Author Topic: Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard Released (Hot-Swappable Switches)  (Read 30639 times)

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
    Hey guys,

The Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard has now been released and available for purchase. The board has been in development for around 8 months or so and we incorporated several of the feedback and data we collected from the MK communities into this board.  The tl;dr is that the GMMK features a patent-pending design that allows you to easily swap between Cherry, Gateron, and Kailh switches, with thick high quality ABS DB keycaps, aluminum frame, and minimalistic design.

PRODUCT FEATURES:
  • Full modular, mechanical keys - Hot-swappable switches. Easily remove and install any MX-based switch without any soldering. Personalize to what works for you, and use any combinations of switches!
  • LED Backlighting - Red LED lights with 7 pre-installed effects, and 1 slot for user-defined effect. Variable animation speeds and brightness settings. 
  • Easy Access Hot-Keys - Directly access shortcuts to productivity, internet, and multimedia functions
  • Sandblasted Aluminum Faceplate - Professional-grade aluminum delivers a premium look and feel
  • Raised Keys, Minimalist design - No visible branding on keyboard to make your battlestation look clean as possible. Raised key design allows you to easily clean your keyboard.

1 year limited Manufacturer Warranty

Price: $99.99 USD [via MFR site][via Amazon Prime]

Link with more details and videos:
http://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-full-size-104-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

Reviews:

PICTURES:

[/list]
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:21:42 by Glorious »

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard Released (Hot-Swappable Switches)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 05:22:04 »
The SMD led doesn't interfere with nonsmd compatible switches? So any switches on the market will fit?

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 10:43:53 »
The SMD led doesn't interfere with nonsmd compatible switches? So any switches on the market will fit?

Yep! Any switch regardless of LED compatible or not.

If you want the light to shine through on a particular LED switch that you already own you can always drill a small hole in the housing to let the light shine through.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 18:56:53 »
What is the rated durability of the copper contact slots..   how many swaps..

Offline antftw1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 03:04:47 »
I'd jump on this if it were TKL. Any plans?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 04:06:54 »
Seconded.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:42:59 »

We tested over 300+ swaps on about 8 production boards and saw no issues (different switches). We don't really expect anyone to swap out that many times, realistically you would probably swap out switches less than 5 times...but its built to last if you really were that crazy :P.

Seconded.

Yes there is a TKL version planned, but probably towards early 2017.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:49:17 »
Wow this is fantastic. I might have to grab one for work where the 104 comes in handy!
Price is right.
-Dana

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 21:29:43 »

I know this will sound ridiculous considering all the work you're putting in, but I hope there will be a 60% as well?

It would be cool to have a board that I could constantly test on new switches and switch mods.

Offline dtaflorida

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 11:28:23 »
Sweet, Glorious also sell Gateron SMD switches on their site at a good price too!

I'm waiting for an RGB version.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:26:02 »
Wasn't there a plate/pcb released a long while back that was compatible with both Alps and Cherry?

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:27:32 »
Wasn't there a plate/pcb released a long while back that was compatible with both Alps and Cherry?
The Planck is alps/mx compatible, as is the new van keyboard, but the pins are different I believe so a hotswapable version would be difficult.

Offline trillobite

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 17:02:01 »
Wow, this is actually a very nice design. The whole reason why I got into the "MX" mechanical keyboard market, was because of the ability to customize the boards, and replace components. Everything seems to float around the MX style components, as if it has become an established standard (which is good).

While the world seems to be ever pushing into a realm of non-serviceable products, it makes me happy to see the PC gaming market, we are within a new golden era of hardware hacking.  :thumb:

Btw, have you asked the TekSyndicate to review this keyboard?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2016, 17:04:02 by trillobite »

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 20:05:10 »
I might grab one of these....but will probably wait till a TKL.
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 17:32:58 »

Hey good point .. 

I am wondering that Myself..

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 17:39:35 »
There should be a lower priced barebones version that comes with no caps or switches.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 10:02:04 »
What happens when the mechanical joint wears out? All mechanical joints do, so if I changed switches a bunch of times and the switches start to not register - what happens? Do I get a new board?

I got boards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 10:21:04 »
What happens when the mechanical joint wears out? All mechanical joints do, so if I changed switches a bunch of times and the switches start to not register - what happens? Do I get a new board?

Yea I'm looking at that mechanism, it doesn't seem repairable ,  which is why I'm concerned with finding out what their testing shows on the number of swaps..

