly, in most countries (including the US) it's illegal to deny warranty service for such a thing so long as it did not contribute to the problem.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More