Author Topic: Mouse alternative for an Ergodox  (Read 3087 times)

Offline dougui

Mouse alternative for an Ergodox
« on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 08:43:09 »
Hi,

I have an Ergodox EZ and I want something to have an access to the mouse easily. I want to limit the moves of my hand. At the moment, I think a trackpoint is the best solution but I have to buy the whole keyboard, extract the trackpoint from it, open my keybord, etc. I'm not very confortable with all that things and I want to be sure before to do it.

In your opinion what's the best alternative to mouse? Is there documentationt do it?

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Mouse alternative for an Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 09:12:40 »
I've been using a Kensington Orbit (with scroll ring) trackball along my EZ, and it's lovely. With a trackball, you don't necessarily need to mod your keyboard, yet, your hand moves a LOT less than with a mouse. The Orbit so far is superb, the ball is easy to control, took about 15 minutes to get used to it (though, precision is a bit of an issue, but I at least don't need all that much of it). And the scroll ring is orders of macnitudes better than any scroll wheel I have tried before.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 11:41:11 »
I use my mouse in the middle between the keyboards.

I'm on a standing desk which makes this easier than on sitting desk,  but as long as your keyboard tray is at the proper height 3 inch below your elbows..  Then it should work even when sitting..

The trouble has always been that the keyboard tray height isn't adjustable.

You could also drill some holes in your desk and mount the sliders lower..

Offline dougui

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 14:54:38 »
@tp4tissue I have the mouse between my keyboards but I'm not very satisfied. I think a better solution is possible.

@algernon I think it's the best solution available without modifying the keyboard. I think I will use it but I keep the idea of a trackpoint in mind.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:38:09 »
Maybe a graphics tablet? As long as you can fit the tablet between the board/s and yourself it should be a pretty small movement