Also, guys keep in mind..  EVEN if a switch WORKS,  a lose connection at that junction causes electronic CHATTER...  which means that the keyboard may at a -fundamental level- become unreliable..

Offline kasakka

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 12:00:08 »

Sounds like something that would be quite unlikely to happen. I imagine most will eventually settle on some combination of switches that works for them so the adding and removing of switches happens maybe at most a few times per switch type.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 12:41:53 »

Sounds like something that would be quite unlikely to happen. I imagine most will eventually settle on some combination of switches that works for them so the adding and removing of switches happens maybe at most a few times per switch type.

Sure that's a possibility   But it'd still be nice to know Approximately what the durability is on the slots.

Offline mathilda

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:40:02 »
Will the switch go out too when I pull out the keycap?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:46:59 »
"hot-swapable switches" might sound good but how often would you really be swapping them?

Knowing the importance of a solid connection from pcb to your switch lead, I'd prefer the reliability of a well soldered connection.

DUDE PASS ME 4 MX REDS! GONNA CHANGE OUT MY WASD CLUSTER FOR COUNTER STRIKE THEN GO BACK TO BROWNS FOR DOTA 2!

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:37:58 »
I'll wait till 75% :D

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 19:57:04 »

If this happens to you during your warranty period, then yes.

Btw, have you asked the TekSyndicate to review this keyboard?

Haven't asked them yet, gonna ask Logan if he is interested in a board soon :)

I know this will sound ridiculous considering all the work you're putting in, but I hope there will be a 60% as well?

It would be cool to have a board that I could constantly test on new switches and switch mods.

Probably after the TKL, not any time soon.

"hot-swapable switches" might sound good but how often would you really be swapping them?

Knowing the importance of a solid connection from pcb to your switch lead, I'd prefer the reliability of a well soldered connection.

DUDE PASS ME 4 MX REDS! GONNA CHANGE OUT MY WASD CLUSTER FOR COUNTER STRIKE THEN GO BACK TO BROWNS FOR DOTA 2!

The idea is to provide an option where you could swap out your switches to another type if you ever felt like trying out a new switch. Yea you could always buy another keyboard, or solder in your own switches. But why buy an entire new keyboard on a switch type you are not comfortable with? And what if I don't want to sit their and de-solder and re-solder all the switches on a keyboard?

Its not a board for everyone, but there are many that could benefit from it.

There should be a lower priced barebones version that comes with no caps or switches.

Perhaps!

Will the switch go out too when I pull out the keycap?

No

I'll wait till 75% :D

Hopefully early 2017 :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:46:36 »
The idea is to provide an option where you could swap out your switches to another type if you ever felt like trying out a new switch. Yea you could always buy another keyboard, or solder in your own switches. But why buy an entire new keyboard on a switch type you are not comfortable with? And what if I don't want to sit their and de-solder and re-solder all the switches on a keyboard?
I've been using a PCB-mount keyboard for testing various switch variants for years. No need for soldering either.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:47:41 »
What is the rated durability of the copper contact slots..   APPROXIMATELY how many swaps..
I'm sure they probably don't even know, or if they do they aren't in any hurry to let people know. Which is a shame because it's quite useful information.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:22:55 »
What is the rated durability of the copper contact slots..   APPROXIMATELY how many swaps..
I'm sure they probably don't even know, or if they do they aren't in any hurry to let people know. Which is a shame because it's quite useful information.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:35:35 »
from experience swapping switches in and out of plates (i test all my plates when i make them with switches) the little clips switches use to hole themselves to the plate (for dear life) will be damaged when removing them. so i guess the question is does this board hold the switches securely enough to re-use switches once they have been pulled from the plate more than once. if so about how may times in your experience? full switch removal usually happens when swapping key caps. happened to me before.

also when are you going to get Terry Cruze for your mascot?
i ask ... because reasons

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:51:48 »
looks great!

but you DO know that there's already something like that in the market right? but i have to say this one's all subtle and stealth, and a TKL is def a good thing.

Offline ryan92084

• Consumer ****
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 08:58:50 »
Yeah, I can think of 3 others hotswap boards that predate this one.
The RemainderKeyboards 62/60 was this concept but just a different form factor.  Unfortunately the creator is MiA after the test round.
The smart68 trades rgb smd LEDs for hotswap standard LEDs plus some other unique features.
The TeamWolf TKL but that uses propriety switch holders and the smd leds aren't aren't rgb.

That said this "glorious" board deserves props for being the first (afaik) full size, being very affordable, and including some quality looking caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 09:13:58 by ryan92084 »

RiP *ucky Shine(ing)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 09:23:50 »

Its not a board for everyone, but there are many that could benefit from it.

