Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 117727 times)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 03:14:54 »
Time it takes Win 7 to just open a picture in the picture viewer:
>6 seconds

Time it takes Win 10 to open any picture in Win Photo Viewer:
27 seconds, just to open a picture. **** right off

the default win 10 photo viewer is the first thing i ever replace on windows - it's terrible. my favourite at the moment is ImageGlass if you want to check it out.

Offline Altis

« Reply #451 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:32:41 »
Time it takes Win 7 to just open a picture in the picture viewer:
>6 seconds

Time it takes Win 10 to open any picture in Win Photo Viewer:
27 seconds, just to open a picture. **** right off

Yep, and the controls are slow and clunky.

And if you zoom in, go to another window, when you come back it will stall for a moment then reset everything back to original zoom.

How can anyone use software like this and think "This is a great experience, big upgrade" is beyond me.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 16:21:00 »
When I switched on my tablet with MS-Windows 10 on today, it started bugging me about wanting to restart to install an important update.
The weird thing is that the last time that the tablet was supposed to have been connected to the Internet was a year ago!
Since then, I've had networking disabled (but not unconfigured), and with Airplane mode and Battery savings mode enabled. I have switched it on (from power off) maybe for a couple hours every week in the past year.

Edit: The mandatory update took about two hours ... including the first login. I now went and disabled the network card in low-level settings, and spent a long time restoring settings and uninstalling programs. But now there are UI glitches that weren't there before and I have three icons in the task bar that are completely useless and can't be removed: including the Cortana app which when started shows an error that it isn't available in my country: Then don't enable the f-ing icon then! I can't uninstall the XBox streaming bar... because apparently being able to stream games from my underpowered tablet is essential.
Luckily, my other computers are 100% Linux.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2022, 06:15:16 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #453 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 17:29:53 »
I have a good solid modern system (Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, large disk capacity) that was built new from scratch a couple of years ago, but Windows has been nagging me for months to tell me that my system does not meet Windows 11 requirements.

Good. I will continue to look at the nag screen and then ignore it.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Altis

« Reply #454 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 16:50:25 »
After seeing previews and reviews of Windows 11, I'll keep my Windows 10 boot as long as I can for the software that needs it.

Windows 11 forces grouped taskbar and removed the ability to ungroup and use labeled individual windows. Terrible workflow for me as I like to be able to jump to specific windows quickly. Not sure why they want the macOS UI so badly, or why they can't leave the options that Windows 10 has in place.

Fortunately Linux Xfce desktop environment still provides exactly the experience I like most.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 17:17:09 »
Windows 11 forces grouped taskbar and removed the ability to ungroup and use labeled individual windows. Terrible workflow for me as I like to be able to jump to specific windows quickly. Not sure why they want the macOS UI so badly, or why they can't leave the options that Windows 10 has in place.

Fortunately Linux Xfce desktop environment still provides exactly the experience I like most.
I don't know the name of it but there is a plugin to fix some of your taskbar complaints.

The rest though, absolutely valid.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Altis

« Reply #456 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 17:47:54 »

I don't know the name of it but there is a plugin to fix some of your taskbar complaints.

The rest though, absolutely valid.

Thanks for the tip. My only experience with UI changes to Windows has been pretty poor as it caused strange issues, so I try to leave it stock (other than PowerToys), but needs-must and all!

I'm also a bit surprised that they're moving on from Windows 10 given that they seemed to suggest it would be rolling releases from 10 on out, which would make sense considering how slowly things change these days (granted that was never going to last forever). If they let me have a more classic taskbar experience and don't rule out my 4th-gen i7, that'd be great.

As a side note, I tried to install an update on a Macbook Air the other day to Big Sur through the app store, and it failed... now it won't boot and reinstalling through the system restore keeps failing. Why do I ever apply updates  :rolleyes:

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 19:48:21 »
im just straight up too stupid to swap to linux or any other superior operating system and like how most softwares and apps support win10 or are made for it, definitely think its worth it to learn about linux and maybe swap sometime but for now I just like the compatibility of win10 with having to use a VM or anything like that

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #458 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 20:57:31 »
Thanks for the tip. My only experience with UI changes to Windows has been pretty poor as it caused strange issues, so I try to leave it stock (other than PowerToys), but needs-must and all!

I'm also a bit surprised that they're moving on from Windows 10 given that they seemed to suggest it would be rolling releases from 10 on out, which would make sense considering how slowly things change these days (granted that was never going to last forever). If they let me have a more classic taskbar experience and don't rule out my 4th-gen i7, that'd be great.

