Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 69930 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 22:17:13 »
I still go through the startup and process lists and disable everything I think is wasting resources with no real payoff, even if there's really no major practical need due to excessively capable hardware. I even wish I had more time/motivation to still go through and strip all of the useless trash out of Windows entirely like I used to with XP.
I stopped doing that about the time Win8 came out, the resource savings and speed increases were no longer worth bothering. I did however limit apps at startup by using Winpatrol but that was also due to privacy and security reasons.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:40:16 »
I installed Win10 Education. Got it for free from my school, and had a spare laptop lying around. It's not bad. I see a lot of bloat has been removed, but I think the Office Suite was preinstalled. Not sure whether I should be glad.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:50:05 »
Most Office hatred stems from the price, the programs themselves are pretty solid.

Other than Outlook,
Outlook needs to die in the fiery pits of hell alongside those who designed it. Seriously, straight to hell.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #353 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 06:00:55 »
Win10 has been really stable for me. I love Linux, but I havenít really loved any of the DEs for them. WSL2 has been the perfect option for me. I can use my Affinity Designer natively when not coding and then drop into my Ubuntu install in the terminal with zsh, run s3cmd, handle all my node stuff, vim, docker, ssh into my server, and other command line things through windows terminal and my Ubuntu distro. The privacy aspect isnít great; however, most things I wouldnít want to advertise are public records anyway (address, voting record, etc).

In short, Win10 has been a good experience for me on the desktop and WSL2 gives me access to the phenomenal terminal of a Linux install.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 06:55:15 »
In short, Win10 has been a good experience for me on the desktop and WSL2 gives me access to the phenomenal terminal of a Linux install.

WSL has made a lot of things easier. We don't allow dual-boot where I work on security grounds, so rather than making researchers choose between a managed Ubuntu or managed Windows 10 environment, we just let them use WSL.
     
     Hub16           HS60 + Tofu                  Melody96

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 17:43:56 »
It really is infuriating that you cannot turn updates off at all but MS keeps releasing forced updates that break my system.

Especially infuriating that the postponing updates setting is really more of a suggestion because if there's a "required update" it will override that setting and install the update regardless.

Every single week. Literally every week, I wind up spending 40mins to an hour fixing something that an update I never wanted broke in my environment. Never EVER had this issue with Win7, now it is a weekly thing that I am sure drives my blood pressure up every time I turn on my workstation only to discover it installed and reset in the middle of the night.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:06:01 »
What kind of stuff do you find broken? Iíve not had anything break in an update on either my home PC or work PC (which is set up for early access updates) so it always seems somewhat circumstantial when I hear about updates breaking stuff.

People at work hate it, of course, because researchers like to be silly and run their intensive fluid dynamics simulations on their £30k workstations which are managed and therefore have updates every two weeks (we tell them when these will be) as opposed to our HPC.
     
     Hub16           HS60 + Tofu                  Melody96

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:45:22 »
What kind of stuff do you find broken? Iíve not had anything break in an update on either my home PC or work PC (which is set up for early access updates) so it always seems somewhat circumstantial when I hear about updates breaking stuff.

People at work hate it, of course, because researchers like to be silly and run their intensive fluid dynamics simulations on their £30k workstations which are managed and therefore have updates every two weeks (we tell them when these will be) as opposed to our HPC.

A lot of it has to do with security permissions, constant sound issues, reformatting my files without permission, resetting right when I'm in the middle of working on something, Win10 intensively using hardware resources as it idles in the background doing literally nothing etc.

It's different nearly every week.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:47:40 »
I hate the pointless re-arranging.
I deal a lot with networking and the right click function on the network icon near the clock has changed multiple times, you never know where it leads. Can I right click on start and get to device manager... Not this version but you can get to the old control panel that way, but not the computer sitting right next to it. 

Pure madness.

Same when it comes to adding features,
I had one recently where the system was crashing, figuring it was a bad update first thing I told them to do was set delayed updates. That didn't exist, the system hadn't been updated in a while and it was that lack of updates causing the problem, the app needed some new included file. I have no issue with MS adding features, the problem is there's no easy way to track them.

Before you had service packs which easily identified what stage of updates the OS was at, now you have some random internal code, like right now the latest major update is 2004. They couldn't pick something more user friendly than something that looks like a date from years gone by? And where do you find this? Oh, it's buried. Gee thanks. Buried also means people making tutorials on fixing problems won't mention it and that creates a whole new set of issues.