I totally get the concept and could see there would be some market for it but this isn't the first time it's been brought up. Years back there was a Chinese guy who built the same thing (prototype I believe) and the same concerns of bad contacts between the switch leads and sip sockets (or whatever they're called) could be a an issue. Good luck! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think part of it is posted on GH, you could probably search for it..

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:03:27 »
i think the idea is solid. buy keyboard, want different switches, swap, done. so for a keyboard noob this could be a good first board type option allowing them to put the switches they want in the places they want. but by the time you buy all new switches 3 times you might as well of just bought another keyboard.

A+ for concept, its a great way to feel your way thought the switches and get the board exactly how you want it, especially if you like multiple different types of switches on your board. would be cool to see different layouts/formats and more functions other than the standard media keys etc. perhaps fully programmable layouts?
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 08:25:49 »
Hmmmm.... looks interesting.
INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 19:53:34 »

On a particular position on the keyboard, you can swap out around ~70 times before the durability of the contact slots will cause issues (on the keyboard PCB). That being said, the durability of the copper on a specific switch is much less <20 swaps. So you would have to get a replacement switch if you do pull it and use it around that often. Hope that answers your question :).

from experience swapping switches in and out of plates (i test all my plates when i make them with switches) the little clips switches use to hole themselves to the plate (for dear life) will be damaged when removing them. so i guess the question is does this board hold the switches securely enough to re-use switches once they have been pulled from the plate more than once. if so about how may times in your experience? full switch removal usually happens when swapping key caps. happened to me before.

This is an issue with the Team Wolf's brand, the sizing for Gateron/Cherry switches is too tight, making removing difficult, and causing a super tight fit to board adding stress on clips. TW board was designed for Outmeu switches, not Cherry and Gateron.

So to answer your question, yes our board holds the switches securely enough without causing stress on the clips, and yes you can easily remove them without damaging the switch's housing.

And we did do something fun to honor Terry Crews a bit ago :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 19:56:42 »

On a particular position on the keyboard, you can swap out around ~70 times before the durability of the contact slots will cause issues (on the keyboard PCB). That being said, the durability of the copper on a specific switch is much less <20 swaps. So you would have to get a replacement switch if you do pull it and use it around that often. Hope that answers your question :).

This is an issue with the Team Wolf's brand, the sizing for Gateron/Cherry switches is too tight, making removing difficult, and causing a super tight fit to board adding stress on clips. TW board was designed for Outmeu switches, not Cherry and Gateron.

So to answer your question, yes our board holds the switches securely enough without causing stress on the clips, and yes you can easily remove them without damaging the switch's housing.

And we did do something fun to honor Terry Crews a bit ago :)
Awesome good stuff here. I need a wrist wrest. Been talking about one from you guys for years. Need to breakdown and get me one lol.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 20:02:04 »
I also have to add, I really like the look of the keyboard. It's sleek and the font on the caps isn't some ugly "gaymurr" font. I still would prefer an even plainer font like Helvecta

Offline SLOWION

• Jerry Neutron
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 03:41:37 »
this is definitely an interesting concept
YouTube: Jerry Neutron | Steam ID: SLOWION

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 03:56:36 »

I would at the very least buy a mousepad if this happens :)

Offline keyladding

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:27:13 »

Terry CREWS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:10:27 »
70, swaps.. That should be more than enough.....

Thanks for the Info.. :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 03:12:21 »

Terry CREWS

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 23:43:35 »
Any plans for a 60% keyboard??

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 11:07:19 »

Yes, but after the TKL version :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:18:24 »

Yes, but after the TKL version :)

sounds glorious  ;D
Projects

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 15:01:24 »
Would you consider making one of these keyboards in for Alps switches (and sell them with Matias installed)?

That would be my dream!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 17:36:51 »
Would you consider making one of these keyboards in for Alps switches (and sell them with Matias installed)?

That would be my dream!
I doubt this will happen but man it would be great.

I have seen a plate/pcb that was both MX/Alps compatible. Would love to have Alps and MX co-exist in harmony.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 07:35:27 »
How easy is it to change the case?

Offline Glorious

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 10:40:52 »
How easy is it to change the case?

All the screws to remove are on the top, so you would have to pull off all the keycaps to do so.

That would be my dream!

This is possible to do, but not the route we are planning to take right now. Maybe in the future or as a stand-alone barebones kit option.

-------

Also two reviews are now posted:

Reviews: