Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 58811 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:53:46 »
I don't user Windows at all but the wife has got three computer in her SOHO: two Windows machine and an OS X one.  The two Windows machines are on Windows 8.1 and if I recall correctly I installed "Never 10" on both of these as soon as she got them, so that the machines wouldn't suddenly upgrade to 10 overnight in case she mis-clicks one of these infamous "Aren't you not sure you don't want to not upgrade now or later?" with then three possible choices like "maybe / I cannot say I don't want not to / remind me tomorrow" (well, I'm being facetious obviously but you know what I'm talking about: users upgrading by mistake to a version they didn't plan to upgrade to).

Speaking of which, in the first page of this thread a user posted "I still have a sour taste in my mouth over how aggressive Microsoft was in encouraging (tricking) people into upgrading.".  That's what I'm talking about.

"Never 10" seems to be doing it's job fine since, well, years now as both machines are still on 8.1 and she's not constantly nagged by popups trying to trick her into upgrading to 10.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:07:30 »
This has now become a monthly routine - Win10 takes a security update after I tell it to not to take any updates and even rewrite system files to disable it, and wouldn't ya know, the update breaks my comp every damn time.

I can't disable them, can't stop them, and 100% of the time they break something important.

I guess this is just life with Windows 10

Hey on the upside I'm getting really good at identifying and troubleshooting Win10
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:13:13 by noisyturtle »

Offline typo

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:44:39 »
I use it because I am on fast track and I get paid to evaluate the bugs :)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:01:19 »
I've gotta say that I use Windows because I have it set up exactly the way I like it. You normally hear this about Linux guys, but I have it for Windows. Cool animated wallpapers that use the GPU, Lightroom and a **** ton of presets for photos, easy stuff. Games are less important even though I did spend ****ing $500 on this video card to play games, I still barely ever play em, but they're also a priority. So yeah, every few months I go and try to install a new Linux distro and just go back to Windows because it works how I want it to. I only ever do Linux if it's on an older computer where Windows has too much overhead, and the way I have it set up is too much of a hassle.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 08:57:31 »
This has now become a monthly routine - Win10 takes a security update after I tell it to not to take any updates and even rewrite system files to disable it, and wouldn't ya know, the update breaks my comp every damn time.

I can't disable them, can't stop them, and 100% of the time they break something important.

I guess this is just life with Windows 10

Hey on the upside I'm getting really good at identifying and troubleshooting Win10

I don't know how you keep running into weird problems like that. A lot of the computers in our district are already all running Windows 10. I have been using it on all of my somewhat modern computers since 10 first went into beta testing. I have had continuously updated 10 installs running without a fresh reinstall for 2-3 years straight with all updates turned on without ever encountering a problem like this.

I have had a few profile problems, and a few driver problems when 10 was still going through growing pains, and that's it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:14:28 »
I think it was Microsoft's way of telling me they no longer support my hardware. After ripping it out and using the base mobo sound I've had no issues with Windows getting confused. They did the same thing forcing me to switch over from 7, just gradually break each thing 'till I've had enough and comply.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:15:38 »
I think it was Microsoft's way of telling me they no longer support my hardware. After ripping it out and using the base mobo sound I've had no issues with Windows getting confused. They did the same thing forcing me to switch over from 7, just gradually break each thing 'till I've had enough and comply.

Which hardware? M$' default drivers suck anyway. I don't use them. I have mentioned it in this thread, but I have had 10 running with 100% functionality on tons of random hardware, including one of the first Intel-based Macbook Pros, which is not supported at all by Apple. I don't think they even supported past Windows 7 on that laptop.