How bad do you think all of the tutorials will be in 2 years, or even 4 or 6 years from now?
"Just click on control panel"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:48:02 »
I hate the pointless re-arranging.
I deal a lot with networking and the right click function on the network icon near the clock has changed multiple times, you never know where it leads. Can I right click on start and get to device manager... Not this version but you can get to the old control panel that way, but not the computer sitting right next to it. 

Pure madness.

Yeah, agreed. M$' organization has seemed to usually get steadily worse with each change in interface to begin with, though 10 walked back a lot of the abominations of 8. Don't Win + X and right clicking the start button give you the same context menu? I could have sworn device manager has been in there from the start, and I'm pretty sure I have already used it on "2004" systems as well.

Offline jamster

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 10:12:10 »
Microsoft seems to do UI by committee, it is terrible. All of their enterprise stuff drives me insane, and yes, the constant tweaking with each win10 update is incredibly frustrating.

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #361 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 08:10:36 »
I wouldn't mind MS trying to make people use the new Metro settings menu, I really wouldn't....IF they would stop REMOVING FEATURES.

DON'T FORCE ME TO USE THE NEW SETTINGS MENU WHEN YOU HAVEN'T ADDED ALL THE SETTINGS IN THERE YET.

Particularly with sound. The new sound menu is absolutely atrocious, and the old one (still accessible) works perfectly fine, no bugs, nothing wrong with it. I do a lot of complicated sound setup when I'm working with various programs (voicemeeter pro, resanance, voicemod, VR things from time to time...) and I don't even waste my time with the new menu anymore. Literally made a shortcut and set a ctrl+alt+] hotkey for it so I can pull it up quickly.
7 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:WholesomeDucky#9999
Inbox always open, for any reason.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 09:59:03 »
Particularly with sound. The new sound menu is absolutely atrocious, and the old one (still accessible) works perfectly fine, no bugs, nothing wrong with it. I do a lot of complicated sound setup when I'm working with various programs (voicemeeter pro, resanance, voicemod, VR things from time to time...) and I don't even waste my time with the new menu anymore. Literally made a shortcut and set a ctrl+alt+] hotkey for it so I can pull it up quickly.

Yes, this can't be understated. I miss having a quickly-accessible test button to make sure all of the speakers are working, etc. I used this constantly in Windows 7 since every room down a hallway may have a slightly different setup in some of these schools.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 18:48:22 »
Switched Tp4's x220 to Win 10 pro,  runs prettty fast so far..  latest win10 build version has better gpu support for the ol'HD3000

I would say slightly faster than win 7 for newer applications

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 19:25:33 »
Recently decided to quit videogames and focus more on development and so I knew I needed to move away from Windows as there were too many reminders of gaming.  Started dual booting with Manjaro Linux.  Has been working out great so far.   I love Manjaro as I have access to the Arch User Repository and the aesthetic and UI is almost perfect out of the box with Manjaro.  I use an ultrawide monitor so the window snapping and workspaces are a godsend.  The manjaro terminal is something that I love as well, the transparent aesthetic is much appreciated.

There are a few things I don't like about linux however.  The first being I need to find a better image manager/editor than digikam since its slow and can't access folders directly. Another thing I don't like is that there isn't any official Onenote support.  The other thing I don't like is that the file browser needs more robust view options.  I can't configure thumbnail sizes like I can in windows.   
I still have Win10 on an SSD but really only use it for photo editing and for xwhatsit configuration software(missing dependency avr-gcc in linux, can't figure out how to remediate)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 22:35:54 »
The other thing I don't like is that the file browser needs more robust view options.  I can't configure thumbnail sizes like I can in windows.   
This depends on the desktop environment you use, Manjaro isn't an environment just a distro. The file manager is desktop environment based, for example Plasma comes with Dolphin which is way better than the garbage Gnome uses (Nautilus). They're interchangeable regardless of desktop environment (and many to pick from) you just need to try a few. I think the one Ubuntu or Mint uses (might be Nautilus) does support One Drive, not the normal way but it does do cloud storage.

Kind of odd that an OS that hosts most cloud storage has such horrible support for those systems.

Offline MarrniHigginsFirstOne

« Reply #366 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 13:08:39 »
I was using xp,7 and now I am on 10. So I can say for sure this is the best version of windows now.
No doubt. But I think that is all about time, it can be weird if you got xp on your pc in our times.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Best software translation services https://pickwriters.com/software-localization are here! Visit if you want to discover new things for yourself in other languages
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:58:42 by MarrniHigginsFirstOne »