As a side note, I tried to install an update on a Macbook Air the other day to Big Sur through the app store, and it failed... now it won't boot and reinstalling through the system restore keeps failing. Why do I ever apply updates  :rolleyes:
You're welcome.

Yep, any change to the UI (can and often does) lead to stability issues.

I'm not the least surprised they moved on from Win10, I was shocked they even floated the idea without it being software as a service first. Regardless, they may not have had plans to move on but a few things happened. The first was the failed dual screen laptop project, it's what lead to the UI of Win 11, they spent a lot on it and someone probably realized they could recoup that money with a new OS. While they could have rolled it into Win10, that's a pretty dramatic UI shift, so it kind of makes sense to release it fresh. The other part is obviously money, offering it as a new OS means more money, for them and for OEMs.

While those things sound good, from their perspective at least, it also lets them correct what I consider a major, major mistake and that is offering Win10 in 32bit.
Win 10 should NEVER have been released as 32bit, 64bit CPU support had been common for over 10 years and by offering 32bit, especially perpetually, it meant supporting two systems and all that comes with it, perpetually. Even worse, Win10 and 11 REALLY do need 8gb minimum ram which 32bit can't even support (it could but it doesn't). Yes, I know the spec says 1.5gb (win10) and 4gb (modern Win10 and 11) and while they can physically run on those numbers it;s painful, especially if you open a browser. Even 8gigs is a stretch, heck even 16 is rough at times and while 32gb is not the answer (it doesn't help as much as people think). Allowing 4gb or less is just stupid. 

I don't agree with the TPM requirement, especially considering how last minute all of Win11 was but I do agree they needed to let go of some stuff. In a traditional release they would have let manufacturers know more than a year or more in advance to prep for that major of a change and they didn't. They were told to start implementing or that they should start to implement it, but not that it would be required, remember, "Win10 is the last Windows" so why should they make a change that requires testing and money to make that change. You heard about Win11 and the requirements the same day most vendors did, which is insane. When people ask why I say Win11 was rushed, this is why. It's not that the OS itself was rushed, it's Win10 underneath, it was the idea to bring it to market and with these requirements that was rushed.

Regarding your Mac
I firmly believe Apple put all Mac development into ARM and left everything Intel to fall by the wayside for years. Intel Mac software probably peaked around El Cap or Sierra (at least in my use case) and it's been downhill ever since. I don't expect it to get any better on ARM considering where Apple is headed, I see the Ipad Pro as the blueprint for future Macs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 21:18:14 »
im just straight up too stupid to swap to linux or any other superior operating system and like how most softwares and apps support win10 or are made for it, definitely think its worth it to learn about linux and maybe swap sometime but for now I just like the compatibility of win10 with having to use a VM or anything like that
It's not a matter of superiority, they all have pros and cons.

As for being stupid...
You literally spent YEARS learning Windows, you very likely couldn't to switch to Mac, much less Linux, and be as proficient in a week as you are with Windows. No one can do that and the longer you stay on Windows and Windows alone the harder it becomes to switch or even learn a new one in general. Honestly, it's easier for your granny to switch to Mac or Linux than for you to because she has no expectations at being good at it and the level it requires to reach parity with Windows is relatively low.

I dual boot to play games, most of the time not because I have to or it''s a lot better (performance and even ease of install varies widely with each having pros and cons actually), it's a matter of time. I can get most anything I have to run it's just a matter of do I want to play a game for an hour or would I rather spend an hour trying to get it running? If I just have a hankering to play something once in a while it;s just not always worth the hassle, so dual boot. If it's something I'm binging, I take the time to get it going. And I keep notes so I can do it again later if I have to.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 23:26:31 »
You're welcome.

Yep, any change to the UI (can and often does) lead to stability issues.

I'm not the least surprised they moved on from Win10, I was shocked they even floated the idea without it being software as a service first. Regardless, they may not have had plans to move on but a few things happened. The first was the failed dual screen laptop project, it's what lead to the UI of Win 11, they spent a lot on it and someone probably realized they could recoup that money with a new OS. While they could have rolled it into Win10, that's a pretty dramatic UI shift, so it kind of makes sense to release it fresh. The other part is obviously money, offering it as a new OS means more money, for them and for OEMs.

While those things sound good, from their perspective at least, it also lets them correct what I consider a major, major mistake and that is offering Win10 in 32bit.
Win 10 should NEVER have been released as 32bit, 64bit CPU support had been common for over 10 years and by offering 32bit, especially perpetually, it meant supporting two systems and all that comes with it, perpetually. Even worse, Win10 and 11 REALLY do need 8gb minimum ram which 32bit can't even support (it could but it doesn't). Yes, I know the spec says 1.5gb (win10) and 4gb (modern Win10 and 11) and while they can physically run on those numbers it;s painful, especially if you open a browser. Even 8gigs is a stretch, heck even 16 is rough at times and while 32gb is not the answer (it doesn't help as much as people think). Allowing 4gb or less is just stupid. 

I don't agree with the TPM requirement, especially considering how last minute all of Win11 was but I do agree they needed to let go of some stuff. In a traditional release they would have let manufacturers know more than a year or more in advance to prep for that major of a change and they didn't. They were told to start implementing or that they should start to implement it, but not that it would be required, remember, "Win10 is the last Windows" so why should they make a change that requires testing and money to make that change. You heard about Win11 and the requirements the same day most vendors did, which is insane. When people ask why I say Win11 was rushed, this is why. It's not that the OS itself was rushed, it's Win10 underneath, it was the idea to bring it to market and with these requirements that was rushed.

Regarding your Mac
I firmly believe Apple put all Mac development into ARM and left everything Intel to fall by the wayside for years. Intel Mac software probably peaked around El Cap or Sierra (at least in my use case) and it's been downhill ever since. I don't expect it to get any better on ARM considering where Apple is headed, I see the Ipad Pro as the blueprint for future Macs.

Good information and points.

I'm not sure why they would need to support 32-bit hardware at this point. I do like that 64-bit Windows runs 32-bit applications no problem... something I rather like about Windows is I can very reliably run very old, even ancient software without issue. Meanwhile on Apple, every single year macOS updates seem to break everything, even parts of the Adobe suite.  :eek: Forget about running any kind of "old" software!

I can't say I'm fond of the direction either Microsoft or Apple are heading. Forced/permanent/broken updates are the bane of my existence these days... and to think I used to be an early adopter and excited at the newest updates. I did read that "older" CPUs will be able to run Windows 11, but it's not a direct upgrade path unless you're 8th gen Intel or newer. Seems silly to me as for many people and purposes, there's very little benefit to replace their whole computer. I look at my campus and think of the thousands of computers that would will need to be replaced when they aren't breaking a sweat with their tasks now. It would be such a shame to render them e-waste for naught.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #461 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 08:09:15 »

for naught.

For a long string of naughts following a dollar sign and a number.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #462 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 10:58:24 »
I'm not sure why they would need to support 32-bit hardware at this point. I do like that 64-bit Windows runs 32-bit applications no problem... something I rather like about Windows is I can very reliably run very old, even ancient software without issue. Meanwhile on Apple, every single year macOS updates seem to break everything, even parts of the Adobe suite.  :eek: Forget about running any kind of "old" software!

I can't say I'm fond of the direction either Microsoft or Apple are heading. Forced/permanent/broken updates are the bane of my existence these days... and to think I used to be an early adopter and excited at the newest updates. I did read that "older" CPUs will be able to run Windows 11, but it's not a direct upgrade path unless you're 8th gen Intel or newer. Seems silly to me as for many people and purposes, there's very little benefit to replace their whole computer. I look at my campus and think of the thousands of computers that would will need to be replaced when they aren't breaking a sweat with their tasks now. It would be such a shame to render them e-waste for naught.
I only meant ending 32bit hardware support.
32bit software is already either depricated or virtualized in 64bit Windows, these days it actually runs better on Linux (and sometimes Mac!). I've heard rumors of people running 32bit software in WINE through the Linux subsystem on Windows and gotten better performance than just running it straight on Windows. This can be easily seen on some older games such as Command and Conquer which not only run  faster but also more stable.

Older cpus do work on Win11 but they'll be getting a watermark similar to non-activated Win10 does on the desktop saying it's not compatible. The purpose was to keep shops from selling older systems as Win11 compatible, which as you just said is BS, it works, right? MS claims the TPM requirement made crashes far less common, I don't see how, but they no sooner bragged about this and released an update that took down a bunch of systems like the biggest reason for crashes on Win10 and 11 is Microsoft. Someone will come up with a hack to hide it making the whole thing useless so really what was the point other than to annoy customers? Money and new system sales, that's really all it boils down to. They make nothing on people getting a free OS upgrade but a new system means a new OEM license gets sold.

I'd love to see schools take a few of those older systems and transition them to Linux (maybe even Chrome), there's going to be a ton of incompatible Win11 systems headed for e-waste that could be acquired for cheap/free in the near future.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #463 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 14:29:15 »

I only meant ending 32bit hardware support.
32bit software is already either depricated or virtualized in 64bit Windows, these days it actually runs better on Linux (and sometimes Mac!). I've heard rumors of people running 32bit software in WINE through the Linux subsystem on Windows and gotten better performance than just running it straight on Windows. This can be easily seen on some older games such as Command and Conquer which not only run  faster but also more stable.

Older cpus do work on Win11 but they'll be getting a watermark similar to non-activated Win10 does on the desktop saying it's not compatible. The purpose was to keep shops from selling older systems as Win11 compatible, which as you just said is BS, it works, right? MS claims the TPM requirement made crashes far less common, I don't see how, but they no sooner bragged about this and released an update that took down a bunch of systems like the biggest reason for crashes on Win10 and 11 is Microsoft. Someone will come up with a hack to hide it making the whole thing useless so really what was the point other than to annoy customers? Money and new system sales, that's really all it boils down to. They make nothing on people getting a free OS upgrade but a new system means a new OEM license gets sold.

I'd love to see schools take a few of those older systems and transition them to Linux (maybe even Chrome), there's going to be a ton of incompatible Win11 systems headed for e-waste that could be acquired for cheap/free in the near future.
a bit late, but MS had to support 32bits as they sold with a few PC brands 32bits PC with windows 10, i have a Medion from that era, it is actually not a 32bits CPU but it is a 32bits bios and windows 10 in a 32GB eMMC and 2GB of ram, no 64bits OS can boot on it... i am guessing most of them have gone to e-waste anyway by now though, as since 2020 (maybe before, i had not used it in a long while) an update keeps forcing itself on mine a bricking it because 32GB is not enough to fully install it...
and sadly for schools MS have contracts with education to ensure this does not happen, i know that there was at least one with the french ministry of education while i was at school and i am guessing that it is like that in a few countries (from what i read it was MS gives free windows and office to school and student for exclusivity in education, guarantying a good user-base for the future).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #464 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 16:49:15 »
a bit late, but MS had to support 32bits as they sold with a few PC brands 32bits PC with windows 10, i have a Medion from that era, it is actually not a 32bits CPU but it is a 32bits bios and windows 10 in a 32GB eMMC and 2GB of ram, no 64bits OS can boot on it... i am guessing most of them have gone to e-waste anyway by now though, as since 2020 (maybe before, i had not used it in a long while) an update keeps forcing itself on mine a bricking it because 32GB is not enough to fully install it...
and sadly for schools MS have contracts with education to ensure this does not happen, i know that there was at least one with the french ministry of education while i was at school and i am guessing that it is like that in a few countries (from what i read it was MS gives free windows and office to school and student for exclusivity in education, guarantying a good user-base for the future).

Ms has to support 32bit Win10 because they chose to offer it, my argument is they should not have offered it from the start, we already had 4 generations of 64bit Windows. They did it because they wanted that sweet sweet data harvesting and by excluding 32bit it cut out a lot of older systems. They made their choice,

32bit bios was not just an active choice but a hostile act against users... They chose to do that in order to make it more difficult for Linux to be installed and extend the lifespan of these devices, similar to what they did to the Surface RT. 16 and 32gb EMMC and 2gb ram was for cost cutting reasons, they wanted a foothold in the market and pre-planned obsolescence (they knew it wasn't enough) was just icing on the cake.

MS doesn't give two sh*ts about supporting older systems or longevity.
They didn't do it for schools or to be nice, they did it all for the money, nothing more, nothing less.

MS is fighting a losing battle for schools, Chrome is KILLING them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 17:39:57 »
MS is fighting a losing battle for schools, Chrome is KILLING them.
in France MS Windows is the exclusive OS for all public schools, nothing else in sight, some private schools do use apples or linux machines but even there Chromebooks are extremely rare, and the MS education thing will still give a free windows and office license to those students. maybe MS is losing the battle in the US and it is kinda a good thing, it may force them to make a decent OS to compete for once.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #466 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 10:40:59 »
Only in a VM for use with a certain program.  I hop in to do that one thing, then transfer the results via SSH and hop out.